OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:24:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teach me prayers in Arabic  (Read 24230 times) Average Rating: 5
collin_nunis

« on: November 13, 2007, 08:23:43 AM »

Hey there... Is there anyone can help me with Arabic? I'm not exactly an Arab but I just love it when prayers are said in Arabic. The least I'd love to have is to at least learn how to pray some common prayers (from the Divine Liturgy, Matins, Vespers etc) in Arabic. Is there anyone?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »

While I cannot help you, I want to make this post as a *BUMP*, in order that your post receive the attention it deserves.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »

This should be easy to find, I have seen several prayer books with the services in English alongside phonetic Arabic, probably Melchite Greek Catholic or Antiochian Orthodox.  Just check their websites out.
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 09:28:11 PM »

This should be easy to find, I have seen several prayer books with the services in English alongside phonetic Arabic, probably Melchite Greek Catholic or Antiochian Orthodox.  Just check their websites out.
I would love to see this online if you have access to it. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.
smile4ever

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

Yours is the Lordship, and the Authority.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 06:42:18 PM »

well, i'm Egyptian actually, but i'm a coptic orthodox ; so i'm not sure i can help you with prayers of any EO liturgy, but other than that i can send you some prayers in Arabic and how they're pronounciated in English letters....but i need to now how much arabic do u know.

"One nature out of two, a holy divinity, co-essential with the Father, an incorruptible.

A Holy humanity, begotten without seed, coessential with us, according to the economy."
collin_nunis

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 08:53:57 AM »

I know words like "walidatalillah", "Yasoo Al-Maseeh", "Rabb", "Abana/Abuna", "Salam", "Irhamna", "Salib", "Saif", "Khallisna". Very Christian Arab words.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 09:08:08 AM »

I would love to see this online if you have access to it. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

I honestly wouldn't put much hope in that.  Arabic is a tricky language to transliterate and transcribe, and with the exception perhaps of some publications that aim at teaching somebody the complicated phonetics of Arabic, most transliterations/transcriptions of Arabic out there in print and online are terribly sloppy.

Doing the same with forms of colloquial Arabic is probably even more frustrating, given the varying forms of 'a' out there, and the existence of vowels (in our area, originating in the Aramaic substratum of the Arabic dialects spoken there) that are not there in Modern Standard Arabic.
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »

I wrote this long ago in one of the forum threads: the Lord's Prayer as said in the Melchite and Antiochian Orthodox churches (each uses its own form).  I made some corrections to the notes as well.

Consider this the definitive version (versions in fact; I'll provide both the Orthodox and the Melchite forms
of the prayer), but first a detailed pronunciation guide from myself:

'Kh' is the Greek Χ, or more accurately, the broader, rougher Scottish 'ch' (Loch Ness)
'Gh' is the French 'r', somewhat similar to the Greek Γ
'Q' is a 'rolled' (my word) version of 'k', that originates from deep down in the throat, a voiceless uvular
plosive that is perhaps the most difficult of Arabic consonants for the foreigner to pronounce.

Short/long vowel pairs:
A/AA [Fat(h)ah/Alif] Greek Α (The short consonant may sometimes sound like the 'u' in 'cub', as in Rab,
meaning Lord.)
U/OO [(D)am'ma/Waaw] Greek ΟΥ (the 'oo' in 'moon')
I/EE [Kasra/Yaa'] Greek Η (the 'ee' in 'seen')

N.B. Some vowels at the end of words, written as long vowels in script, will still be pronounced short.
These are written as short vowels in the transliteration.

Parenthesised letters are 'rolled' (my word), emphatic consonants (they become velarised or pharyngealised
by retraction of the root of the tongue).

The paranthesised (h), however, is a consonant that sounds like an exhaled breath. Pharyngeal, voiceless,
and aspirated.

'Th' is that in 'though', '(th)' (in parenthesis) is its rolled equivalent, and 'th' (underlined), is that of 'thorn',
meaning the Greek letter Θ.

The hyphen indicates the joining of the article 'the' with a word. It has the same effect on pronunciation as
the apostrophe, described later onward.

`, as opposed to a regular apostrophe ', is the consonant `ayn (or `ein, as some prefer to write it). I still do not know how to describe it adequately, except that it is, I believe, a voiced pharyngeal fricative.

The apostrophe indicates a normal glottal start/stop, except when it exists between two identical
consonants, in which case it indicates that the word should be pronounced as two different words (with no
significant pause in between and with the last letter of the first 'word' held until the next letter is
pronounced). So rad'did is pronounced rad did (without pause or letting go of the first 'd') and not radid.

Where the two prayers diverge from one another, the bold text is the Orthodox version:

Important note: Levantine Christians (namely Syrians and Lebanese) sometimes tend to retain
idiosyncrasies of their vernacular dialects when pronouncing the classical Fu(s)(h)ah Arabic, namely
pronouncing the 'th' (that of 'though') as a 'z', and the 'th' of 'thorn' as an 's'. Therefore, you will hear the
people in church say -- from the first line of the prayer -- al-lazi, instead of al-lathi. This is just plain
wrong, and more especially so when the same is applied to what is chanted in Greek ('Agios Asanatos', 'O
Seos Imon': *shudder*), and so I will retain the classical letters 'th' and 'th' in the transliterations. (A tip of
the hat to the Jordanians for doing things properly.)

Also, in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines, the final 'a' of the last word of each is sometimes omitted. I keep these
here.

Abaanal'lathi fis-samawaat,
Liyataqad'das ismuka
Liya'ti malakootuka
Litakun mashee'atuka
Kama fis-samaa'i kathaalika `alal-ar(d)
A`(t)ina khubzana kafaafa yawmina / Khubzanal-jawhari a`(t)inal-yawm
Waghfir lana (sometimes omitted: thunoobana wa) kha(t)ayaana / Watruk lana maa `alayna
Kama naghfiru na(h)nu liman (sometimes omitted: akh(t)a'a wa) asaa'a ilayna / kama natruku na(h)nu
liman lana `alayh

Walaa tudkhilna fit-tajaarib / Walaa tudkhilna fi tajriba
Laakin naj'jina minash-shar'reer
Li'an'na lakal-mulka wal-qudrata wal-majd, ay'yuhal Aabu wal-Ibnu war-Roo(h)ul-Qudus al'aana wa kul'la
awaanin wa ila dahrid-daahireen. Aameen.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:34:36 AM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 09:40:51 AM »

I know words like "walidatalillah", "Yasoo Al-Maseeh", "Rabb", "Abana/Abuna", "Salam", "Irhamna", "Salib", "Saif", "Khallisna". Very Christian Arab words.

Let me polish those for you.  You can use the pronunciation guide from my last post to help you.

Waalidatul/al/il-Ilaah (depends on case), Rab, Abaana (Aboona is how you address the priest, literally translated as 'our father'), salaam, ir(h)amna, (s)aleeb, sayf (sword), khal'li(s)na.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:42:25 AM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »

Ath-(Th)aaloo(th)ul/al/il-Qud'doos (depending on case): The Holy Trinity

Al-Aabu/a/i wal-Ibnu/a/i war-Roo(h)ul/al/il-Qudus (depending on case): The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit

Ar-Rab: The Lord

Qud'doosun: Holy

Laka yaa Rab: To Thee O Lord.

Ilar-Rab'bi na(t)lub: To the Lord we appeal.

Yasoo` ul-Masee(h): Jesus Christ

Maryam: Mary

Linastaqim/Linu(s)ghee (Greek: Orthi/Proskhomen):  Arise! / Let us attend!

Malaak: Angel

Al-(H)ikma (Greek: Sophia): Wisdom.

Al-Qurbaanul/al/il-Muqad'das (depending on case): The Holy Oblation

Al-Injeelul/al/il-Muqad'das (depending on case): The Holy Gospel

As-salaamu lijamee`ikum: Peace to all of you.

Wa liroo(h)ika: And to thy spirit.

Ar-Rab'ba nas'al: The Lord we ask.

Al-majdu lil-Aabi wal-Ibni war-Roo(h)-il-Qudus, al'aana wa kul'la awaanin wa ila dahrid-daahireen: Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and all time, and unto the age of ages.

Ya Rab ur(h)am / Kyrie Eleison: Of course 'have mercy' is itself a verb, so literally, 'Lord, mercy us'.

Istajib ya Rab / Paraskhou Kyrie: Grant, O Lord.

Al-majdu laka yaa Rab'bul-majdu lak: Glory to Thee O Lord, glory to Thee
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 10:02:26 AM by SamB » Logged
collin_nunis

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 07:32:14 AM »

Well, i kinda got the idea of what happens in Arabic since most Arab words are used in Malay. Nevertheless, SamB, thank you for giving me a comprehensive 101 list on basic Christian phrases in Arabic.

For now, while I'm not good on pronouncing, I would like though, if someone would romanise the texts for:-

i) Good Friday Lamentations
ii) The Creed
iii) a portion of the Ektenia
- Lord Almighty, God of our fathers, we pray to You, hear us and have mercy.
- Have mercy on us, O God in your great mercy; we pray to You, hear us and have mercy.
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 07:10:34 AM »

Here's the Creed for now (Byzantine Orthodox version--the Creed varies in wording slightly from one Christian faction to the next).  Keep in mind that with certain words, the last syllable is not always pronounced, and so there can always be some minor differences when hearing more than one recitation.

U'minu bi'Ilaahin waa(h)idin, Aabin (d)aabi(t)il-kul, khaaliqis-samaa'i wal-ar(d), wa kul'li maa yura wa maa laa yura, wa biRab'bin waa(h)idin Yasoo`al-Maseeh, Ibnil-Laahil-wa(h)eed, al-mawloodi minal-Aabi qabla kul'lid-duhoor, noorin min noor, Ilaahin (h)aq min Ilaahin (h)aq, mawloodin ghayri makhlooq, musaawin lil-Aabi fil-jawhar, al'lathi bihi kaana kul'lu shay', al'lathi min ajlina na(h)nul-bashar, wa min ajli khalaa(s)ina, nazala minas-samaa' wa tajas'sada minar-Roo(h)il-Qudus, wa min Maryamil-`a(th)raa'i wa ta'an'nas, wa (s)uliba `an'na `ala `ahdi Bilaa(t)usal-Bun(t)iy, wa ta'al'lama wa qubir, wa qaama fil-yawmith-thaalithi `ala maa fil-kutub, wa (s)a`ida ilas-samaa', wa jalasa `an yameenil-Aab, wa ay(d)an ya'ti bimajdin liyadeenal-a(h)yaa'a wal-amwaat, al'lathi laa fanaa'a limulkihi, wa bir-Roo(h)il-Qudus, ar-Rab'bil-mu(h)yi, al-munbathiq minal-Aab, al'lathi huwa ma`al-Aabi wal-Ibni masjoodun lahu wa mumaj'jad, an-naa(t)iq bil-anbiyaa', wa bikaneesatin waahidatin, jaami`atin, muqad'dasatin, rasooliy'ya, wa'a`tarifu bima`moodiy'yatin waa(h)idatin li-maghfiratil-kha(t)aaya, wa ataraj'ja qiyaamatal-mawta wal-(h)ayaat fid-dahril-aati.  Aameen.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:28:36 PM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 07:26:38 AM »

- Lord Almighty, God of our fathers, we pray to You, hear us and have mercy.
- Have mercy on us, O God in your great mercy; we pray to You, hear us and have mercy.

Ay'yuhar-Rab'bu(d)-(d)aabi(t)ul-kul Ilaahu aabaa'ina, na(t)lubu ilayka fastajib war(h)am.
Ir(h)amna yaa Al'laah ka`a(th)eemi ra(h)matika, na(t)lubu ilayka fastajib war(h)am.

The Lamentations: any in particular?  Give me some lines.
collin_nunis

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 12:26:41 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mM-awNqJBl0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_dVhJR-Ke48

Here are the samples. Do tell me what it means as well. Thanks. Sorry to bother.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »

What is Arabic for "Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes?"

Need it for the refrain of the Evolegataria.  Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 02:58:35 PM »

Scamandrius, here you go:

Mubaarakun anta yaa Rab, `al'limni huqooqak.

Collin, a pleasure and no problem.  These will take me some time to do, so keep checking back every now and then within the next couple of days.  And thanks for the videos also.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 03:01:30 PM by SamB » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 05:04:17 PM »

Sam,

Awesome!  Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
collin_nunis

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 12:57:40 AM »

http://youtube.com/user/amandia008

Check out this page. All liturgical services in Arabic are here.
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 07:33:54 PM »

It looks good.  Thanks again.

Collin, I'm sorry to tell you that I am not able to give you fully what you asked for concerning the Lamentations.  These, what the videos are playing, are the second and third stanzas of the Burial Dirges of the Burial Matins service Friday evening of Holy Week, as you can tell from the melodies.  Text-wise, there are numerous verses, 62 and 48 respectively, that belong to each stanza, and not all these are chanted in the service.  My Arabic and English liturgical books contain only a small portion of them all.  On the matter of transliterations, many of the verses sung are not found in the Arabic books I have, and though my ear can pick up many words from these verses through the video clip, I cannot pick up everything from a verse to give an accurate transliteration, and so Arabic text is required if I am to manage this.  I will post what I do have, however.  As for English translations, the verses are either not found in my English book by the late Archbishop Joseph Raya or in the book are a bit too far off as English translations of the Arabic for them to be worth posting.  Rather than attempt to translate poetic liturgical verses for you myself, I'd rather reference an English text online and make small adjustments if needed.  I would even be able in that case to give you translations for some verses I will not have managed to transliterate for you. 

Does anybody know where I can find the text of the Lamentations service, with as many of the verses written down as one can expect to find?  Googling has not helped me so far.

Here's what I was able to transliterate for you from the second stanza (the first video).  If I find the Lamentations in English online, I can provide you with the corresponding English verses.  I will give you what I have of the third stanza a bit later; I have a hunch I might have more luck with that one.

Nu`a(th)imuka bisti(h)qaaqin yaa mu`(t)iyil-(h)ayaa, ya man basa(t)a yadayhi `ala(s)-(s)aleeb, saa(h)iqan qudrata sul(t)aanil-`aduw

Nu`a(th)imuka bisti(h)qaaqin yaa khaaliqal-`aalam, fabi'aalaamika nilna kul'la shifaa', wa najawna kul'luna minal-fasaad

Ay'yuhal-Masee(h) al-mukhal'li(s)un-nuurul'lathi laa yaghrub, (h)eenama ghibta fee qabrin bijasadik, ar(d)una maadat wa shamsunakhtafat

? (Unable to provide the full verse)

(H)ijaabul-haykal (h)eena (s)albika yaa Kalima tamaz'zaq, wakhtafa noorul-kawaakibi kul'liha, (h)eenama yaa shamsu fil-ar(d)ikhtafayt

….(Nothing full to provide until the Glory be...)

Glory…

Ay'yuhal-Ilaah al-azaliy'yu wal-Kalima, al-musaawi laHu fil-azali war-Roo(h), ay'yuha(s)-(s)aali(h)u qad'disil-jamee`

Now and ever (in Greek)

A Greek verse

Yaa naqiy'yatu yaa (t)ahooru yaa waalidatal-Ilaah, ab`idi `anil-kanaa'isil-inshiqaaq, washmuleeha bihudoo'in wa salaam
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 08:35:37 AM »

I've managed to catch a few more verses by ear.  Since I can no longer edit the last entry, I'll post the lines again.

Nu`a(th)imuka bisti(h)qaaqin yaa mu`(t)iyil-(h)ayaa, ya man basa(t)a yadayhi `ala(s)-(s)aleeb, saa(h)iqan qudrata sul(t)aanil-`aduw

Nu`a(th)imuka bisti(h)qaaqin yaa khaaliqal-`aalam, fabi'aalaamika nilna kul'la shifaa', wa najawna kul'luna minal-fasaad

Ay'yuhal-Masee(h) al-mukhal'li(s)un-nuurul'lathi laa yaghrub, (h)eenama ghibta fee qabrin bijasadik, ar(d)una maadat wa shamsunakhtafat

? (Unable to provide the full verse)

(H)ijaabul-haykal (h)eena (s)albika yaa Kalima tamaz'zaq, wakhtafa noorul-kawaakibi kul'liha, (h)eenama yaa Shamsu fil-ar(d)ikhtafayt
?
?
?
?
?
Ghibta bil-jasad ta(h)tal 'ar(d)i yaa Nooran laa yaghrub wa lam'ma lam tu(t)eeqish'shamsu ru'yatak a(th)lamat wa(h)tajabat ...(last word not clear)

Yaa Mukhal'li(s)i in'nash-shamsa walqamara a(th)lamaa wa ka`abdayni ameenaynilta(h)afaa (h)ulalal-laylid-daji(s)-(s)aafiya

Ay'yuhal-Masee(h), qad ra(d)ayta an ta(s)eera mithlana, fan(h)adarta ya Ra'oofu ilal-Ja(h)eem doona an tatruka a(h)(d)aana Abeek.

?

Glory be…

Ay'yuhal-Ilaah al-azaliy'yu wal-Kalima, al-musaawi laHu fil-azali war-Roo(h), ay'yuha(s)-(s)aali(h)u qad'disil-jamee`

Now and ever (in Greek)

A Greek verse

Yaa naqiy'yatu yaa (t)ahooru yaa waalidatal-Ilaah, ab`idi `anil-kanaa'isil-inshiqaaq, washmuleeha bihudoo'in wa salaam
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 08:37:49 AM »

Here are the lines from the third stanza (second video):

Kaamilul-ajyaali tuqar'ribut-tasbee(h)a lidafnika yaa Masee(h)i
Yoosufur-Raamiy'yu `ani(s)-(s)aleebi a(h)darak wa fee qabrin a(d)ja`ak
(H)aamilaatu(t)-(t)eebi ahdat laka(t)-(t)eeba bishawqin yaa Masee(h)i
Ay'yuhal-khalaa'iq qad'dimul-maraathi takrimatan lil-Khaaliq
?
?
?
(H)aamilaatu(t)-(t)eebi ji'na (s)ub(h)an qabrak yadfiqna fawqahu(t)-(t)eeb (3 times)
A verse in Greek.
(H)aamilaatu(t)-(t)eebi ji'na (s)ub(h)an qabrak yadfiqna fawqahu(t)-(t)eeb
?
Yaa Rabee`il-`athba yaa Bunay'yal-(h)ulwa aynakhtafa jamaaluk?
Um'mukan-naqiy'ya (h)eena mut'ta maalat ilal-bukaa'i wan-naw(h)
?
?
?
?
?
Um'mukal-(h)azeena bil-bukaa'i (s)aa(h)at: qum yaa mu`(t)eeyal-(h)ayaat
Qum saree`an yaa Rab wa (h)ul'la a(h)zaanal'lati bi(t)-(t)uhri waladtka
Hab lanal-ghufraana li'an'nana bikhawfin nukar'rimu aalaamak
(H)aamilaatu(t)-(t)eebi ji'na (s)ub(h)an qabrak yadfiqna fawqahu(t)-(t)eeb
Imna(h) biqiyaamatik lisha`bikal-khalaa(s)a was-silma lil-Kaneesa
Glory be (in Greek)…
A verse in Greek.
Now and ever…
Khaw'wili `abeedaki ay'yatuhal-batoolu mar'a qiyaamatIbnik
Kaamilul-ajyaali tuqar'ribut-tasbee(h)a lidafnika yaa Masee(h)i
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 08:40:02 AM »

Finally, to anybody reading this thread, do you know where I can find English verses of the Lamentations online?
collin_nunis

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 11:39:17 AM »

Hahaha, good question. Someone mentioned the Melkite website may have that. But I haven't seen anything just yet.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »

Btw, can you read Arabic script?

I'll look to see about on line resources, but right now I have only my services books (in Arabic).  Since our local St. George's prints out most of the services in Arabic and English for the congregation, I might be able to get something I can post.  The Arabic, though, will be Arabic script.

I'm curious, how is "sayf" a Christian word?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 07:22:20 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 07:47:02 PM »

I'll look to see about on line resources, but right now I have only my services books (in Arabic).  Since our local St. George's prints out most of the services in Arabic and English for the congregation, I might be able to get something I can post.  The Arabic, though, will be Arabic script.
Isa,

Is the Arabic script hard to learn? I've been wanting to learn it for a while.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 08:08:34 PM »

Isa,

Well, as I tell my students. Hard, but doable.

One thing you have to get used to is that we don't write vowels. Bt y mght fnd ths nt s hrd s y mght thnk.

Another thing, most letters have 4 shaps (isolated, initial, medial, final).

There is a a excellent book with DVDs, "Alif Baa" by Kristen Brustad et alia, ($40) from the university of Georgetown press.  There's also a helpful little booklet "Pocket Guide to Arabic Script" by Fayeq Oweis, at Hippocrene Press which is EXCELLENT, and only $7.

No, I don't get a kick back from my cousin for plugging them, so I'm hopping I'm not breaking any forum rules.

Btw, you can take a look at the standard (protestant) Arabic translation on biblos.com  The instructions are all in English.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »

One Patriarch's name is Nasrallah.  I'm sure some Christian must have the name Sayfud-Deen also.

But you're right.  I was wondering.  That's the closest approximation to saif I could think of, at any rate.

Incidentally, I spotted a mistake above in one of my posts.  I'll just fix that below:

Ath-Thaaloothul/al/il-Qud'doos (depending on case): The Holy Trinity
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 10:04:27 PM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »

Isa, since Collin asked for a transcription, I think he might not be able to read the script, and certainly not without diacritics in any case, if he doesn't know the language.

However, here's a suggestion: 

I've already transcribed a good chunk of those Lamentation prayers.  The verses I couldn't account for in my book and could not catch in full by ear are marked by question marks in the last few posts.  How about you listen to those videos yourself, and while doing so and following my transcription verse-by-verse in the proper order I've listed, stop at points in the recording where the unidentified verses play, listen to them and pick up what you can by ear and then consult your book?  If you find that a verse in your book corresponds to what you are hearing and can identify it, simply send it to me in Arabic script in a message and I will transcribe.

As for the English, if you find anything in your books that is a fairly accurate translation of the Arabic prayers, by all means post it.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 10:45:39 PM »

Btw, you can take a look at the standard (protestant) Arabic translation on biblos.com  The instructions are all in English.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see the instructions on that site. Can you be more specific?
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 12:55:58 AM »

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see the instructions on that site. Can you be more specific?

I meant if you go in the upper left, you can call up a chapter/verse.  If you press on Arabic on the left (with the green, white and red crescent flag of Algeria), you'll get the Arabic translation.  Or you can go on the multilingual version, go to the upper left, get the individual verse, and it will have the Arabic (and others).

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 01:07:55 AM »

Isa, since Collin asked for a transcription, I think he might not be able to read the script, and certainly not without diacritics in any case, if he doesn't know the language.

However, here's a suggestion: 

I've already transcribed a good chunk of those Lamentation prayers.  The verses I couldn't account for in my book and could not catch in full by ear are marked by question marks in the last few posts.  How about you listen to those videos yourself, and while doing so and following my transcription verse-by-verse in the proper order I've listed, stop at points in the recording where the unidentified verses play, listen to them and pick up what you can by ear and then consult your book?  If you find that a verse in your book corresponds to what you are hearing and can identify it, simply send it to me in Arabic script in a message and I will transcribe.

As for the English, if you find anything in your books that is a fairly accurate translation of the Arabic prayers, by all means post it.

I'll see what I can do. the question is when.  school starts up again tommorrow.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 01:12:13 AM »

Isa,

In addition to the materials that Isa gave you, I found The Arab Alphabet-How To Read & Write It by Nicholas Awde and Putros Samano very excellent.  Back when I was trying to learn Arabic, I found this book very, very helpfull.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 01:41:45 AM »

I meant if you go in the upper left, you can call up a chapter/verse.  If you press on Arabic on the left (with the green, white and red crescent flag of Algeria), you'll get the Arabic translation.  Or you can go on the multilingual version, go to the upper left, get the individual verse, and it will have the Arabic (and others).
Ah—for some reason I thought you meant instructions on how to read the Arabic script, probably because we were talking about it. Here I was thinking "What a good find!" laugh
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 01:42:16 AM by wynd » Logged
marmina

Faith: coptic orthodox

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 02:20:02 PM »

Dear brothers
if you are interested in listening to prayers in arabic you can watch  CTV hotbird this is the channel of coptic church actually speaking in arabic also some programs are translayed to english
another channel is aghapy tv telestar 12 both channels are coptic orthodox church channels they broadcast prayers liturgies hymns pope discours and many other but i find that ctv is more interesting they contain also coptic hymns specially this months the hymns of kiahk which are in both lunguages arabic and coptic and some hymns are in old greek if you hear something and want to be translated write and i ll try to translate
in jesus montasser
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2007, 12:39:11 AM »

img http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_219 img 

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 12:42:23 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 11:47:52 PM »

Could someone give me the Arabic transliterations for:

"In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."
&
"Through the prayers of our holy fathers, O Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us (and save us)."

Thanks.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 12:11:14 AM »

I think it is: Bismil Abi wal Ibni war Ruhil Al-Quddus. But I'm not sure.

"Through the prayers of our holy fathers, O Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us (and save us)."

No idea about this one.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 05:28:10 AM »

&

Thanks.

The first has already been answered.

The second: bi-Salawaati aabaa'ina-l-qiddiissiina yaa ayyuha-r-rabbu yasuu9u-l-masiiHu ilaahunaa, irHamnaa (wa-xalliSnaa).

btw, for the first, often "al-ilaahi-l-waaHid.  aamiin" the One God Amen is added after "Holy Spirit."

kalamation

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 10:48:02 PM »

&

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HajoIP_J3o

God Bless

Azar
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 02:35:08 AM »

Can someone post the Trisagion Prayers in Arabic (transliterated into Roman script)? Thanks.

SamB
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 03:04:50 AM »

Can someone post the Trisagion Prayers in Arabic (transliterated into Roman script)? Thanks.

Qud'dousunul'laah, qud'dousunulqawi, qud'dousunul'lathi laa yamout, irHamna

Doxology: Almajdu lil'aabi wal'ibni war'rouHilqudus, al'aana wa kul'la awaanin wa ila dahrid'daahireen, aameen.

Thynamis/Power = Quw'watun

Syrians and Lebanese will at times exercise their vernacular reflex and pronounce 'th' as 'z', but that is not correct.  Keep the classical 'th'.

Capital H is a pharyngeal that sounds like an exhaled breath and 'q' is the uvular version of 'k', also a stop.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:10:51 AM by SamB » Logged
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 03:44:02 AM »

How do you say:

Glory to Thee, O God, Glory to Thee.

O Heavenly King....

All-Holy Trinity, have mercy on us...

O Come let us worship and fall down before God our King...

samkim
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 03:40:04 PM »

bump

SamB
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »

' is a glottal stop or geminate marker (but ` is the pharyngeal consonant mentioned already before). D, S, and T (capital letters) are pharngealised versions of regular 'd', 's', and 't' respectively.  Θ is the 'th' in 'thorn'. Gh is the equivalent of the German or French 'r', and 'kh' is the velar 'ch' in 'Loch Ness'

Al'majdu laka yaa Al'laahulmajdu lak

That's a literal translation of what you requested but the proper form at the end there is yaa ilaahana wa rajaa'ana or O our God and our Hope.

Ay'yuhalmalikus'samaawil'mu`az'zi, rouHulHaq'qilHaaDiru fi kul'li makaakin walmaali'ulkul kanzuS'S'aaliHaati wa raaziqulHayaat, halum'ma waskun feena wa Tah'hirna min kul'li danas(in) wa khal'liS ay'yuhaS'SaaliHu nufousana.

Ay'yuhaΘ'Θaalouthulqud'dous irHamna, yaa rab ighfir khaTaayaana, yaa say'yid tajaawaz `an say'yi'aatina, yaa qud'dous iT'Tali` washfi amraaDana.  Min ajlismika yaa Rab'burHam, yaa Rab'burHam, yaa Rab'burHam.  Then the Doxology, already provided before.

Halum'mu nasjudu wanarka` limalikina wa ilaahina
Halum'mu nasjudu wanarka` lil'maseeH malikina wa ilaahina
Halum'mu nasjudu wanarka` lil'maseeH, haatha huwa malikuna wa ilaahuna
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:05:05 PM by SamB » Logged
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »

How do you say "O God, be merciful to me a sinner."

What is "Min ajlismika?"

Also, why is "danas(in)" have "in" in parenthesis?

Also, I thought in the introductory trisagion prayers, we say "Glory to Thee, O God, Glory to thee" before the "O heavenly King" without "our God and our hope" (which is said after psalms).

BTW, I really appreciate your help, Sam (heh.. we have the same first name).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:51:25 PM by samkim » Logged

Tags: prayer 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: