OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 12:42:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK to put icons in bedroom?  (Read 16736 times) Average Rating: 0
brittrossiter

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

jasonrossiter
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:17:52 PM »

OK.  I've found the thread on whether or not it's OK to put icons in the bathroom, and that makes sense to me.  But what about the bedroom?  In the past I've done a lot of praying in my bedroom.  But I also get dressed in there...   Undecided   Is it OK to hang icons in the bedroom?  I hope this doesn't sound too silly, but I really would like to know the answer.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:15:02 PM »

I have them in my bedroom, kids rooms, hall, kitchen, car, dinning room, and a few other places as well.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:34:33 AM »

OK.  I've found the thread on whether or not it's OK to put icons in the bathroom, and that makes sense to me.  But what about the bedroom?  In the past I've done a lot of praying in my bedroom.  But I also get dressed in there...   Undecided   Is it OK to hang icons in the bedroom?  I hope this doesn't sound too silly, but I really would like to know the answer.
Not an "official" Orthodox position, just my own personal musing...

One of our Compline (private after-dinner/bedtime service) prayers reads as follows:

"And grant rest, O Master, to our souls and bodies as we sleep; preserve us from the gloomy slumber of sin and from the dark passions of the night.  Calm the impulses of carnal desires, quench the fiery darts of the evil one which are craftily directed against us.  Still the rebellions of the flesh, and put far from us all anxiety and worldly cares.

"Grants us, O God, a watchful mind, pure thoughts, a sober heart, and a quiet rest free from every vision of the devil. ..."

This seems to express that there is a very real understanding in Orthodoxy that our own passions and the legions of the evil one find us most vulnerable to their attacks while we sleep, and, to some degree from my own experience,  I would have to agree.  What more excellent way to counter this than by placing icons in our bedrooms, and even over our beds!  Many of us even have little prayer corners in our bedrooms precisely so we have a place to pray our bedtime prayers as a means of guarding ourselves against the evil one.  I would certainly encourage you to place a good number of icons in your bedroom.

(IOW, my being in various states of undress in my bedroom is just not an issue for me as regards keeping icons there, just so long as I don't disrespect God by standing in prayer before my icons wearing naught but my skin--that's just plain rude. Shocked)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 07:23:53 AM »

But I also get dressed in there...
Don't worry. God has already seen our doodles. In fact, He made them! Welcome to the forum!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:54:53 AM »

Not really advice, just an anecdote:
Just before our wedding, our priest told my wife and I that it would be a good idea to hang an icon of the Theotokos "More Spacious Than the Heavens"  in our bedroom. He said that she would help us to conceive. Now as we are expecting our first any day now, it seems that he was right....

But really, the way my priest first explained icons to me was that anywhere we pray, we should have icons. So if you pray in your bedroom, make an icon corner there. It can be as simple as one icon of Christ and one of the Theotokos. Not to say you can't have many icons; we've got quite a few in our main icon corner, as well as several scattered throughout the house.

Hope that helps.

[edited for redundancy]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 10:19:58 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 10:17:36 AM »

Try not to build a church in your house.  laugh Having Icons in any room is no problem.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:19:03 AM »

It seems I've heard a story that Russians would turn the icons around if they were doing anything sinful or offensive in the presence of the icons.  Is this just a myth or on exaggeration?

And yes, you should have icons in the bedroom.  It is very comforting and you can continue to pray looking at your icons as you go to sleep.  Sometimes I leave a lampada burning (not very safety conscious) after the lights are out and that little light in the dark, illuminating the faces of the saints, is beautiful.  

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 10:59:28 AM »

At the moment, we have just the San Damiano Cross in our bedroom, but prior to our move we had an icon of Christ and the Theotokos on our respective sides of the bed (these are now in the icon corner in the living room).  My wife won't let me use a lampada after lights out, but I while a bachelor I certainly had lots of icons in my bedroom and always fell asleep to the soft, red light of a votive candle in addition to the single bright light from a Old Believer-style lamp.  I used to have terrible nightmares at that time and the single, bright little flame would help me forget them and go back to sleep after I would wake up screaming.

By all means, put them in your bedroom, most certainly if you pray there.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
brittrossiter

jasonrossiter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 11:25:38 AM »

These are all excellent responses, and thank you very much. 
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 07:16:58 PM »

It seems I've heard a story that Russians would turn the icons around if they were doing anything sinful or offensive in the presence of the icons.  Is this just a myth or on exaggeration?
There is a tradition among many of the Russians, Ukrainians, and Carpatho Rusyns to decorate the icons with a special embroidered cloth (called a rushnyk).  When a couple would have sex, they would cover the icon with the rushnyk so that the icons wouldn't watch. Wink  No, I am not making this up!

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 07:24:10 PM »

These are all excellent responses, and thank you very much. 

I'm glad.  Placing icons in the bedroom is a very appropriate, and often very edifying practice.

It seems I've heard a story that Russians would turn the icons around if they were doing anything sinful or offensive in the presence of the icons.  Is this just a myth or on exaggeration?

*ahem* No, not a myth, and not an exaggeration.  Why don't I like this?  Because it says to people that sex is sinful or offensive, which it is really neither.  But some people have their pious customs.  I never understood it: why cover an icon when the people that are depicted in it are not constrained by the physical world anymore?  They can still see what you are doing!

{/Tangent}
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 08:21:20 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 07:57:06 PM »

Because we're shy?

That, by the way, is one reason why I don't have icons in my bedroom.  Not out of a sense of shame, just privacy!  Cheesy

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 08:21:19 PM »

Try not to build a church in your house.  laugh Having Icons in any room is no problem.

haha. I have a Church in my house Wink Fully functional.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 08:22:21 PM »

Because we're shy?

That, by the way, is one reason why I don't have icons in my bedroom.  Not out of a sense of shame, just privacy!  Cheesy 

Then why not just have some mini-drapes over the icons, so you can give them some shade while you're doing "shady" things! Grin
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 08:26:53 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 08:23:57 PM »

So whatever happened to the Kat'Oikon Ekklesia (the church of the home)?

haha. I have a Church in my house Wink Fully functional. 

Church bells too?  Impressive.

---------------------
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 09:05:39 PM »

We have the wedding at Cana icon given to us at our marriage in the church in our bedroom.  I hadn't thought about it really. I know someone on here is thinking of at least one person that should NOT have a conception blessing or help icon in her bedroom, is their a saint that will act in the inverse?  angel

It's up to some of ya'll now.

Oz, just when I think it's a pretty straightforward thread you make me laugh. I must have an odd sense of humor, or you do.  Wink
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 12:02:04 PM »

Don't worry. God has already seen our doodles. In fact, He made them! Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad I wasn't sipping my coffee when I read this.  Cheesy  I was thinking the same thing... God knows what we look like.

Ebor (who has the "Creation of the Stars" on the bedroom wall)

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »

ah, quite Australian response.

Not to be indelicate when I was married (divorced now) we had icons (including those from our marriage) in our bedroom and the Crucfix I got from Jerusalem above the bed where we did our doodling.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 12:18:21 PM »

Not really advice, just an anecdote:
Just before our wedding, our priest told my wife and I that it would be a good idea to hang an icon of the Theotokos "More Spacious Than the Heavens"  in our bedroom. He said that she would help us to conceive. Now as we are expecting our first any day now, it seems that he was right....

But really, the way my priest first explained icons to me was that anywhere we pray, we should have icons. So if you pray in your bedroom, make an icon corner there. It can be as simple as one icon of Christ and one of the Theotokos. Not to say you can't have many icons; we've got quite a few in our main icon corner, as well as several scattered throughout the house.

Hope that helps.

[edited for redundancy]

We brought an icon that we got of St. Michael (the name already chosen if blessed by a boy) into the birth room.  It has been his major icon since before he was conceived.

Also, I used to tell the children that they didn't need to worry about monsters, as the saints and Jesus were protecting them through the icons in their room, before which we said night prayers.  We never had "monster" problems (the dog in the alley was a different matter).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 09:09:43 AM »

As my dad and step-mum are not Christian, every icon I have is in my room.

Unfortunately I don't have enough hooks for the all so some sit on my desk or in my cupboard which is admittedly not ideal but I have nowhere else I may put them Huh

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Joseph-James

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

tonsured reader

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 09:47:19 AM »

When we were choosing where to put our family icon corner, I looked for a place that faced east. A corner of the master bedroom was the place we found in our house that met that need. We have icons in every room of the house, however, often in groups of 3.

Jim
Paradosis

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »

I have my icon corner in my bedroom.  It find it best to have it there as my morning and evening prayers are the first and last things I do during the day. 
BigFatGreekDaddy
Holy Unmerceneries Pray for us

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 12:33:42 AM »

We once had a priest tell the congregation, prior to the annual blessing of the homes, that he would walk into too many people's homes and not even know an Orthodox Christian lived there.

I made a point to alert anyone ever entering my home that they are in an Orthodox home.

The entire fireplace, in the family room, is adorned with icons.

I have the pantocrator on top, a large "quick to hear" stlyed Theotokos and child Christ in the center, and several others.

We set up the top row with the gaurdian angels icon, and one of the patron St. of the family.

The next row down we have my wife's patron st. and my ow.

The third icon row down we have the moveable/upcoming feasts.  I rotate these icons.  I have whatever feast is coming up and the one that just passed hanging.  All of the other 14 major feast icons are all in the bedroom.

We have no less than 18 icons in our bedroom( Shocked ) , and no less than 3 in my daughter's bedroom.  We also have a mystical supper icon in the dining room.

It defenitely starts conversations for those who have never been to our home, or those who don't come often.

It's just nice being in the presence of the saints, and having it there to always remind you where your thoughts should be.

I hope I am in no way coming off as being pious, I am anything but, thus my need to be constantly reminded of the church in my life Grin

You have the sickness.
The cure is in the Holy Orthodox Church.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »

Just a note about how using the search function or google saves creating a new thread.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »

Just a note about how using the search function or google saves creating a new thread.

You do know you just posted in a thread nearly 4 years old? (and so did I!) Tongue

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »

Sometimes I post in threads that are even older, just for the kick I get out of bumping old threads (don't tell the mods)  angel

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »

Sometimes I post in threads that are even older, just for the kick I get out of bumping old threads (don't tell the mods)  angel

Yes but, sometimes things asleep should stay asleep -bedroom or not.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »

As my dad and step-mum are not Christian, every icon I have is in my room.

Unfortunately I don't have enough hooks for the all so some sit on my desk or in my cupboard which is admittedly not ideal but I have nowhere else I may put them Huh

Buy more hooks!  Grin
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »

necrothreadophile!  laugh
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 06:01:16 PM »

(don't tell the mods)  angel

It's ok to resurrect old threads; just don't expect responses.  That's the nice thing about having the OC.net "Old Timers" resurrect the threads; at least they know that Linus7 and TomS aren't going to respond to a response to/critique of their posts.

---------------------
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 06:34:50 PM »

Is it also an Orthodox custom to have a crucifix above the bed you sleep in?

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Margaret S.

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 07:08:31 PM »

I have several icons on the shelves in my bedroom and especially one icon of the Pantocrator on the side wall above my futon at a height I can reach out and touch in the night if I want.

I see nothing wrong in having an icon where you are nude or indeed anything else. He designed you. He thinks your nakedness beautiful and your plumbing rather neat. We are not Muslims needing to fret over whether or not the loo faces Medina (or whatever).

Regards,
Margaret
in Edinburgh
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 07:19:29 PM »

ah, quite Australian response.

Not to be indelicate when I was married (divorced now) we had icons (including those from our marriage) in our bedroom and the Crucfix I got from Jerusalem above the bed where we did our doodling.

I remember this post: #16 of 15217 (er, 15218), my first day posting here and less than 1/2 day from the first post.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:21:29 PM by ialmisry » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 07:30:54 PM »

Is it also an Orthodox custom to have a crucifix above the bed you sleep in?

Just as a FYI, there often is no single correct 'Orthodox' answer to many of the questions raised by converts or those making inquiries about customs found within Orthodoxy. Our historical geographical and cultural diversity has produced a variety of differing reverential customs and penitential practices that some of us find 'normal' and others find unusual or 'foreign' - or if we really can't answer the question then horror of horrors ---it must be a Latinization!  Smiley

For example, in parts of Eastern  Europe where Latin Catholics, Orthodox and later, Eastern Catholic peoples lived in close proximity it was not uncommon for larger villages to have churches of both the east and west, hence there was a certain amount of pious cross-pollination for lack of a better word. In other areas, there was Germanicic, Scandinavian or even Muslim cultural influence (not religious of course) that may have spread over to certain local customs or artistic forms. In places like Greece there was a predominant Orthodox culture. Hence, depending upon a responding poster's background, you can expect different answers to questions involving custom.

Questions as to the essence of the Faith however will produce a fairly uniform range of answers. Sometimes it is tough for us to distinguish between Faith and custom so prepare to be confused!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »

She asking if Icon's are fine to be put in the washroom/Bathroom.....I say No absolutly not because, there considered windows to heaven .... Grin

At the moment, we have just the San Damiano Cross in our bedroom, but prior to our move we had an icon of Christ and the Theotokos on our respective sides of the bed (these are now in the icon corner in the living room).  My wife won't let me use a lampada after lights out, but I while a bachelor I certainly had lots of icons in my bedroom and always fell asleep to the soft, red light of a votive candle in addition to the single bright light from a Old Believer-style lamp.  I used to have terrible nightmares at that time and the single, bright little flame would help me forget them and go back to sleep after I would wake up screaming.

By all means, put them in your bedroom, most certainly if you pray there.

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 08:36:22 PM »

She asking if Icon's are fine to be put in the washroom/Bathroom.....I say No absolutly not because, there considered windows to heaven .... Grin

I would agree that icons are windows to heaven, but not for heaven's sake - that is, heaven doesn't need the windows, we do.  I think that it is perfectly appropriate for an icon to be in the washroom/bathroom, because it's purpose (leading to prayer, building the relationship with the Lord) can be served quite well in there.

---------------------
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »

A few thoughts... First, if you are worried about God seeing you naked, just get dressed and do the funky monkey with your significant other underneath the covers (a big, thick comforter works best); God wouldn't violate our privacy by looking underneath the covers. Second, necrothreadophile, yes, that word will work quite nicely! Third, I agree with Fr. George about getting a response... if in doubt, you can always check their profile and see when the last time they were on was. Fourth, regarding the bathroom, it would be a travesty to put icons in the bathroom! Men go to the bathroom to read manly magazines about cars and guns and deer hunting, not to pray. Fifth, my icon corner is in my bedroom, but since I sold me bed and now sleep in my living room on the couch it doesn't really matter.

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 08:53:50 PM »

I would agree that icons are windows to heaven, but not for heaven's sake - that is, heaven doesn't need the windows, we do.  I think that it is perfectly appropriate for an icon to be in the washroom/bathroom, because it's purpose (leading to prayer, building the relationship with the Lord) can be served quite well in there.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »

I would agree that icons are windows to heaven, but not for heaven's sake - that is, heaven doesn't need the windows, we do.  I think that it is perfectly appropriate for an icon to be in the washroom/bathroom, because it's purpose (leading to prayer, building the relationship with the Lord) can be served quite well in there.

LOL. For those who do not know, it's a palindrome written around ancient baptismal fonts:  Νίψον ἀνομήματα, μὴ μόναν ὄψιν "Wash [my] sins, not only [my] face"

Nipson anomēmata mē monan opsin (Greek: Νίψον ἀνομήματα, μὴ μόναν ὄψιν), meaning "Wash the sins, not only the face,"[1] or "Wash my transgressions, not only my face,"[2] is a Greek palindromic phrase which was inscribed upon a holy water font outside the church of Hagia Sophia in Constantinople.[3] The phrase is attributed to Saint Gregory of Nazianzus.[2]

The inscription can also be found above the Hagiasma ("Holy Spring") of the Church of St. Mary of Blachernae in Istanbul; around the baptismal font at St. Mary's Church, Nottingham; the font of several churches in Paris, e.g., St. Stephen d’Egres, St. Vincent de Paul, St. Martin des Champs, St. Pierre de Chaillot, Notre-Dame-des-Victoiress; at St. Menin’s Abbey, Orléans; at Dulwich College; and at the following churches: Worlingworth (Suffolk), Harlow (Essex), Knapton (Norfolk), St Martin, Ludgate (London), and Hadleigh (Suffolk).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipson_anomemata_me_monan_opsin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:14:34 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »

Every priest I have ever known says icons do not go in the toilet room.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 09:26:47 PM »

Every priest I have ever known says icons do not go in the toilet room.

Meet Fr. George...

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »

Peter: I'm looking for some toilet training books.
Salesman: We have the popular "Everybody Poops", or the less popular "Nobody Poops But You".
Peter: Well, you see, we're Catholic...
Salesman: Ah, then you'll want "You're a Naughty, Naughty Boy, And That's Concentrated Evil Coming Out The Back Of You".

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »

Peter: I'm looking for some toilet training books.
Salesman: We have the popular "Everybody Poops", or the less popular "Nobody Poops But You".
Peter: Well, you see, we're Catholic...
Salesman: Ah, then you'll want "You're a Naughty, Naughty Boy, And That's Concentrated Evil Coming Out The Back Of You".

LOL. I saw "Everybody Poops," a book that had to come out of Japan, where the late Showa's bowel movements during his illness made front page news.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »

What's is the world  coming too....A Serbian Priest blessed the House Many Many Times,But never did he go into the washroom/Bathroom to bless it.......Thats one room he passed by...... Grin

Maybe it's a new versus old....... Grin

New Calendar Clergy may Bless and allow icons in washroom/Bathroom, Old Calendar Priests don't  Bless or allow Holy Icons in washrooms/Bathrooms they have be placed in a prominent and respectful place......... Grin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:07:36 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 10:48:45 PM »

What's is the world  coming too....A Serbian Priest blessed the House Many Many Times,But never did he go into the washroom/Bathroom to bless it.......Thats one room he passed by...... Grin

Maybe it's a new versus old....... Grin

New Calendar Clergy may Bless and allow icons in washroom/Bathroom, Old Calendar Priests don't  Bless or allow Holy Icons in washrooms/Bathrooms they have be placed in a prominent and respectful place......... Grin
Bathrooms in many modern houses are very ornate and architecturally complex, not dank, dark, nasty places of old.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »

A few thoughts... First, if you are worried about God seeing you naked, just get dressed and do the funky monkey with your significant other underneath the covers (a big, thick comforter works best); God wouldn't violate our privacy by looking underneath the covers. Second, necrothreadophile, yes, that word will work quite nicely!
Oh, come now! God has been watching marital relations for thousands of years. He created us this way.

As for Him not looking underneath the covers,

"O Heavenly King, the Paraclete, the Spirit of Truth who are in all places and fill all things..." laugh

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 02:19:15 AM »

I never seen a washroom in a Serbian Orthodox Church build from the ground up...Can't speak for the serbian Churches that are purchased from catholic or protestant groups...washrooms are always located in the church school/hall a seperate building from the church....

Here in Chicago a Greek Orthodox Church St. George about 2700 North Shefield .has washrooms in the basement Church hall under the same roof as the church....... Shocked
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:35:53 AM by stashko » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 02:25:39 AM »

Oh, come now! God has been watching marital relations for thousands of years. He created us this way.

As for Him not looking underneath the covers,

"O Heavenly King, the Paraclete, the Spirit of Truth who are in all places and fill all things..." laugh

Well if he could see what we were doing, I bet he looked away out of modesty a lot, because... well... nevermind, this probably isn't the place to discuss it!  Tongue Kiss angel police

I never seen a washroom in a Serbian Orthodox Church build from the ground up...Can't speak for the serbian Churches that are purchased from catholic or protestant groups...There always located in the church school/hall a seperate building from the church....

Here in Chicago a Greek Orthodox Church has a washroom in the basement Church hall under the same roof as the church....... Shocked

I'm fairly sure that every parish I've been to here in the US had a bathroom in the same building as the main Church. And most of them were built by Orthodox, not bought from those evil Catholics/Protestants.  Wink

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 05:31:16 AM »

I am sure most folks here know about an episode from the show "Curb your Enthusiasm."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCodaoMt8XE

This is what might happen, a strong possibility if we place icons or images in bathrooms. Well, that's just my opinion Undecided (I hope no one is offended by the clip, if so, I apologize)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:38:34 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 09:59:01 AM »

Just when you think you could never find a topic to top the one you just left which splits off in a dumb direction with the oddest comments....... Wink
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 04:44:05 AM »

Well,  I would have to say that many people take their last breaths in their bathroom. What better reason to have an icon in there?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56:09 AM »

I'm fairly sure that every parish I've been to here in the US had a bathroom in the same building as the main Church. And most of them were built by Orthodox, not bought from those evil Catholics/Protestants.  Wink

Oh my! So besides pews, beardless priests and wrong calendars now we have to deal with bathrooms. Shocked

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 06:12:30 AM »

That's Correct   .....I've Yet to see a Serbian Orthodox Church Build Brand New with a Washroom located on the side somewhere......
When Land is Purchased There's usually a building on it ,or a Quonset hut is put up, that serves as a temporary Church .....Till the new one is built.....

I'm fairly sure that every parish I've been to here in the US had a bathroom in the same building as the main Church. And most of them were built by Orthodox, not bought from those evil Catholics/Protestants.  Wink

Oh my! So besides pews, beardless priests and wrong calendars now we have to deal with bathrooms. Shocked
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:13:27 AM by stashko » Logged

quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »

Asteriktos, thank you for bumping this up - my parents purchased a beautiful Icon of the Holy Theotokos for Christmas - perfect for my nightstand, but I was wondering if putting it there was appropriate.  But I often pray there at night in bed on my way to sleep and always when I am waking up.  Your timing and choice was perfect! Smiley

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »

I live in a house with two roommates. My bedroom is the only place I have where I can put icons and pray right now.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »

I have a full icon corner in my bedroom.  I pray there, and it's the only place in the house where I can have privacy.  I also have a small icon corner (with 3 icons) at my father's house.   

I wake up and go to bed praying, and I do this in my bedroom.  unless I build a house chapel in my house like some members of this forum, I will continue to pray in my bedroom.   Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags: icons bedroom marriage 
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: