OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 07:55:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sign of the Cross  (Read 6606 times) Average Rating: 0
marlo

« on: November 13, 2007, 05:59:20 AM »

I'm reading a study about the Old believers in Russia, and found this icon of christ, a 6th century icon depicting the Lord with the sign of the cross 2 fingers straight, according to this study. it was originally 2 fingers, any comments on this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:12:45 AM »

This hand position in Icons of Christ was used after the Oecumenical Council of Chalcedon. Christ extending two fingers symbolizes His Two Natures. You will also see this in Hodegetria Icons, for example:
http://www.msu.edu/~rabbatjo/hodegetria3.jpg
http://ikona.art.pl/grafika/galeria/hodegetria.jpg
http://www.tbumm.org/images/TikhvinHodegetria.jpg

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:46:28 AM »

marlo, peace be with you.

Believe you will find this shows Christ giving a blessing not making the Sign of the Cross.

Many icons show Christ with His hand held thusly. We Oriental Orthodox also have them and of course do not consider it to represent two natures Wink

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 11:22:14 AM »

All this information is accurate. However, the Old Belivers make the sign of the Cross a bit differently. They hold the thumb, pinky and third finger together. The index finger is straight (representing Christ's humanity) and the middle finger is slighlty bent (indicating His divinity). Also the bending of the middle finger is symbolic of Christ bowing the heavens to come down to earth for our salvation.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:25:37 PM »

All this information is accurate. However, the Old Belivers make the sign of the Cross a bit differently. They hold the thumb, pinky and third finger together. The index finger is straight (representing Christ's humanity) and the middle finger is slighlty bent (indicating His divinity). Also the bending of the middle finger is symbolic of Christ bowing the heavens to come down to earth for our salvation.

Salve Mickey,

But isn't the what a Priest does not the Laity or do I have my understanding confused?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 01:47:56 AM »

Salve Mickey,

But isn't the what a Priest does not the Laity or do I have my understanding confused?
I believe that if you read fatman2021's thread on the Old Believer sign of the Cross, you might find the answer to this question.  The thread is now closed to new posts for reasons you'll find obvious if you go there, but you can still read it.

How to Make the Sign of the Cross
marlo

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 02:15:11 AM »

Hi didymus

in the Russian Old Believers, blessing and sign of the cross is done using the same method. This signify that the Old believers probably have preserved the original sign of the Cross, as evident by the image shown.  Also by a famous study of a Russian Theologian.  This is a significant evidence in contrast to the Eastern Orthodox claim that they did not changed their tradition.

marlo, peace be with you.

Believe you will find this shows Christ giving a blessing not making the Sign of the Cross.

Many icons show Christ with His hand held thusly. We Oriental Orthodox also have them and of course do not consider it to represent two natures Wink

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 02:20:57 AM »

This signify that the Old believers probably have preserved the original sign of the Cross, as evident by the image shown. 
Not necessarily.
It could be that the Old Believers actually changed the sign themselves.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
marlo

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 02:54:39 AM »

the fact that even the Old Roman Catholic documents also states that the sign of the Cross was done with 2 fingers, and Admitted by Timothy Ware saying, “The Greek form with three fingers was more recent than the Russian form with two: why should the Russians, who remained loyal to the ancient ways, be forced to accept a “modern” Greek innovation?” from his famous book The Orthodox Church.

Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 03:25:08 AM »

the fact that even the Old Roman Catholic documents also states that the sign of the Cross was done with 2 fingers, and Admitted by Timothy Ware saying, “The Greek form with three fingers was more recent than the Russian form with two: why should the Russians, who remained loyal to the ancient ways, be forced to accept a “modern” Greek innovation?” from his famous book The Orthodox Church.

Well, then that settles it! Two fingers it is!! Grin
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:25:26 AM by Alexius » Logged

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
marlo

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 03:44:56 AM »

also settles that the claim of the Eastern Orthodox of preservation of Tradition is not True as what they claim.

Well, then that settles it! Two fingers it is!! Grin
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 03:57:51 AM »

also settles that the claim of the Eastern Orthodox of preservation of Tradition is not True as what they claim.

What I was told is that the Russians changed the Sign of the Cross due to their seclusion from the rest of the Orthodox Church. It makes sense that it could go either way, I guess.

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 09:11:23 AM »

Whoa, there friend. Not cool to slide in "Tradition" where you originally ( and improperly) used "tradition". The Big T/little t aspect does apply as well as your implication that we assert traditional Orthopraxis with Faith. Not the same.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:24:20 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 09:21:05 AM »

Oh my! Now you are reaching. The Old Believers and the Holy Orthodox Church use the same symbolism when making the sign of the cross. Two fingers represent the divinity and humanity of Christ---and two finger united with the thumb represent the Trinity. But because the finger groupings are different, you proclaim that Orthodoxy has veered from Tradition! Surely you have better topics to discuss.  Roll Eyes
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 09:32:11 AM »

How so?  One way does the cross with 2 up and 3 down, 2 for the natures and 3 for the Trinity.  Other way does the cross with 3 up and 2 down, 2 for the natures and 3 for the Trinity.  Yes, the external form is slightly different, but the essence of the teaching is the same.  If you wanted to make the "claim of preservation of tradition is not true as what they claim," there are better examples to be found in the Divine Liturgy.  If you want to bring that up, go to the Liturgy section and start a thread about it.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »

So is there still an anathema on the Old Believers who use this formulation?

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 02:25:34 PM »

Anathema? From whom?

Council?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 01:21:36 AM »

I believe the Russian Orthodox Church lifted her anathema against the Old Believers many years ago.
marlo

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 01:47:00 AM »

yes, the finger group association did change, showing that the Eastern Orthodox changes after all.

Oh my! Now you are reaching. The Old Believers and the Holy Orthodox Church use the same symbolism when making the sign of the cross. Two fingers represent the divinity and humanity of Christ---and two finger united with the thumb represent the Trinity. But because the finger groupings are different, you proclaim that Orthodoxy has veered from Tradition! Surely you have better topics to discuss.  Roll Eyes

marlo

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 01:48:29 AM »

they need to do it, it shows that the Russian Orthodox church did make a mistake on insisting the Change not only on the sign of the cross but the liturgy itself.
I believe the Russian Orthodox Church lifted her anathema against the Old Believers many years ago.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 02:13:11 AM »

they need to do it, it shows that the Russian Orthodox church did make a mistake on insisting the Change not only on the sign of the cross but the liturgy itself.
Lifting the anathema means nothing of the sort.  If anything, the Russian Church admitted by this move that her complicity in the persecution of the Old Ritualists was totally unwarranted.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 02:14:26 AM »

yes, the finger group association did change, showing that the Eastern Orthodox changes after all.
Whoever said that the Orthodox practice of the faith doesn't change?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 04:57:55 AM »

Whoever said that the Orthodox practice of the faith doesn't change?

Why, the Old Believers!

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 09:16:25 AM »

Bravo, marlo! You have proved that the Orthodox Church can change in some areas of praxis. But you have not proved that they promulgate outright innovations of doctrine and dogma. Hence, I am happy to be home.  laugh
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 05:07:40 PM »

I have to assume you are using a bit of humour here because I know you are smarter than that to use this limp example of the Old Believers as an example of changing doctrine.  This is simply a change in praxis and little "t" tradition.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 04:49:12 PM »

So is there still an anathema on the Old Believers who use this formulation?

There are Old Believer parishes within ROCOR.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »

Old Believers are Orthodox in their faith. Many Orthodox use their prayer book. Their service and some prayers are a bit longer in certain cases and they do the sign of the cross a bit differently. That is not to make light of the fact that this was a big deal to them and that they suffered for their position. But we all believe the same faith and in fact they are starting to come back into communion with us.

That is a horse of a different color than what we find in Western Christianity where often the core theology and liturgy and Daily practices can vary greatly.   

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 05:53:04 PM »

There are Old Believer parishes within ROCOR.

I know that, but very few...I know of one in the US and it's about 9 hours from me! Needless to say I don't go there every Sunday Grin

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 07:56:20 PM »

I know that, but very few...I know of one in the US and it's about 9 hours from me! Needless to say I don't go there every Sunday Grin

Huh
I need some explanation on this subject old believers ...If orthodoxy came to russia/ukrain via constantanople how does the old belivers way become a  older tradition than from the Mother Church [constantinople]..how does the mother become younger and the daughter becomes older in her traditions ..inquiring  mind wants to know.... Huh Huh
stashko
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:43:33 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 01:59:22 AM »

Huh
I need some explanation one this subject old believers ...If orthodoxy came to russia/ukrain via constantanople how does the old belivers way become a  older tradition than from the Mother Church [constantinople]..how does the mother become younger and the daughter becomes older in her traditions ..inquiring  mind wants to know.... Huh Huh
stashko

From what I have read, Russia was secluded for years at a time by different foreign invaders. Because of this seclusion, many traditions changed. I don't know what else to say. Many feel the Greeks changed...Patriarch Nikon changed, or rather reformed, many traditions of Russian Orthodoxy to conform to the rest of the Orthodox world. This included liturgical books and the Sign of the Cross. There are many good books on the subject if you're interested...Patriarch Nikon was literally despised and if my memory serves me right, he died in exile in a Siberian monastery...

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 02:55:49 AM »

From what I have read, Russia was secluded for years at a time by different foreign invaders. Because of this seclusion, many traditions changed. I don't know what else to say. Many feel the Greeks changed...Patriarch Nikon changed, or rather reformed, many traditions of Russian Orthodoxy to conform to the rest of the Orthodox world. This included liturgical books and the Sign of the Cross. There are many good books on the subject if you're interested...Patriarch Nikon was literally despised and if my memory serves me right, he died in exile in a Siberian monastery...

Peace..How did the original orthodox tradition from constantinoble get distorted by the russian/ukrainian old believers ,,i would of assumed they recieved the correct form from constantinoble ,,why would they of needed reform later on...this is  really confusing to me ....as a serb we have 1200 years of orthodoxy as the greeks gave it to us ,,i never heard of serbian old believers ,,,have you,.. i believe  all the slavic peoples have christianity for 1200 to 1300 yrs now including poland .....stashko
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:57:27 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Jonah

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Sothern United States

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 11:42:21 AM »

I am not sure I understand the significance of the finger grouping. This symbolism is surely very important as it has deep theological meaning, however why would it be so important which fingers are used as a symbol to that theology.

It doesn't seem like something that will warrant people separating themselves from the church. Is there any thing else that they object to that is more significant.

Same thing with Old Calendarists, is it merely when to celebrate Easter and other calendar issues or do they have other objections.

When it comes to Orthodoxy, there are things that are worth fighting for and dying for. I just don't understand why how to draw the sign of the Cross would be one of these things.

I would appreciate a response to help me understand.
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »

I am not sure I understand the significance of the finger grouping. This symbolism is surely very important as it has deep theological meaning, however why would it be so important which fingers are used as a symbol to that theology.

It doesn't seem like something that will warrant people separating themselves from the church. Is there any thing else that they object to that is more significant.

Same thing with Old Calendarists, is it merely when to celebrate Easter and other calendar issues or do they have other objections.

When it comes to Orthodoxy, there are things that are worth fighting for and dying for. I just don't understand why how to draw the sign of the Cross would be one of these things.

I would appreciate a response to help me understand.

Welcome to the forums!

Perhaps because of some peoples' hyper-traditionalism? I'm all for the Old Calendar, but the whole Sign of the Cross tradition varies throughout the history of the Church to begin with...that there was change may be unfortunate, but that there are many varying traditions amongst the Orientals and Latins is also a testimony to the diversity of practices from antiquity (some exceptions)...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:52:57 AM by Alexius » Logged

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Tags: sign of the Cross Old Believers icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: