Author Topic: Teach me prayers in Arabic  (Read 42426 times)

Offline SamB

• High Elder
  • Crates of araq for sale! *hic*
Re: Teach me prayers in Arabic
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010, 10:14:11 PM »
Yaa al'laah irHamni analkhaaTi'

Min ajlismika translates 'for the sake of Thy Name'

The paranthesised 'in' can be pronounced optionally (it is the combination of the case declension with the indefinite sign)--Arabic sometimes leaves room to drop some endings when pronouncing.

I think you're right, but we would say 'O our god' with the possessive adjective, so discard rajaa'ana.

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:15:05 PM by SamB »

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2013, 09:03:57 PM »
Would someone happen to know what dialect of Arabic is used in the Antiochian Orthodox Church? Is it Levantine or Classical Arabic?

Peace.

Offline Cantor Krishnich

• High Elder
  • Mar Ahmed the Daftadar
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »
Would someone happen to know what dialect of Arabic is used in the Antiochian Orthodox Church? Is it Levantine or Classical Arabic?

Peace.

I think all of the Arabic Eastern Orthodox Churches use Al-Fusha (Modern Standard Dialect) dialect but much of what I've heard sounds very Levantine. Also worth noting, the Gulf Diocese of the Antiochian Church occasionally takes use of the Khaliji (Gulf) dialect. 
Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/GOA
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2015, 11:46:15 AM »
I realize this thread is old, but I was hoping someone could help me get "Lord, I have cried" in transliterated Arabic. Currently working on learning the alphabet, but a head start with some hymns would help.  I'm using Subdcn. Karim El-Far's site to help with the melodies.
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »
^"Ya rub ilayk surukht"
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2015, 01:34:46 PM »
^"Ya rub ilayk surukht"
Thanks, Severian. I looking more for the whole hymn as done at Vespers in the Byzantine rite, like on this site.
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
^"Ya rub ilayk surukht"
Thanks, Severian. I looking more for the whole hymn as done at Vespers in the Byzantine rite, like on this site.
I'll see what I can do.
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
I realize this thread is old, but I was hoping someone could help me get "Lord, I have cried" in transliterated Arabic. Currently working on learning the alphabet, but a head start with some hymns would help.  I'm using Subdcn. Karim El-Far's site to help with the melodies.
I strongly recommend you to focus on the learning the alphabet, because, as you know, there are some sounds in Arabic not present in other languages so it's difficult to "show" these sounds in the transcription, though there are some academic Arabic trascription systems. However, most of Arabic texts doesn't contain short vowels and grammatic endings (btw, Severian wrote the transcription without these endings), so I think you'd better read the text in Arabic and just put the vowels and grammatical endings to it (using pen if you can print it or on computer, however it may be tiring).
That's text in Arabic
يا رب إليك صرخت فاستمع لي استمع لي يا رب. يا رب إليك صرخت فاستمع لي أنصِتْ لصوتي تضرُّعي إذا ما صرخت إليك استمع لي يا رب. لتستقم صلاتي كالبخور أمامك وارتفاعُ يديّ كذبيحة مسائيّة استمع لي يا رب. اجعل يا رب حارساً لفمي وباباً حصيناً لشفتيّ. لا تُمل قلبي إلى كلام الشر فيتعللّ بعلل الخطايا. مع الناس العاملي الإثم ولا أتفق مع مختاريهم. سيؤدبني الصدّيق برحمةٍ ويوبّخني أماّ زيت الخاطئ فلا يُدهن به رأسي. لأن صلاتي أيضاُ في مسرتهم قد ابتلعت قضاتهم ملتصقين بصخرةٍ. يسمعون كلماتي فإنها قد استُلذت مثل سمن الأرض المُنشق على الأرض تبدّدت عظامهم حول الجحيم.لأن يا رب يا رب إليك عينيّ وعليك توكّلت فلا تنزع نفسي. احفظني من الفخ الذي نصبوهُ لي ومن معاثر فاعليّ الإثم. تسقط الخطأة في مصائدهم، وأكون أنا على إنفراد إلى أن أعبر
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »
I strongly recommend you to focus on the learning the alphabet, because, as you know, there are some sounds in Arabic not present in other languages so it's difficult to "show" these sounds in the transcription, though there are some academic Arabic trascription systems. However, most of Arabic texts doesn't contain short vowels and grammatic endings (btw, Severian wrote the transcription without these endings), so I think you'd better read the text in Arabic and just put the vowels and grammatical endings to it (using pen if you can print it or on computer, however it may be tiring).
That's text in Arabic
يا رب إليك صرخت فاستمع لي استمع لي يا رب. يا رب إليك صرخت فاستمع لي أنصِتْ لصوتي تضرُّعي إذا ما صرخت إليك استمع لي يا رب. لتستقم صلاتي كالبخور أمامك وارتفاعُ يديّ كذبيحة مسائيّة استمع لي يا رب. اجعل يا رب حارساً لفمي وباباً حصيناً لشفتيّ. لا تُمل قلبي إلى كلام الشر فيتعللّ بعلل الخطايا. مع الناس العاملي الإثم ولا أتفق مع مختاريهم. سيؤدبني الصدّيق برحمةٍ ويوبّخني أماّ زيت الخاطئ فلا يُدهن به رأسي. لأن صلاتي أيضاُ في مسرتهم قد ابتلعت قضاتهم ملتصقين بصخرةٍ. يسمعون كلماتي فإنها قد استُلذت مثل سمن الأرض المُنشق على الأرض تبدّدت عظامهم حول الجحيم.لأن يا رب يا رب إليك عينيّ وعليك توكّلت فلا تنزع نفسي. احفظني من الفخ الذي نصبوهُ لي ومن معاثر فاعليّ الإثم. تسقط الخطأة في مصائدهم، وأكون أنا على إنفراد إلى أن أعبر
Is it necessary to learn the diacritic marks? I've seen conflicting opinions.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »
Is it necessary to learn the diacritic marks? I've seen conflicting opinions.
If you're not native, yes, because:
1. In every Semitic language you have to know the words and grammar construction to read anything OR have (and learn) diacritic marks
2. Sometimes diactris marks appear to not make confusion with other word or show what grammar structure should be read here
3. In Bible and psalter (and occassionaly in other prayers) diacritic marks are always used.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria