OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:06:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox to Catholic and vice versa  (Read 1998 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: November 16, 2007, 08:00:50 PM »

I don't know if I am getting this idea from a biased point of view or from good old anecdotal evidence but does there seem to be more conversions from Catholicism to Orthodoxy then Orthodox converting to Catholicism?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 08:13:41 PM »

Within what span of time? This year? Since 1054? 1204? 1453?

It's also important to remember that this board is self selective in that it is convert-heavy; therefore this may skew your perception.

Finally, because Roman Catholics outnumber Orthodox people 4:1, there is a greater potential of Catholic converts to Orthodoxy outnumbering Orthodox converts to Catholicism.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Joseph-James

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

tonsured reader

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 06:37:29 PM »

I agree with Fr Chris about the likelihood of Catholic to Orthodox being greater because of the numbers, but I'd also say that the longer someone is Orthodox the less likely they are to go Catholic, because of differing theology, economia, fasting, calendars, and so on, assuming they have taken Orthodoxy to heart. It is just too big a stretch to leave all that most of the time.

Jim
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 12:55:27 PM »

I belong to one of the largest Parishes in the OCA. I would guess about 25% of the congregation is former RC.

But there is another issue to consider. When someone coverts to a religion like Mormonism from the RCC or an Evengelical community or such the like, I bet they are Catholics who have fallen away from the faith for the most part. On the other hand, Roman Catholics who become Orthodox are...just that, becoming more Orthodox. We are more likely to get pious Catholics, not so much those who are inactive or who have lost their faith.

Marc

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 05:06:26 PM »

We are more likely to get pious Catholics, not so much those who are inactive or who have lost their faith.

This is true...my own observation is that it seems the converts we receive from Catholicism are those who tend to be pious, 'not your average bear' Catholic. They often describe themselves to me as 'contemplative' or a similar adjective.

This is differentiated from many Protestant converts, who tend to be those who have studied history to a greater extent than your 'average' Protestant.

From other faiths, the Islamic converts we have here are largely from marriage to an Orthodox Christian. Jewish and pagan (Wiccan) converts we've seen are more from a Protestant viewpoint---they study the history and then make a decision. I think the same for former Buddhists and Hindus.

Just my observations, so far.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Catholig

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:37:24 PM »

Does anyone here have any stats?

Catholig
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 12:10:50 PM »

Does anyone here have any stats?

Catholig

I don't think you will find any, for the simple reason I don't think any Orthodox Church keeps stats on what her converts are converting from.  So it would mostly be anecdotal.  In the bio's of the clergy you would find some information.  My present Bishop Mark was baptized in the Latin Church and then after a stint with the Pentacostals became Orthodox.  My past Bishop (I'm in a new jurisdiction) Bishop Job converted from under Rome to Orthdoxy.

On the other side you might get some idea of the Orthodox submitting to Rome by converts to the various sui juris jurisdictions. Trouble is that you would miss those who go all the way Latin rite.  I understand they're not supposed to do that, according to the official read of the canons, but I personally know it happens.

Going by country wouldn't help much: for example in Ireland there are a lot of converts, but there are a lot of immigrants, so the official stats on the number of Orthodox won't help.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: