OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 01:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Doctrinal Development  (Read 990 times) Average Rating: 0
Catholig

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« on: November 14, 2007, 01:05:54 AM »

Hello everyone,

Has any synod/council in the Orthodox Church defined anything infallibly since the Great Schism on par with the Immaculate Conception, or Papal Infallibility?

Catholig
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:12:15 AM »

For reference - Orthodox Listing of Synods and Councils:

http://www.mb-soft.com/believe/txw/orthcoun.htm

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Catholig

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:25:28 AM »

I had a quick look at these, and it raised a few other questions about some of these councils, but I'm not sure if I should start another thread or not? Would the Moderators mind if I derail or move my thread on to a slightly different subject (i.e. questioning a few of the rulings of these councils and asking for explanations?)

Catholig
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:38:46 AM »

No.  That's exactly the major difference with Orthodoxy, only an Ecumenical Synod can define doctrine.  The last Ecumenical Synod met in 787.  Even the Great and Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church, which has been in a planning phase since for the past -80- years, is not considering any doctrinal matters.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 09:13:41 AM »

I had a quick look at these, and it raised a few other questions about some of these councils, but I'm not sure if I should start another thread or not? Would the Moderators mind if I derail or move my thread on to a slightly different subject (i.e. questioning a few of the rulings of these councils and asking for explanations?)

Catholig

Prefer you simply open a new thread for your new topic.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags: Immaculate Conception 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: