OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 05:24:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Jesus ever smile?  (Read 6423 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: November 12, 2007, 10:30:38 PM »

A Greek teacher I used to have said one day that early accounts about Jesus said that he didn't not smile and constantly had a graven image with tears (or the remnants of tears). Obviously this isn't a huge issue but I just was wondering if this could be "confirmed".

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 10:36:01 PM »

Hello,

The only times I can imagine Jesus not smiling is when He was rebuking and during His Passion.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 10:55:40 PM »

My first thought is how could Christ, the lover of humankind, not smile ?

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:01:12 PM »

The reasoning was something like him knowing the pain that everyone was going through and having to bear the sins of mankind was almost unbearable.

Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 11:45:30 PM »

The Dogma of the Immaculate Smile Cheesy

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 11:56:09 PM »

Alexius, nice avatar, I shared the same with a old amigo here...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:11:45 AM »

Iirc, something along this line shows up in The Name of the Rose... have to go hunting on the shelves...I *think* we have a copy.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:38:08 AM »

The argument I've heard against any idea that Jesus ever laughed (or smiled?) says something to this effect:  The mission Christ came to fulfill was one of [our] life and death, a mission to save that required the utmost seriousness and sobriety, and that laughter (and smiling?) runs completely counter to this sobriety.  Personally, I'm aware that there is nothing in the Gospels to indicate that Jesus ever laughed or smiled or otherwise "had a good time", but neither am I aware of anything in the Gospels that says definitively that He never did.
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:33:39 AM »

Alexius, nice avatar, I shared the same with a old amigo here...

james

Yes, it is one of my favorite icons (esp. since I'm Polish)...

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 01:38:40 AM »

The argument I've heard against any idea that Jesus ever laughed (or smiled?) says something to this effect:  The mission Christ came to fulfill was one of [our] life and death, a mission to save that required the utmost seriousness and sobriety, and that laughter (and smiling?) runs completely counter to this sobriety.  Personally, I'm aware that there is nothing in the Gospels to indicate that Jesus ever laughed or smiled or otherwise "had a good time", but neither am I aware of anything in the Gospels that says definitively that He never did.

I've never actually given this much thought...what about as a baby? Like when babies smile? Does that happen? Smiley Maybe not. I guess the argument makes sense...Icons certainly show no emotion in Christ, so they are also a testimony to his mission.

Btw, should the "he" (in reference to Jesus) be capitalized? I used to do it, but not alot of people do...

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 01:53:33 AM »

Btw, should the "he" (in reference to Jesus) be capitalized? I used to do it, but not alot of people do...
I'm aware that even the [Old] Revised Standard Version of the Bible does not capitalize the pronoun "he" when they use this to refer to Christ.  But in all the settings of hymnography I've seen, "He" is capitalized when it refers to any of the Persons of the Trinity, as is any other pronoun used in this specific manner.  I personally prefer the convention I see in these translations with which I work so frequently.  To me, it's a matter of reverence to refer to Christ as "He" or "Him".
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:54:17 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 02:19:47 AM »

I'm aware that even the [Old] Revised Standard Version of the Bible does not capitalize the pronoun "he" when they use this to refer to Christ.  But in all the settings of hymnography I've seen, "He" is capitalized when it refers to any of the Persons of the Trinity, as is any other pronoun used in this specific manner.  I personally prefer the convention I see in these translations with which I work so frequently.  To me, it's a matter of reverence to refer to Christ as "He" or "Him".

OK, then "He" it is...Thanks Smiley

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
mmaccs

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 04:03:05 AM »

Jesus was not afraid to poke a little fun at others with His irony. It wasn't only the hypocritical Pharisees He teased. When He comforted those of us who get too anxious, He told us in Matthew 6 how much God cares for us. So we should not worry about tomorrow. Then He couldn't resist adding a little pointed irony in verse 34, "Each day has enough trouble of its own." And calling Peter a "Rock" was probably irony. Over and over Peter proved he was anything but a rock when it came down to the clutch

He teases Nathaniel on their first meeting in John 1:47, saying "Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false," as if all other Israelites were liars

Mark 7 gives us another example of how Jesus ironically teases others. It has always been difficult to understand how our Lord could be as cruel as He is verse 27 when the woman asks Him to deliver her daughter from a demon. He's only been healing Jews to this point, and He tells her "it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to the dogs"

The only explanation for Jesus' words is that they were said with a smile! What we cannot see is the playful expression which must have accompanied what sound like hard words. The woman got the Lord's joke. That's crystal clear in the fact that she responds with some wit of her own, "Yes Lord, but even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs". Jesus bantered with her and she bantered right back

That kind of banter and all our Lord's teasing is truly genius because it is both humorous and harmless. It's not malicious humour, Jesus is motivated by love and compassion with it

He kids the Pharisees and Sadducees so hard and pushes them so far for only one reason. He hopes by the lightness of humor to soften their hearts, to let them see themselves as others see them, to help them turn from their own righteousness to His perfect grace. His humor may sometimes be pointed, but only because the ultimate point is love. He wounds in order to redeem, IMO
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 04:14:56 AM »

Jesus was not afraid to poke a little fun at others with His irony. It wasn't only the hypocritical Pharisees He teased. When He comforted those of us who get too anxious, He told us in Matthew 6 how much God cares for us. So we should not worry about tomorrow. Then He couldn't resist adding a little pointed irony in verse 34, "Each day has enough trouble of its own." And calling Peter a "Rock" was probably irony. Over and over Peter proved he was anything but a rock when it came down to the clutch

He teases Nathaniel on their first meeting in John 1:47, saying "Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false," as if all other Israelites were liars

Mark 7 gives us another example of how Jesus ironically teases others. It has always been difficult to understand how our Lord could be as cruel as He is verse 27 when the woman asks Him to deliver her daughter from a demon. He's only been healing Jews to this point, and He tells her "it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to the dogs"

The only explanation for Jesus' words is that they were said with a smile!
Please be careful with such exclusive statements as "the only explanation is..."  You never know that someone may see this differently, or that you could just be wrong (no intent to say that you are).

What we cannot see is the playful expression which must have accompanied what sound like hard words. The woman got the Lord's joke. That's crystal clear in the fact that she responds with some wit of her own, "Yes Lord, but even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs". Jesus bantered with her and she bantered right back

That kind of banter and all our Lord's teasing is truly genius because it is both humorous and harmless. It's not malicious humour, Jesus is motivated by love and compassion with it

He kids the Pharisees and Sadducees so hard and pushes them so far for only one reason. He hopes by the lightness of humor to soften their hearts, to let them see themselves as others see them, to help them turn from their own righteousness to His perfect grace. His humor may sometimes be pointed, but only because the ultimate point is love. He wounds in order to redeem, IMO
Overall, I think you may be guilty of projecting your own limited experiences and what you would like Jesus to be onto our Lord.  There's nothing in the Gospels you quoted that even implies the correctness of your interpretation, although there's nothing that says explicitly that your interpretation is wrong.  I don't know that anyone can offer any more than mere conjecture, so your guess is as good as mine.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:15:35 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 09:35:21 AM »

Hello,

Personally, I'm aware that there is nothing in the Gospels to indicate that Jesus ever laughed or smiled or otherwise "had a good time", but neither am I aware of anything in the Gospels that says definitively that He never did.
Wasn't Jesus' first public miracle making more wine for a wedding party? I can't imagine the Lord not having fun at His friend's wedding.

I can't imagine Jesus not smiling at the little children He called to Himself - "let the children come to me".

I can't imagine Jesus never smiling toward His mother and foster-father.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 09:41:46 AM »

Hello,

I always capitalize non-first-person pronouns for God. It was pretty common, though still not universal, back a couple hundred years ago. It has almost universally fallen out of current usage (regrettably, I think). Besides showing respect, it also helps to inform the reader or pray-er of exactly Who is being addressed, especially if there are multiple groups each using their own pronouns.

The one that gets me is capitalizing the first-person pronouns for God. I know that some capitalize them; but for me, I always think that God being humble, wouldn't capitalize pronouns when referring to Himself.

Both are more a pious act than a usage of proper grammar. I also have not noticed this in any other language but English - though the Romance Languages usually capitalize the third-person formal pronouns, God or not.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 12:26:29 PM »

Hello,
I always capitalize non-first-person pronouns for God. It was pretty common, though still not universal, back a couple hundred years ago. It has almost universally fallen out of current usage (regrettably, I think). Besides showing respect, it also helps to inform the reader or pray-er of exactly Who is being addressed, especially if there are multiple groups each using their own pronouns.

The one that gets me is capitalizing the first-person pronouns for God. I know that some capitalize them; but for me, I always think that God being humble, wouldn't capitalize pronouns when referring to Himself.

Both are more a pious act than a usage of proper grammar. I also have not noticed this in any other language but English - though the Romance Languages usually capitalize the third-person formal pronouns, God or not.

Thanks! Smiley

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 01:01:15 PM »

OK, then "He" it is...Thanks Smiley

I cant imagine Christ NOT smiling when He calls the little children unto Him.

How can anyone not smile at this?

Try not smiling when the little ones give you that great big grin, go ahead try.

JoeS
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:02:29 PM by JoeS » Logged
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 08:06:54 PM »

Seeing that Jesus was both fully God and fully Man.......  mankind smiles!  Perhaps suggesting anything that might make Jesus seem as if he didn't experience the full range of human emotions could underscore the fact that he was fully man and fully God.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 01:11:35 AM »

How can anyone not smile at this?

Try not smiling when the little ones give you that great big grin, go ahead try.

JoeS
I, too, cannot imagine Christ not at least smiling when He sees the little children clamoring to be with Him, but I have to recognize that this is my own projection of my own understanding of human nature onto Jesus.  Such projections as this are hardly admissible as concrete evidence of a historical assertion, though, which is what I hope to make clear.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:26:53 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 03:07:23 AM »

I, too, cannot imagine Christ not at least smiling when He sees the little children clamoring to be with Him, but I have to recognize that this is my own projection of my own understanding of human nature onto Jesus.  Such projections as this are hardly admissible as concrete evidence of a historical assertion, though, which is what I hope to make clear.

How about while He was an infant? I'm sure Christ smiled just as many infants do...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:07:54 AM by Alexius » Logged

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 03:10:39 AM »

How about while He was an infant? I'm sure Christ smiled just as many infants do...
I'm sure we can speculate all day about such things as this. Wink  My personal hypothesis is that He probably did.
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 03:27:49 AM »

I'm sure we can speculate all day about such things as this. Wink  My personal hypothesis is that He probably did.

Well, I think...yeah, you're right laugh
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:29:11 AM by Alexius » Logged

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 09:37:25 AM »

I can't imagine Jesus not smiling at the little children He called to Himself - "let the children come to me".

I can't imagine Jesus never smiling toward His mother and foster-father.

Makes sense.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 10:42:48 AM »

I can't imagine we're having this conversation.  We could speculate on all kinds of human emotions and bodily functions by our Lord and Saviour (and I know I've wondered too), but I think it takes us away from the real power and dignity of the Incarnation.  Did Jesus _____?  Yes he did and let's move on.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 11:57:06 AM »

I can't imagine we're having this conversation.  We could speculate on all kinds of human emotions and bodily functions by our Lord and Saviour (and I know I've wondered too), but I think it takes us away from the real power and dignity of the Incarnation.  Did Jesus _____?  Yes he did and let's move on. 

Ha ha ha.  Nice.
Look, we're not wasting too much time on this. Now, if it became a 10-page debate, then I'd see a place for this sentiment.  But someone asked a question, and we're trying honestly to answer it as best we can.  As long as it doesn't degenerate into "did Jesus go to the bathroom," or other such questions, we're okay.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 01:06:23 PM »

Ha ha ha.  Nice.
Look, we're not wasting too much time on this. Now, if it became a 10-page debate, then I'd see a place for this sentiment.  But someone asked a question, and we're trying honestly to answer it as best we can.  As long as it doesn't degenerate into "did Jesus go to the bathroom," or other such questions, we're okay.

Chastened and humbled -  Embarrassed

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 01:11:54 PM »

Chastened and humbled -  Embarrassed

It's okay - you shouldn't feel bad.  If we didn't have voices of reason like you on OC.net, we'd already have 50 threads devoted to questions like "did Jesus wash Himself."  I'm being serious.

---------------------
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 04:46:33 PM »

^ LOL!

This reminds me of a story the pastor in my old Baptist church used to tell about a woman who was mortally offended when someone mentioned that Jesus was fully human, so he probably had zits as a teenager.  Her reaction was, "My Lord did NOT have acne!"  Hmm... well...

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Hopeful Faithful
How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?

Faith: In transition to the Russian old Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Strong Russian Old Pomorsky (Stranniki)

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »

^ LOL!

This reminds me of a story the pastor in my old Baptist church used to tell about a woman who was mortally offended when someone mentioned that Jesus was fully human, so he probably had zits as a teenager.

Greetings Forum,

It truly is the Great Apostasy. As the Lord did not pollute His body with toxic chemicals or other poisonous and spiritually defiling things, which we in modern society do, He had nothing like zits. Washing with shampoo and such is likewise something forbidden to anyone sensitive to God. With all the fasting He did there was little need for any kind of bathroom, whatever you think of it. With all the LOL-ing here it is difficult to get a word in edgewise with this forum, but consider these...

St. Basil the Great said that the Lord Jesus Christ never laughed. In the eulogy for his sister Macrina, St. Basil said that one of her greatest virtues was that she rarely ever smiled. St. Basil says more, “The Christian ought not to...indulge in jesting. He ought not to laugh nor even to suffer laugh makers.”

St. Chrysostom said that the Lord nowhere laughed or even smiled, saying also that, “This world is not a theater in which we can laugh.” St. Chrysostom mentioned: “When you see persons laughing, reflect that those teeth that grin now will one day have to sustain that most dreadful wailing and gnashing.” Also we have this from St. Chrysostom: “Feet were made, not given for dancing, but to walk modestly, not to leap impudently like camels.”

Many people who had first hand, or very near first hand experience with the Lord, give us these examples. Such tradition should not be mocked. It was the Gnostic Christians who wrongly presented the Savior as having laughed. I can understand how some may feel compelled to laugh at what is absurd, absurdity is laughable. It is still all the better to exercise moderation in all things, even in such situations.

Any bible in the USA has hints of these truths.

Luke 6:25 “Woe unto you that laugh now! For ye shall mourn and weep.”

James 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

“Once, Blessed Sarah saw a young nun laughing, and said to her: Do not laugh, sister, because by this you chase away from yourself the fear of God, and are subjected to the mockery of the devil.” written by 4th century Abba Isaiah to the nun Theodora. From the book Matericon, page 40.

St. Ephraim the Syrian – “Laughter and familiarity are the beginning of a soul’s corruption. If you see these in yourself, know that you have come to the depths of evils. Do not cease to pray God that He will deliver you from this death...Laughter removes from us that blessing which is promised to those who mourn (Matt. 5:4) and destroys what has been built up. Laughter offends the Holy Spirit, gives no benefit to the soul and dishonors the body. Laughter drives out virtues, has no remembrance of death or thought of tortures” from the “Philokalia” Russian edition, Moscow, 1913: vol. 2, p. 448

Sts. Barsanuphius and John, 6th-century (Answer 451): “In the fear of God there is no laughter. The Scripture says of the foolish, that they raise their voice in laughter (Sirach 21:23); and the word of the foolish is always disturbed and deprived of grace.”

Ecclesiastes 2:2 I said of laughter – “Madness!”; and of mirth, “What does it accomplish?”

Ecclesiasticus 21:20 A fool lifteth up his voice with laughter; but a wise man doth scarce smile a little. v26 The heart of fools is in their mouth: but the mouth of the wise is in their heart.

I have more such references on my web page below.

Forgive, John Alden

http://MyMartyrdom.com/aac.htm

HIS Judgment Cometh, And That Right Soon! Mark 13:35

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 07:52:20 PM »

Path of solitude meet Hopeful faithful you two will get on like a house on fire with your insightful interpretations of scripture.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:52:32 PM by prodromas » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 12:54:22 AM »

Path of solitude meet Hopeful faithful you two will get on like a house on fire with your insightful interpretations of scripture.
Actually, prodromas, the Patristic witness that Hopeful Faithful presented--though I wouldn't necessarily call it a consensus Patrum--regarding laughter is much stronger than you may think.  I wouldn't dismiss it so flippantly if I were you.

Hopeful Faithful, one CAN not smile and not laugh without also being a judgmental curmudgeon about it. Wink
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 02:38:38 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 01:20:17 PM »

Greetings Forum,

It truly is the Great Apostasy. As the Lord did not pollute His body with toxic chemicals or other poisonous and spiritually defiling things, which we in modern society do, He had nothing like zits. Washing with shampoo and such is likewise something forbidden to anyone sensitive to God. With all the fasting He did there was little need for any kind of bathroom, whatever you think of it. With all the LOL-ing here it is difficult to get a word in edgewise with this forum, but consider these...

St. Basil the Great said that the Lord Jesus Christ never laughed. In the eulogy for his sister Macrina, St. Basil said that one of her greatest virtues was that she rarely ever smiled. St. Basil says more, “The Christian ought not to...indulge in jesting. He ought not to laugh nor even to suffer laugh makers.”

St. Chrysostom said that the Lord nowhere laughed or even smiled, saying also that, “This world is not a theater in which we can laugh.” St. Chrysostom mentioned: “When you see persons laughing, reflect that those teeth that grin now will one day have to sustain that most dreadful wailing and gnashing.” Also we have this from St. Chrysostom: “Feet were made, not given for dancing, but to walk modestly, not to leap impudently like camels.”

Many people who had first hand, or very near first hand experience with the Lord, give us these examples. Such tradition should not be mocked. It was the Gnostic Christians who wrongly presented the Savior as having laughed. I can understand how some may feel compelled to laugh at what is absurd, absurdity is laughable. It is still all the better to exercise moderation in all things, even in such situations.

Any bible in the USA has hints of these truths.

Luke 6:25 “Woe unto you that laugh now! For ye shall mourn and weep.”

James 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

“Once, Blessed Sarah saw a young nun laughing, and said to her: Do not laugh, sister, because by this you chase away from yourself the fear of God, and are subjected to the mockery of the devil.” written by 4th century Abba Isaiah to the nun Theodora. From the book Matericon, page 40.

St. Ephraim the Syrian – “Laughter and familiarity are the beginning of a soul’s corruption. If you see these in yourself, know that you have come to the depths of evils. Do not cease to pray God that He will deliver you from this death...Laughter removes from us that blessing which is promised to those who mourn (Matt. 5:4) and destroys what has been built up. Laughter offends the Holy Spirit, gives no benefit to the soul and dishonors the body. Laughter drives out virtues, has no remembrance of death or thought of tortures” from the “Philokalia” Russian edition, Moscow, 1913: vol. 2, p. 448

Sts. Barsanuphius and John, 6th-century (Answer 451): “In the fear of God there is no laughter. The Scripture says of the foolish, that they raise their voice in laughter (Sirach 21:23); and the word of the foolish is always disturbed and deprived of grace.”

Ecclesiastes 2:2 I said of laughter – “Madness!”; and of mirth, “What does it accomplish?”

Ecclesiasticus 21:20 A fool lifteth up his voice with laughter; but a wise man doth scarce smile a little. v26 The heart of fools is in their mouth: but the mouth of the wise is in their heart.

I have more such references on my web page below.

Forgive, John Alden

http://MyMartyrdom.com/aac.htm

So, Christ had all the human traits except smiling?  Humans smile they laugh so why would Jesus be the exception? Anyway was anyone with Christ to make sure this did not happen? Hmmmmmmm?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:21:13 PM by JoeS » Logged
Hopeful Faithful
How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?

Faith: In transition to the Russian old Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Strong Russian Old Pomorsky (Stranniki)

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 03:24:14 PM »

The anceint rules for iconography forbid depicting saints smiling, for good reason. We should imitate them. Worldly cults like Walmart use smiley faces. For my part I do not want to follow their example. We all make our choices and judgments. In the days of this Great Apostasy I am not surprised to see such things. Christ specically did not appear at this time in human history, it would not have worked. It is quite clear where those of this world are going, we should all go the other direction. Call that curmudgeon if you want, but worldly practice is truly the evil hearted position.

The thread of questions directed to Hopeful Faithful regarding previous discussions have been given their own thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13399.0.html

- Cleveland, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 10:14:23 AM by cleveland » Logged

HIS Judgment Cometh, And That Right Soon! Mark 13:35

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 08:03:46 PM »

BTW, regarding this thread... Do we actually know anything about the Jewish culture of Jesus's days on Earth? I am just reading Mikhail Bakhtin's great treatise on Rabelais, and it paints such a huge, broad picture of the Western European culture of the times of the late antiquity and early Middle Ages, with all this elaborate culture of carnival, Mardi Gras, "Soties" (sp.?), "Rhisus Paschalis," "Joca monacorum," etc. Bakhtin calculated that in early mediaeval European towns, people lived this carnival life for up to three months per each year. If life in Palestine in the first quarter of the first century A.D. was anything close to that, then our Lord, definitely, not only smiled, but also laughed profusely, shaking and holding His belly... Smiley 

Love never fails.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 08:07:29 PM »

Does everyone know I was being sarcastic?

Sarcasm doesn't seem to go so well here...
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 11:16:51 PM »

BTW, regarding this thread... Do we actually know anything about the Jewish culture of Jesus's days on Earth? I am just reading Mikhail Bakhtin's great treatise on Rabelais, and it paints such a huge, broad picture of the Western European culture of the times of the late antiquity and early Middle Ages, with all this elaborate culture of carnival, Mardi Gras, "Soties" (sp.?), "Rhisus Paschalis," "Joca monacorum," etc. Bakhtin calculated that in early mediaeval European towns, people lived this carnival life for up to three months per each year. If life in Palestine in the first quarter of the first century A.D. was anything close to that, then our Lord, definitely, not only smiled, but also laughed profusely, shaking and holding His belly... Smiley 

Yes, we know a good bit about life in Palestine and other parts of the Mediterranean area, and not just from the Gospels either.  However, drawing from those as well as the OT, there are numerous festivals and personal celebrations such as weddings.  Recall the Wedding at Cana for example, at which Our Lord was a guest.  Now thinking back to my own wedding, no one there was frowning and sitting sullenly.  Just a thought.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 11:30:21 PM »

It is just my opinion I guess but I can't imagine Jesus never smiling.  He is called the 'Lover of man' in the Byzantine liturgy(is it the hymn O Gladsome Light?). 
Lightspeed1000

Faith: Christian

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 01:58:19 AM »

Hi,
below is a passage from a Lives of Saints book about Saint Niphon ,Bishop of Constantiana.,

"In the morning he went to church;raising his eyes,he looked at the icon of the Most Holy Virgin Mary,Mother of God,and with lamentation cried out:"Have mercy on me,Intercessor of Christians,O Pure One Who heard the greeting Rejoice! Help me according to Thy great mercy,for thou art the hope and expectation of those who repent."

At these words of his,the image of the Mother of God smiled,and her face was joyful.
________

I Know the question was about Christ,but i just thought i would write this anyway.

no longer posting
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 09:53:10 PM »

Yes, Jesus Smiled

If Jesus was human smiling is part of the gig.

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2007, 10:01:50 PM »

Well, it's obvious.  He created humor and laughter.  Smiles are right up there with the good things in life.  The scriptures say be joyful, and joyful people smile.   

Tell ya what,  ask Him! Smiley

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: