OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:17:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blessing of Converted Churches  (Read 1488 times) Average Rating: 0
BasilCan

« on: November 09, 2007, 09:05:02 PM »

Okay, here is an interesting question.  My friend's orthodox mission has just purchased an ex-Episcopalian (Anglican) church, that had most recently been rented by some strange new age church/club. Anyways, what we want to know is this: are there any prayers of exoricism or blessings of buildings being converted into a church in the Greek,Russian,Serbian, Antiochian etc. service books? I know there are the prayers of Consecration of a new church, but these assume a new temple is being built. Any liturgical students know of any such service OR can suggest one?

Basil
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:56:15 PM »

I haven't seen anything in a prayer book, but iirc I think some communities have just done a blessing of the building (holy water) before using it.  I don't see why an exorcism prayer couldn't be used, but always tread lightly - don't just seek out any priest, ask the bishop.  You never know what will happen.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:42:41 PM »

I've been at one; it's just like consecrating a new church.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:54:34 PM »

Same here. In the Greek & Antiochian Orthodox Churches in Australia , a purchased Church building is treated like any new Church building, and receives it's Consecration and Chrisimation from the Bishop. The Cathedral Church of Archbishop Stylianos (GO Australia), is a converted, sandstone Anglican Church dating back to the convict era.
I think some communities have just done a blessing of the building (holy water) before using it. 
In Australia, the Sanctification of Holy Water is used prior to the Liturgy only when the building is shared. For example, a PanOrthodox Liturgy takes place annually in the Olympic Stadium in Sydney which is preceded with a Sanctification of Holy Water service.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 11:56:07 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
BasilCan

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 12:12:10 AM »

Sounds like one would have a Lesser Blessing of Waters and then the consecration. Makes sense.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 12:44:56 AM »

Same here. In the Greek & Antiochian Orthodox Churches in Australia , a purchased Church building is treated like any new Church building, and receives it's Consecration and Chrisimation from the Bishop. The Cathedral Church of Archbishop Stylianos (GO Australia), is a converted, sandstone Anglican Church dating back to the convict era. In Australia, the Sanctification of Holy Water is used prior to the Liturgy only when the building is shared. For example, a PanOrthodox Liturgy takes place annually in the Olympic Stadium in Sydney which is preceded with a Sanctification of Holy Water service.

Oh, I only meant the agiasmo as a precursor to eventual consecration; while I know that if this converted building is to be a permanent Orthodox house of worship it will be consecrated, I also realize that normally the Bishops are behind on getting consecrations done.  I should have read the OP more carefully and then addressed this.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 09:56:33 PM »

I have seen a Trebnik with a special initial blessing for a house. In addition to the typical Theophany-style blessing with holy water, the service includes a couple exorcisms and an anointing. Probably modeled after a typical Consecration of a Church.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 12:09:42 AM »

Makes a lot of sense.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 08:42:37 PM »

Our parish recently bought a new building from a failed Protestant church. We prayed the prayers for a new church.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
BasilCan

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 09:12:53 PM »

What prayers are these? What book can they be found in?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 10:15:38 PM »

They're in the Book of Needs. I don't have a copy, so I can't tell you exactly what they are. I do remember, though, that the whole parish circumvented the building three times, and our priest brushed holy water on all the outside walls. Then we entered the church and went from room to room, and our priest brushed every room with holy water. We finally entered the sanctuary and blessed it with holy water and incense. There were several Trisagia and litanies, as well, but that could apply to almost all our prayers. Smiley

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: