OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:25:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Senate Finance Committee begins investigations on televangelists  (Read 1922 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: November 07, 2007, 05:18:48 PM »

Looks like someone finally took notice:  A member of the Senate Finance Committee is investigating the finances of several big-name televangelists, including Kenneth Copeland, Binny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Eddie Long, Joyce Meyer, and Randy and Paula White.  (Read here.)  And cue St. John Chrysostom... now!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 05:22:12 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »

The "first family" of my alma mater (ORU) has also come under the gun recently, and for good reason...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 05:48:34 PM »

I had heard that too.  I guess these people missed that "To whom much is given" part in St. Luke. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 03:32:28 AM »

Good! These people are criminals who hide behind religion for their own profit and glory.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:10:44 AM »

Nice!  Finally, the Feds are concentrating on the televangelical mafia.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 02:41:36 PM »

Nice!  Finally, the Feds are concentrating on the televangelical mafia.

Although I tend to agree with this sentiment, I do wonder if we are not again seeing the de-Christianization of America in another venue.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 08:24:40 PM »

I don't see how it could be; these people are about as far from Christianity as I've seen. Their words might appear Christian, but their lifestyle is hedonic and morally bankrupt. They have proven time and again that they worship Mammon, and as Christ himself said, that faith is incompatible with Christianity.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 09:13:47 PM »

And I don't disagree with that assessment, but they appear Christian from the socio-political point of view. I am not commenting on these folks themselves, but the Christian image again taking another hit.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 03:08:29 AM »

And I don't disagree with that assessment, but they appear Christian from the socio-political point of view. I am not commenting on these folks themselves, but the Christian image again taking another hit.

True...but I tend to be optimistic.  Sure, this will lead to more agnostics and atheists (or other paths).  But there are those who love Christ so much that they will find their way to true Christianity, i.e. Orthodoxy.  So I tend to see this as a purification of the Christian image, not a damage.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 05:59:16 PM »

And to fuel the fire a little... Creflo Dollar's church made $69 million dollars tax free last year... and his congregation bought him a Rolls-Royce for his trouble.  (Click here.)

minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 06:53:39 PM »

And to fuel the fire a little... Creflo Dollar's church made $69 million dollars tax free last year... and his congregation bought him a Rolls-Royce for his trouble.  (Click here.)

The Bishop looks like a straight up gangster!

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 06:59:09 PM »

Hey, don't forget Pat Robertson's thoroughbred race horses.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 01:48:37 PM »

The Bishop looks like a straight up gangster!

I can just hear it... "D***, ain't it good to be Creflo?"   Cheesy

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 05:35:26 PM »

Looks like Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar are playing hide and seek with the SFC now.  Hinn has stated he'll deal with this next year and Dollar is asking for a subpoena.  Hmmm... be careful what you wish for, I say.  Smiley 

Read the full story from Associated Press.

Cleopas
Bible Thumping, Tongue Talking, Faith Walking Christian
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Charismatic Evangelical

If I'm my own Pope then I claim infalliablity. Ha!

perfecthart
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 03:10:23 AM »

I think their (WOF) doctrinal focus on monetary and materialistic gain is wrong. I think their insistence on proper expressions, positive thinking and formula, etc. as key to receiving from God is wrong. But there are no doubt many among them who are sincere converts and followers of our Lord.

Notwithstanding -- the IRS and many of the tax laws and codes we are forced to live by are outside of the scope and intent of the Constitution, the founding fathers, etc. The America we live in is the de facto state and successor of the government of the people of the United States of America. But it certainly is a far cry from the de jure and pristine form of government envisioned and inaugurated at it's inception.

Cleopas
Christopher Hart

"Every one, though born of God in an instant, yet undoubtedly grows by slow degrees” -- John Wesley
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 01:22:02 PM »

I agree, I think it's possible to find sincere converts/followers of Christ in any religion.  It's just sad to see so many people wholeheartedly following someone who promises something they can't deliver.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: