OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 04:04:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion  (Read 275349 times) Average Rating: 0
Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2007, 11:33:18 PM »

I see that all the former EC posters, including Catholics are now coming to post over here.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2007, 11:37:12 PM »

I can tell you that StMarkEofE was one of the first to get banned forever. I know this first hand.

JoeS(StMarkEofE)

I never knew you were the same fellow. I was always impressed with your 'work' over there.

Funny thing for me...I only joined there a couple years ago at the request of a member here who wanted some backup over there for our use of "Orthodox Catholic" nomenclature.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Catholig

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2007, 11:45:16 PM »

Hey Everyone, I post over at CAF, but came over here from a link on the new Eastern Catholicism forum. I just wanted to suggest - since I never was part of the thing at the Eastern Christianity forum that it would be interesting to post some thread similar to those (with the exception of any personal attacks) on here. I would be interested in seeing these apologetic arguments that are so powerful that no Latin could answer them.

Catholig
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2007, 11:59:13 PM »

"A" thread? <chuckle>

Take a few 'minutes' and peruse the 'Orthodox-Catholic Discussion' boards here. You'll find plenty; IIRC, the "Thou Art Peter' thread was a quite memorable.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2007, 12:09:35 AM »

Now we are the ones going out on a limb entering the 'enemy' territory.  Smiley

The limb is strong, and the enemies don't shoot (well, at least the sane ones don't shoot much)... Cheesy

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2007, 12:36:38 AM »

So many excellent posts.

Three years of Fr Ambrose's answers.

Barbarians.

I'm so sad.

And if I remember correctly, Fr Ambrose had 18,997 posts. Closing down the EC forum was simply a diversionary tactic to the real motive: preventing Fr Ambrose from reaching 19,000 posts! Grin

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2007, 12:37:41 AM »

I'm one of those who were banned from CAF. No explantion was given and the ban is permanent.

Perhaps I can find a new home here......

Your unworthy servant
Paisius

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2007, 12:45:24 AM »

Just to be brief for starters:

Obadiah, my post in the ECath forum saying I was glad to see you back is the only one I'm posting there (though I can't say I was totally happy with the going out with a blaze you did).  Glad to have you back.

Yes, I'm still around on CAF, but I will only post in Apologetics or Non-Catholic [sic] Religions.

Glad, and touched, that not only Easterners (Yashua and Jimmy continue the good fight on the replacement forum) under Rome, but also Latins have come here.  I for one won't be sawing their limb off.

When I first started posting at CAF (a mere three months ago) I got a PM, to a PM I sent to a posting about how liberal the Latins were in contrast to the Orthodox:

"I'm not sure I remember the site address, but I think it's orthdoxchristianity.net. Moreover, they were not so bold as to make what I said a public policy, but it was the way the moderator handled the forum.

On that forum if a Catholic was thinking of converting to Orthodoxy, a Catholic was not permitted to argue against it, but the Orthodox were allowed to encourage it. On the Catholic Answers forum both sides may speak in such instances.

At one point I was told by the moderator that if I wanted to state my views regarding doctrine that I was required to preface it with a phrase like "in my opinion." There was no such requirement for Orthodox posters.

Moreover, while the Catholic posters were required to walk on eggshells, the Orthodox posters were permitted to be as rude as they wanted to be; and some of them (not all, by any means) took full advantage of that, even to the point of name-calling.

I stopped going there after awhile."

I guess we have to prove them wrong.  Pure gold fears no fire.

I saw some posting that Fr. Ambrose was here, but posting under another name.  Father?

Yes, it seems Winston Smith of the Congregation of Truth is the new moderator.  police If you just started a day ago, you would not have known about the non-Forum.

I was in the midst of posting when the ax fell.  I am REALLY bummed on the disappearance of the EC threads even from archives.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2007, 12:46:40 AM »

And if I remember correctly, Fr Ambrose had 18,997 posts. Closing down the EC forum was simply a diversionary tactic to the real motive: preventing Fr Ambrose from reaching 19,000 posts! Grin
how many years did it take to make that many posts?
that's alot!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 12:48:25 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2007, 12:57:58 AM »

I can tell you that StMarkEofE was one of the first to get banned forever. I know this first hand.

JoeS(StMarkEofE)

Ok... are most of the orthodox from catholic answers forum keeping there names from there,and transfering them here so we dont lose track of each other...by not recognizing them by the new names,,  like for instants you  as joeS  ...just a thought...stashko : police
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:14:12 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2007, 01:00:15 AM »

When I first started posting at CAF (a mere three months ago) I got a PM, to a PM I sent to a posting about how liberal the Latins were in contrast to the Orthodox:

"I'm not sure I remember the site address, but I think it's orthdoxchristianity.net. Moreover, they were not so bold as to make what I said a public policy, but it was the way the moderator handled the forum.

On that forum if a Catholic was thinking of converting to Orthodoxy, a Catholic was not permitted to argue against it, but the Orthodox were allowed to encourage it. On the Catholic Answers forum both sides may speak in such instances.

At one point I was told by the moderator that if I wanted to state my views regarding doctrine that I was required to preface it with a phrase like 'in my opinion.' There was no such requirement for Orthodox posters.

Moreover, while the Catholic posters were required to walk on eggshells, the Orthodox posters were permitted to be as rude as they wanted to be; and some of them (not all, by any means) took full advantage of that, even to the point of name-calling.

I think I know full well the online name of the poster who sent you this PM.  Please don't take his word to be truly representative of how we treat RC posters on this forum, for much of what he related to you was really how we responded to his posts specifically.

I guess we have to prove them wrong.  Pure gold fears no fire.
Well, I hope you can see that my fellow Admins/Moderators and I are committed to fostering an environment for respectful discussion of even those issues that are certain to arouse disagreement, recognizing as you do that "pure gold fears no fire".

- PeterTheAleut

Post edited by author to delete inaccurate statement.  I'm thinking now that I spoke of a different poster who no longer posts here.  - PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 02:33:32 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2007, 01:02:09 AM »

Now we are the ones going out on a limb entering the 'enemy' territory.  Smiley
That's what I don't understand. Of course it's nice to have an opportunity to talk about specifically Orthodox issues with other Orthodox Christians but I've always gotten the most enjoyment from talking with Christians from traditions other than my own. And for some reason the group that stimulates Wink me the most is Roman Catholics.

Maybe some of our Roman Catholic friends will join us here?

Yours in Christ
Paisius

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2007, 01:09:22 AM »

At one point I was told by the moderator that if I wanted to state my views regarding doctrine that I was required to preface it with a phrase like "in my opinion." There was no such requirement for Orthodox posters.

It's too bad that this perception exists about our forum.  I guess you are right that we will all have to prove this wrong.  This is especially so if we want more of our Roman Catholic friends to join us here for stimulating dialogue.  

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2007, 01:09:34 AM »

Hey Everyone, I post over at CAF, but came over here from a link on the new Eastern Catholicism forum. I just wanted to suggest - since I never was part of the thing at the Eastern Christianity forum that it would be interesting to post some thread similar to those (with the exception of any personal attacks) on here. I would be interested in seeing these apologetic arguments that are so powerful that no Latin could answer them.

Catholig

Im hoping I state this clearly:

It was my experience there that when I gave an answer to a question it wasnt taken as an explanation to our faith so much as a challenge to the questioner. Answering questions on a Catholic website by Orthodox can sometimes come across as being too anachronistic vs. being relevant in this modern world.

Unfortunately, the moderator found it necessary to purge not just the posters but the posters archived files of which layed much valuable information that had taken much time to compile. Now that is all down the toilet.  All this may have to be built up again, maybe not.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2007, 01:15:00 AM »

Unfortunately, the moderator found it necessary to purge not just the posters but the posters archived files of which layed much valuable information that had taken much time to compile. Now that is all down the toilet.  All this may have to be built up again, maybe not.
It is too bad. I had several posts and threads bookmarked because of the wonderful information they contained. Now it's gone. At least I had the foresight to copy some of it to disk first.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2007, 01:16:24 AM »

It's too bad that this perception exists about our forum.  I guess you are right that we will all have to prove this wrong.  This is especially so if we want more of our Roman Catholic friends to join us here for stimulating dialogue.  

Funny, I got entirely the opposite impression on CAF. The Romans were given a lot of latitude in some of their diatribes against Orthodox posters.  I know one thing for sure, Orthodox posters go more warnings than their counterparts.  I was suspended more than three times, and Im considered one of the milder posters. I bent over backwards not to bring personalities into the fray, but I again state that answers were not taken as answers so much as challenges.

But, all in all, Im more than happy being back in more friendlier territory.

JoeS
Jimmy
Maronite

« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2007, 01:17:50 AM »

I saw some posting that Fr. Ambrose was here, but posting under another name.  Father?

ialmisry, when I said that I miss-spoke.  Fr hasn't been posting here.  I am hoping that he will come here.
Jo Ann

« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2007, 01:18:21 AM »

I miss you all so much and was so happy to find most of here.  I was "lurking" at CAF for almost a year while discerning Holy Orthodoxy.  Actually, it was an article in This Rockmagazine which lead me study and learn about Eastern Orthodoxy.  I was a very happy Latin with no problems in my church.  The more I read, the more uncomfortable RC seemed.  So, in a way, CAF was very instrumental in helping my husband and I make this change.  We have 5 children attending a very traditional Roman Catholic school grades K5 thru 9.  The road will be difficult, but worth every step!  My SSPX and Opus Dei friends are confused at our change, but trying to understand.

I am glad to have found you all again.  I probably will not post much... it is just so nice to be here!

Glory to God!

Jo Ann
Jimmy
Maronite

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2007, 01:19:54 AM »

Funny, I got entirely the opposite impression on CAF. The Romans were given a lot of latitude in some of their diatribes against Orthodox posters.  I know one thing for sure, Orthodox posters go more warnings than their counterparts.  I was suspended more than three times, and Im considered one of the milder posters. I bent over backwards not to bring personalities into the fray, but I again state that answers were not taken as answers so much as challenges.

But, all in all, Im more than happy being back in more friendlier territory.

JoeS

May I ask who you were on CAF?  From the little statement bellow your picture I would guess St.MarkEofE.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2007, 01:26:56 AM »

But what about BOB ? Has he been left behind ? Oh my...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2007, 01:27:50 AM »

Continuing my most recent previous post on this thread:

Just a friendly moderatorial caution that, even though we Orthodox posters here do speak openly our criticisms of Roman Catholic faith and praxis, the use of the pseudonym "Latins" in reference to Latin-Rite Catholics has taken on a pejorative meaning that we find unacceptable here.  Therefore, out of respect for our Catholic posters, we ask that posters not refer to them as "Latins".  Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

Otherwise, I offer yet another big, hearty welcome from the Admin/Moderator team to the flood of new posters seeking refuge here from the recent shakedown at CAF.  I will do my part to make sure your time here is positive and edifying. Smiley

- PeterTheAleut
Faith Issues Section Moderator
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:31:34 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2007, 01:29:54 AM »

May I ask who you were on CAF?  From the little statement bellow your picture I would guess St.MarkEofE.

Your guess is correct.  I just hate to loose those 4,400+ posts because they had some good info on them.

JoeS
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2007, 01:30:57 AM »

But what about BOB ? Has he been left behind ? Oh my...

Which Bob are you referring to?

JoeS
Jimmy
Maronite

« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2007, 01:33:28 AM »

Your guess is correct.  I just hate to loose those 4,400+ posts because they had some good info on them.

JoeS

Yes, there was a great deal of information that I would like to have.

Peter, I like your signature, 'truth is often in the paradox'.  That is how my tradition views things.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2007, 01:50:06 AM »

I was referring to Orthodoc...

I have no problem with the majority of labels/terms using the word Latin...it's the majority of the American Catholic's who have a problem with it.

I have aquired Rhino Skin over these many years...

james

though papalist tweeks me abit  Wink

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2007, 01:55:39 AM »

Papalist is 'out' too, I'm afraid.

And I think Orthodoc is angry because he can't use the "U-word" here.

{I didn't know libations caused tough hide}
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:56:33 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2007, 01:56:08 AM »

Just a friendly moderatorial caution that, even though we Orthodox posters here do speak openly our criticisms of Roman Catholic faith and praxis, the use of the pseudonym "Latins" in reference to Latin-Rite Catholics has taken on a pejorative meaning that we find unacceptable here.  Therefore, out of respect for our Catholic posters, we ask that posters not refer to them as "Latins".  Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

I frankly find this way too politically correct.  I don't even get it.  To me, it's like saying we can't call the Orthodox Church "the Greek Church" because people might find it pejorative.  For the longest time scholars have used the terms "the Latin Church" or "Latins" to refer to the Catholic West or "the Greek Church" or "Greeks" (particularly in terms of Mediterranean situations) when referring to the Orthodox East, especially when contrasting the two ecclesial bodies.  IMHO it's just too bad if people find the terms pejorative, and if people are using it/them in a way that is designed to put people down, that's simply ignorant.  In previous posts (not recently), I have often made references to "the Latin Church," with no intention to put down Catholics.  Not being able to use these terms can make discourse more unwieldy at times.  Since the moderators have made the decision not to use these/this term(s), I will endeavor to not use them again, but I think that this point had to be made.

James
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:59:30 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2007, 01:56:45 AM »

I was referring to Orthodoc...

I have no problem with the majority of labels/terms using the word Latin...it's the majority of the American Catholic's who have a problem with it.

I have aquired Rhino Skin over these many years...

james

though papalist tweeks me abit  Wink
Which explains our intolerance of the derogatory names "Papist" or "Papalist" (except in reference to a specific poster here who actually calls himself Papist), as well. police
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2007, 01:58:47 AM »

Well, James, we do have a number of Eastern Catholic members who bristle at "Latins".

I make no further comment, personally.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2007, 02:00:42 AM »

I frankly find this way too politically correct.  I don't even get it.  To me, it's like saying we can't call the Orthodox Church "the Greek Church" because people might find it pejorative.  For the longest time scholars have used the terms "the Latin Church" or "Latins" to refer to the Catholic West or "the Greek Church" or "Greeks" (particularly in terms of Mediterranean situations) when referring to the Orthodox East, especially when contrasting the two ecclesial bodies.  IMHO it's just too bad if people find the terms pejorative, and if people are using it/them in a way that is designed to put people down, that's simply ignorant.  In previous posts (not recently), I have often made references to "the Latin Church," with no intention to put down Catholics.  Not being able to use these terms can make discourse more unwieldy at times.  You will hear no more from me about this in future since the moderators have made this decision and I will endeavor to not use these terms again, but I think that this point had to be made.

James
Actually, I believe our concern is not with any reference to the RC Churches of the Latin Rite as the "Latin Church", since this is often used in academic literature, IIRC.  We're primarily concerned with any application of the term "Latins" to individual Catholics, since many do use this in an intentionally insulting manner.
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2007, 02:05:20 AM »

I was sorry to see the closing of the Eastern Christianity forum at CAF.  

Almost all of my posts have been deleted.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »

I was sorry to see the closing of the Eastern Christianity forum at CAF. 

Almost all of my posts have been deleted.
Nice to see you here Apotheoun. I always liked your posts.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2007, 02:09:12 AM »

Actually, I believe our concern is not with any reference to the RC Churches of the Latin Rite as the "Latin Church", since this is often used in academic literature, IIRC.  We're primarily concerned with any application of the term "Latins" to individual Catholics, since many do use this in an intentionally insulting manner.

Well, okay.....I guess this makes sense.  I suppose it is usually quite easy to know where to draw the line in this case.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2007, 02:10:38 AM »

Nice to see you here Apotheoun. I always liked your posts.
Thanks.   

Smiley

St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2007, 02:26:54 AM »

Hey everyone! I forget I had opened an account on here some time ago, but seeing as CAF has just about banned the Orthodox, I figured I'd see people here...

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius Cool

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2007, 02:30:39 AM »

I don't understand what happened, though. One minute I'm reading and replying to posts and the next I'm being archieved! It's one thing to warn people, but to just close it on a whim--I don't know...

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius Cool

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2007, 02:43:45 AM »

I don't understand what happened, though. One minute I'm reading and replying to posts and the next I'm being archieved! It's one thing to warn people, but to just close it on a whim--I don't know...

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius Cool
And the next minute you're being deleted.

It's their board and they can do what they want with it, including ban people who (whether intentionally or not) convert people away from the RCC. But I still don't like it.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2007, 03:02:49 AM »

ialmisry, when I said that I miss-spoke.  Fr hasn't been posting here.  I am hoping that he will come here.

Brother jimmy and Brother Isa...
 Father Ambrose e-mailed me ,,asked if i was banned ,i said yes i was..i e-mailed back told i'll be here on orthodox christiany. net..he probable knows were almost all here....stashko Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Alexius

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2007, 03:18:46 AM »

And the next minute you're being deleted.

It's their board and they can do what they want with it, including ban people who (whether intentionally or not) convert people away from the RCC. But I still don't like it.

It's a shame, really. I'm not banned, but that's because I'm Catholic. I've always said that I'm in more agreement with the Orthodox than the Latin church and just the other day, I got asked why I'm not Orthodox then. Probably because I haven't had the chance, yet. It will happen, though. I have already alerted my parents who have mixed feelings (they're evangelicals) that I will become Orthodox.

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius Cool

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2007, 04:37:52 AM »

Sad to say, but the new Eastern Catholicism forum appears to be designed to force Eastern Catholics -- like me -- to conform to Latin doctrinal formulations.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2007, 05:53:44 AM »

Thanks.   

Smiley
I want to second wynd's impression. Your postings, Apotheoun, were so edifying to me.

Many, many so informative posts - not only from the Orthodox posters headed by Fr Ambrose, Isa Almisry, Heracliades, Hesychios, Orthodoc, Reader Arsenios, StMarkofE, Montalban, ICXC NIKA, but also of RC and U-(forbidden - I'm really puzzled why) - Apotheoun being the first "among equals", Ghosty, Mardukm, Catholig, and many, many others.

A real treasury deleted!

Why? These posts were not showing only the Orthodox "upper hand"! For Christ sake, I got not only better understanding of our differencies there, but better appreciation, for instance, of Thomas Aquinas, who is now more acceptable to me in religious terms than he used to be! (Reader Arsenios and Ghosty should be credited for that specific topic.) And so many quotations and links in context about so many issues. A treasury!

Occasional fire was mostly the consequence of misperception, ignorance of otherone's attitude and priorities and quite rarely of ill intentions, at least that's my impression.

My account hasn't been suspended there, but it was requested I change password. I wanted to check PM there - what's the point of writing for a trash can?

There is no better learning method than reading polemics, and participating in them. And so many fine reasonings - all deleted. I'm so sad.

But I'm glad I see all and each one of present CAF posters here.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2007, 08:33:05 AM »

I notice that you are Armenian.  A frequent complaint I had on ECF (of course, it wasn't their fault) was that the number of non-Chalcedonians Orthodox was nearly non-existent. In fact, I think we only had a few Copts and Syriacs who had submitted to Rome. I always felt a little queasy speaking for the Copts, Mar Thoma, Armenians, etc., but I wanted make sure their views were heard too.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2007, 08:39:07 AM »

I miss you all so much and was so happy to find most of here.  I was "lurking" at CAF for almost a year while discerning Holy Orthodoxy.  Actually, it was an article in This Rockmagazine which lead me study and learn about Eastern Orthodoxy.  I was a very happy Latin with no problems in my church.  The more I read, the more uncomfortable RC seemed.  So, in a way, CAF was very instrumental in helping my husband and I make this change.  We have 5 children attending a very traditional Roman Catholic school grades K5 thru 9.  The road will be difficult, but worth every step!  My SSPX and Opus Dei friends are confused at our change, but trying to understand.

I am glad to have found you all again.  I probably will not post much... it is just so nice to be here!

Glory to God!

Jo Ann

Given that background, are you considering Western Rite?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2007, 08:46:47 AM »

Hey everyone! I forget I had opened an account on here some time ago, but seeing as CAF has just about banned the Orthodox, I figured I'd see people here...

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius Cool

Same here.

Btw I'd post on all of you, how much I enjoyed your posts, both Orthodox and those with Rome, but I'm afraid I would have to do so so often I'd be accused of bloating my posting number. Grin

paradoxy
Married Hermit

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox

"Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds."

« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2007, 08:51:47 AM »

Hey there!

Another Orthodox member of CAF here! I didn't get banned, because I never had anything too smart to contribute in the debate, so I guess I'm not dangerous.

So glad to see you all here!  Smiley I can't believe some of you got banned - whatever for? - and in such a secretive way!? This is very sad indeed. Sad

Danica in Serbia

And when He knew for certain
Only drowning men could see Him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"

Leonard Cohen
Tags: Catholic Answers Forum CAF Reunion CAF 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: