OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 05:49:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the official Orthodox belief regarding NFP and ABC?  (Read 2707 times) Average Rating: 0
Magicsilence
CAF driftwood

Maronite Catholic

« on: November 13, 2007, 08:44:56 PM »

Since this is one of many topics that was culled recently at CAF, what better place to get an Orthodox response than here  Grin

Would the Orthodox mind detailing what exactly the Orthodox position IS regarding NFP and ABC, and how you know what the position is?

Are they accepted, or rejected, other?

Peace and God Bless!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:45:37 PM by Magicsilence » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 08:57:35 PM »

I'm not sure any official views have been expressed.

A couple existing threads of possible interest:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,3787.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13349.msg184439/topicseen.html#msg184439

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 09:11:09 PM »

Would the Orthodox mind detailing what exactly the Orthodox position IS regarding NFP and ABC, and how you know what the position is?
Well, my personal opinion on ABC is that it is a wonderful organization promoting the sport of bowling, or else either an American or Australian television company. Either way, they have a few decent shows and a lot of rubbish.

In all seriousness, I think it would help this topic if you would explain these acronyms.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:35:52 PM »

Well, my personal opinion on ABC is that it is a wonderful organization promoting the sport of bowling, or else either an American or Australian television company. Either way, they have a few decent shows and a lot of rubbish.

In all seriousness, I think it would help this topic if you would explain these acronyms.

Maybe "Natural Family Planning" and "Artificial Birth Control"?

Since this is one of many topics that was culled recently at CAF, what better place to get an Orthodox response than here  Grin

Are they accepted, or rejected, other?

Peace and God Bless! 

As for NFP - don't see any problem with it. 

As for ABC - it depends on who you ask.  I haven't researched it enough to give you the full logic on either side; I will say that in my reading of St. John Chrysostom, he makes it clear that reproduction is not an essential element of marriage/marital relations.  However, any type of ABC that is an abortifacient would be rejected, since this would imply fertilization has occurred.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: birth control contraception 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: