OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 12:28:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochians forbidden to wear cassocks???  (Read 1480 times) Average Rating: 0
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« on: May 31, 2003, 09:39:22 AM »

On one of the mailing lists I am on an Antiochian priest shocked us all with the following, "Metropolitan Philip sent a directive to all of the Antiochian clergy a few weeks ago that they are not to wear their cassocks outside of the church. He also said that 'discipline and consistency among the clergy' were going to be strictly enforced, and he forbid them to concelebrate with clergy from the Jerusalem Patriarchate."

Thoughts?

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 10:12:34 AM »

Nik,

XB!

Are you certain of the authenticity of this person and the report?  

It is common knowledge that the Antiochians do not wear cassocks much.  To be forbidden seems a bit harsh.  From what I hear the arrival of the JP has created some tensions.  The question has to be asked "what is the JP doing here establishing parishes?"

If any of the report is true perhaps it is justified in the same letter.  I have become very skeptical of such reports even from supposed priests unless they sign their name and I can verify they exist.

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 10:53:29 AM »

Nik,

Each local auxiliary bishop in the Antiochian group applies the norms that Met. Philip decrees to his own deanery.  I am told that Bp Basil tells his priests they can wear cassocks and even kamilavki.  Bp Joseph says no headwear whatsoever.  Etc Etc.

The question remains: what are they going to do, send spies to get their priests? LOL

I think that it's silly myself.  They are so concerned with looking American.  They even make up stories about how cassocks are a "T----sh development" which is of course a total fantasy (priests in the Roman empire wore white cassocks, and only switched to black when the T----s invaded.)  ----source, a wonderful book titled The Blessed Rasson.

This is a major reason why I am considering the Greeks over the Antiochians: whereas I don't think cassock wearing is *the* major issue, when a jurisdiction goes out of its way to try and fit in, and goes so far as *banning* cassocks (I can accept the moderate practice of the OCA, where even though you see priests in that business suit thing, they are not FORCED to wear it if they don't want to, and where no one judges others for wearing one or the other) it makes me wonder where their priorities are.

It's a shame because I think the Antiochians are the only Orthodox group really doing a good job evangelizing large numbers of people, and I know that the Antiochian priests are usually the nicest, warmest people.  Even Met. Philip is a very forgiving, nice man.  He forgave a friend of mine who was a priest and left them for HOCNA, writing a nasty letter to Met. Philip and quiting.  A year later he begged forgiveness and asked to be admitted even as a layman--Met. Philip made him a priest again. Another thing I like about the Antiochians is their willingness to explore second marriages of priests and married bishops. Yet I know if I joined them I would constantly feel out of sync with my bishop in areas of traditional discipline and that wouldn't be good.*

anastasios

* (Some of you may be thinking "what?!" when you see me saying I support exploring married bishops but I am a stickler about cassocks.  You probably either think a) that I am focused only on externals or b) you think I am just crazy.  Grin  My issue is this: there has always been flux in theology, debates, movements, etc.  Married bishops and second marriages of priests is an issue I feel strongly about, especially after reading Vested in Grace.  However, the Church has always been strong on traditional fasting, traditional discipline, and traditional appearence of clergy.  So I find myself very upset when I see clergy not doing such.  I also find it a total loss of missionary opportunity.  My priest wears his riassa constantly and he gets converts because of it).

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 11:21:52 AM »

Anastasios,

Good post.  Is the priest you're referring to Fr. Edward... if that's the case, it may not be because he has long hair, a beard, and wears a cassock continually.  It may be because he has long hair, a beard, and wears a cassock continually while riding his motorcycle.  Grin

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2003, 11:34:57 AM »

What about obedience to one's hierarch?

--Subdeacon Tikhon

You make a good point: we must be obedient to the hierarch. But it sure makes it hard when the hierarch changes longstanding Orthodox customs unilaterally and then on top of that invents reasons why it should have been so (it was a T---sh development, for instance).

One must be obedient to ones hierarch but one must follow one's conscience...therefore when a hierarch legislates something like this it is not good, because he is in essence creating a conscience issue for some of his clergy that they should not have to deal with.  The OCA's laissez-faire approach to clerical garb is much, much more pastoral.

anastasios
« Last Edit: May 31, 2003, 11:35:24 AM by anastasios » Logged

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tags: clerical dress vestments 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: