OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:29:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholicism Bad, Orthodoxy Good, and other polemical assertions  (Read 16596 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »

Ousia directly is in the Creed. ("homousios to Patri"- literally: "the same ousia as the Father". This is usually translated in English as "One in Essence with the Father". )
Physis is implied by "became man" ("enanthropoisanta").
"Hypostasis" is also implied since Each Hypostasis of the Trinity is addressed as God in the Creed, and yet the Creed opens with the words: "I believe in One God".

Yes, this sounds awesome but wasn't this really fleshed out in a Council... St. Athanasius is coming to mind.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2007, 02:03:35 PM »

"Hypostasis" is closely translated as "Person".
"Physis" is closely translated as "Nature".
"Ousia" is closely translated as "Essence/Substance/Being".

There used to be at least one thread at now vanished EC CAF archive about the meaning of these words.

I've learned there that Copts, for instance, understood hypostasis as physis, so that's why they rejected Chalcedon. We were speaking about two natures, they understood it as two persons.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2007, 02:06:32 PM »

There used to be at least one thread at now vanished EC CAF archive about the meaning of these words.

I've learned there that Copts, for instance, understood hypostasis as physis, so that's why they rejected Chalcedon. We were speaking about two natures, they understood it as two persons.

I understand this was addressed to ozgeorge but would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I'm still learning so I'd appreciate it.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
pathofsolitude

Faith: Immaculately Pure Hesychastic Orthodoxy of the Old Way
Jurisdiction: Unorganized Catacomb Communion in Exile- (the bishops have lost the faith)

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2007, 02:17:42 PM »

Hi guys. I hope ya'll are having fun.

I just thought I would add something unrelated for a moment. If you scroll all the way down to the end of the page, one of the "tags" says: "trollodox." Funny funny.

The great apostasy has occured. Get out of there while you can!!! Its better to be priestless than to have a heretic bishop. The apostles taught that the church consists of saints only. There are about 7,000 Spirit-bearers currently in the catacombs.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2007, 03:51:47 PM »

Hi guys. I hope ya'll are having fun.

I just thought I would add something unrelated for a moment. If you scroll all the way down to the end of the page, one of the "tags" says: "trollodox." Funny funny.

Is that the name of the 10 million year old tetrapod found in the ancient archiological digs in Alexandria? Grin
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2007, 03:55:08 PM »

Troglodox?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »

I ONLY TALK ABOUT SUBSTANTIAL THINGS.

And none of my questions to you are "substantial"?

Ebor
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:50:38 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2007, 01:52:27 AM »

I am not your teacher.
Then why are you here if not to teach us?  And if you presume to teach us, does that not mean you anointed yourself to be our teacher?
pathofsolitude

Faith: Immaculately Pure Hesychastic Orthodoxy of the Old Way
Jurisdiction: Unorganized Catacomb Communion in Exile- (the bishops have lost the faith)

« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2007, 07:20:12 AM »

And none of my questions to you are "substantial"?

Ebor

Hi Ebor. I was only talking to ozgeorge when I said that. Yes your questions were substantial. Unfortunately the thread has been hijacked by scholastics.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:29:49 AM by pathofsolitude » Logged

The great apostasy has occured. Get out of there while you can!!! Its better to be priestless than to have a heretic bishop. The apostles taught that the church consists of saints only. There are about 7,000 Spirit-bearers currently in the catacombs.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2007, 08:53:12 AM »

Milarkey. That is the weakest excuse for your avoidance of answering direct questions I've ever read on ANY forum.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2007, 09:17:07 AM »

Milarkey. That is the weakest excuse for your avoidance of answering direct questions I've ever read on ANY forum.

(Chanted majesticly) A-MEN.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2007, 07:27:55 AM »

I understand this was addressed to ozgeorge but would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I'm still learning so I'd appreciate it.

Will do once the time allows, hopefully during this weekend!

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
Tags: Troll 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: