OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 06:06:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK to put icons in bedroom?  (Read 16769 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »

A few thoughts... First, if you are worried about God seeing you naked, just get dressed and do the funky monkey with your significant other underneath the covers (a big, thick comforter works best); God wouldn't violate our privacy by looking underneath the covers. Second, necrothreadophile, yes, that word will work quite nicely!
Oh, come now! God has been watching marital relations for thousands of years. He created us this way.

As for Him not looking underneath the covers,

"O Heavenly King, the Paraclete, the Spirit of Truth who are in all places and fill all things..." laugh

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 02:19:15 AM »

I never seen a washroom in a Serbian Orthodox Church build from the ground up...Can't speak for the serbian Churches that are purchased from catholic or protestant groups...washrooms are always located in the church school/hall a seperate building from the church....

Here in Chicago a Greek Orthodox Church St. George about 2700 North Shefield .has washrooms in the basement Church hall under the same roof as the church....... Shocked
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:35:53 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 02:25:39 AM »

Oh, come now! God has been watching marital relations for thousands of years. He created us this way.

As for Him not looking underneath the covers,

"O Heavenly King, the Paraclete, the Spirit of Truth who are in all places and fill all things..." laugh

Well if he could see what we were doing, I bet he looked away out of modesty a lot, because... well... nevermind, this probably isn't the place to discuss it!  Tongue Kiss angel police

I never seen a washroom in a Serbian Orthodox Church build from the ground up...Can't speak for the serbian Churches that are purchased from catholic or protestant groups...There always located in the church school/hall a seperate building from the church....

Here in Chicago a Greek Orthodox Church has a washroom in the basement Church hall under the same roof as the church....... Shocked

I'm fairly sure that every parish I've been to here in the US had a bathroom in the same building as the main Church. And most of them were built by Orthodox, not bought from those evil Catholics/Protestants.  Wink

Large Marge sent me...
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 05:31:16 AM »

I am sure most folks here know about an episode from the show "Curb your Enthusiasm."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCodaoMt8XE

This is what might happen, a strong possibility if we place icons or images in bathrooms. Well, that's just my opinion Undecided (I hope no one is offended by the clip, if so, I apologize)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:38:34 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 09:59:01 AM »

Just when you think you could never find a topic to top the one you just left which splits off in a dumb direction with the oddest comments....... Wink
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 04:44:05 AM »

Well,  I would have to say that many people take their last breaths in their bathroom. What better reason to have an icon in there?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56:09 AM »

I'm fairly sure that every parish I've been to here in the US had a bathroom in the same building as the main Church. And most of them were built by Orthodox, not bought from those evil Catholics/Protestants.  Wink

Oh my! So besides pews, beardless priests and wrong calendars now we have to deal with bathrooms. Shocked

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 06:12:30 AM »

That's Correct   .....I've Yet to see a Serbian Orthodox Church Build Brand New with a Washroom located on the side somewhere......
When Land is Purchased There's usually a building on it ,or a Quonset hut is put up, that serves as a temporary Church .....Till the new one is built.....

I'm fairly sure that every parish I've been to here in the US had a bathroom in the same building as the main Church. And most of them were built by Orthodox, not bought from those evil Catholics/Protestants.  Wink

Oh my! So besides pews, beardless priests and wrong calendars now we have to deal with bathrooms. Shocked
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:13:27 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »

Asteriktos, thank you for bumping this up - my parents purchased a beautiful Icon of the Holy Theotokos for Christmas - perfect for my nightstand, but I was wondering if putting it there was appropriate.  But I often pray there at night in bed on my way to sleep and always when I am waking up.  Your timing and choice was perfect! Smiley

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »

I live in a house with two roommates. My bedroom is the only place I have where I can put icons and pray right now.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »

I have a full icon corner in my bedroom.  I pray there, and it's the only place in the house where I can have privacy.  I also have a small icon corner (with 3 icons) at my father's house.   

I wake up and go to bed praying, and I do this in my bedroom.  unless I build a house chapel in my house like some members of this forum, I will continue to pray in my bedroom.   Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags: icons bedroom marriage 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: