OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 05:54:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catholic answers forum bars orthodox dicussion  (Read 266545 times) Average Rating: 0
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1440 on: April 23, 2008, 11:56:47 AM »

I said ( clearly) that I am Russian Orthodox and our "Easter" is this Sunday.

...She said she could arrange for a Kosher meal for me Smiley
This seldom happens to me...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1441 on: April 23, 2008, 12:33:09 PM »

Ignorance does abound though. I have to go  a business luncheon on Thursday and told the organizer that I may not be able to get there until late since it is Holy Week and there are services in the morning. I said ( clearly) that I am Russian Orthodox and our "Easter" is this Sunday. She said she could arrange for a Kosher meal for me Smiley

I wish I could say I'm surprised by her saying that ...

This seldom happens to me...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Exactly.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1442 on: April 23, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »

But on a more positive note: how's "Big Papi", lubeltri?

BTW I mean Pope Benedict, not David Ortiz. (I already know you're a Yankees fan. )

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #1443 on: April 23, 2008, 12:57:56 PM »

BTW I mean Pope Benedict, not David Ortiz. (I already know you're a Yankees fan. )

Ah. Now I get it. I thought you were teasing me.  Smiley

Yes, Sunday with Il Papa was . . . beyond description. A 19-hour day, but more than worth it! I'll treasure it the rest of my life.

I was reading on CNN.com several days ago and noticed that a reporter had taken a photo of me. My mother and I are sitting right behind the three people in the foreground:

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1444 on: April 23, 2008, 02:39:57 PM »

Ah. Now I get it. I thought you were teasing me.  Smiley

What, me? Tease someone?

(I do try to help Yankee fans see the light, naturally.)

Yes, Sunday with Il Papa was . . . beyond description. A 19-hour day, but more than worth it! I'll treasure it the rest of my life.

I was reading on CNN.com several days ago and noticed that a reporter had taken a photo of me.

Cool. 

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1445 on: April 23, 2008, 02:42:24 PM »

And before someone says, "see, Orthodox! you don't even know how many councils there are!"

Actually, we Catholics have also taken our share of criticism for "not knowing how many councils there are". For example:

You can find an outright denial of the ecumenicity of all the Roman Catholic Councils on the official website of the Melkites in the States!

(Of course, an alternative explanation that Fr. Ambrose is just extremely liberal when it comes to using exclamation points. Smiley)

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1446 on: April 23, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »

OK, I'm locking this thread until Pascha.
Good Pascha
George

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #1447 on: May 01, 2008, 10:41:34 AM »

I hope that everyone had a wonderful, beautiful and holy Paschal journey this year!

Christos Voskrese! Voistinnu Voskrese!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 10:47:10 AM by Mickey » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1448 on: May 01, 2008, 11:22:07 AM »

^^ Ditto!

BTW, I hope no one was offended by what I said last Wednesday; but I just can't bring myself to place the truth of the Red Sox on a par with the errors of the Yankees.

-Peter.

Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #1449 on: May 02, 2008, 09:42:08 PM »

I had an interesting experience over there today.

Someone tried to assert that the Syro-Malabar Particular church, never "broke communion with Rome". That would increase the claims to three.

I couldn't believe what I was reading and it had stood for 21 hours without a single challenge by the time I saw it.  Huh

Oh well...

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #1450 on: May 03, 2008, 04:26:19 AM »

Some of us can't get there to deal with things Sad

And it's getting worse by the minute - there is a 17yr old pontificating one minute and asking something daft the next . Angry

The dreaded Monastery Icons  thing has been brought up yet again  Sad

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1451 on: May 03, 2008, 09:55:55 AM »

Some of us can't get there to deal with things Sad

I was thinking much the same thing.

It's like the old saying. You can bring a horse to a bar, but you can't make him drink.

I'd say there are plenty of people willing to help CAF out with regard to correcting inaccuracies, if the people running CAF would just "play nice" (e.g. not ban people for no good reason).

I think I said earlier that CAF is an embarrassment to the [Roman] Catholic Church. That was probably a little bit of a generalization/oversimplification; but definitely the mods' actions a few months ago (and since) with respect to the Eastern section of CAF is a disgrace.

My zero and 2/100 dollars.
-Peter.

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1452 on: May 03, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »

The real problem is their obstinacy

Neil can't correct mis-info taken from his stuff - and does his stuff actually exist there anymore ?

Why isn't the Mod stepping in at times , as indeed Joe used to do , correcting things ?

Why doesn't someone point out that many folk are only answering the post they see and not bothering to read the thread ? The best evidence of that is the " So an Eastern Bishop came to my Parish ' That one should have been shut down Sad

It actually ended with this very thoughtful post by the mixed up 17yr old
If the Bishop was Eastern Orthodox then the Confirmation was:

-Valid
-Illicit

If the Bishop was Eastern Catholic then the Confirmation was:

-Valid
-Licit

several pages after it had been confirmed [ Smiley ] that the Bishop concerned was indeed Eastern Catholic
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:15:36 AM by the slave » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1453 on: May 04, 2008, 03:35:23 PM »

I posted on that thread yesterday calling it a ball of confusion and asking where is my bro Irish Melkite and his needed expertise, it was there this morning, I checked minutes ago it has vanished...

I shake the dust from my Nike's

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1454 on: May 04, 2008, 04:24:40 PM »

Hmmmm - i get that deja vu feeling again

- St. John Maximovitch
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #1455 on: May 04, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »

Hello James my brother,
I posted on that thread yesterday calling it a ball of confusion and asking where is my bro Irish Melkite and his needed expertise, it was there this morning, I checked minutes ago it has vanished...

Peter J started a new thread quoting you, he suggested that people be referred to EWTN for sound answers to eastern Catholic questions! I thought it was hilarious but I muted myself, while agreeing of course. I can't find it anywhere now.

I am told I lack charity, I guess I have become an old sourpuss.

Michael, the curmudgeon

Jaroslav Pelikan
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1456 on: May 04, 2008, 10:24:07 PM »

Michael,

You are a gentle and caring person, I am honored by your friendship...

I have a definition for CA...but can't post it

james 

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1457 on: May 04, 2008, 10:37:29 PM »

I thought it was hilarious

Always glad to be of help (not that I understand how I succeeded in being so funny).
-Peter.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #1458 on: May 05, 2008, 03:27:46 AM »

Always glad to be of help (not that I understand how I succeeded in being so funny).
-Peter.

Peter,

I wasn't certain if that was you who posted it, but I think Michael's description has to do with the dearth of expertise at EWTN versus Eastern Christianity or even Eastern Catholicism. 

Since Anthony Dragani left his position as the "Eastern expert" on their "Expert Q&A page", the site has been fairly devoid of anyone with any qualification or background to handle such queries (and I don't mean to be uncritical of Anthony, because there were a number of issues/queries on which I disagreed with his replies - but he did a decent job generally and is, at least, Eastern Catholic). There's another "expert" there whom I understand to be a Ukrainian Greek-Catholic deacon, but his expertise appears to be primarily directed at questions of Canon Law (and not principally that of the Eastern Code) and I've only seen him address Eastern questions on a few occasions - not enough to judge how well he does at it. 

Of course, EWTN does have a bi-ritual (Latin/Maronite) priest (whose name escapes me), but he's not involved with the Q&A last I checked. I think he hosts the occasional show on the East and commentates or concelebrates the even less occasional Divine Liturgy shown there. However, with all due respect to the good father (whom I know has a following among some of my fellow Eastern Catholics), I've been generally lukewarm in my reactions to what I've seen of him. There were a couple of particular instances (the details of which presently escape my sleep-addled mind) from which I had the distinct impression that his knowledge base was not what it could be. 

In all honesty, anyone looking for sound and definitive info regarding Eastern Christianity in general is best off either at ByzCath or here.  Beyond informational queries, the choice between the two is principally between a more collegial environment versus a somewhat more confrontational one - albeit one in which respect and charity continue to be demanded. (And it's not the "phony" charity of present-day CAF - which seems to be focused on not allowing ECs and EOs to directly interact with one another, lest the ECs feel "threatened", "put upon", or "stifled" by their Orthodox brethren - better they be attacked, demeaned, and generally held up to ridicule by their Latin brethren  Huh  .  A truly curious world that is.)

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1459 on: May 05, 2008, 03:35:04 AM »

James, dear friend,

I saw your post and thought "this won't last long". It actually, stayed a bit longer than I expected - probably because of a Satuday night-Sunday morning lag in checking the EC forum for bomb-tossers, no-goodniks, disgruntled ECs, misguided Latin sympathizers, and rabid Orthodox straying outside the bounds of the Non-Catholic forum. Honestly, I was surprised not to see your nick labeled - but, then, we don't all wear scarlet letters  Roll Eyes

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:35:28 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1460 on: May 05, 2008, 03:56:04 AM »

Someone tried to assert that the Syro-Malabar Particular church, never "broke communion with Rome". That would increase the claims to three.

I couldn't believe what I was reading and it had stood for 21 hours without a single challenge by the time I saw it.  Huh

Oh well...

Michael, my brother,

Excellent response. The claim itself isn't entirely new - it's been bandied about occasionally about the Syro-Malabars and even a few others (someone once claimed it about we Melkites also).  In that long series on the Eastern & Oriental Catholic Churches, a couple editions of which are posted at ByzCath - and one edition of which I think is still extant at CAF - and a copy of which is here on the Orthodox-Catholic Discussion forum, thanks to OzGeorge, I said this of it:

Quote from: Irish Melkite
Eastern and Oriental Catholic Churches, generally, represent bodies of faithful whose ancestors, at various points in history, entered into communion with Rome from Eastern or Oriental Orthodox Churches, effectively mending, for their part, the mutual schisms that occurred some centuries prior. Since these reunions were not corporate (i.e., none involved reunification in toto of a Church’s hierarchy, clergy, and faithful), there is a counterpart Eastern or Oriental Orthodox Church to every Eastern or Oriental Catholic Church except two - the Maronite Catholic Church and the Italo-Graeco-Albanian Byzantine Catholic Church.

The reason usually advanced as to why these two Churches have no counterpart among the Orthodox Churches is that neither was ever separated from the Church of Rome. However, the continuous communion of the Maronites is a matter of debate among historians. As regards the Italo-Graeco-Albanians, the reality of continuous communion is only true of the Church in its present form, an amalgamation of what were once three distinct ecclesial communities, two of which (Greek and Albanian) have Orthodox counterparts (the third - Italo-Byzantines - is no longer extant as a discernible ecclesia, its faithful having been subsumed into the Italo-Greek Church) .

Arguments are sometimes advanced that the Melkite Greek-Catholic and Syro-Malabarese Catholic Churches, among others, also never parted communion with Rome. In response to such claims (and similar ones have been advanced on behalf of various other Eastern and Oriental Catholic Churches), it may be that there were individual canonical jurisdictions (i.e., eparchies) or communities (e.g., parishes) of an Eastern or Oriental Church which remained in union with Rome, de facto, if not overtly. (Certainly, there are documented instances in which jurisdictions maintained dual communion with Rome and Constantinople). However, incontrovertible evidence to support continuous communion with Rome are not readily available or accessible. (In truth, all such claims are of little consequence, given that they are employed primarily as “one-upmanship” by those seeking to demonstrate that they are “more Catholic” than others.)

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 04:00:29 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1461 on: May 05, 2008, 04:19:47 AM »

The real problem is their obstinacy

Neil can't correct mis-info taken from his stuff - and does his stuff actually exist there anymore ?

Anhelyna,

Some of it does. The Churches piece that I mentioned in my reply to Michael is there, but actually not in the Eastern forum (I don't think). There's a somewhat abbreviated copy in a sticky at another of the fora (one of the surviving ECs over there - who shall go unnamed for his sake - posted links to it recently in a couple of CAF threads). My series of links on iconographic style in the various Churches is in that resurrected "scary icon" thread. Most of the informational threads and posts that Joe had stickied are, of course, gone. Not sure about my post on Augustinian/Cyprianic views of apostolic succession that was always a favorite with Father Ambrose.  But, there's much that is gone - the thread on liturgical chant in the various Eastern Churches, that thread on which Padre Ambrogio and I collaborated on the various groups that arose contemporaneously with the Old Ritualists, Freeway's great illustrated thread on liturgical vesture, accoutrements, and furnishings in East and West, so many of Father Ambrose's encyclopedic postings on theology, spirituality, praxis, etc.   

I do find it amusing that Joe's posts enunciating the site's general rules (like the "banned topics" list) and a number of specific policy stances are still in place, at the top of most every forum.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 04:21:18 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1462 on: May 05, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »

James, dear friend,

I saw your post and thought "this won't last long". It actually, stayed a bit longer than I expected

I was kinda surprised when James' (Jakub's) post vanished, but maybe that just shows that I'm still a little naive about the extend of the CAF mods' unscrupulous practices.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1463 on: May 05, 2008, 10:47:55 AM »

Of course, EWTN does have a bi-ritual (Latin/Maronite) priest (whose name escapes me), but he's not involved with the Q&A last I checked.

Father Mitch Pacwa.

Since Anthony Dragani left his position as the "Eastern expert" on their "Expert Q&A page"

Yes I just became aware of his departure yesterday. I posted this on the vanished CAF thread, though I'm not sure if anyone saw it before the disappearing act began:

... I dug a little deeper at the EWTN website and found this, dated 04-12-2007:

For several years now Anthony Dragani has served as moderator of EWTN's Eastern Catholic Churches Forum. During this time he has handled the many questions posed to him with expertise and charity. He now moves on to pursue his own ecumenical apostolate East2West.

On behalf of EWTN we thank Dr. Dragani for his outstanding service to EWTN's website and its visitors and we wish him God speed in all his endeavors on behalf of the Lord and His Church.

- Colin Donovan

P.S. EWTN intends to continue this Forum with a new moderator as soon as practicable. Please bear with us

I don't think they have a replacement for him yet.

-Peter.

P.S. I had thought "East2West" was just the name of Anthony's website, but I guess it's actually more than that.

Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #1464 on: May 05, 2008, 10:55:32 AM »

-Peter.
Hi Peter,

Perhaps "hilarious" was not the right word, it was actually a serious commentary. Mostly I was pleasently amused that the suggestion was out in the open "GO ELSEWHERE" for good information! You could have suggested ByzCath or here and I would have been amused as well, because it is a source of embarassment to the present moderator, Karl Keating and the entire staff there.

The Eastern Catholic Forum is thoroughly debased, and everyone knows it! For the moderators to tolerate such a comment would be like admitting the failure of their mission. I was not expecting the thread to last very long.

Discussion forums are by their very nature not wholly reliable sources of information. They are very dependent upon the quality of the participating members as well as the moderation.

Now as to the suggestion to go to EWTN, that was somewhat ironic, but I honestly have not read it in years. It does happen to be the single most notable alternative source for information for Catholics which is not a discussion forum.

For CAF to be able to match them even in their diminished state (absent Dr Dragani) they would have to institute an "ASK AN EASTERN CATHOLIC APOLOGIST" section, which they are extremely ill-equipped to do.

Jaroslav Pelikan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1465 on: May 05, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »

Perhaps "hilarious" was not the right word, it was actually a serious commentary. Mostly I was pleasently amused that the suggestion was out in the open "GO ELSEWHERE" for good information!

Oh I see (chuckle). I thought you meant more what Neil said.

You could have suggested ByzCath or here and I would have been amused as well, because it is a source of embarassment to the present moderator, Karl Keating and the entire staff there.

I did seriously consider suggesting BzyCath, but I was a little worried such a comment might get censured (imagine that! ). I guess it's like that other old saying ... about trying to please everyone and actually pleasing no one.

Blessings,
Peter (J).

wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Transfiguration

« Reply #1466 on: May 05, 2008, 06:42:25 PM »

It actually, stayed a bit longer than I expected - probably because of a Satuday night-Sunday morning lag in checking the EC forum for bomb-tossers, no-goodniks, disgruntled ECs, misguided Latin sympathizers, and rabid Orthodox straying outside the bounds of the Non-Catholic forum.

Hi Neil,

What constitutes a misguided Latin sympathizer?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1467 on: May 05, 2008, 08:13:33 PM »

Someone tried to assert that the Syro-Malabar Particular church, never "broke communion with Rome".

Where I come from, them is fightin words !

Mary-lou..Go fetch my shotgun

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #1468 on: May 05, 2008, 08:41:28 PM »

Oh well...

Yes, that is amazing.  I didn't notice it till today because I didn't feel like reading the thread.  Today I looked at it and was amazed that there were people making that claim It wasn't only a false rumor; there were people who were actually trying to defend the claim. 

I am not sure who the other group is who has been claimed to never have broken communion.  There is us Maronites and the Malabar's now but I can't think of a third who the claim would have been made for.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:26:32 PM by Jimmy » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1469 on: May 05, 2008, 10:32:12 PM »

Peter,

I wasn't certain if that was you who posted it,

On an indirectly-related matter: since we're talking about EWTN, you may notice that a number of the questions at that site are signed "PJ". That isn't me -- this is the only website where I use that screen name. Mostly I use the name on my blog, i.e. "Peter J". (Actually, if I could I think I would change it here to be consistent.)

yeshua

Faith: Syriac-Maronite

« Reply #1470 on: May 05, 2008, 11:48:41 PM »

I am not sure who the other group is who has been claimed to never have broken communion.  There is us Maronites and the Malabar's now but I can't think of a third who the claim would have been made for.

I believe the Italo-Byzantines make the same claim. Padre Ambrogio, care to elaborate?  Grin
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1471 on: May 06, 2008, 03:54:36 AM »

Hi Neil,

What constitutes a misguided Latin sympathizer?

Wynd,

In CAF's view it would likely be any Latin with a sound knowledge, understanding, and love of the East who might take umbrage at the cavalier treatment of our respective Churches, might defend Eastern spirituality, theology, or praxis, or might otherwise appear averse to the hostile attitude towards us that is, at the least, tolerated if not sanctioned over there.

(My long-time friend, James, could certainly be construed as such; Peter might get branded yet. Papist is in no danger of such  Grin )

Many years,

Neil

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1472 on: May 06, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »

I believe the Italo-Byzantines make the same claim. Padre Ambrogio, care to elaborate?  Grin
This is correct. The Italo-Byzantines (Italo-Greeks of Calabria) have never been out of communion with Rome.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #1473 on: May 06, 2008, 08:32:08 AM »

In CAF's view it would likely be any Latin with a sound knowledge, understanding, and love of the East who might take umbrage at the cavalier treatment of our respective Churches, might defend Eastern spirituality, theology, or praxis, or might otherwise appear averse to the hostile attitude towards us that is, at the least, tolerated if not sanctioned over there.

That all sounds fine. What part of it is misguided? Or, is it only misguided from CAF's view?  Grin
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #1474 on: May 06, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »

This is correct. The Italo-Byzantines (Italo-Greeks of Calabria) have never been out of communion with Rome.
There is some question about this, it is quite possible that this idea is the product of some over zealous apologetics.

While I am certainly not averse to accepting this claim at face value, Padre Ambrogio has in the past made an important observation. In the first place they do not refer to themselves as Italo-Greek, it is the Italo-Albanian church Sui Iuris.

It seems that there were really two Byzantine churches of Italy and they did not overlap or meld, -1- the Italo-Greek which was for the most part absorbed by the Latin church (most, if not all of the RC dioceses of southern Italy were originally Byzantine Greek), and -2- the Albanian "Church Abroad" which came to Italy after the demise of Skenderbeg, in whatever year that was. These Albanian Orthodox were most definitely were out of communion with Rome along with all other Orthodox until their flight from the Turks across the Adriatic, which was made much less complicated due to the Council of Florence.

Padre Ambrogio was pretty adamant that in the 500 intervening years of Latin dominance over the Greek church, it essentially disappeared into the Latin church. This has parallels in places like the Czech lands and parts of Slovakia and Hungary where the missions of Cyril and Methodios had made some initial, if short lived, progress.

Interestingly Barlaam, the famous interlocutor with St Gregory Palamas, was made a bishop of one of these dioceses when it was still "Greek". It is now a Latin diocese, though I forget which one.

Michael

Jaroslav Pelikan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #1475 on: May 06, 2008, 10:59:27 AM »

Sorry to dispute you, Michael, but you are mistaking two different churches. Italo-Albanians and Italo-Greeks are not the same, I think.
And if they are I am not aware of their ever being out of communion with Rome. Transfered jurisdiction to Constantinople for a period, but not out of communion with Rome..
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 11:04:07 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1476 on: May 06, 2008, 07:00:39 PM »

Sorry to dispute you, Michael, but you are mistaking two different churches. Italo-Albanians and Italo-Greeks are not the same, I think.
And if they are I am not aware of their ever being out of communion with Rome. Transfered jurisdiction to Constantinople for a period, but not out of communion with Rome..

Irish Melkite has developed an excellent information thread about the Eastern and Oriental rite Churches. You will find it here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13463.0.html
It's such an excellent resource, I have just made it a sticky.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #1477 on: May 07, 2008, 11:24:20 AM »

Sorry to dispute you, Michael, but you are mistaking two different churches.
I don't see any dispute at all.

Essentially they are two different churches. Some Catholic apologists conflate the two.
Italo-Albanians and Italo-Greeks are not the same, I think.
The Catholic idea is that the Italo Greek church somehow survived the five hundred years and was reinvigorated by these Orthosdox migrants from Albania.

Padre Ambrogio has maintained in the past (perhaps I should let him speak to this, but whatever) that the Italo Greek church died, disappeared and is gone. That was the church which, due to political circumstances, was subject the the Pope of Rome at the time of the Bull of excommunication 1054AD. It was also the church that was beginning to be actively suppressed prior to that (the reason of which Patriarch Michael closed Latin parishes in Constantinople in response).

This situation continued for some time, as Latin bishops were appointed to the Greeek Sees, these dioceses were all eventually converted to the Roman Catholic dioceses of southern Italy.

The migration of Albanian Orthodox (who most definitely were out of communion with Rome in the Balkans, and still are) was an entirely different case...500 years later.

It is the Italo-Albanian (formerly Orthodox) church which is usually claimed to have never been "out of communion" with Rome, but in fact it is a latecomer.

Grottaferrata seems to be a unique case, being a monastic foundation. It originated as an extension of the Italo Greek community, but somehow during the process of the Greek church collapsing into the Latin it survived. Most of the 1000 Greek Catholic monasteries of southern Italy closed, this one remained open, substantiallly Latinized. It has no direct connection to the hierarchy of the Italo-Albanian church (which was erected later), and is not counted as an institution of that Sui Iuris church.

It seems possible that the claim that the Italo-Albanian Sui Iuris church has continually been in communion with Rome is a product of creative thinking on the part of some imaginative apologists.

Michael

Jaroslav Pelikan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #1478 on: May 07, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »

Ah, Michael
I see we are in agreement here. Yes, the RC take on this confuses a lot of history. Most notable being the role of Justinian's Belisarius retaking North Africa (and restoring the Catholic Church to Hippo) in the sixth century and recovering Rome (restoring the Church of Rome and the Pope to its primal role in the west.) At that time the Greeks of Sicily, Calabria, and points north came into contact with eastern worship forms (Greek) and adopted them preferring their native language. They in fact were never out of communion with Rome although transfered to New Rome for period as Rome recovered.
The Italo-Albanians...you are right, latecomers.

Back to our regularly scheduled programing
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:29:39 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #1479 on: May 08, 2008, 08:34:14 PM »

I see the poll about "what church would an Eastern Catholic attend if the Eastern Catholic Churches were dissolved by the Pope" has been removed.

Christ is Risen!  Indeed He is Risen!

U-C
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #1480 on: May 08, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »

I see the poll about "what church would an Eastern Catholic attend if the Eastern Catholic Churches were dissolved by the Pope" has been removed.

Christ is Risen!  Indeed He is Risen!

U-C

I saw that post and was going to come back later and ask a question, but since it was deleted I'll ask it here and hope a knowledgeable Catholic sees it:

In the thread, someone stated that dissolving the Eastern Catholic Churches would be like dissolving the Trinity; i.e., not possible. Is the existence of other churches and rites in the Catholic Church really protected in this quasi-infallible way? What precisely stops the pope from doing such a thing?
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #1481 on: May 09, 2008, 02:49:00 AM »

Poll appears to be back. In other news, E&W has been suspended over there (with label)  Roll Eyes

Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #1482 on: May 09, 2008, 05:33:57 AM »

It is back in the Eastern Catholicism forum.
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #1483 on: May 09, 2008, 06:59:04 AM »

Poll appears to be back. In other news, E&W has been suspended over there (with label)  Roll Eyes

Hmmm - is this the prologue as it has been in so many other cases ?

- St. John Maximovitch
Heracleides
Elder

Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Jerusalem

Kona-Kai

« Reply #1484 on: May 09, 2008, 07:18:21 AM »

Hmmm - is this the prologue as it has been in so many other cases ?

One can hope...   Wink

"And having found Heracleides there again, we instructed him to proclaim the Gospel of God..."  ~Acts of Barnabas
Tags: Catholic Answers Forum CAF Reunion CAF 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: