OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 05:29:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion  (Read 267092 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2007, 04:20:10 PM »

Using the word Poppycock doesn't make what you are saying true. The fact is that Joe, the moderator constantly allowed the EOs to say whatever they wanted without consequence, while punishing Catholics for defending the Catholic faith. You show your ignorance in that you will not even admitt this when it is blatant.

Now we need to be fair here.  There were a few on the Catholic side who got away a lot in polemics without the moderator getting on them as well.  No sense in beating ourselves up here but we as Orthodox Catholics had a dickens of a time answering questions about our faith and having someone, not all, but some come in a say that we were either proselytizing, evangelizing or using ad homonym remarks.  If an inquirer was interested in Orthodoxy all he had to do was to read the books that we posted and he or she could make up their own minds which direction they would want to go in.

The blame belongs on both sides. There was plenty of accusations to go around many times.

If you start a forum and include a forum section that would take an opposite view of what the Moderators would have, you have to know that there will be times in which the debate becomes a little warm.  I feel that the majority of Orthodox posters were courteous and respectful of the terms that they agreed to when they became members.  Much the same way here. We have a section where non-Orthodox Christians can exchange ideas, answers, and suggestions and hopefully if anyone is at a point that would jeopardize his or her good standing the moderator would give adequate warnings.  I'm sure this is the case here. I was perplexed about my requests for answers and was completely ignored with no explanation of why I was banned forever.

Just a simple answer to why we were left go would have been nice, that's all.

JoeS Embarrassed
Ziggernaut
Curmudgeon Extraordinaire

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2007, 04:28:29 PM »

Now we need to be fair here.  There were a few on the Catholic side who got away a lot in polemics without the moderator getting on them as well.  No sense in beating ourselves up here but we as Orthodox Catholics had a dickens of a time answering questions about our faith and having someone, not all, but some come in a say that we were either proselytizing, evangelizing or using ad homonym remarks.  If an inquirer was interested in Orthodoxy all he had to do was to read the books that we posted and he or she could make up their own minds which direction they would want to go in.

The blame belongs on both sides. There was plenty of accusations to go around many times.

If you start a forum and include a forum section that would take an opposite view of what the Moderators would have, you have to know that there will be times in which the debate becomes a little warm.  I feel that the majority of Orthodox posters were courteous and respectful of the terms that they agreed to when they became members.  Much the same way here. We have a section where non-Orthodox Christians can exchange ideas, answers, and suggestions and hopefully if anyone is at a point that would jeopardize his or her good standing the moderator would give adequate warnings.  I'm sure this is the case here. I was perplexed about my requests for answers and was completely ignored with no explanation of why I was banned forever.

Just a simple answer to why we were left go would have been nice, that's all.

JoeS Embarrassed

Well put, Joe!

Jeff

"Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it."  Augustine of Hippo
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2007, 04:39:23 PM »

The polemical discussion promulgated by pathofsolitude has been split into its own thread:

"Catholicism Bad, Orthodoxy Good, and other polemical assertions"
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13309.0.html

- Cleveland, Global Moderator

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2007, 04:52:52 PM »

Instead of appointing yourselves Grand Apologist and engaging in inter-Christian rat-a-tat-tat, why not pray and fast do some Lectio Divina? Do you think Christ is delighted by your focus on "proving" the other guy wrong? Is that what your faith is about? Humility---a virtue good to remember for all of us.

{Edited title} Αριστοκλής
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:00:45 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2007, 05:14:30 PM »

Instead of appointing yourselves Grand Apologist and engaging in inter-Christian rat-a-tat-tat, why not pray and fast do some Lectio Divina? Do you think Christ is delighted by your focus on "proving" the other guy wrong? Is that what your faith is about? Humility---a virtue good to remember for all of us.

{Edited title} Αριστοκλής

Funny thing, it wasnt an issue of who was right or wrong so much as whatever answer we gave it was seen as going overboard as far as the forum moderator was concerned.  We had to tow the line and we had to (in the final days) walk literally on eggs not to 'offend' even the most sensitive of posters there. And by offense I mean, those answers that were hard for the average Roman Catholic to answer.  We literally had to suppress our Orthodoxy to satisfy Romans so that we stay on the forum.  Well, I stated quite frankly that I felt like a puppet and to remain on this forum with my hands ties behind me wasnt going to work for me. So, the banning was in a way, a good thing vs. my embaracing my faith.

JoeS
Ziggernaut

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2007, 05:15:45 PM »

Huh

Joe beat me to it with his well-put (again!), reply.  (Hence this modification) 

Blessings,
Jeff
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:18:53 PM by Ziggernaut » Logged

"Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it."  Augustine of Hippo
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2007, 05:19:23 PM »

Huh

Chuckle...don't be dismayed, Ziggernaut, we have some RC's here, too. I knew lubeltri was itching to say somethingWink
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:22:17 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2007, 05:28:10 PM »

...They often descended to blatant bashing of the Catholic faith and did so without consequence.
There is a difference between answering an honest question honestly and bashing. I myself answered without hesitation many times about things I thought were heretical in RC teaching, but that was the only way to answer those questions, frankly and honestly. Some people were offended, but it was not bashing. Besides, there we were in an Eastern Christian section being asked what we thought of western Christian theology.

I believe that you may be now witnessing the same problem with some of your Eastern Catholic faithful as you had with Orthodox. They did not have to answer these direct questions before, because the Orthodox would be there to take them.

The theology is a bit different, and for most of the east the liturgy is reflective of that theology. Any eastern Catholic who follows a liturgy faithful to the tradition could have cognitive dissonance if they pay any attention at all. The liturgy does not support Latin theology.

Most (idealistic, I should add) Roman Catholics want to believe that there are two (or more, I suppose) valid expressions of just one Truth: the Latin expression and whatever else is in communion with Rome. Eastern Catholics are more or less expected to believe it (and Orthodox don’t believe it). But that concept reduces the expression (basically liturgical/devotional) to a superficiality, just a veneer of one thing over something else.

In other words, RC often make a point of emphasizing Rome’s concessions to the easterners, ALLOWING them their liturgy, and PERMITTING them to omit the Filioque. But what is implied is that they must be interiorly Latin, because all of the de Fide definitions are composed with a Latin understanding. It’s something difficult for RC to grasp, I think. Like a fish in water doesn’t realize it is in water, or we forget about gravity and the air we breathe…it is so ubiquitous we don’t really see it.

Eastern Christian MUST accept Latin theology as true, even if they themselves do not understand it, they must make a mental assent to it! The same is not expected of Latin Christians, they are not expected to make a mental assent to eastern theology even though Roma allows eastern churches to teach it as valid theology. Frequently, one will find Latin polemicists blowing in, attacking eastern theology. Theoretically they really cannot do that without attacking the official theology of the Papacy over all, but they feel very comfortable doing it.

All you need to do to verify this theology is accepted by Rome is to obtain a copy of eastern Catholic catechisms. There are several out there.

So this is the dilemma. For easterners the theology is treated like a superficiality. But when Eastern Catholics look at Latin theology as ALSO a superficiality, Latins get very upset, and the de Fide’s start rolling off the keyboards.
Catholics, on the other hand, who defended the Catholic faith well were often disciplined by the moderator.
I don’t doubt the vigorous defense of Catholics with a Latin understanding, I witnessed it, but from what I saw it was very often demeaning polemics rather than clever or accurate argumentation. Should I say ‘usually’ calculated to pick a fight? That seemed the usual to me.

But these same RC (mostly RC) were swamping the Eastern Catholics in their contention with the Orthodox. Eastern Catholics for the most part believe what Orthodox believe, except that they have this desire to be in communion with Rome. Essentially they have bought into the argument that it is preferable to be in communion with Rome, and are struggling to stay there, but the Latins (and like-minded) are making acceptance of Latin theological constructs a litmus test for their catholicity. They are not being respected for who they are and where they come from. By referencing Ott and setting that as the standard you are pushing them out. A lot of the moderation had to have this in mind.

I think the moderator by and large wanted to create a space for EC and Orthodox to come together, in the interests of the stated ecumenical aims of the late Pope JP II. I was present on the CAF forums when the concept was first floated and that was a strong argument at the time. On the other hand some (many) Latin’s were looking for a place to debate Orthodox (or discredit them, as rivals), and did not give a *hoot about bridge building between EC and OC. By concentrating all eastern topics in that one place it was like fish in a barrel: the EC were ghettoized to some extent, and the Orthodox were like the targets at a carnival shooting gallery. The attacks against the Orthodox and the Orthodox responses left the EC as an almost overlooked bunch. The moderator kept trying (as best as I can tell) to keep the dialogue with Orthodox open and protect the eastern theology (which, as I say, is valid per the RC church).

Ideally (from the RC point of view) the Catholic apologists should have been able to kick but in there. The fact that they did not cannot be blamed on the moderation, the moderator doesn’t compose posts.
To make matters worse, it had gotten to the point where Catholics were not allowed to articulate the CATHOLIC position that the EO Church is not Catholic in the full sense of the word.
I don’t doubt that this is the longstanding Roman Catholic position. It is not the position of most Eastern Catholic churches, who see their own origins and legitimacy in these same Orthodox churches. The (still living at the time) Pope John Paul II was reaching out to the east, and calling eastern Christians non-Catholic is a deep insult to their Faith. Let there be no mistake about it, Eastern Orthodox-Catholics do not want to be mistaken for Roman Catholics by any stretch of the imagination, but the Roman Catholic Church simply does not have the ability to close the canon on who the Orthodox are, it is not an exclusive club for Papists regardless of what anyone thinks. The moderator tried very hard to respect all points of view in the interest of open dialogue, I am sure that in high level dialogues with the Papacy the Orthodox can call themselves Catholic without a objection.

Theoretically you must admit (I hope) that if the Orthodox church was Catholic before the schism, and it has not changed, it is still Catholic by those same first millennium standards.
It was just strange that the Catholic position was censored and the EO position allowed to be freely expressed on a Catholic website.
I disagree, I don’t believe that to be the case at all, and I was a member there for years. You should provide examples of moderation that illustrates that. Perhaps you are identifying the Latin Catholic position with the ‘Catholic’ position.
Furthermore, there were threads that celebrated people's conversion away from the Catholic Church and to the EO churches.
That is unfortunate. I always tried to discourage that, to the point of sending PM’s. I even encouraged one person to pull down her post, if there was still time, but to no avail. Simple announcements are OK I think, but not long celebratory threads.

I felt it was inappropriate insofar as we were guests. The longtime posters would keep their responses muted but many of the newer (and I suppose, younger) posters went a little extreme in their happiness for the person. I sometimes wish the moderator had removed such threads or closed them quickly, but that might have simply brought more attention to the phenomena.

But the reality is that this openness generated a lot of goodwill for CAF and the Roman Catholic church as well. Perhaps that is hard to see from where you stand. I know a great many Protestants chose to become RC as well, even after lurking around the EC area, but the normal place to announce a conversion to Latin Christianity was elsewhere. It’s anyone’s guess as to whether this was ultimately a plus or a minus for CAF, but the financial contributors clearly were irked by it.

The fact that we were dialoging at the level we were for as long a time as we did was a great achievement I don’t think will be repeated any time soon.
From a Catholic perspective, these people were committing mortal sin and it was being celebrated.
That is only one of several possible conclusions one could arrive at from a ‘Catholic’ perspective.

Michael

*Minor word edit
We understand your hurt feelings over this apparent rough treatment but please temper your words as if you were in church.
Thanks,  Αριστοκλής

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:40:24 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Ziggernaut

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2007, 05:33:36 PM »

Chuckle...don't be dismayed, Ziggernaut, we have some RC's here, too. I knew lubeltri was itching to say somethingWink

Thanks!   Grin I wasn't really dismayed, just a little curious about where he's coming from.  Now I know.  I've nothing against, RC's.  Just don't want to be one, especially after coming home to Holy Orthodoxy from Byzantine Catholicism  Wink!

Blessings,
Jeff

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2007, 05:43:12 PM »

Thanks!   Grin I wasn't really dismayed, just a little curious about where he's coming from.  Now I know.  I've nothing against, RC's.  Just don't want to be one, especially after coming home to Holy Orthodoxy from Byzantine Catholicism  Wink!

Blessings,
Jeff

If any Catholics from that Eastern Christian forum/war zone had come over here, my comment would have been directed at them too.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:55:18 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged
Ziggernaut

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2007, 05:47:32 PM »

If any Catholics from that Eastern Christian forum/war zone had come over here, my comment would have been directed at them too.

Glad to hear it  Smiley!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:55:41 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

maqhth

Jurisdiction: Antioch

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2007, 12:31:12 AM »

I was formerly a regular participant on the Catholic Answers "Eastern Christianity" forum.  I was never proselytized there, but what I did learn from the Orthodox posters ultimately caused me to begin my own inquiry and let me to the Holy Orthodox church

This is a very unfortunate development.

That was the crux of their difficulty with us.  The answers from the EO's were so radiant and accurate that no proselytization was needed - Fr. Ambrose was getting convert after convert from Rome to the EOC, and there simply was NO effective counter - EVERY counter would get erased in such a good way that there was no come-back...  And they finally just decided that they were NOT paying money for their board to LOSE their faithful, and they got rid of the EOs...

And they did it ruthlessly, and dishonestly...  Normally, when someone is banned, the word banned shows up under their name - And 8 or so of us were banned...  BUT, the admin's did not want the RECORD TO SHOW that they had banned the EO posters, so they simply disabled our ability to post, and when we would try, we were told in a message pop-up that our posting priveleges were suspended, and would be reinstated/never.

Now by that means, when you look at anyone's name who is barred, it simply shows that they are a regular member, or in my case, a senior member, and no indication of impaired status, which is a lie...  The idea being to COVER UP their actions so as to protect themselves from the sense of fairness that normal RC posters [and any other decent human beings] would have - It would probably have caused a huge uproar to have let be known what they had done to the other Catholics there...

So they concealed their heinous deed behind lies and misrepresentations...  And in this, the true nature of the authoritarianism of their organization, the RCC, comes out...  Had a similar "problem" occurred on an Orthodox board, it would NOT have been concealed had they thrown the bums out, but in fact, better apologists would have been found to defend the Faith in the face of a successful onslaught - And if not forthcoming, maybe we would become Latinized!!  [Just kidding!]  And this indeed is what was happening there, and they had no other cure than what they did...  And by doing it, they damned themselves...

To me, it was an amazing event, and frees me up considerably for the work of our newly moved mission...

So...  Glory to God in ALL Things!

Reader Arsenios

Reader Arsenios

Watch what you do...
You may be the only Bible...
That some will ever read...
maqhth

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2007, 12:58:25 AM »

The fact is that Joe, the moderator constantly allowed the EOs to say whatever they wanted without consequence, while punishing Catholics for defending the Catholic faith. You show your ignorance in that you will not even admit this when it is blatant.
[/size]

Whining about Joe, a Roman Catholic moderator, will not help your case - I frequently got suspended for 3-5 days by him for minor miscreances, and thanked him for them...  But the simple fact is that the RC arguments were failing, and RCs were converting to Eastern Orthodoxy as a result, with no proselytizing, and the admins had to do something, because those supporting the forum were seeing their dollars going to the detriment of Rome because of the presence of the EO posters there...

And the RCs there want to have their way with the discussions, and they could not do so with us throwing strikes at them from right field as well as the pitcher's mound...  They wanted to lord it over the Church that birthed them, and when they found out that they were incapable of doing so, they dishonestly threw them out...  That's the truth...

Your complaint about Joe, even if true, falls flat because if THAT were the ONLY problem, then a simple Mod switch would have sufficed...  But THAT did NOT happen, you see...  There was a great purgation of ALL THE OPPOSITION - And that was done because it was TOO EFFECTIVE and the RC's had NO ANSWERS on the Catholic ANSWER Forum...

It is embarrassing, actually...

And what was telling, regarding the corruption of the authoritarian phronema, was the dishonesty by which it was done...  It is this that convicted the RC board admin's in this action...  Where the bannings were concealed...

Reader Arsenios
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 12:59:12 AM by maqhth » Logged

Reader Arsenios

Watch what you do...
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2007, 08:24:43 AM »

To all those identifying themselves as former CA Posters...

Blessings of the Lord to you!

I wanted to take this opportunity to second Cleveland's message and affirm the sentiments of many others here who have not posted: a very warm welcome is extended to you!

My understanding is that the arguments on that board could not be archived or preserved in some way? That is a shame; I would have liked to have had these arguments preserved in some way as monuments to free speech. Is there any way to have an account set up to set the record straight?

Anyway, my Internet access has been spotty lately, but I did want to let you folks know you're more than welcome here, and I look forward to reading many more of your contributions!

+Fr Chris

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
brittrossiter

jasonrossiter
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2007, 09:55:03 AM »

That was the crux of their difficulty with us.  The answers from the EO's were so radiant and accurate that no proselytization was needed - Fr. Ambrose was getting convert after convert from Rome to the EOC, and there simply was NO effective counter - EVERY counter would get erased in such a good way that there was no come-back...  And they finally just decided that they were NOT paying money for their board to LOSE their faithful, and they got rid of the EOs...
Then I count myself fortunate and blessed to have stumbled across the CAF forums when I did.  I had only been reading/posting there for a couple of months.
maqhth

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »

This was a case where the Roman Catholic phronema was flushed out from its hiding places and into the open for all to see...  [Except the rest of their List...  It was these that it was designed to protect.]  The admin's took a long look, over several weeks and maybe even more than a month, and then decided what to do about the "problem"...  And it was classic, and deserves our understanding...  What they SAW was an attack upon their Church, and at that point, the gloves came off, and it was a fight to win and expel the attack at any cost...  And to protect their Church and her faithful...  Nothing mattered except to neutralize what they thought of as an attack...  Yes, we wielded some sticks and whips, and stung them sorely, with the left hand, but the right hand of blessing was always there for consolation, even in the midst of a reprimand for their ecclesial miscreance...  But all this was invisible to them, and all they could see was their Church under attack and getting creamed, and the call to the barricades was all that mattered...

This is the only way to understand, in a compassionate way, their decision to not only DO a despicable thing, but to then in a cowardly fashion to cover it up...  They were defending against an attack upon the Roman Church, which is holy and beloved of them, and that is ALL that they were doing in their minds...  They had no grasp of the wrongdoing of their Church, nor of their own error in apologetics for her...  And it was in both these that they were ever confronted by the Orthodox there...  When discussions became merely scholastic ramblings into definitions and terms, they would be reminded that their role in the schism from the Church is what is at stake, and must be faced honestly and forthrightly, and that retreat into definitions, or into Papal infallibility, or the Authority of Rome over all Christendom, was no argument at all, and but confirmed their Orthodox adversaries, who were patiently being truthful with them and insisting that only Rome's full confession and repentance from Her prodigality would heal the wounds of Her schism...

And this they took to be ONLY an ATTACK upon Christ's Body, the Roman Catholic Church...  I am beginning to understand Paul's angst for Judaism and her hardness of heart...  The Romans there could only accuse us of hate mongering and Catholic bashing...  And when they had been trounced enough, they got rid of us, and the moderator, Joe Monahan [Pray for him] who made sure that our voices, maybe 10 in all, were heard in this List of many many thousands of RC's...

It is this western phronema, the one that compartmentalizes the soul, that enables a person to be divided within himself utterly, that came forth...  They were willing to suppress the truth, cover up their actions, and now censor by moderator all posts in the "new" forum - Yes - They read the posts, and change the words, and then post them in the sanitized versions of the mod's now, so that nothing can come out that will make them look like what they really are, or disclose what they really are doing - It is this phronema, authoritarian and power oriented, defending their church, that came forth...  It is the same phronema that enabled child molesting priests to establish themselves in their Church, KNOWING that they would be protected BY such people as these...

In a word, it was ugly and pathetic and wrong...

And nobody got killed...

We didn't even have to sneak Fr. Ambrose out of town to avoid his capture! [like we did with St. Mark of Ephesus!]

I do not think that we will see the Papist back here arguing his "case"...  Because he knows that he will NOT be trreated like HIS board treated the Orthodox there...  Indeed, I admire him for trying, but even he is starting to see what went down, and the evil of it...  Glory to God!

And thank-you to all on this board for the place of refuge...

"And after the temptations of Satan, the angels ministered unto Him..." [My paraphrase...]

Arsenios
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 03:29:12 PM by maqhth » Logged

Reader Arsenios

Watch what you do...
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2007, 03:25:50 PM »

It appears that the archive ECF has vanished over at CAF...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »

Heavens to Murgatroyd, it's only a website. Don't get so dramatic.  Roll Eyes
maqhth

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2007, 03:54:50 PM »

To all those identifying themselves as former CA Posters...

Blessings of the Lord to you!

Thank-you, Fr. Chris...  +

I wanted to take this opportunity to second Cleveland's message and affirm the sentiments of many others here who have not posted: a very warm welcome is extended to you!

What a different "feel" here...!! But a person CAN get used to the harsh environs of enemy territory!  Smiley

My understanding is that the arguments on that board could not be archived or preserved in some way? That is a shame; I would have liked to have had these arguments preserved in some way as monuments to free speech. Is there any way to have an account set up to set the record straight?

Well, I went and tried to search for my posts, and the admin's seem to have been busy sanitizing the crime scene - I can only find my posts on the boards that are NOT the Eastern Christianity boards...  And that is where they all were - To find ALL my posts, only 51 now show, and those will probably be deleted as well...  They seem to be using a pretty strong disinfectant! Wink  I fear they may have excised the entire suspended forum...

Reminds me of the story of Fr. Arsenii being sent to that camp where the entire record of a person's existence is thrown into the fire, so that no trace of him exists any more, because he is going to that camp to die, and we don't want any basis for embarrassing questions!

So I went and looked up Fr. Ambrose threads, all of them, and NONE are from the Eastern Christianity forum...  So it looks like that forum has been excised...

Arsenios

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 04:00:55 PM by maqhth » Logged

Reader Arsenios

Watch what you do...
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2007, 04:20:32 PM »

Heavens to Murgatroyd  lubeltri, are you that old to use this ? This is from back in my day

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2007, 05:17:11 PM »

Heavens to Murgatroyd  lubeltri, are you that old to use this ? This is from back in my day

No, I'm not that old to use it except with tongue in cheek.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2007, 05:23:42 PM »

Yes, the cover-up continues. Good thing we'll document the activity here. Maybe Robert can even add some 'catholic answers' META tags to us, hehe...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
maqhth

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2007, 05:24:12 PM »

Heavens to Murgatroyd, it's only a website. Don't get so dramatic.  Roll Eyes

Father[?] Lubeltri, it was a dramatic event, and yes, it is only a website, where they boast:

Here you can join over 65,000 members from around the world
discussing all things Catholic.
Membership is open to all,
Catholic and non-Catholic alike,
who seek the Truth with Charity.

And I guess that I would say to you that such a thing COULD NOT happen here, on this site, because it is utterly foreign to the EO phronema...  If, for instance, the Papist were to change, and become abusive and insulting, he would not be excised with all his posts, which is what has happened to Fr. Ambrose and all the other Orthodox posters, together with the whole forum of Eastern Christianity...  I mean, such a thing is SO not Orthodox...  Our squabbles and spats can and do get mean spirited, nasty and personal, but they are out in the open with air and light around them...  But this business of concealing things that the CAF admin's did, of establishing a realm of darkness in cyber-technology from which they could strike out without being seen, and not being willing to stand in what they do, is what authoritarian dictators do all the time, and is reflective of an authoritarian phronema, which the RC members had been assuring the Orthodox was no longer the way Rome is any more...  They want to reach out to their brothers, they said...  And embrace them...  And love them in Christ...  Until they discover that their brothers are seeing them as unrepentant schismatics...  And then they revert to type...

The more things change, the more they remain the same...

But at least some made it out...

Arsenios

Reader Arsenios

Watch what you do...
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2007, 06:02:20 PM »

And regards to you, orthodoxlurker.  Your posts at the CAF were particularly helpful to me in my journey to Holy Orthodoxy.  (Same goes for you, Hesychios - thanks much!)

Wow! Keep me humbled, brother, I'm a sinner. I have no clue what in my posts could make such an impression on you.

But I'm so happy for you.

BTW, thanks for welcome to all.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »

Alas it is!

I'm so sad. So many so informative posts about several very important subjects!

Alas!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 06:04:54 PM by orthodoxlurker » Logged

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2007, 06:09:45 PM »

Oh, that explains it. I read the Admin's message that the forum had been archived and assumed they meant with the other archived threads. Clearly they meant "archived in the bin"! Cheesy
Changing history......Ah, there's nothing new under the sun is there?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2007, 06:13:19 PM »

Secret archives of the Cyber-Vatican...

orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2007, 06:13:46 PM »

So many excellent posts.

Three years of Fr Ambrose's answers.

Barbarians.

I'm so sad.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2007, 06:27:03 PM »

So many excellent posts.

Three years of Fr Ambrose's answers.

Barbarians.

I'm so sad.
I suppose if you can't stand the heat, get rid of the kitchen! Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2007, 08:35:49 PM »

I suppose if you can't stand the heat, get rid of the kitchen! Cheesy
RFLOL!  Grin

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2007, 08:48:32 PM »

You are right!...I wouldn't have believed it until you mentioned it.

I wouldn't have bothered to look for it, but it was there yesterday: ECF: 2007. They have archived some of the most mundane stuff there, but not the Eastern Christianity experiment.

I have no idea how much was in it, but I would have to guess at least 80,000 posts (could have been 180,000). Father A can be credited with 15,000 and I had almost 5,000. Mickey had around 7,000, I would guess.

I wonder why they felt compelled to take that step, really.

Michael

MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark...

Jaroslav Pelikan
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2007, 09:15:15 PM »

You are right!...I wouldn't have believed it until you mentioned it.

I wouldn't have bothered to look for it, but it was there yesterday: ECF: 2007. They have archived some of the most mundane stuff there, but not the Eastern Christianity experiment.

I have no idea how much was in it, but I would have to guess at least 80,000 posts (could have been 180,000). Father A can be credited with 15,000 and I had almost 5,000. Mickey had around 7,000, I would guess.

I wonder why they felt compelled to take that step, really.

Michael

MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark...

I had 4,400 posts I can say bye bye to.

JoeS
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2007, 10:55:50 PM »

The Eastern Catholic Section is anemic...

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2007, 09:17:07 AM »

Certainly part of their intentions.

yeshua

Faith: Syriac-Maronite

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2007, 08:33:15 PM »

Peace,

Hello everyone, I am a former Eastern Christianity poster over at CAF, a current poster in the Eastern Catholicism board, and always a supporter and friend of Holy Orthodoxy. I hope to continue the dialogue (and friendships) I had over at CAF here, if at  all possible.

On a personal note, I want to express my disgust over what happened at CAF, and my continued respect and admiration to my Orthodox brothers and sisters who were treated with nothing that resembled Christian charity. This sinful Maronite is still a loving friend, and I do my best to upkeep the respect and reverence Holy Orthodoxy deserves in that forum. Please know I struggle now to keep my faith and tradition respectable amongst the field of Latins and Latinized Eastern and Oriental Catholics. I don't have the luxury of the Orthodox support like last time, but would not be able to keep a firm stance were it not for those Orthodox friends who supported me.

I am still discerning my involvement over at CAF, for now, posting when I can, squashing any disrespect I see towards Eastern Catholics (whether they are Orthodox are Unia).

Peace and God Bless!

Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2007, 08:42:38 PM »

Of course it is.  There are only about 10 of us eastern Catholics there.  But a few of my friends have been there posting so they might be good for the defense.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2007, 08:57:34 PM »

I'm afraid that the NWO Catholics will dominate that board...like everything elsewhere

Jimmy
Maronite

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »

I'm afraid that the NWO Catholics will dominate that board...like everything elsewhere

What does NWO stand for?
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2007, 10:12:20 PM »

Of course it is.  There are only about 10 of us eastern Catholics there.  But a few of my friends have been there posting so they might be good for the defense.

Brother Jimmy ..The catholic answers forum may keep a few token orthodox posters ,  i've noticed brother Isa is there ,,Forever Adam ,,stMark...and a few others...if there going to last God only knows.....stashko Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2007, 10:16:17 PM »

New World Order...

wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »

Greetings all,

I've lurked here at OC.net before for a year or so but never registered until now. I really only read the EC forum at CAF, and now it and its best posters are all gone. Since everyone seemed to make their way to OC.net, I look forward to conversing with you all here.  Smiley
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2007, 10:30:08 PM »

Greetings all,

I've lurked here at OC.net before for a year or so but never registered until now. I really only read the EC forum at CAF, and now it and its best posters are all gone. Since everyone seemed to make their way to OC.net, I look forward to conversing with you all here.  Smiley

The feeling is mutual, I'm sure!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2007, 11:01:58 PM »

Hello,

Another CAF poster. I posted there as JMJ_coder. I too think it is bad that they reformatted the forum.

One of the problems over there was there was a handful of Orthodox and Catholics who derailed thread after thread with attacks, both toward each others Faith and each other personally. It got to be that it was almost expected that a thread would be hijacked and no useful information could be exchanged.

They said to move Catholic-Orthodox dialogue to the non-Catholic and Apologetics forums, but it seems most of the Orthodox posters are no longer with us.

It's also sad that the archive of it is gone - and I can't find it under my subscribed threads. That's is the most saddening news as I had some good posts that I wanted to save. I wish they would have warned me so I could have copied them to disk.

Hopeful the same kind of environment (excluding the hijacking and attacking) can be fostered here. I really loved dialogueing with my Eastern brethren. Having to look up patristic texts and conciliar documents is very informative. It really helped to confirm me in my Faith, and no matter what happens with the forums, they can't take that away.

Anyway, I hope to continue the dialogue here - though I am still pretty pressed at the moment for time with school (about 4 more weeks in the semester).

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2007, 11:20:33 PM »

Brother Jimmy ..The catholic answers forum may keep a few token orthodox posters ,  i've noticed brother Isa is there ,,Forever Adam ,,stMark...and a few others...if there going to last God only knows.....stashko Grin

I can tell you that StMarkEofE was one of the first to get banned forever. I know this first hand.

JoeS(StMarkEofE)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:27:23 PM by JoeS » Logged
Jimmy
Maronite

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2007, 11:24:03 PM »

Now we are the ones going out on a limb entering the 'enemy' territory.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:30:29 PM by Jimmy » Logged
Tags: Catholic Answers Forum CAF Reunion CAF 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: