OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 06:05:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mel Gibson's Movie--Again  (Read 2044 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: November 11, 2007, 02:08:41 AM »

The following posts, through reply #6, were split off from this thread about a Coptic Orthodox video:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13227.0.html

concerning the film, i never quite understood why so many eastern orthodox had a problem with;  
I feel the same way; I've never quite understood why either. Huh
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:21:31 PM by Salpy » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:22:57 AM »

I feel the same way; I've never quite understood why either. Huh
Because empathizing with Christ's suffering is neither Scriptural, nor how the Early Church approached the Death and Resurrection of Christ.
Frederica Matthews-Green wrote a good piece explaining the Eastern Orthodox view and the development of the "empathizing" approach in other Churches: http://www.frederica.com/writings/what-mel-missed.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:09:19 PM by Salpy » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 04:15:42 AM »

Because empathizing with Christ's suffering is neither Scriptural, nor how the Early Church approached the Death and Resurrection of Christ.

I would agree, upon the assumption that you intend the term "empathising" in the sense of mere emotional sympathy or pity, but Frederica seems to say something much different:

But in the earliest Christian writings we see a different understanding of the meaning of the Cross, one which, shockingly, didn’t think it was important for us to identify with Jesus’ suffering.

"Empathising" and "identifying" with Christ's suffering are two different things. The former is, as we have suggested, merely concerned with feelings of pity and sorrow for Christ's suffering, whereas the latter allows one to establish a sense of solidarity with Christ's suffering, and hence find purpose and meaning to their own suffering in light of Christ's sufferings. The latter, in contrast to the former, consequently helps build virtues of hope and endurance, allowing the sufferer to know that just as He shares in the suffering of Christ, He is also able to share in the victory that such suffering accomplished.

"Identifying" with Christ's suffering in this sense was very much a part of the early Christian approach to the Passion of Christ. It was precisely because of being able to identify with the sufferings of Christ in this sense, that the early Christians facing persecution could hence in turn harbour the hope in identifying with His Resurrection. A primary force motivating St Ignatios of Antioch's defence of the reality of Christ's sufferings, was the idea that such was able to make sense of his own sufferings. Consequently, he says, in his Epistle to the Smyrnaeans, "if everything our Lord did was only illusion, then these chains of mine must be illusory too!" He then goes on to explain that it is precisely because he is able to identify with Christ in his suffering, that he is hence able to endure his suffering in the first place: "Also, what end have I given myself up to perish by fire or sword or savage beasts?...it is only in the name of Jesus Christ, and for the sake of sharing His sufferings, that I could face all this..."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:09:41 PM by Salpy » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 05:10:22 AM »

On a different matter, could one of the moderators split this thread where they feel appropriate so as to move discussion relating to 'The Passion' to the Faith or Free For All section. The video linked to in the OP is clearly and simply aimed at provoking an awareness of the Liturgy as a re-enactment of the Life of Christ, particularly His Passion. It is not concerned with the questions being raised in regard to theological approaches to Christ's Passion.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:10:08 PM by Salpy » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 05:53:37 AM »

Frederica seems to say something much different
Methinks thous readest too much into it.

"Empathising" and "identifying" with Christ's suffering are two different things.
Not in the context in which Matthews-Green is speaking, nor in the psychological sense of "identifying". "Identifying" is a psychopathology in which one's sense of self or ego is "identified" with someone (or something) else's. You cannot know how or what anyone else feels or what they suffer- you can appreciate it, but you cannot know it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:10:33 PM by Salpy » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 08:51:27 AM »

Methinks thous readest too much into it.

Well I hope so. Consider, however, that I am reading her in light of what she doesn't say as much I am in light of what she positively asserts.

In my opinion, if Matthews-Green properly appreciates the significance of the historical reality of Christ's human sufferings, then her critique shouldn't have been so one-sided.

When I first saw 'The Passion' I was personally very moved, not because I felt sorry for Christ, but because I was graphically reminded of the extent of His Love—of the fact that, although being the impassible and transcendent God, He, of His own will, humbly assumed true flesh, and consequently experienced (again, of His own will) genuine human pain, suffering, and ultimately death, for our sake.

I was very conscious of the fact that throughout the entire course of His Suffering, He was conquering suffering—at no point did I pity Him (the only one I could pity was myself, as I was prompted to reflect upon the fact that despite the measures He took for my sake, I have yet to reciprocate an infinitesimal measure of His Love) yet at the same time I realised that He could've so conquered suffering and death through any other means had He so willed (after all, He is God). But He chose to suffer. Not in appearance, but in reality.

That's how I apprehended the movie when I first viewed it; it was an artistic reinforcement of the historical reality and genuineness of Christ's Passion—a reality and genuineness that serves as concrete evidence of His Love. Later on, as I got deeper into Christological and Soteriological studies, I came to a more refined understanding of just how that Love was effected as I came to further appreciate the idea that the historical reality and genuineness of Christ's suffering is the foundation of our own hope to be freed from the suffering of this age and world; a reality and genuineness that the Church has gone to lengths to defend since time immemorial.

Ultimately, like any form of art, Gibson's movie is not self-interpreting. It is what the viewer makes of it based on their own presuppositions. In my opinion, a good Orthodox response to 'The Passion' would aim to reinforce the Orthodox presuppositions through which the film should be viewed so as to encourage an edifying apprehension of and reflection upon the movie. Absolutising a particular and negative take on the movie is not only theologically narrow, but philosophically absurd (in my opinion at least).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:10:58 PM by Salpy » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 09:05:31 AM »

Why haven't brutally violent and bloody portrayals of Christ in excruciating agony been in either of our Churches iconographic/artistic and even literary traditions if they are so vital to our appreciation that they were "real" events? Our Churches certainly had the media with which they could have done so- so why didn't they?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:11:27 PM by Salpy » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 08:53:30 PM »

Why haven't brutally violent and bloody portrayals of Christ in excruciating agony been in either of our Churches iconographic/artistic and even literary traditions if they are so vital to our appreciation that they were "real" events?

Well, first of all, I don't think they are vital to such an appreciation; only helpful to developing and/or reinforcing such an appreciation, and even then, only helpful to some.

Second of all, I agree that the movie was maybe a little too "brutally violent." I think it would have been just as effective had it been toned down a bit. I am in no position to judge the historical accuracy of the degree of violence depicted, however, and I would suggest that such is an important issue to consider.

Thirdly, I think the iconographical tradition is a whole different issue—it has a rather unique and defined purpose. With respect to non-iconic artistic depictions of the Crucifixion, I will address that in my response to the below comment:

Our Churches certainly had the media with which they could have done so- so why didn't they?

The effectiveness of 'The Passion', insofar as I have attempted to account for it in light of my own personal experience and interpretation, lies in its ability to absorb the viewer and transport him/her to the historical stage of Christ's Sufferings as a live witness. This ability is ultimately a result of the "realistic-ness" of the scenes—a realistic-ness that only the highest level of cinematography and professional acting can successfully produce. I don't think either of our Churches have ever had the capacity or means to do what Gibson did, and if we ever at any point do acquire such a capacity and means, then I should hope to see an Orthodox take on the Passion some time in the future--one which does not play down His Suffering (it seems that Matthews-Green would have Christ strolling to Golgotha as if taking a walk in the park), but one which nevertheless complements such scenes with substantial emphasis on the Resurrection so as to give a more complete picture to those who approach such a film without the proper theological presuppositions in mind.

Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 12:00:26 AM »

Hello,

Part of the need and the usefulness of this film is to combat what I call the band-aid death of Jesus theory. If you watch the films of Christ, which is were many Christians will form a solid image of the Passion of Christ, there is something very amiss. At the time of the Crucifixion, after the scourging and crowning with thorns and all that, Jesus looks no worse than if He had fallen into a rose bush - a couple of scratches. Put a band-aid on it and it's all better. So from this image, it is easy to deceive someone into thinking - maybe Jesus really did just faint (Muslims, etc.) or maybe He could have survived and wed someone (Dan Brown, etc.), etc. The "Passion of the Christ" forms the visual image that there is no way Christ survived the Crucifixion. That was a given back in Apostolic times when everyone knew what crucifying entailed, but we don't have that knowledge readily today.

Another thing it shows is the extent of the pre-Crucifixion beating that Jesus took. There are doctors who have studied this and say that Jesus most probably died from a severe loss of blood - cue typology of the sacrificial lamb.

Another thing this movie imparts is the extent of God's love for us. That Jesus undertook that willingly for us men and for our salvation. That He endured that for YOU and for me.

There are other good points made by EkhristosAnesti. That is all that is coming to my mind at the present moment.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 12:15:58 AM »

Mel's movie, past threads:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11345.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,2624.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,2957.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,5470.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,1949.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,8277.0.html

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »

Why haven't brutally violent and bloody portrayals of Christ in excruciating agony been in either of our Churches iconographic/artistic and even literary traditions if they are so vital to our appreciation that they were "real" events? Our Churches certainly had the media with which they could have done so- so why didn't they?

Because they didn't live in an age and place that lived in such denial of violence.  I remember when the films from the bombers of the first Gulf War were sold as entertainment.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 07:23:49 PM »

Just for the record, HH Pope Shenouda didn't like the movie.  He explained the reason to be that the Crucifixion was taken in isolation of the Resurrection.  I might have mentioned this in another forum.  But nevertheless, HH didn't like that "emphasis" on the suffering of Christ (even though I find nothing wrong with it, especially since the movie was called "the Passion").

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 08:58:28 PM »

Hello,

He explained the reason to be that the Crucifixion was taken in isolation of the Resurrection.
Even though they do show it, albeit for only 5 seconds?

I am still waiting for a prequel and a sequel to this movie.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 11:13:29 PM »

Oh, there is a sequel already. Here's the trailer.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 11:26:14 PM »

Hello,

Oh, there is a sequel already. Here's the trailer.
Maybe someone finds this funny. But when it comes to Our Lord, I don't find that kind of crude content humorous in the least.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 01:36:20 AM »

Hello,
Maybe someone finds this funny. But when it comes to Our Lord, I don't find that kind of crude content humorous in the least.
Yea, my sentiments exactly! Sad
Tags: The Passion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: