Author Topic: Orthodox Doctrinal Development  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Catholig

Orthodox Doctrinal Development
« on: November 14, 2007, 01:05:54 AM »
Hello everyone,

Has any synod/council in the Orthodox Church defined anything infallibly since the Great Schism on par with the Immaculate Conception, or Papal Infallibility?

Catholig

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
Re: Orthodox Doctrinal Development
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:12:15 AM »
For reference - Orthodox Listing of Synods and Councils:

http://www.mb-soft.com/believe/txw/orthcoun.htm
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Catholig

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:25:28 AM »
I had a quick look at these, and it raised a few other questions about some of these councils, but I'm not sure if I should start another thread or not? Would the Moderators mind if I derail or move my thread on to a slightly different subject (i.e. questioning a few of the rulings of these councils and asking for explanations?)

Catholig

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:38:46 AM »
No.  That's exactly the major difference with Orthodoxy, only an Ecumenical Synod can define doctrine.  The last Ecumenical Synod met in 787.  Even the Great and Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church, which has been in a planning phase since for the past -80- years, is not considering any doctrinal matters.
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 09:13:41 AM »
I had a quick look at these, and it raised a few other questions about some of these councils, but I'm not sure if I should start another thread or not? Would the Moderators mind if I derail or move my thread on to a slightly different subject (i.e. questioning a few of the rulings of these councils and asking for explanations?)

Catholig

Prefer you simply open a new thread for your new topic.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides