OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 03:18:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the difference between worry beads and a prayer rope?  (Read 2236 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: November 06, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »

I keep hearing about how Greeks carry around something called 'worry beads'.  Are these the same thing as a prayer rope (Komvoskini/Tchotki)?  If not the same thing, what are they used for?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:17:25 PM »

I keep hearing about how Greeks carry around something called 'worry beads'.  Are these the same thing as a prayer rope (Komvoskini/Tchotki)?  If not the same thing, what are they used for?

Worry beads are just that. People use them to pass time while sitting at a cafe or with friends. They take the edge off. Similar to a cigarette or good cigar. One releases there anxieties with them. They have no religious purpose.
A prayer rope is knotted 33 times with the symbol of the cross for every rounded knot and a Jesus prayer for each cross. Each knot looks like a ball and there are 33 of them as well.  Monks often make them for there spiritual children. One typically carries a prayer rope from their spiritual father or mother. The prayers are for the person wearing the rope. (Short version)

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »

I see. Thank you Demetrios.  Do people ever use their worry beads to say prayers with? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:02:56 AM »

I see. Thank you Demetrios.  Do people ever use their worry beads to say prayers with? 

Doubt it, at least in Greece. However, many other cultures have worry beads of one kind or another. They are everywhere from the Mediterranean to Asia Minor to the Middle East to Asia. Maybe some of those other peoples use them for religious reasons as well.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 07:32:27 AM »

Do people ever use their worry beads to say prayers with? 
No.
Greeks never use beads for prayer, only knots. This custom developed because, unlike beads, knots make no noise when used for prayer.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:32:49 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags: chotki prayer rope Turkified Greeks 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: