OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 11:38:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about the name and patron saint  (Read 3105 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: November 02, 2007, 10:48:18 AM »

I was not sure in what section to ask, so, moderators, please move if this isn't appropriate here.

A very young student from my university, an 18 y.o. freshman called Ashley, expressed a strong interest in Orthodoxy. She is a member of a Baptist youth group that calls themselves "Secret Saints"; as a "secret saint," she was responsible for keeping in touch with a faculty member - me in her case, - and making sure this faculty member stays on the "straight and narrow"; as we talked, she suddenly became very interested in Orthodoxy, asked me tons of questions, etc.

I am wondering, who could be her patron saint?

Thank you!

George

Love never fails.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 11:11:55 AM »

ASHLEY

Usage: English

Pronounced: ASH-lee   
From an English surname which was originally derived from a place name meaning "ash tree clearing" in Old English. Until the 1960s it was more commonly given to boys in the United States, but it is now most often used on girls.
http://www.behindthename.com/name/ashley

Not sure there is one. Perhaps under a western listing, maybe.

There was a sixteenth century RC Jesuit and martyr, but no Orthodox that I can find.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:14:23 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:24:22 AM »

Perhaps she has a middle name of a saint?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:28:17 AM »

Perhaps for a 'saint clue', you could find her birth day.

Or, sometimes no particular saint seems to be the 'right fit' with adult converts, until a baptism/chrismation date is set...and one of the saints of that day just seems to leap out of the list.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:28:36 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »

Thank you all so much for your replies! I'll ask her about her middle name next week.

Love never fails.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 10:49:40 PM »

Pray for a saint to reveal himself/herself to you on behalf of her.  You never know...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 04:35:16 PM »

Just heard from her that her middle name is Renae, and her birthday is March 26. --G.

Love never fails.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 05:31:12 PM »

I doubt you will find a match for "Ashley."  The closest I can find for "Renae" is St. Renatus (Rene d'Anjou, bishop in France and Italy, c. 422).

Based on experience, I recommend choosing a saint with an easily obtained icon.  In the long run, this will be more important than matching a saint to her given name.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:01:32 AM »

Saints honored on March 26 that are listed on www.goarch.org include:

Synaxis in honor of the Archangel Gabriel (Gabrielle?)
26 Martyrs in Crimea
Irenaeus the Hieromartyr of Hungary

We recently chrismated an Ashley as an adult, now that I think of it! Her godparents went with her middle name that is also the godmother's mother, and goes by Eleni.

Also, Renae could easily become Irini, and it'd be wonderful to have St. Irene or St. Irene Chrysovalantou as your patron!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:24:54 AM »

Thank you so much, Fr. Chris. I'll pass this on to Ashley Renae. --G

Love never fails.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 09:28:05 AM »

i-RENAE-us (Irenaeus) looks like you have found one. It has all of the text of her name.  Often priests that I have met look for names that are found in the name or sound like the name therefore William or Bill become Basil or Vasili for example. In  my parish one does not have to choose a patron Saint of the same sex, my wife's Patron Saint is Patrick---her name is Patricia. My Daughter was born on December  6, her given name is  Nichole in honor of her Patron St. Nicholas.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:28:40 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Reader KevinAndrew

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 02:26:16 PM »

I have asked this question before and have never received much of an answer on other forums. Is it a non-standard practice to take on a patron saint's name in Orthodoxy?

I ask this because in the Antiochian Patriarchate, I have seen priests from the old country with names like Farid, Adbullah, Fawaz, Ghassan, etc.

I got lambasted for even suggesting that it was an option of piety and not required, when a person said they were changing their legal name to their patron saint's name a week post-chrismation.

When I see that there arer priests and deacons with names like the above, it tells me that taking on a saint's name or changing your name to a saint's name is not done all across Orthodoxy.

BTW, Metroplitan PHILIP's name before being consecrated bishop was Abdullah. So he was Father Abdullah Saliba before being bishop.

Any thoughts or clarifications on this practice or areas of Orthodoxy where this is not necessarily practised?

Thanks,
 In Christ,
Reader Kevin
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 02:41:48 PM »

Well I suppose I am qualified to answer.

I was baptized and chrismated on August 19 of this year. My legal name is Torrey Jackson Gilday so my patron saint, St. John the Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Fran, is my patron saint. My parents did not follow me in my conversion.

I prefer to be called John with anything church-related. John, Ivan, Yvan etc. When I receive Communion, Father says John Torrey or Ivan Torrey depending on the day. For the most part, this is how the priests refer to me. There are a few who call me John which is what I prefer.

I have considered changing my legal name. My parents have naturally expressed their disapproval, but in the end I suppose it is my decision. It is not a requirement in my jurisdiction, and I know many cradle Orthodox whose legl name is not the name of their siant.

In Christ
John

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 02:45:46 PM »

I have asked this question before and have never received much of an answer on other forums. Is it a non-standard practice to take on a patron saint's name in Orthodoxy?

I ask this because in the Antiochian Patriarchate, I have seen priests from the old country with names like Farid, Adbullah, Fawaz, Ghassan, etc.

I got lambasted for even suggesting that it was an option of piety and not required, when a person said they were changing their legal name to their patron saint's name a week post-chrismation.

When I see that there arer priests and deacons with names like the above, it tells me that taking on a saint's name or changing your name to a saint's name is not done all across Orthodoxy.

BTW, Metroplitan PHILIP's name before being consecrated bishop was Abdullah. So he was Father Abdullah Saliba before being bishop.

Any thoughts or clarifications on this practice or areas of Orthodoxy where this is not necessarily practised?

Thanks,
 In Christ,
Reader Kevin

Dear Reader Kevin,

I don't have an answer to your question but I can shed some light on why you have heard so many non-saint sounding first names among the Arab Orthodox. Many in the middle east were and are given names that Muslims might use because of the persecution factor. Some of my Arab Christian friends were harassed even if they wore their baptismal cross in public. But if you were to define Abdullah it means 'servant of Allah' (Arab Orthodox Christians also refer to God as Allah). The meaning isn't so off the mark for an Orthodox Christian.
My father confessor's name is Samer (a common Arab male name). He was born in Syria but when he was going to be ordained he expected the Patriarch of Antioch would pick a saint's name for him. Instead, the patriarch told him,"Claim the name 'Samer' for the church by becoming a saint." No pressure there...huh?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:57:07 PM by Tamara » Logged
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »

My oldest boy, Ryan, was not quite 8 when we came into the Church. Our priest at the time was meeting with him privately before his Chrismation, and att his time Father told him that, as far as he knew, there was no St. Ryan in the Church.

Father then let us know that our 7 yo's response to this was "Then it is up to me to become the first St. Ryan known in the Church".

I'm just documenting this in case a future hagiographer some day wants to document the early family life of St. Ryan of Alabama... Smiley

George1981

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 02:39:04 AM »

Hello,
I am George from Tbilisi, Georgia (former Soviet country) at the border of Eastern Europe and Western Asia on the Black Sea coast. I am Eastern Orthodox Christian and parish of Georgian Orthodox Church. I would like to discuss about Christianity on this forum and make new friends.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:40:16 AM by George1981 » Logged
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 02:41:47 AM »

A warm welcome to you, George! I am an Italian-American living in Boston, USA.
George1981

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 02:52:20 AM »

A warm welcome to you, George! I am an Italian-American living in Boston, USA.
Thank you so much.  Smiley
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 03:09:05 AM »

I remember my frustrating days when I believed my name was just a pagan slavic name. Turns out it's related to Sergio, Sergei, St Sergius the Martyr of Syria.  I guess the Spelling and ending of my name sort of kept me offtrack for a while (Srdjan). I discovered the conneciton merely by coincidence as I looked on my Serbian Church calender and discovered a St Srdja in October!

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 08:34:40 AM »

Hello,
I am George from Tbilisi, Georgia (former Soviet country) at the border of Eastern Europe and Western Asia on the Black Sea coast. I am Eastern Orthodox Christian and parish of Georgian Orthodox Church. I would like to discuss about Christianity on this forum and make new friends.

Welcome, batono George! Good to have you here, brother. I am Ukrainian, currently in the USA. You and I have the same patron saint.

Love never fails.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 04:29:40 AM »

Hello,
Welcome to the forum, brother George!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: