OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:45:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion  (Read 269580 times) Average Rating: 0
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #1485 on: May 09, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »

Tsk  Grin

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #1486 on: May 10, 2008, 02:16:47 AM »

For any unaware, E&W is our friend Papist  Grin

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1487 on: May 10, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »

For any unaware, E&W is our friend Papist  Grin
Thanks Neil.   Cheesy Yeah, I got myself into some trouble.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1488 on: May 10, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »

A question.

I've been participating on CAF for the last couple months (as someone noted earlier) and I guess I tend to think of myself as being "on the right side" over there. (Don't make me explain what I mean by that -- I think you can understand what I'm talking about.)

But nevertheless I have to wonder: is it at all possible that to post there at all is to be some kind of "sell-out"? In other words, is posting at CAF tantamount to saying to the mods "I don't care that you've banned tons of innocent posters who just got in the way of your agenda. I only care about the that you haven't banned me." Or am just feeling guilty over nothing?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1489 on: May 11, 2008, 07:34:19 AM »

A question.

I've been participating on CAF for the last couple months (as someone noted earlier) and I guess I tend to think of myself as being "on the right side" over there. (Don't make me explain what I mean by that -- I think you can understand what I'm talking about.)

But nevertheless I have to wonder: is it at all possible that to post there at all is to be some kind of "sell-out"? In other words, is posting at CAF tantamount to saying to the mods "I don't care that you've banned tons of innocent posters who just got in the way of your agenda. I only care about the that you haven't banned me." Or am just feeling guilty over nothing?

Peter,

It's a question to which there is no answer.

After Joe was terminated and the first round of 'cleansing' occurred, I stayed on over there (albeit less frequently).  I was appalled at the prospect that, with so many of my brothers and sisters banned, the quality of answers to legit inquirers would return to the early days, in which "I once heard ...", "(Altho I have never darkened the door of an EC/EO/OC/OO Church) I know for a fact that ...", etc, were stock openers to responses offered by people who knew nothing, nada, zilch about us or our Churches.

I wasn't able to keep sufficiently 'cool' and shortly outwore my welcome. Do I regret that? Yes, but only for that same reason - as I watch my fears come true. The level of misinformation grows by leaps and bounds. And, I remain eternally grateful to folks like my beloved brothers and long-time friends, Michael/Hesychios - Al/a pilgrim - Deacon Ed, and others - Mickey, jimmy, yeshua, Laka, rony, Ghosty, GregoryPalamas (if I keep naming, I'll leave someone out and feel badly), as well as other friends from ByzCath who have been posting there occasionally - Deacon Lance, Deacon Randy/Diak, Ung.

They try to keep some sense of coherence to it, but it's nigh impossible. You try and answer serious queries, but you're surrounded by ridiculousness. Case in point - the juvenile antics of such as holdencaulfield heads I get confirmed as a Latin, tails as a Ruthenian - whoops did I mention that I'm not even Catholic yet? - and that's only slightly exagerrated. Old-timers here would recognize the young man as a virtual soulmate to what-was-his-name - Matthew? - the young man torn between becoming a Benedictine Catholic or Russian Orthodox monastic, albeit he was a Latin turned Syro-Malankara Orthodox until he decided to become Ruthenian Catholic.

And, again, such as the poster who announced that he's seeking sites at which to learn the liturgy of every Eastern/Oriental Church b/c somehow this will make him a more spiritually fulfilled person (or something)  Huh

Every time another legit representative of an Eastern Church bites the dust over there. things get worse. But, it's a vicious circle. Without those who are still there, the place could still continue and the level of discussion become ever more depressingly inaccurate. But, that they remain offers the forum a respectablility that isn't merited. Catch-22.

I suspect that many of my compatriots feel much the same way.

Many years,

Neil

PS
And God bless and keep Bishop Basil of Phoenix over there. He may be of an ecclesia that most of us would label vagante, but he answers questions honestly and pretty much accurately. He also has a remarkable skill in making brief posts (in reply to the ridiculous queries and comments) cloaked in a thinly-disguised veneer that even the brain-dead should be able to understand as asking "what are you babbling about?".  I have a great respect for the man.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 07:54:51 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

yeshua

Faith: Syriac-Maronite

« Reply #1490 on: May 12, 2008, 04:17:14 AM »

I feel like I have been a hypocrite.

I did announce that I would follow Irish Melkite in his blatantaly innappropriate banning. I hold true to everything I said in that post, even though it was deleted in a matter of minutes.  Huh

However, shortly thereafter a new crop of Maronites showed up, some who had fairly good heads on them about their tradition. It become increasingly painful to see them subject to the new group of Latinized Eastern and Orientals (the latter of whom all happen to be Chaldean, interestingly enough), and the same filth that some Latins never seem to get over. So, I took it upon myslef to buttress my tradition, hoping to shed light on the polemics that have crushed my own people and encourage the Maronites at CAF to look critically at where they come from, and hoping to resonate with the one inquirer who is seeking conversion into the Maronite church. This eventually led to some tangential posts about historical revisionism and intellectual honesty.

I would like to apologize to Irish Melkite for "backing out" on my word. Though I did feel compelled to help, I did disrespect both Irish Melkite and my innocent Catholic Orthodox brothers and sisters who were also unfairly banned; I of course apologize to you as well.

Prayers please, Peace and God Bless.
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1491 on: May 12, 2008, 05:39:45 AM »

but what you have done is perfectly reasonable .

I can't see the Irish Melkite sobbing over your actions - he is only too thankful there are still some sensible folk there I'm sure.

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1492 on: May 12, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »

Yeshua,

As I was reading your post, it occurred to me that this is a matter of choosing a lesser of two evils: we're participating there with the intention of helping those who are being led astray, but that participation is inevitably going to, to a certain extent, "enable" CAF to keep doing what they do. (Actually, if we to get technical and nitty-gritty, calling it "principle of double-effect" would be even more accurate than "lesser of two evils".)

So I think the fact that we feel qualms about posting at CAF is quite natural, and in fact useful in determining at what point one might "cross the line" and actually do more harm than good.

My $0.02.
Blessings,
-Peter.

holdencaulfield

Faith: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #1493 on: May 13, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »

@Irish Melkite:

Thank You for the kind words.  Smiley

"For better is a laudable war than a peace which severs a man from God" - St Gregory the Theologian
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #1494 on: May 13, 2008, 06:28:26 PM »

They try to keep some sense of coherence to it, but it's nigh impossible. You try and answer serious queries, but you're surrounded by ridiculousness. Case in point - the juvenile antics of such as holdencaulfield heads I get confirmed as a Latin, tails as a Ruthenian - whoops did I mention that I'm not even Catholic yet? - and that's only slightly exagerrated. Old-timers here would recognize the young man as a virtual soulmate to what-was-his-name - Matthew? - the young man torn between becoming a Benedictine Catholic or Russian Orthodox monastic, albeit he was a Latin turned Syro-Malankara Orthodox until he decided to become Ruthenian Catholic.

I know Matthew in real life and I just thought you might like to know that he actually finally seems to be mellowing out.  He is now part of the OCA, and has been for several months, and really, just seems to be settling in and becoming less of a religious tourist.  Joining the OCA is actually a return to his roots- he was actually baptized Greek Orthodox as a baby(his father is Greek), despite being raised Roman Catholic.

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1495 on: May 13, 2008, 07:04:06 PM »

I know Matthew in real life and I just thought you might like to know that he actually finally seems to be mellowing out.  He is now part of the OCA, and has been for several months, and really, just seems to be settling in and becoming less of a religious tourist.  Joining the OCA is actually a return to his roots- he was actually baptized Greek Orthodox as a baby(his father is Greek), despite being raised Roman Catholic.

When he's been in the OCA for 3 years, I might believe he's mellowed! Wink

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1496 on: May 13, 2008, 08:52:40 PM »

@Irish Melkite:

Thank You for the kind words.  Smiley

Holdencaulfield,

I'm not going to lie to you: I'm not entirely unsympathetic to Irish Melkite's complaint and frustration. I can see how some of your posts on CAF might really annoy people. (And keep in mind that many of the people who undoubtedly would like to criticize your posts cannot because they have been banned by CAF mods.)

On the other hand, some of your CAF posts show real character -- for example, I admired your persistence with the question of whether it's possible for a pope to fall into heresy, even after you were told that you should ask the question because it "isn't conducive to building up your faith" (or words to that effect). Plus, of course, you're posting on this forum, where a lot of banned CAF members still post, whereas a lot of CAF posters seem to think there's no world outside CAF.

So I guess my opinion would be that the evidence, taken on the whole, isn't conclusive one way or the other (as is the case for most of us).

Just my $0.02.
Blessings,
Peter.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1497 on: May 14, 2008, 03:46:55 AM »

I feel like I have been a hypocrite.

I did announce that I would follow Irish Melkite in his blatantaly innappropriate banning. I hold true to everything I said in that post, even though it was deleted in a matter of minutes.  Huh

However, shortly thereafter a new crop of Maronites showed up, some who had fairly good heads on them about their tradition. It become increasingly painful to see them subject to the new group of Latinized Eastern and Orientals (the latter of whom all happen to be Chaldean, interestingly enough), and the same filth that some Latins never seem to get over. So, I took it upon myslef to buttress my tradition, hoping to shed light on the polemics that have crushed my own people and encourage the Maronites at CAF to look critically at where they come from, and hoping to resonate with the one inquirer who is seeking conversion into the Maronite church. This eventually led to some tangential posts about historical revisionism and intellectual honesty.

I would like to apologize to Irish Melkite for "backing out" on my word. Though I did feel compelled to help, I did disrespect both Irish Melkite and my innocent Catholic Orthodox brothers and sisters who were also unfairly banned; I of course apologize to you as well.

Prayers please, Peace and God Bless.

Yeshua, my brother,

Don't apologize, please. I think I once described you as the Maronite with the most reality-based outlook that I've ever encountered as regards to what has been done to your Church (and what it has sometimes done to itself). Maronites such as yourself and jimmy are the greatest hope that your Church has of recovering its traditions and heritage - versus being a stand-in for disenchanted Latins who want something that looks familiar, but with a bit of added flavor - which they find in the Aramaic (a crude way to phrase it, but its been my sense these past dozen years as I listen to Latin trad refugees emote about the Maronite Qurbono bringing peace to their liturgically-starved souls).

As Anhelyna and Peter have said - and as I remarked above - without folk like yourself (and jimmy, as well, who has likewise done yeoman work), and the others whom I named or to whom I alluded, the place would be bereft of any meaningful explanations. That would be ok - if they'd close it and pretty much abandon discussion of the East, but they won't and I'd rather that people asking sincere questions get correct answers than that solidarity with Irish Melkite, Father Ambrose, and others become the watchword. I know, Father knows, Orthodoc knows, StMarkE knows, Anhelyna knows, matt/mgy knows, all of us who were banned know that there are significant numbers of folk who take umbrage at what happened. It isn't necessary to throw oneself beneath the wheels of the bus to prove that.

Many years, dear friend,

Neil

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1498 on: May 17, 2008, 09:08:42 AM »

I stopped by CAF and had a message from CAF pointing out that I hadn't posted in a while.  Made a post replying to another the-Orthodox-reject-the-Filioque-just-to-be-difficult-because-they-have-no-good-reason.  Not to be redundant, but to repeat what I have already said.

I've noticed that the in depth analysis (on both sides) that used to go on over there is gone.  Why go throught the trouble just to have it flushed down....

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1499 on: May 17, 2008, 10:14:58 AM »

s'funny - but I had noticed you weren't around - glad you posted again.

Tell you someone else who seems to have vanished - Woodstock .

Has he/she been banned ?

- St. John Maximovitch
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1500 on: May 17, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »

Hi Isa,
I stopped by CAF and had a message from CAF pointing out that I hadn't posted in a while.  Made a post replying to another the-Orthodox-reject-the-Filioque-just-to-be-difficult-because-they-have-no-good-reason.  Not to be redundant, but to repeat what I have already said.

I've noticed that the in depth analysis (on both sides) that used to go on over there is gone.  Why go throught the trouble just to have it flushed down....
I understand what you are stating here, and of course you are correct.

But really, the place is not the same without you. I don't know anyone who can lay it out historically like you do, I miss your input.

Blessings to you.

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
The Iambic Pen

Faith: Catholic - Church of Old Rome
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #1501 on: May 18, 2008, 06:05:37 AM »

Poll appears to be back. In other news, E&W has been suspended over there (with label)  Roll Eyes
46 people have voted in that poll, and 17 of them have said they would leave the Catholic Church and become either Eastern or Oriental Orthodox if the Pope dissolved all Eastern Catholic Churches and made them abide by the Roman Rite.

I asked the question, "...why do the other Eastern Catholics in this thread choose to be in communion with the Pope rather than with the other four Patriarchs of the ancient Pentarchy?"

It's a little early yet to see how many people will answer that question.  I am reminded of what I said on this forum in another thread:

Eastern Catholics should be able to be both Catholic and Eastern.  However, when an apparent conflict occurs, which is more important, to be Catholic or to be Eastern?  St. Alexis chose Eastern.  The various Eastern Catholic posters who come here and complain to the Orthodox that the Western Catholics do not appreciate or understand them seem very close to making the same choice.

If the Eastern Catholics are absolutely correct in every doctrine and teaching, including those which are in opposition to that taught by Rome, why not just be Orthodox?  Would it not be better to be in communion with those also holding to the true faith, rather than be in communion with those holding to western heresies?  If one can hold to the Orthodox faith and be in communion with Rome, what is everyone arguing about, and why has reunion not already occured?
I do not at all support what CAF did during the purging of Orthodox and Eastern Catholic posters.  However, I do sympathize with the confused Latin Catholics who come to the EC forum looking for answers.  In the Catholic Church today, there are many people who dissent against the teachings of the Church.  The Apologetics forum on CAF is full of people willing to defend Catholic teaching against these dissenters.  So, a Latin rite visitor to CAF sees this strong defense in the Apologetics forum, but then he goes over to the EC forum and sees Eastern Catholics claiming that they do not need to believe in things which the Latin rite Catholic is bound to believe (perhaps at the risk of his or her soul if he or she does not) and ought to defend.

This confused Latin rite visitor might see these Eastern Catholics and think, "The modernists who oppose the Church's teaching on morality and the Eastern Catholics who oppose the Church's teaching on the Immaculate Conception, Purgatory, Original Sin, etc. are all opposing the same authority.  It looks like these Eastern Catholics are just 'cafeteria Catholics' with a different liturgy."
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1502 on: May 18, 2008, 05:01:31 PM »

I think that "How Much is Rome Worth To You?" thread is a little offensive (though not as blatantly as the "Eastern Catholics, are we really Catholic?" thread). Between the poll question ("Let's say that all of a sudden for no reason the Pope dissolved all Eastern Catholic Churches and made them abide by the Roman Rite.  What would you do? Would you stay in the Roman Catholic Church or leave?") and the recent post:

Have people gone mad? To leave the One, True, Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, simply because your liturgical rite dissapears, is an abomination. Catholics need to recognize first that the Church is the only true Church founded by Christ, then realize that it is diverse, and that its liturgies are all equal in sacredness and importance. It is time to focus on our unity and the beauty of the universality of our Church. That is why we are called the Catholic Church, because it is universal. If you are going to leave out of your pride in your liturgical rite, then you have obviously failed to realize the most important and vital truths of the Church.

... well you get the idea: it's an "interesting" thread. (Personally, I didn't respond to the poll.)

I posted this today on that other thread (Eastern Catholics, are we really Catholic?):

Quote from: Peter J
I, too, wasn't too thrilled to see the diatribes on this thread against Eastern Catholics. It occurs to me that some posters ought to be reminded to treat Eastern Catholics like guests. (Although to be fair, if our places were reversed -- that is, if this were a Latin Catholic sub-forum on an Eastern Catholic website -- I don't doubt that there would be a need to occasionally remind posters to treat the Latin Catholics like guests.)

This post was followed by a complaint from ASimpleSinner about my use of the term "guests", and then (here's the interesting part) this from a moderator:

Quote from: Catherine Grant
Note from Moderator:
Eastern Catholics are not guests on Catholic Answers Forums.

There is an expectation here at CAF that we all should behave with civility and charity. The Eastern Catholicism forum's focus is to provide a community for Eastern Catholics and to help Latin Catholics better appreciate the Church's Eastern heritage. Non-Catholics are welcome to participate but must be respectful of the faith of the Catholics participating on the board.

(That was follow by three paragraphs about the CAF rules, the job of the CAF mods, etc.) She doesn't say what would happen if I again refer to Eastern Catholics as "guests" on the CAF website, but I'm not going to take any chances.

Any thoughts?

Blessings,
Peter.

The Iambic Pen

« Reply #1503 on: May 19, 2008, 04:33:59 AM »

I think that "How Much is Rome Worth To You?" thread is a little offensive.
I still think it's a far question, though, along with the poll question:

Let's say that all of a sudden for no reason the Pope dissolved all Eastern Catholic Churches and made them abide by the Roman Rite.  What would you do? Would you stay in the Roman Catholic Church or leave?
I think it is an interesting debate (though I think the thread was removed again).  If Rome makes what appears to be a drastic error in judgment (and I agree that it would be a drastic error), are Catholics of all kinds compelled to hold to their allegiance to the see of Peter or may they follow their consciences and either enter another Church or create their own?

... well you get the idea: it's an "interesting" thread. (Personally, I didn't respond to the poll.)
Neither did I, not being Catholic, Eastern or otherwise.

(That was follow by three paragraphs about the CAF rules, the job of the CAF mods, etc.) She doesn't say what would happen if I again refer to Eastern Catholics as "guests" on the CAF website, but I'm not going to take any chances.

Any thoughts?
Well, Eastern Catholics should be able to think of themselves as being just as Catholic as anyone in the Latin rite.  Therefore, they are not "guests" in the Catholic Church, nor should they be labeled "guests" on Catholic Answers Forums.  Unfortunately, they are often made to feel that way by their Latin rite brethren.

Still, many Latin Catholics see the same contradictions, apparent or otherwise, between Eastern and Western theology that I do, and they are confused about how contradictions can exist together in the same Church.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1504 on: May 21, 2008, 08:39:45 PM »

On a related topic, I'm attempting to launch a new forum about Eastern Catholicism. If anyone's interested in joining and starting a thread, or responding to one already started, it would be a big help. (See the link in my signature.)

(I'm planning on making the forum public -- or at least "public" in the sense that statements made on CAF are "public" -- in a week or two; but I'd like to get a little activity going before that happens.)

Blessings,
Peter.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1505 on: May 21, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »

On a related topic, I'm attempting to launch a new forum about Eastern Catholicism. If anyone's interested in joining and starting a thread, or responding to one already started, it would be a big help. (See the link in my signature.)
I tried to post this comment but it would not go through...

It appears that Catholics are bound to give "submission of mind and will" even to papal statements which do not, strictly speaking, satisfy what are seen as the requirements of an ex cathedra statement.

“This religious submission of mind and will must be shown in a special way to the authentic magisterium of the Roman Pontiff, even when he is not speaking ex cathedra; that is, it must be shown in such a way that his supreme magisterium is acknowledged with reverence, the judgments made by him are sincerely adhered to, according to his manifest mind and will.”

~Dogmatic Constitution on the church #25

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #1506 on: May 22, 2008, 09:22:26 AM »

“This religious submission of mind and will must be shown in a special way to the authentic magisterium of the Roman Pontiff, even when he is not speaking ex cathedra; that is, it must be shown in such a way that his supreme magisterium is acknowledged with reverence, the judgments made by him are sincerely adhered to, according to his manifest mind and will.”

Bless Father,

This is shocking to me.
What is  "Dogmatic Constitution on the Church"? What year was this written?
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #1507 on: May 22, 2008, 09:24:40 AM »

Nevermind. I found it in LUMEN GENTIUM.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1508 on: May 22, 2008, 10:19:08 AM »

LUMEN GENTIUM

I was just going to say that.

Yes, that is one of the more difficult points of Catholic teaching.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1509 on: May 22, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »

A good example here is the teaching that priestly ordination is restricted to men: JPII didn't define it as a dogma, but he did decide that Catholics are required to agree with it.

Blessings,
Peter.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1510 on: May 22, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »

I'm sorry to say that our friend GregoryPalamas (CDL) is no longer at CAF.

Yesterday his profile said "Suspended" -- which didn't surprise me all that much, because I'd seen a post of his that was a little edgy (the one about Anglicans). Today, however, his profile says "Banned".

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1511 on: May 22, 2008, 09:56:04 PM »

Well, Eastern Catholics should be able to think of themselves as being just as Catholic as anyone in the Latin rite.  Therefore, they are not "guests" in the Catholic Church, nor should they be labeled "guests" on Catholic Answers Forums.  Unfortunately, they are often made to feel that way by their Latin rite brethren.

Iambic Pen,

I won't deny that, stated that way, it sounds very positive toward Eastern Catholics. But the underlying reality of what you're saying is that CAF represents Catholics without qualification, while the ByzCath forum (for example) represents only a subgroup.

Taking it a step further, it seems to me that there would then be little difference between the ByzCath forum and the Eastern Catholic sub-forum of CAF.

God bless,
Peter.

P.S. I don't like to talk about my own website Wink but I think you might be interested in this bit: A Catholic melting pot? (I don't think I'm violating forum rules by posting that link. But if I am, and the moderators decide to remove it, you can always go to my website and just look for "melting pot".)

Sorry, Peter, but that link IS a violation of forum rules, so I had to disable it.  I'll keep the link on file just in case Fr. Chris decides its OK, though. Smiley  - PtA
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:29:49 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Transfiguration

« Reply #1512 on: May 22, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »

Yesterday his profile said "Suspended" -- which didn't surprise me all that much, because I'd seen a post of his that was a little edgy (the one about Anglicans). Today, however, his profile says "Banned".

Must have missed that post. Was it deleted?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1513 on: May 22, 2008, 11:21:26 PM »

Must have missed that post. Was it deleted?

You know ... I'm not sure. I forget which thread it was on.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1514 on: May 22, 2008, 11:24:31 PM »

P.S. I don't like to talk about my own website Wink but I think you might be interested in this bit: A Catholic melting pot? (I don't think I'm violating forum rules by posting that link. But if I am, and the moderators decide to remove it, you can always go to my website and just look for "melting pot".)

Sorry, Peter, but that link IS a violation of forum rules, so I had to disable it.  I'll keep the link on file just in case Fr. Chris decides its OK, though. Smiley  - PtA

No prob. Smiley

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1515 on: May 23, 2008, 12:55:52 AM »

Very sad to see CDL banned, the truth hurts when you don't candy coat it...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
The Iambic Pen

« Reply #1516 on: May 23, 2008, 06:08:08 AM »

I hope they let him back again someday.  It is good to have knowledgeable Eastern Catholics at CAF.  There are less and less every day, it seems.  At least CAF was respectful enough to give him a public banning.

I also feel kind of bad, because I'm the one who brought up Anglicanism first... Sad

Iambic Pen,

I won't deny that, stated that way, it sounds very positive toward Eastern Catholics. But the underlying reality of what you're saying is that CAF represents Catholics without qualification, while the ByzCath forum (for example) represents only a subgroup.
I guess I'm speaking of what CAF should be, as opposed to what it actually is.  I guess it is best to recognize CAF as an excellent resource for information on Western, Latin rite Catholicism, but also to recognize that it is probably best to go elsewhere for information on the East.

Taking it a step further, it seems to me that there would then be little difference between the ByzCath forum and the Eastern Catholic sub-forum of CAF.
That would be the ideal.

God bless!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1517 on: May 24, 2008, 06:23:31 PM »

That would be the ideal.

Touché, I guess I walked right into that. But my point is that the latter is no substitute for the former. If every EC forum were a sub-forum on a Latin Catholic website (or "general Catholic website" is probably how they prefer to be described) then that would be inadequate just as a matter of principle (even barring the particular problems we've seen on certain Catholic websites).

The Iambic Pen

« Reply #1518 on: May 25, 2008, 02:42:02 AM »

That would be the ideal.

Touché, I guess I walked right into that. But my point is that the latter is no substitute for the former. If every EC forum were a sub-forum on a Latin Catholic website (or "general Catholic website" is probably how they prefer to be described) then that would be inadequate just as a matter of principle (even barring the particular problems we've seen on certain Catholic websites).
Ah yes, that makes sense.  I believe I misunderstood what you were saying earlier.  Perhaps the ideal, from a Catholic point of view, would be a Catholic forum where a Latin sub-forum and an Eastern sub-forum were on an equal footing.  As it is, at CAF, one gets the impression that Latin Catholicism is "standard" Catholicism, while Eastern Catholicism is something quite different.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1519 on: May 25, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »

that Latin Catholicism is "standard" Catholicism, while Eastern Catholicism is something quite different.

This is true in my neck of the woods...the only thing I would modify is drop the Latin term and replace with American...

What happens in Rome is a after thought...

By the way CDL is alive over at Stevie Ray's place...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1520 on: May 25, 2008, 06:43:40 PM »

By the way CDL is alive over at Stevie Ray's place...

Stevie Ray, bah. What has his site got that mine doesn't? (I'm completely kidding actually I have no idea what Steve Ray's site is like.)

Perhaps the ideal, from a Catholic point of view, would be a Catholic forum where a Latin sub-forum and an Eastern sub-forum were on an equal footing.

Such a forum would be very, very interesting.

EWTN's Q&A is little closer to that: out of its 13 sections, one is devoted to Eastern Catholic Churches and one ("Apologetics") is run by Catholic Answers.

Blessings,
Peter.

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #1521 on: May 25, 2008, 10:24:34 PM »

Truly sad!

I am an Eastern Catholic and I do not find CAF to be a welcoming place.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian

« Reply #1522 on: May 29, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »

Very sad to see CDL banned, the truth hurts when you don't candy coat it...
Truly sad!

I am an Eastern Catholic and I do not find CAF to be a welcoming place.
I was particularly disturbed by this.

Carson is a personal friend of mine, we have known each other for years now.

His writing style can come across as rather acerbic at times, especially when he is passionate about an issue. About his church he carries a great passion. We do not always agree, but I have a lot of respect for him.

And you should hear him sing...a beautiful deep baritone voice! And he is a very devout Catholic, active in evangelism and a big volunteer around the parish.

His banning came as a shock to me, I think that the moderation there is wavering quite a bit, easily influenced by private complaints instead of standing impartially back and looking at the big picture. It is embarrassingly obvious the moderator is not reading the forum on a regular basis.

I am getting the impression (don't know this for sure) that certain individuals are drawing out other posters into stating things so as to report them and have them silenced. Like a hockey game, getting your opponent into the penalty box can be a strategy.

Michael

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Heracleides
Elder

Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Jerusalem

Kona-Kai

« Reply #1523 on: May 29, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »

I am getting the impression (don't know this for sure) that certain individuals are drawing out other posters into stating things so as to report them and have them silenced. Like a hockey game, getting your opponent into the penalty box can be a strategy.

Don't be shy.  Anyone who reads CAF & ByzCath on a regular basis knows that A Simple Sinner (to name but one) utilizes this strategy quite frequently.  It is rather odd how some Eastern Catholics prey upon other Eastern Catholics, but seems to the norm on both forums (CAF moreso than ByzCath) at present.

"And having found Heracleides there again, we instructed him to proclaim the Gospel of God..."  ~Acts of Barnabas
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #1524 on: May 29, 2008, 11:35:42 AM »

I was particularly disturbed by this.

Carson is a personal friend of mine, we have known each other for years now.

His writing style can come across as rather acerbic at times, especially when he is passionate about an issue. About his church he carries a great passion. We do not always agree, but I have a lot of respect for him.

And you should hear him sing...a beautiful deep baritone voice! And he is a very devout Catholic, active in evangelism and a big volunteer around the parish.

His banning came as a shock to me, I think that the moderation there is wavering quite a bit, easily influenced by private complaints instead of standing impartially back and looking at the big picture. It is embarrassingly obvious the moderator is not reading the forum on a regular basis.

Michael
Yes. Sad situation. The moderation there is horrid. I refuse to participate in that particular forum any longer.
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #1525 on: May 29, 2008, 11:37:49 AM »

Don't be shy.  Anyone who reads CAF & ByzCath on a regular basis knows that A Simple Sinner (to name but one) utilizes this strategy quite frequently.
Yes. He is a very bitter man. He has drawn me into the fray on numerous occasions.

But it is my own fault for cooperating.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1526 on: May 29, 2008, 11:54:40 AM »

I think its unfair to paint Simple Sinner as a bad guy here. He upholds the Catholic faith in its entirety. That is no reason to demonize him.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Heracleides
Elder

Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Jerusalem

Kona-Kai

« Reply #1527 on: May 29, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »

I think its unfair to paint Simple Sinner as a bad guy here. He upholds the Catholic faith in its entirety. That is no reason to demonize him.

Nobody is demonizing A Simple Sinner, but rather commenting on his posting tactics.  He has a discernable modus operandi and hence reputation, much like yourself, so deal with it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:48:34 PM by Heracleides » Logged

"And having found Heracleides there again, we instructed him to proclaim the Gospel of God..."  ~Acts of Barnabas
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1528 on: May 29, 2008, 01:58:29 PM »

I agree 101%...

Michael

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1529 on: May 29, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »

Ah... Advanced Trolling 401.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags: Catholic Answers Forum CAF Reunion CAF 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: