OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ways to Impress Your Friends #918: Musical Tesla Coils  (Read 1755 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: November 07, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »

Two guys with way too much time on their hands have built in their backyard twin Tesla coils that play the Super Mario Bros. theme song.  Electronics Club: 1, Jocks: 0. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1O2jcfOylU

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:37:05 PM »

Wow.  Awesome.  Great link!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:59:01 PM »

Why thank you!  And posted just in time... youtube has stopped working for me now.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:49:48 PM »

What's really scary is that there are a whole bunch of such videos on YouTube-- from a whole bunch of different people.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »

What's really scary is that there are a whole bunch of such videos on YouTube-- from a whole bunch of different people.

What's really really scary is that this is something Mr. Y. would do if he had enough free time. 

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:10:50 PM »

It's on my To Do list for June (growing longer all the time....)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:11:03 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:36:02 PM »

Note to self:  Do not enter backyard in June.   Cheesy

prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 02:08:07 AM »

Mrs Y that is the funniest thing I have seen all week! As a connoisseur of Mario and it's music really appreciated it. Mr. Y how would one go about building such a thing? not step by step but just basic.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 03:36:51 AM »

Looking at the science of this, how in the world does one make such music with Tesla coils? Huh Shocked
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 11:35:22 AM »

Mr. Y how would one go about building such a thing? not step by step but just basic.

Looking at the science of this, how in the world does one make such music with Tesla coils?

Don't know yet; ask me again in June.   Grin

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 11:40:15 AM »

Looking at the science of this, how in the world does one make such music with Tesla coils? Huh Shocked

I'm wondering that myself.  I think maybe the music doesn't come directly from the coils, but maybe with music playing in the background, the soundwaves cause the coils to react?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 11:40:51 AM by EofK » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 11:58:37 AM »

There's an explanation one the note and comments on that video:

"The music that you hear is coming from the sparks that these two identical high power solid state Tesla coils are generating. There are no speakers involved. The Tesla coils stand 7 feet tall and are each capable of putting out over 12 foot of spark. They are spaced about 18 feet apart. The coils are controlled over a fiber optic link by a single laptop computer. Each coil is assigned to a midi channel which it responds to by playing notes that are programed into the computer software."

Ebor

(who thinks this would be a Very Cool family project for the back yard)

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 04:06:20 PM »

^ Ah, pays to read the rest of the page!  Thanks for that!  Very interesting... and I agree, and interesting family project.

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 12:31:38 AM »

A somewhat more elaborate explanation: the Tesla coil is essentially an RF high voltage transformer; the sparks make sound by punching a hole in the air. Your typical coil operates in the middle kHz to MHz range, which means that the sound of continuous sparking at one power level is ultrasonic and all you here is a hiss. However, you can modulate the power output with an audio signal and then the high frequency sound generating of the RF signal serves as an AM carrier for the audio sound. It sounds terribly distorted on most of them because it is; when the sound source is actual sparks, the all-or-nothing conduction of the sparks clips the daylights out of the audio signal, and you hear a lot of fuzz. If you set it up for corona discharge instead, you can get darn good sound reproduction.

Two inevitable tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFZrcKnxnio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANiKSPtwTVc

a corona discharge example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-EaxOig-UY
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: