OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 09:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion  (Read 279220 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #585 on: November 23, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »

Forbidden, as a great wickedness, by canons of both the Greek and Russian Churches.
LOL Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #586 on: November 23, 2007, 09:21:49 AM »

I remember responding to Mr Keating's post in a manner which would have allowed him to retract without losing face. Instead the thread disappeared, though he did off handedly admit to not being infallible before that happened in response to another Catholic poster's apparent belief in his inability to post anything incorrect.  laugh

rotfl - I remember that John

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #587 on: November 23, 2007, 11:48:14 AM »

If you can't realise that the moderators are, at the end of the day, only people, who are trying to grow closer to God and His Son, and can only mock them from a distance, it only confirms their actions against you.
One does not grow closer to God by being dishonest.  Those who are banned should be marked as such.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
maqhth

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."

« Reply #588 on: November 23, 2007, 04:48:05 PM »

One does not grow closer to God by being dishonest.  Those who are banned should be marked as such.

I at least rechly deserved banning, but was only "suspended" with a fixed and specific and guaranteed time named for the lifting of that suspension:

"NEVER"

And my claim for the banning award was my penchant, after trouncing some RC inanity, for using the triumphal expression, at the end of my postings, which said:

Quid...
Erat...
Splat...

Which is certainly a less than completely charitable closure to a post of refutation...

Arsenios

Reader Arsenios

Watch what you do...
You may be the only Bible...
That some will ever read...
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #589 on: November 23, 2007, 04:54:56 PM »

I at least rechly deserved banning, but was only "suspended" with a fixed and specific and guaranteed time named for the lifting of that suspension:

"NEVER"

And my claim for the banning award was my penchant, after trouncing some RC inanity, for using the triumphal expression, at the end of my postings, which said:

Quid...
Erat...
Splat...

Which is certainly a less than completely charitable closure to a post of refutation...

Arsenios

I was banned after an RCC poster baited me by saying "You arent questioning the motives of the moderators, are you?"

I had to answer yes ...as a point of honor.
--------------
"If you dont surrender and put down your weapons, our arrows will block out the sun !"

"Good...................Then we shall fight in the shade"

Leonides,
King of the Spartans

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
maqhth

« Reply #590 on: November 23, 2007, 04:57:08 PM »

Quote from: Magicsilence

If you can't realize that the moderators are,
at the end of the day, only people,
who are trying to grow closer to God and His Son,
and can only mock them from a distance,
it only confirms their actions against you.

So MS, are you one of those making this same accusation, except on its flip side, against the Orthodox for their FAILURE TO POST on the new Eastern Forum in defense of themselves???

I mean, exactly where would you like us to draw attention to the dark and evil deeds being committed on CAF, such that we can HELP the evildoers draw closer to God, and NOT confirm their evil actions against us???

I mean, have YOU admonished them to be truthful and open, and thus repent from their ways?

Arsenios
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 04:59:50 PM by maqhth » Logged

Reader Arsenios

Watch what you do...
maqhth

« Reply #591 on: November 23, 2007, 05:07:32 PM »

--------------
"If you dont surrender and put down your weapons, our arrows will block out the sun !"

"Good...................Then we shall fight in the shade"

Leonides,
King of the Spartans

The Spartans had great quotes...  When Athens had them surrounded, out manned, and blocaded with ships, and were demanding their surrender, or be invaded, the Athenians said to them: "And when we invade, because or your obstinence in your failure to surrender, if we prevail, we will kill every last man of you over the age of 10, and we will enslave and sell to the barbarians all your women and children and old people, and utterly destroy your towns and cities...

And the spartan commander answered with one word:

"EI"

[IF]

And Athens invaded, and lost the war...

Arsenios

Reader Arsenios

Watch what you do...
Magicsilence
CAF driftwood

Maronite Catholic

« Reply #592 on: November 23, 2007, 05:58:35 PM »

So MS, are you one of those making this same accusation, except on its flip side, against the Orthodox for their FAILURE TO POST on the new Eastern Forum in defense of themselves???

No.

I mean, exactly where would you like us to draw attention to the dark and evil deeds being committed on CAF, such that we can HELP the evildoers draw closer to God, and NOT confirm their evil actions against us???

You may say whatever you like, wherever you like, but my initial sympathies with the Orthodox are quickly waning as a direct result of posts like this one, and the tone they take.

I mean, have YOU admonished them to be truthful and open, and thus repent from their ways?

Arsenios

I have spoken with them, yes. But, I am still undecided as to whether there exists something from which to repent.

In Jesus Christ,
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 05:59:50 PM by Magicsilence » Logged
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #593 on: November 23, 2007, 06:22:06 PM »

Yes at times things could get very hmmmmm looking for the word I want  mmmmmmm interesting ? Spirited ? Shocked Roll Eyes

However taking action 2 weeks after someone has last posted is just NOT ON.

That is my main growse

To me there is a degree of injustice , even spitefulness.

The labels are still not there - oh except on other folk in other fora Sad
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 06:26:05 PM by the slave » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #594 on: November 23, 2007, 06:59:06 PM »

I have to say that there were some issues of charity from both sides. From having witnessed hundreds of discussions on CAF, though, the same amount of issues present themselves within all the other forum areas...That said, I think the amount of resistance from both sides added to the decision to do away with "foreign invaders." That degree of resistance was not present within the non-Catholic area. What troubles me is that within the non-Catholic section, the treatment of Muslim posters (with exceptions) is worse than any I had ever seen in the EC sub-forum...

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #595 on: November 23, 2007, 07:04:42 PM »

Hello,

Do you really think, Athanasios, that "simple information exchange" is even desirable, when the salvation of souls is at stake?  Have you ever read an anathema?  Does it sound at all like a "simple information exchange"Huh

Arsenios
Under that phrase (maybe not the best word usage available) I put the explanations of the faith and reasons why they are correct and other viewpoints are incorrect. Remember, only the Holy Spirit can convert a soul - ours is not to convert, but to converse.  Wink

P.S. - I don't know about you, but I lack the authority to issue an anathema. Grin

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #596 on: November 23, 2007, 08:41:28 PM »

I have to say that there were some issues of charity from both sides. From having witnessed hundreds of discussions on CAF, though, the same amount of issues present themselves within all the other forum areas...That said, I think the amount of resistance from both sides added to the decision to do away with "foreign invaders." That degree of resistance was not present within the non-Catholic area. What troubles me is that within the non-Catholic section, the treatment of Muslim posters (with exceptions) is worse than any I had ever seen in the EC sub-forum...

What do you mean "worse" with the Muslim posters?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #597 on: November 23, 2007, 10:14:10 PM »

Thats so true ..the moderators very rarely intervened if at all in the R.C. moslem discussions .They let the Catholic posters have afield day insulting the prophet of islam also in the mormon /R.C. discussions ..i actually complained to the moderators about that once nothing was done about it ...what iv noticed, if the some of the catholics are losing a debate they turn to insults....yesterday there was a discussion by a very educated evangelical protestant about the pope his office his succession not of peter but of paul and the imaculate conception of mary ,this guy was so good to point the error from scripture and the early church fathers very cool and calmly that scripture and the holy fathers proved that there wasn't anything as a pope or a pope with supreme powers and that mother mary was born like you and i ...he was so good only one catholic or two tryed to debate with him the other catholics were insulting him ...i tryed looking for his post over there today i can't find it ;;they must of removed it.........stashko
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 10:30:07 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #598 on: November 24, 2007, 12:49:42 AM »

What do you mean "worse" with the Muslim posters?

I mean that the Muslim posters are treated poorly. At least in the EC forum, people still respected one another and there were fewer snide remarks and baseless attacks. Everyone seemed to have a close relationship despite disagreements and were willing to discuss...One may disagree with Islamic teachings, but to blindly and carelessly curse their prophet and uncharitably call Islam a religion of terror that rejects God is both rude and ungodly. I can't imagine wanting to be a Christian after being attacked the way some have been. I know for a fact that many Muslims on Islamic forums are reluctant to post on CAF because they know how unfairly others have been treated.

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #599 on: November 24, 2007, 12:52:57 AM »

Thats so true ..the moderators very rarely intervened if at all in the R.C. moslem discussions .They let the Catholic posters have afield day insulting the prophet of islam also in the mormon /R.C. discussions ..i actually complained to the moderators about that once nothing was done about it ...what iv noticed, if the some of the catholics are losing a debate they turn to insults....yesterday there was a discussion by a very educated evangelical protestant about the pope his office his succession not of peter but of paul and the imaculate conception of mary ,this guy was so good to point the error from scripture and the early church fathers very cool and calmly that scripture and the holy fathers proved that there wasn't anything as a pope or a pope with supreme powers and that mother mary was born like you and i ...he was so good only one catholic or two tryed to debate with him the other catholics were insulting him ...i tryed looking for his post over there today i can't find it ;;they must of removed it.........stashko

I think I'll head over and look for it...

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #600 on: November 24, 2007, 03:09:29 AM »

I have a real pain in my heart for the Eastern Catholics on CAF.

I see that "East and West" has started a thread "Debate on Essence and Energies" but he is not looking for a debate but an opportunity to ridicule Eastern Catholic theology.  This is obvious in his last posting in the thread.  The Eastern Catholics have to endure being trashed even in the new Forum which is devoted to them!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 03:17:17 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #601 on: November 24, 2007, 03:29:08 AM »

I see that "East and West" has started a thread "Debate on Essence and Energies" but he is not looking for a debate but an opportunity to ridicule Eastern Catholic theology.  This is obvious in his last posting in the thread.  The Eastern Catholics have to endure being trashed even in the new Forum which is devoted to them!

There was one post in another thread where he went so far as to equate the essence/energies idea with ditheism. It's a shame because he claims to be an Eastern Catholic. I think it was at that point that I decided it's really not worth reading anymore.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 03:36:29 AM by wynd » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #602 on: November 24, 2007, 04:09:18 AM »

RESIZING  AVATARS:
A lot of Avatars are just a little bit too wide and have that annoying sliding bar at the bottom.

Here's how to fix that with the help of Image Shack.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13523.msg187364.html#msg187364

Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #603 on: November 24, 2007, 04:16:28 AM »

There was one post in another thread where he went so far as to equate the essence/energies idea with ditheism. It's a shame because he claims to be an Eastern Catholic. I think it was at that point that I decided it's really not worth reading anymore.

Oh yeah! That's the one I started to post in and then quickly gave up... Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 04:17:54 AM by Alexius » Logged

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #604 on: November 24, 2007, 08:15:13 AM »

well well well  Grin Grin Grin

Irish Melkite has just made 2 wonderful posts on a certain Forum Smiley

You will find them on page 2 of a thread about  "A historical explanation of how things came to be "

He even brings up the matter of a certain meeting referenced in Reply 580 [ written by the Irish Hermit ] in this thread

I have to say I wonder how long these will last in their original unedited form. Undecided

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #605 on: November 24, 2007, 08:19:27 AM »

It will indeed be interesting to see if the posts - and me - survive  Roll Eyes

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #606 on: November 24, 2007, 08:33:52 AM »

He even brings up the matter of a certain meeting referenced in Reply 580 [ written by the Irish Hermit ] in this thread
On two occasions Patriarch Bartholomew has participated in a limited way in the Liturgy of the Word at a Mass celebrated by Pope John Paul II. The Patriarch has attended Mass, NOT vested in eucharistic vestments but simply in his bishop's mandyas which is worn by non-celebrating bishops at any liturgical service.  His deacon has read the Gospel in Greek and a Latin deacon in Latin. He also offered some prayer during the Liturgy of the Word; after that he has retired to the side and sat down for the rest of the Mass. He has taken no part in the actual Eucharist and nor has he partaken of communion. This is a far cry from concelebration of the Eucharist as claimed by the Catholic Answers article.

Somewhere on the Web there are photos of these occasions.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:35:41 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #607 on: November 24, 2007, 09:06:33 AM »

Catherine Grant wrote: Any member who publicly posts on the issue again will be banned.
Now isn't it the oddest thing that I have signed up twice in the last 36 hours and asked to have Banned shown under my name and yet Catherine Grant will not do this.

She prefers to continue to promulgate the lie that I am not banned. What price truth?
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #608 on: November 24, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »

Now in fairness [ I can't believe I'm saying this  Roll Eyes Shocked ] She didn't say that the label would be there for all to see .

She just said they would be banned

- St. John Maximovitch
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #609 on: November 24, 2007, 09:29:41 AM »

Although I have decided to refrain from posting at the Latinized Eastern Catholic forum at CAF, I commend Irish Melkite for his wonderful posts there (especially the two recently mentioned in this thread).

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #610 on: November 24, 2007, 11:32:13 AM »

Now isn't it the oddest thing that I have signed up twice in the last 36 hours and asked to have Banned shown under my name and yet Catherine Grant will not do this.

She prefers to continue to promulgate the lie that I am not banned. What price truth?

Father, in America, the practice of publicly labeling violators of social convention (cf. The Scarlet Letter's bright red "A") died out with the Puritans. Now, we just do it secretly. Wink

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #611 on: November 24, 2007, 12:29:42 PM »

Now in fairness [ I can't believe I'm saying this  Roll Eyes Shocked ] She didn't say that the label would be there for all to see .

She just said they would be banned

So why does she break from convention to NOT list reasons for one not being able to post?   I have not seen this done at any other time.  This is a first.
paradoxy
Married Hermit

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox

"Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds."

« Reply #612 on: November 24, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »

Has anyone tried Googling old EC threads lately? They don't seem to be there anymore...

And when He knew for certain
Only drowning men could see Him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"

Leonard Cohen
yeshua

Faith: Syriac-Maronite

« Reply #613 on: November 24, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »

I believe the creation of the thread was my fault...

The thread is a split off from another where "East and West" made a terrible remark defacing the Eastern distinction. I flagged it and told Catherine it was offensive and an appropriate action be taken against this often polemical poster.

She apparently made a new thread for his attack, and replied to me that it had been handled. I just responded to her in kind:

Catherine,

I appreciate that you took some action, but my offense (and others) did not come from a derailed thread but from a poster who blatantly disregarded a belief of Byzantine Catholics and insulted it.

This is another stark example of this forum is now a hunting grounds against Eastern belief, and I know that is not your intent. Why is it acceptable for a Latin Catholic to call an Eastern belief un-Christian and a saint of the Eastern Catholics someone no better than Martin Luther?

"East and West" the poster is polemical and offensive, I would humbly request some appropriate action be taken besides allowing him his own thread to denounce an Eastern Catholic tradition.

Peace and God Bless.

We will see how it fairs...

Peace and God Bless!
yeshua

« Reply #614 on: November 24, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »

But, I am still undecided as to whether there exists something from which to repent.

Magic,

The current treatment of your fellow Eastern and Oriental Catholics should be reason enough.

I believe CAF realized how bad their actions originally were and subsequently compensated. They even had Michael banned in the beginning, it was all a political move. If CAF was concerned about ridding the Catholic-Orthodox feud once and for all, and making it a lesson, they surely would have flown the "banned" banner on the "offenders," or at least removed them all together as they did our collection of threads.

Please also note that none of the Latin Catholics who were equally as volatile, and often the instigators, were banned.

Peace and God Bless.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #615 on: November 24, 2007, 04:06:33 PM »

I mean that the Muslim posters are treated poorly. At least in the EC forum, people still respected one another and there were fewer snide remarks and baseless attacks. Everyone seemed to have a close relationship despite disagreements and were willing to discuss...One may disagree with Islamic teachings, but to blindly and carelessly curse their prophet and uncharitably call Islam a religion of terror that rejects God is both rude and ungodly. I can't imagine wanting to be a Christian after being attacked the way some have been. I know for a fact that many Muslims on Islamic forums are reluctant to post on CAF because they know how unfairly others have been treated.

I don't know.  It might be experience under/with the muslims, and also seeing what is put on some ultra fundamentalist Protestant sites, that the stuff on CAF seemed tame.

Once, when I saw a muslim (ahmadi) link to one of those Protestant sites on Catholicism, I posted that he might want to see what the same site said on Islam, but watch out as "those people play rough."

One thing: on EC there was/is a lot in common to respect.  That's not the case on NCR.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #616 on: November 24, 2007, 04:24:49 PM »

Magic,

The current treatment of your fellow Eastern and Oriental Catholics should be reason enough.

I believe CAF realized how bad their actions originally were and subsequently compensated. They even had Michael banned in the beginning, it was all a political move. If CAF was concerned about ridding the Catholic-Orthodox feud once and for all, and making it a lesson, they surely would have flown the "banned" banner on the "offenders," or at least removed them all together as they did our collection of threads.

Please also note that none of the Latin Catholics who were equally as volatile, and often the instigators, were banned.

Peace and God Bless.

Yes, I've just taken a peak, and I see that Hesychios is back. He pointed out, when the question came to "Eastern Catholic History" that that included the pre-union Orthodox, and thus that should be covered, according to the rules that the mods set up, in Non Catholic Religion.  Evidently they don't like consistency.

Except when it comes to uniformity. Yeshua, I'm glad to see you come to the aid of the Hesychists, since you being a Maronite, you don't have a dog in that fight, just looking out for your fellow Easterners. I see that Jimmy also is doing so (even, as he admits, he doesn't personally like the essence/energies distinction terminology).  I'm afraid your assessment of the situation is accurate.  The inquisiton lives.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 04:55:16 PM by ialmisry » Logged

yeshua

« Reply #617 on: November 24, 2007, 04:55:14 PM »

Except when it comes to uniformity. Yeshua, I'm glad to see you come to the aid of the Hesychists, since you being a Maronite, you don't have a dog in that fight, just looking out for your fellow Easterners.  I'm afraid your assessment of the situation is accurate.  The inquisiton lives.

I had a (hopefully) productive chat with Catherine over PM. She expressed her concern in not knowing how to handle people calling particular beliefs heretical, and since it happens in the Non-Cath and Apologist forums, the Eastern Catholics should be able to hold their own. This was my response:

I agree Eastern Catholics should be able to defend their beliefs in a discussion, but when labels of "heretic" are thrown around, Catholicity doubted, and downright insulting phrases (like East and West's ubiquitous posts that I have been addressing) we cross the realm of debate and go into sheer attacks that resemble nothing of Christian charity. If someone brings up valid questions and concerns over a belief, say for instance my own irk about purgatory, I believe it is appropriate for me to present what I was taught as a Maronite and then present tradition that supports it. The minute I start calling St. Aquinas a heretic, non-Christian, and that he is no better than Martin Luther, I have crossed the line, and your [being Catherine] position comes into play. The failure of the last forum was that this line was crossed by both sides, and no action was taken.

Even though Hesychasm isn't a part of where I come from, even so far to where Jimmy and I have our own reservations, it doesn't allow others to come in and suddenly make outcries and labels that are not debatably sound and outright insulting.

Peace and God Bless!
Joab Anias

Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #618 on: November 24, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »

A beautiful word for your first post in the Forum.

Peace to you too, dear Joab.

Fr Ambrose (aka Irish Hermit)

I just got banned from CA for mentioning the name change of the old thread! I didn't even realize I was messing up! Arrgh.

So now I know how you all feel. Bummer!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 05:34:23 PM by Joab Anias » Logged
BigFatGreekDaddy
Holy Unmerceneries Pray for us

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #619 on: November 24, 2007, 05:53:02 PM »

If the (CAF) is really the most read catholic board, it is an amazing thing that they do treat all things Eastern with such contempt now.
They could have simply dissolved the entire subforum, and simply moved all things Eastern to another more generic forum.

Instead, new forum, simply serves to not only showcase disinformation on Eastern Christianity, but to visibly demonstrate what abhorrence that these catholics have for the truth held in the East.  All without giving us an opportunity to defend ourselves, or even give a modicum of hackamore to the Latin hate machine.

These new moderators are prime examples of why the RCC has been distrusted in the East for a 1,000 years.
It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Bile must be the gravy best served up with these Latin propagandists.

Yum Tongue

You have the sickness.
The cure is in the Holy Orthodox Church.
Paradosis

« Reply #620 on: November 24, 2007, 06:51:23 PM »

I just got banned from CA for mentioning the name change of the old thread! I didn't even realize I was messing up! Arrgh.

They banned you?  I'm really surprised at the actions of CAF.  I'm glad you've joined us here, though!  Smiley

God bless,

Adam (ForeverAdam) 
yeshua

« Reply #621 on: November 24, 2007, 07:07:21 PM »

I believe you also got banned due to complaints made by some of the Eastern and Oriental Catholic posters.

Peace and God Bless!
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #622 on: November 24, 2007, 07:24:34 PM »

Welcome Joab. 

I notice that they DID put banned under your name right away.  I guess you are so wicked (LOL) that your don't merit the courtesy that we are told is extended to Fr. Ambrose et alia on why they do not appear as banned.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #623 on: November 24, 2007, 07:27:35 PM »

If the (CAF) is really the most read catholic board, it is an amazing thing that they do treat all things Eastern with such contempt now.
They could have simply dissolved the entire subforum, and simply moved all things Eastern to another more generic forum.

Instead, new forum, simply serves to not only showcase disinformation on Eastern Christianity, but to visibly demonstrate what abhorrence that these catholics have for the truth held in the East.  All without giving us an opportunity to defend ourselves, or even give a modicum of hackamore to the Latin hate machine.

These new moderators are prime examples of why the RCC has been distrusted in the East for a 1,000 years.
It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Bile must be the gravy best served up with these Latin propagandists.

Yum Tongue

I noticed that someone posted on how the forum change was better and those who were interested only is schism don't post know because they're conscience doesn't allow it (written in derision).  No mention of those who were banned but whose profiles don't show it.

Joab Anias

« Reply #624 on: November 24, 2007, 07:54:18 PM »

I believe you also got banned due to complaints made by some of the Eastern and Oriental Catholic posters.

Peace and God Bless!

Why would they complain when I agree with them?
Joab Anias

« Reply #625 on: November 24, 2007, 07:57:35 PM »

I noticed that someone posted on how the forum change was better and those who were interested only is schism don't post know because they're conscience doesn't allow it (written in derision).  No mention of those who were banned but whose profiles don't show it.

I think that was me and what I got banned for because I believe it violated a new rule the mod made on Thanksgiving day that I failed to heed I guess. I never did know when to shut up. That part was edited out though.
Joab Anias

« Reply #626 on: November 24, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »

Welcome Joab. 

I notice that they DID put banned under your name right away.  I guess you are so wicked (LOL) that your don't merit the courtesy that we are told is extended to Fr. Ambrose et alia on why they do not appear as banned.

They sure did. No warning either. I was shocked because I didn't realize I had broken the "no mention of the old thread rule". 
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #627 on: November 24, 2007, 08:02:56 PM »

I've joined the banned ones

<<Your account has been locked for the following reason:
Sock Puppetry

This change will be lifted: Never>>

- St. John Maximovitch
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #628 on: November 24, 2007, 08:09:49 PM »

I've joined the banned ones

<<Your account has been locked for the following reason:
Sock Puppetry

This change will be lifted: Never>>

What's sock puppetry?

Joab Anias

« Reply #629 on: November 24, 2007, 08:15:41 PM »

They banned you?  I'm really surprised at the actions of CAF.  I'm glad you've joined us here, though!  Smiley

God bless,

Adam (ForeverAdam) 

Yes they did. I guess I deserved it because I unwittingly broke a rule that was bannable. Seems the new moderator isn't fooling around. I had read it too just yesterday and even saw mention of it here.

This was at the end of post I made trying to answer anothers question as to the history of Eastern Catholics:

In fact, when this thread was called Eastern Christianity such discord was widely sewn in this thread. Since the change for the better name (Eastern Catholic) those who professed Catholics as heretics left in protest claiming to not be able to remain here in good conscience. They could find no purpose without a schismatic agenda to propagate.

I guess I deserved it. I'm an idiot! Thats what I get for being a curmudeon. I am sorry.  Sad

I also wrote that it seemed apparent that because of Orthodox inactivity you all apparently weren't interested in unity.

This was before I knew you were all banned and it wasn't showing though. I am sorry for that as well.

I hope you all can forgive me and if not I understand.

Peace.
Tags: Catholic Answers Forum CAF Reunion CAF 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: