OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 06:50:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help! where can i find a romanian font?  (Read 790 times) Average Rating: 0
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« on: February 18, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »

hi, dear friends,
i agreed to help a friend out with some romanian writing, and i would like to find a romanian font on the internet (for download), so that i can write with the special accents, like the 'a' with a hat and the t with a squiggle (for 'ts/cz').
sorry, i can't remember what the proper names are for the accents (neither in english or romanian)!

i think i had it somewhere on the computer i used to have >10 years ago, but i don't have one on my new computer, and had not realised until after i started writing.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:20:44 PM »

Try changing keyboard language.
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »

If you are using Windows, go to Control Panel>Region and Language Settings>Keybords and Languages>Install/Uninstall Languages>Change Keyboards>Add and you should pick Romanian. Then, you should be able to switch keyboards from the language bar (the button with EN for English>RO). (This is for Windows 7 - the other versions must have something similar.)

There aren't that many Romanian diacritics - ă Ă, â Â, î Î, ș Ș, ț Ț.

If there's not much to write, you could just insert them with copy/paste where you need them. I don't think there's a special font just for Romanian.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:26:29 PM by Romaios » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »

There are fonts that have only signs for basic Latin alphabet but most popular ones (the ones included in Windows) should be universal.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 04:09:24 PM »

hi, dear friends,
i agreed to help a friend out with some romanian writing, and i would like to find a romanian font on the internet (for download), so that i can write with the special accents, like the 'a' with a hat and the t with a squiggle (for 'ts/cz').
sorry, i can't remember what the proper names are for the accents (neither in english or romanian)!

i think i had it somewhere on the computer i used to have >10 years ago, but i don't have one on my new computer, and had not realised until after i started writing.

If you have Windows, go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Keyboards and Languages, Change Keyboards, Add, scroll down to Romanian, click the plus sign next to Romanian, click the plus next to Keyboard, and check which Romanian keyboard you want. Once finished, click OK, then Apply (or OK), OK and then exit out of Control Panel.

After you do that, you can use Alt+Shift to switch the language your keyboard is in.
You could probably get an photo of a Romanian keyboard so that you know which buttons to press for which letters and how to produce the accents.

I have Greek on mine (from my trip to Greece 2 years ago) and Russian because I still try to search for articles and videos in Greek and Russian (like if I'm searching for videos of a certain hymn).

I don't know how it is on a Romanian keyboard, but in Greek, the button we (Americans) use for ; is what is used to add an accent mark.

Hope this helps.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »

thanks for all the helpful comments, but i use an apple mac.
i used to find the accent marks in the symbols section and just insert them individually many years ago when i had windows.
but now there are only french and german accent marks in the symbols section, and none of the letters romaios kindly provided examples for.

i could just copy and paste his (assumedly, as he is using male screen name) into my document, but i want to email them and for them not to appear as square boxes on the other side.

any other ideas?
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »

thanks for all the helpful comments, but i use an apple mac.
i used to find the accent marks in the symbols section and just insert them individually many years ago when i had windows.
but now there are only french and german accent marks in the symbols section, and none of the letters romaios kindly provided examples for.

i could just copy and paste his (assumedly, as he is using male screen name) into my document, but i want to email them and for them not to appear as square boxes on the other side.

any other ideas?

Try copy pasting the letters in a mail and sending it to yourself - I doubt squares boxes will appear.

You are right to assume that I'm male. It's in my profile as well.  Smiley
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 06:26:46 PM »

Try this list: http://www.fontspace.com/category/romanian

I haven't checked all pages, but I hope they're not all as ornate as those at the front!

EDIT: Or you can use the virtual keyboard here: http://romanian.typeit.org/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:29:52 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »

You could try this layout:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16565/romanian-keyboard-layouts

If it's anything like the Windows Romanian layout, then ă is "[", î is "]", ş is ";", ţ is "'", â is "\".

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:17:20 PM »

You could try this layout:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16565/romanian-keyboard-layouts

If it's anything like the Windows Romanian layout, then ă is "[", î is "]", ş is ";", ţ is "'", â is "\".

That's probably the best advice. I don't know Macs all that well but you certainly are looking for a keyboard layout, not a font.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »

so, i downloaded ma2000's link, as recommended by james.

vă mulțumesc drăgiilori pentru limba româna!

(thanks, dears for the romanian language!)

Cheesy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: