OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:31:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion  (Read 279837 times) Average Rating: 0
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1035 on: January 07, 2008, 08:32:20 PM »

Father Bless ...It was a most excellent video clip thank you stashko......SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1036 on: January 07, 2008, 10:12:14 PM »

I have split off a tangent from this thread about Latin vs. Eastern Catholics and moved it here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14215.0.html

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #1037 on: January 08, 2008, 01:51:18 AM »

To all of my brethren on the Julian Calendar, a Blessed Christmas and a Holy and Healthy New Year

Christ is Born!  Glorify Him!

Father,

A beautiful video; I first saw it several months ago and it is no less wonderdul on each new hearing.

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1038 on: January 09, 2008, 04:00:41 AM »

I see that Isa has had his account placed "Under Review" - in looking at his posts, I don't see any clear indication as to what triggered it - but, the post may have been deleted.

Laka posted a "things that ought to/need to change" type of thread, which I note was edited by Ms Grant, suggesting that he either crossed or ran too close to the line also - but, for now, his account appears to be intact.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:13:46 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #1039 on: January 09, 2008, 04:37:45 AM »

Christ is Born !
Glorify Him !

And it starts again Sad

I really wonder just how long it will be before the RC Members start asking questions - they must have noticed that fewer and fewer of their questions / statements are being answered by posters with any real knowledge of Easter Traditions and traditions
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:38:39 AM by the slave » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1040 on: January 09, 2008, 04:44:19 AM »

Isa has moved from "acct under review" to "suspended" in the last 2.5 hrs. That does not bode well.

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1041 on: January 09, 2008, 04:46:54 AM »

Christ is born !

Glorify Him !

They are moving much faster nowadays.

It will be interesting to hear what the suspended notice gives for  the length of his exile

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #1042 on: January 09, 2008, 04:51:21 AM »

I no longer post at CAF because the EC forum appears to be designed with the specific purpose of forcing Eastern Catholics to conform to the doctrinal theories of the medieval Latin West, and as a Ruthenian Catholic I find that offensive.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1043 on: January 09, 2008, 09:16:45 AM »

Christ is Born!

Hello Apotheoun,
...the EC forum appears to be designed with the specific purpose of forcing Eastern Catholics to conform to the doctrinal theories of the medieval Latin West...
I agree with this assessment.

I believe that the entire change comes as a directive from Karl Keating to Therese Martin. I always respected the CAF for having a very open forum, and posted several times (in those days) that I appreciated what Karl Keating and his organization had done with the Eastern Christianity section. Give credit where it is due I say  Embarrassed

I might just as well recognize the fact that the new policy comes straight from the top as well. The old forum must have either come as an embarrassment to them, or it threatened the flow of money. I refuse to cooperate with that new management style, becoming a foil for their dominating arguments. Clearly now there is an agenda to tightly control the flow of information, Isa was posting some astounding things on there up to these last few days and it made someone somewhere uncomfortable.

Isa really is pretty well grounded, quite knowledgeable, especially details concerning the Councils and the theology discussed in them. I have learned from what he writes almost every day that I could read him and it has stimulated my own further studying. I would hope he can spend more time here, but there does not seem to be the same level of activity (or number of challenging perspectives) on this site, I am sure you can see what I mean.

Michael, that sinner

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Fuerza

Faith: Latin Catholic

« Reply #1044 on: January 09, 2008, 02:00:07 PM »

Christ is Born!

Hello Apotheoun, I agree with this assessment.

I believe that the entire change comes as a directive from Karl Keating to Therese Martin. I always respected the CAF for having a very open forum, and posted several times (in those days) that I appreciated what Karl Keating and his organization had done with the Eastern Christianity section. Give credit where it is due I say  Embarrassed

I might just as well recognize the fact that the new policy comes straight from the top as well. The old forum must have either come as an embarrassment to them, or it threatened the flow of money. I refuse to cooperate with that new management style, becoming a foil for their dominating arguments. Clearly now there is an agenda to tightly control the flow of information, Isa was posting some astounding things on there up to these last few days and it made someone somewhere uncomfortable.

Isa really is pretty well grounded, quite knowledgeable, especially details concerning the Councils and the theology discussed in them. I have learned from what he writes almost every day that I could read him and it has stimulated my own further studying. I would hope he can spend more time here, but there does not seem to be the same level of activity (or number of challenging perspectives) on this site, I am sure you can see what I mean.

Michael, that sinner

Isa has made a few comments on there that some people found insulting, although I'm not quite sure anything that he said merited being banned. Personally, I think CAF is just being a little uptight about not wanting anymore arguments of the scale that often occured on the EC forum. The fights often went far beyond theology into personal insults, and you must acknowledge that the guilty parties came from both sides.

That said, I think that CAF is actually doing a disservice to its members by shutting down the alternate viewpoints. I learned a lot fro the old EC forums and although I will never be convinced that Catholicism is not the true Church, I thoroughly enjoyed the theological dialogue over there. Maybe one day CAF will come back nto its senses when it realizes what it has lost.
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #1045 on: January 09, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »

Personally, I think CAF is just being a little uptight about not wanting anymore arguments of the scale that often occured on the EC forum.
Yet I am still perplexed by something.....

The RC /protestant debates can get very inflamatory--as much if not more so than any RC/Orthodox debate. Yet there is much tolerance for the protestants. And I have not heard of any secret non-labeled banning of the protestant membership.

So what gives?

I am wondering why Karl and the gang are so fearful of an educated Orthodox participation.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1046 on: January 09, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »

The RC /protestant debates can get very inflamatory--as much if not more so than any RC/Orthodox debate. Yet there is much tolerance for the protestants. And I have not heard of any secret non-labeled banning of the protestant membership.

So what gives?

I am wondering why Karl and the gang are so fearful of an educated Orthodox participation. 

Maybe it's just a case of "familiarity breeds contempt" w/ regards to their interaction with the Orthodox...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1047 on: January 09, 2008, 03:56:26 PM »

Hang on a bit - it's not just educated Orthodox who are being banned - it's anyone with the label of Eastern whatever  Huh

OK - mine was warranted - mebbe  but others ?? OH NO  This is an orchestrated campaign I'm certain .

Look at the action last night - in a space of 2 hours Isa went from being under review to being suspended- and at a time when , as far as I know, all good Americans are in their beds . So some Mod/Admin/whatever  on CAF is doing things overnight

sorry I have just realised that I used the word banned when he was suspended - I have made the correction . Hopefully he will be permitted to post once he has served his term in exile - though as yet we have not heard from Isa how long this is to be .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:12:02 PM by the slave » Logged

- St. John Maximovitch
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #1048 on: January 09, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »

Hang on a bit - it's not just educated Orthodox who are being banned - it's anyone with the label of Eastern whatever  Huh
Yes, you are correct. My apologies.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1049 on: January 09, 2008, 05:40:24 PM »

It is very simple, the majority of converts are from the protestants, therefore CA is more tolerable towards them, I doubt if many Orthodox jump ship due to CA, also the Eastern Catholics & Orthodox are seen as a threat to expose some truths and a type of poacher...

Personally, I'm tired of progressives, birds of a feather...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1050 on: January 09, 2008, 05:49:35 PM »

just picked up a wonderful post there Smiley

From The Iambic Pen

Writing posts that are in favor of the Christian East seems to be a step on the road to posting elsewhere...  Sad

- St. John Maximovitch
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1051 on: January 09, 2008, 06:08:40 PM »

I see that Isa has had his account placed "Under Review" - in looking at his posts, I don't see any clear indication as to what triggered it - but, the post may have been deleted.

No, to their credit, it is still up and unedited.  When I pull it up, it shows a red note with infraction on my screen.
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=3163827&highlight=Latin#post3163827

The thread is the old one argument that the Orthodox have gone astray because it "allows" divorce, whereas Rome's annullments presreves the sanctity of marriage.  

A lot of people involved I think won't see a difference from a divorced from a "anullled" couple.  I am sure the children won't.

Some say that the anullment process was "healing."  I hope it is, but how mystifies me, as the decison rests not on the events of what led to the breakdown of the marriage (and only broken, not invalid marriage, go into the tribunal), but on the events BEFORE the marriage (which admittedly might be the source of the problem, but the analysis is stopping short).  I don't see any follow up to make sure one doesn't get into another "invalid" marriage. Catharsis by denying the marriage existed.

I can see how the process might make one reflect.

The review and then suspension  was over the final comment:

"And I haven't. Now we can talk Catholic to Latin."

which I was told was uncharitable and disappointing coming from someone "we know" to be of "deep faith" (were that I merited such a description.  Little Faith is more like it).

Laka posted a "things that ought to/need to change" type of thread, which I note was edited by Ms Grant, suggesting that he either crossed or ran too close to the line also - but, for now, his account appears to be intact.

I noticed that Iambic Pen's post.

They are moving much faster nowadays.

It will be interesting to hear what the suspended notice gives for  the length of his exile

Yes.

It might have been waiting for me to open the PM from the moderator (btw, not katherine grant police).

I saw the "under review," opened the PM, and then the "suspended" came up shortly afterwards.

Then I saw the Happy Birthday message from CAF. Huh

My penance was two weeks.

I was of like mind.

Yes, I think the comment was somewhat of a last straw.  I have posted several times that the bragging of the anullment process turns my stomach (as does the thought that Orthodoxy "allows divorce").  I think every anullment is a tragedy, as is every divorce.  The divorce industry has done quite a job selling divorce as a solution, even a diserable growing process (remember the comment that the cause of the "gender gap" was that George Bush Sr. reminded every woman of her "first husband," assuming of course that every woman should have more). That the anullment tribunal should provide a source of pride stuns me.

Hypocrisy: the tribute vice pays to virtue.  I have not shyed away from calling it as I see it.  And I can tell many don't like that type of bare knuckled scrutiny of it.

I would hope he can spend more time here, but there does not seem to be the same level of activity (or number of challenging perspectives) on this site, I am sure you can see what I mean.

I'm not much of a singer to the choir.  Nor telling people what they already know.  I talk too much already.  The rules here allow for longer editing time, which cuts down on posts.

CAF presents a more dire need of education.

Isa has made a few comments on there that some people found insulting, although I'm not quite sure anything that he said merited being banned. Personally, I think CAF is just being a little uptight about not wanting anymore arguments of the scale that often occured on the EC forum. The fights often went far beyond theology into personal insults, and you must acknowledge that the guilty parties came from both sides.

Issue of Catholic vs. Latin came, as one can see on the thread in question, by the "this-is-our-forum" trump card.

The issue of the use of terms has been a sticking point for me.  The rules here are spelled out, and I use what terms in good conscience I can use.  I can't use "Catholic" in reference to those now in Rome, as many of their appologist use the mere identity of terms to that used by St. Ignatius as proof of their position the last 1900 centuries.  And of course the problem that we Orthodox everyday confess that we believe in "One, Holy, CATHOLIC, and Apostolic Church," by which we mean us, not the present administration of Rome.  So it (in English, not in most other languages) confuses rather than clarifies.  I try to be 100% Catholic, but I won't bend my knee to Rome until he confesses the Orthdox Faith.

I don't use Roman because 1) the so called Byzantines (I term I NEVER use) were the Romans, 2) my ex-wife is Romanian, and although she is not Orthodox (she was told never to come back) many of the Romanians thoroughly are, and they are also 100% Roman (I refer to the Romans to my sons as "your ancestors" stramosii vostri).

I trust I don't have to explain papist (though in my protestant days, that was on the table).

As I have posted both here and there numerous times that I accept the validity of sacraments of those under Rome (except baptism of desire), and went after a couple of swipes against their church a number of times and swipes against things we have in common.  And my admiration for JP II the Great, and B XVI.

So my comment came in the context of the particular thread.  I thought that according to the new regime, the thread was misposted.  But then I don't think much of the change of rules: indeed for some time I would not post there, and still would hesitate.  Only when I felt that something point cried out to be made, such as the OP saying they were considering Orthodoxy or John Pipe (don't recall an Apostle by that name), I jumped in.

The issue was presented that the Orthodox will remarry the divorced, as a sure sign of deviation from the Fathers, and that "since anullment doesn't equal divorce," that Rome was "in the clear" and all is well. 60,000 a year in this country alone is not well (thought better than the divorce statistics overall.  But how many bother with an annullment?).  The intent of this was to show the potential Orthodox convert (who stated they had, past tense, left Rome) had to "come to grips" that the Orthodox had deviated.

As I stated "I've always found it odd to decide a church based on what it says is bad things (the Latin church does say anullments are bad, like the Orthodox say divorce is bad, nay evil, no?)" and "If this issue wasn't brought up with such triumphalism and sanctimony, the issue of annulments being Latin divorces wouldn't come up."  For that, I was reminded that this was a "Catholic" forum (meaning, I wasn't expressing Catholic thought).

By the time they posted this, though, the mods had gotten a hold of the thread, and moved it in Non-Catholic Religion.  So I noted that we were now where a "non-catholic" could express his views, for which I was reminded that it was still a "Catholic forum" and that I couldn't be left to my "own devices." police

Hence the comment.

Looking back, on a second thought, I thought that the comment might be misconstrued and thought of changing it.  But the deadline had passed, so I thought, "so be it."

That said, I think that CAF is actually doing a disservice to its members by shutting down the alternate viewpoints. I learned a lot fro the old EC forums and although I will never be convinced that Catholicism is not the true Church, I thoroughly enjoyed the theological dialogue over there. Maybe one day CAF will come back nto its senses when it realizes what it has lost.

One can only hope.

I'm not.  I think Arsenios/maqth hit the nail on the head (perhaps a bit too caustic though): many posters under Rome I see ended up on the other side. Shocked

Yes, I've jumped in on a couple to the defense of Rome (one of my recent posts shot down a protestant who numbered Vatican among the Seven Hills of Rome, proof that she was the Whore of Babylon.  I pointed out that the Vatican was NOT one of the seven, and was outside the city walls at the time of Revelation.

I must have been really bad.  After all, didn't they tell Fr. Ambrose that they didn't want to embarass him?

The PM I got said that the status would be visible to me and the mods, but no one else.  Evidently not (though they might have mean the mark on the "offending" post).

I've gotten several kind PMs stating that they are embracing Orthodoxy in part because of my posts.  Although it's easy to sell a product that sells itself, still this is the reason why I continued to post.  (I can't access my PMs now, so I'm wondering what's happening with them now). police  Not to proselytise, but that Orthodoxy's message and image gets out: the Holy Spirit must take full responsibility if that gets out of hand. angel

Yes, it seem the message to those loyal to both Roman and the Traditions of their Fathers are being told "this church isn't big enough for the two of us."

Look at the action last night - in a space of 2 hours Isa went from being under review to being suspended- and at a time when , as far as I know, all good Americans are in their beds . So some Mod/Admin/whatever  on CAF is doing things overnight

sorry I have just realised that I used the word banned when he was suspended - I have made the correction . Hopefully he will be permitted to post once he has served his term in exile - though as yet we have not heard from Isa how long this is to be .

I knew I would have to take some time (that I don't really have) to respond.  So I had to wait for the opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 07:17:43 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1052 on: January 09, 2008, 06:28:15 PM »

OH the irony - have 2 weeks gardening leave - our decision not yours

and then to send you birthday greetings - that is really adding insult to injury

- St. John Maximovitch
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1053 on: January 09, 2008, 10:40:38 PM »

I have posted several times that the bragging of the anullment process turns my stomach (as does the thought that Orthodoxy "allows divorce").  I think every anullment is a tragedy, as is every divorce.
If the CAF is now going to ban people who point out the problems with the current teaching on marriage annulments, then they will have to throw out a lot of Catholics. Regardless of the roundabout reasoning, the annulment process is a big mistake and  a futile attempt to replay the history of the past, by pretending that there was never any marriage on the basis of some very flimsy grounds that come up in any marriage. . Fr. Doherty quotes a Tribunal official as saying:
There is no marriage which, given a little time for investigation, we cannot declare invalid
Now if there is no marriage which cannot be declared invalid, then who in the Catholic Church is actually married? And then what does that say about the integrity of the Sacraments of the Church? Here is an excerpt from the article:A Daughter's Reflection on how the Annulment experience has affected her life and life-decisions:
"As a result of this annulment I view marriage as a big waste of time, since the marriage that I am the most familiar with spanned 26 years and is viewed as a mistake by my father and the Catholic Church. I'm concerned about investing all of my energy and time into something that is ultimately 'not meant to be' and therefore doomed to fail. "
http://www.saveoursacrament.org/daughter.html

Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #1054 on: January 10, 2008, 03:25:04 AM »

God bless Isa and Matt/mgy who continue the good fight, at least for the moment, along with jimmy, rony, Ghosty, Alexius, and a few others - including bpbasilphx.

On the other side, E&W appears to have retired from the fray - not a post in EC in a week - curious, it's almost as if he had satisfied an agenda and achieved a goal. The latinized EC contingent, Aramis, A Simple Sinner, jj, and dvdjs are going strong and I see that Fireman Frank has leapt back in as well. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it - little good, I suspect.

Many years,

Neil

Thank you, Neil! It is good to be remembered, though I contribute little of interest compared to you. I am very disappointed at this news. Michael (Hesychios) told me of your suspension which now appears to be a total ban. I saw nothing offensive from you ever. I totally support the use of the "uniate" as I explained in one thread. My reasons are (I believe) good. I have spent less time posting on CAF the past few days. I am astonished at what others get away with posting on there and I find it unreasonable that you have been banned. I am surprised I have yet to be banned due to my frequent criticisms of annulments. I was recently on one thread reading harrassing comments and it disappeared. I had just expressed dismay that it was allowed to continue for so long. I am happy to see that there are several posters left who defend the East against the multitude of attacks. I wish you many years!

Prayers and Petitions,
Alexius Cool
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:27:15 AM by Alexius » Logged

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #1055 on: January 10, 2008, 03:32:21 AM »

Isa -- I saw "Account under Review" and did a double take. I couldn't believe it!

Make that "Suspended..."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:48:57 AM by Alexius » Logged

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
The Iambic Pen

Faith: Catholic - Church of Old Rome
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #1056 on: January 10, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »

From The Iambic Pen

I like to live on the edge... Smiley
LakaYaRabb

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #1057 on: January 10, 2008, 04:27:13 PM »

IrishMelkite,

Brother, I honestly don't know why they haven't deleted my account yet. The edited post took out some of my key comments. Most important was that I feel the banning of the orthodox and suspension of some eastern catholics is an embarassment and is offensive to ecumenical dialogue.

It seems that those who submit to the ultramontinist ideology that oppressed the Eastern Catholic Churches (and sdaly still inflects us) are free to post, as long as they don't call us heretics. Meanwhile, those of us who express the fullness of our tradition (which is Holy Orthodoxy) are banned, suspended or edited into a watered-down and "palatable" sound byte.  Huh

I asked them to cancel my account, but even that is irrelevant because I not post there again. Grin

Oh, I want to give a "shout-out" to my fellow Orthodox on this board that were banned from CAF. Also, Apotheoun and Jimmy.  Cool
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1058 on: January 10, 2008, 04:50:15 PM »

IrishMelkite,

It seems that those who submit to the ultramontinist ideology that oppressed the Eastern Catholic Churches (and sdaly still inflects us) are free to post, as long as they don't call us heretics. Meanwhile, those of us who express the fullness of our tradition (which is Holy Orthodoxy) are banned, suspended or edited into a watered-down and "palatable" sound byte.  Huh

Its interesting to that you feel this way. When the old Eastern Christianity forum was up and running, Joe seemed quick to disicipline anyone who expressed the traditional (what you call Latin) Catholic view points concerning the Eastern Orthodox, and unity of doctrine that should be expected between Eastern and Western Catholics. Now that the Eastern Catholicism forum exists, and Catholics are once again free to express Catholic view points, many are offended. Strange.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #1059 on: January 10, 2008, 05:01:09 PM »

Its interesting to that you feel this way. When the old Eastern Christianity forum was up and running, Joe seemed quick to disicipline anyone who expressed the traditional (what you call Latin) Catholic view points concerning the Eastern Orthodox, and unity of doctrine that should be expected between Eastern and Western Catholics. Now that the Eastern Catholicism forum exists, and Catholics are once again free to express Catholic view points, many are offended. Strange.

Ah Ultramontanism and her sister Latinization are a'riding.

So traditional=Latin=Catholic.  Unity of Doctrine=Catholic=Latin.

It seems many ultramontanists can't distinguish between the Orthodox and their brethren in the East, nor see what the Vatican says we have in common.

Yes, the ECathF has freed the ultramontanists to spew their views on the East, no matter how nonexistent the basis of those views.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #1060 on: January 10, 2008, 05:11:21 PM »

Ah Ultramontanism and her sister Latinization are a'riding.

So traditional=Latin=Catholic.  Unity of Doctrine=Catholic=Latin.

It seems many ultramontanists can't distinguish between the Orthodox and their brethren in the East, nor see what the Vatican says we have in common.

Yes, the ECathF has freed the ultramontanists to spew their views on the East, no matter how nonexistent the basis of those views.
wow. That was an emotionally Charged post.  Maybe try and see where we are coming from. In our view there was a time when, for the most part, there were no Eastern Catholic Churches and yet the Catholic Church still remained Catholic and still taught the faith through Councils. Because these Councils are true dogmatic Councils, ALL Catholics should be reuquired to assent to the teachings contained therein. The truth is singular and not subjective. What is true for one Catholic Church should be ture for another.
We traditional Catholics, however, have no problem with our Eastern Catholic bretheren. What do have a problem with is those Particular Eastern Catholics who profess the Eastern Orthodox faith rather than the Catholic faith. We understand that the body of Christ cannot profess the faith of two different religions.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #1061 on: January 10, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »

From The Iambic Pen

I see now that Catherine Grant seems to found it less than wonderful, and has posted a rather lengthy reply with the rules, party line, etc. police

Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #1062 on: January 11, 2008, 12:46:29 AM »

I saw that too!

It must be a terribly uncomfortable position to be in. I could not stand moderating in an environment like that, I'd flip.

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1063 on: January 11, 2008, 01:00:16 AM »

MODERATION:

Once again, I've had to split off a tangent about Eastern Catholics vs. Latin Catholics and merge it with the thread on this topic: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14215.0.html

Don't make me do this again.

This thread is about CAF barring Orthodox discussions. If you want to discuss Eastern vs. Western Catholicism, then do so in the Latin Catholics Vs. Eastern Catholics

Discussion and debate are fine- just do it in the correct place.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1064 on: January 11, 2008, 04:57:30 AM »

I see that Deacon Ed, who hasn't posted at CAF in quite a while, and Deacon Randy/Diak, who has only posted there a few times in the past, have both entered one of the threads. It's a bit intriguing; I'm not sure what prompted them to post over there. Both men have been long-time internet friends to me and many others at ByzCath and, as I'm sure Michael and James will agree, they're highly respected and extremely knowledgeable individuals.   

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 04:58:17 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1065 on: January 11, 2008, 06:13:37 AM »

I see 'HailMary' has also reappeared to wind things up again [ sorry   Tongue maybe I should have said to ask questions about what Melkites actually understand/believe ]

Anyone care to open a book on the length of life of the EC Board ?

- St. John Maximovitch
Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #1066 on: January 11, 2008, 10:46:56 AM »

I see that Deacon Ed, who hasn't posted at CAF in quite a while, and Deacon Randy/Diak, who has only posted there a few times in the past, have both entered one of the threads. It's a bit intriguing; I'm not sure what prompted them to post over there. Both men have been long-time internet friends to me and many others at ByzCath and, as I'm sure Michael and James will agree, they're highly respected and extremely knowledgeable individuals.   

Many years,

Neil

They both were posting about the Ruthenian  RDL controversy, an ongoing issue for Ruthenian Byzantine Catholics.

Ung-Certez
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1067 on: January 11, 2008, 03:18:10 PM »

I don't understand, they ban everyone eastern-ish.  However, take the Ruthenian music revision thread.
It has gone off topic in so many ways ans has turned into almost personal attacks between posters.
I don't get it.  Also it's almost pointless to argue, if you put the truth or true facts out, you get banned.
Even if you don't, the posters don't read them.  They just fight fight fight, and nothing gets discussed other than fighting.  The sad thing is they have pretty much lost their only truly knowledge-laden Eastern Catholics.  Then they go and loose the once-Greek/Byzantine Catholics who are now Orthodox (except for one that I know of, they lost good posts from him, but he's not been banned yet, but is thinking of leaving and only checks his private messages and throws in a post here and there).  So there is only going to be a handful of speculators left versus Latins with the medieval mindset. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:26:52 PM by username! » Logged

Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #1068 on: January 11, 2008, 10:10:53 PM »

...Latins with a medieval mindset...

What's the saying , a little knowledge is dangerous?  Shocked

U-C
The Iambic Pen

Faith: Catholic - Church of Old Rome
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #1069 on: January 12, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »

I see now that Catherine Grant seems to found it less than wonderful, and has posted a rather lengthy reply with the rules, party line, etc. police
Yeah, I was a little too close to the edge, it seems.  I had best be more careful... Smiley
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #1070 on: January 15, 2008, 01:31:18 AM »

Just a quick aside. If stifling Orthodox discussion was their intent they seem to have succeeded. For the first time since the shift away from the old forum, that I've noticed at least, there's no threads in the non-Catholic section about Orthodoxy.  Sad

Yours in Christ
Paisius
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1071 on: January 15, 2008, 02:40:26 AM »

Just a quick aside. If stifling Orthodox discussion was their intent they seem to have succeeded. For the first time since the shift away from the old forum, that I've noticed at least, there's no threads in the non-Catholic section about Orthodoxy.  Sad   

Paisius,

I believe you're correct. I did a quick run-through of that forum last night and noticed the exact same thing. Meanwhile, the EC continiues to limp along, with some cheerleading starting to emerge in an apparent effort at re-invigorating it (since the number of new posts daily seems to be dropping, particularly substantive ones).

Many years,

Neil

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1072 on: January 15, 2008, 03:22:42 AM »

I have just looked at the EC Forum - and I have to say I was stunned by the lack of activity overnight.

How long will they continue to let it suffer ?

I can't see the idea of a book study working  Sad

- St. John Maximovitch
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #1073 on: January 15, 2008, 05:22:53 AM »

police
Yes, there's a thread I want to respond to when my exile  police expires, and it is already approaching page 3.

Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #1074 on: January 16, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »

I have been studying Chinese history of late, and there was a period of dynastic change (Qin Dynasty) where Confucianism and other philosophies were officially discredited and banned. It was not just that the writings were forbidden; the people who knew them and discussed them had to be eliminated too!

The purge that followed is famously known to Chinese history as “The Burning of Books, and the Burying of Scholars”.

Food for thought…

Jaroslav Pelikan
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #1075 on: January 16, 2008, 02:51:11 PM »

I have been studying Chinese history of late, and there was a period of dynastic change (Qin Dynasty) where Confucianism and other philosophies were officially discredited and banned. It was not just that the writings were forbidden; the people who knew them and discussed them had to be eliminated too!

The purge that followed is famously known to Chinese history as “The Burning of Books, and the Burying of Scholars”.

Food for thought…

Yeah, cuz that is exactly what is happening at Catholic Answers.  Roll Eyes

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1076 on: January 17, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »

Thread Split:  Can one study Eastern Catholicism in Isolation from Eastern Orthodoxy?

The above split is where the discussion about the "Book Club" on CAF went and the posts about Eastern Catholicism/Orthodoxy and reference texts, information, etc.  It can now be found in the Catholic/Orthodox section.

Please everyone, try to stay on topic here.  This discussion is soley about the banning of Orthodox members (and Eastern Catholic members it seems) and barring of Orthodox discussion from CAF.  Other discussions belong in their own threads.  I understand topics always go off on tangents but this is soley an attempt to keep every neat and easier to find. 

I would hate to see this thread locked because it continues to go off topic so often.  The fact it does might mean it has finally run its course.

-- Friul
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:22:54 AM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1077 on: January 17, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »

I understand where you are going with this BUT it's making things very difficult for lowly folk to keep track of things.

Everything that has happened since these members started to disappear without notice , does impact on what has been  happening since.

The few members that are left , and it's looking as if some others have been 'invited' to join , are to help swell the numbers there.

The 'reading club' has been started with the idea of trying to boost numbers - but without Orthodox and EC Members with their  specialised knowledge [ that does not include me   Tongue ] this will undoubtedly fail.

It will be very interesting to see if the latest supension is lifted after the time of exile has expired

- St. John Maximovitch
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1078 on: January 18, 2008, 12:41:02 AM »

Anhelnya did they ban you yet over at caf?  I hope not, that wouldn't be nice of them.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1079 on: January 18, 2008, 01:46:01 AM »

Anhelnya did they ban you yet over at caf?  I hope not, that wouldn't be nice of them.

Oh yeah, the forum  police  got her (dangerous subversive that she is  Shocked ) even before me

Tags: Catholic Answers Forum CAF Reunion CAF 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: