OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:34:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hell on earth  (Read 1728 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: November 01, 2007, 02:25:38 PM »

For all those doubters as to the literal existence of hell, I think I have found it.  Tongue  I was reading about Turkmenistan (Heohrij probably remembers the old Советский Союз series of books about each republic, which are actually really nice books once one sifts through a bit of Soviet propaganda).  Apparently there are these gas craters in the middle of the desert that spew out gas and fire.   

If you are interested in odd natural phenomena, these pictures and videos might interest you:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TEjoga1yrn0
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:27:11 PM by Νεκτάριος » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 03:41:18 PM »

Oh my...

As far as Turkmenistan goes, it's an interesting country now. The former General Secretary of the Politburo of the Turkmen Communist Party is now the absolute monarch, whom the people are supposed to call Turkmen-bashi ("the main Turkmen"), and "The father of all Turkmens."

A while ago, on one ex-Soviet Web forum the audience was given a quiz. Somebody quoted "commandments," some of which sounded very much like Biblical commandments, of the kind, "thou shalt not steal," "honor thy father and thy mother," etc. Other passages sounded somewhat more "modern," like, "thou shalt not dodge the draft, nor shalt thou get involved in narcotics trafficking." The audience was asked, what's the source. The correct answer was - a book recently written by Turkmen-bashi and printed in several million copies. It is supposed to be a household item for every Turkmen family and a textbook for every Turkmen schoolchild. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 03:41:48 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 06:45:57 PM »

Oh my...

As far as Turkmenistan goes, it's an interesting country now. The former General Secretary of the Politburo of the Turkmen Communist Party is now the absolute monarch, whom the people are supposed to call Turkmen-bashi ("the main Turkmen"), and "The father of all Turkmens."

Actually, he died last year. Interesting dictator to say the least.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:57:30 PM »

where does the fire come from?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 09:36:53 PM »

where does the fire come from?

Apparently Soviet gas exploration gone wrong is the root of this.  The flame is continually fed by gas coming up to the ground (Turkmenistan has some of the largest gas reserves in the world) and nobody seems interested in spending the money, resources etc. to fix the problem since it is in such an isolated area. 
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 09:55:27 PM »

Looks more like a Soviet mishap with a nuclear war head.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:15:20 PM »

Anyone know if that is ice on the ground outside? I would think that place might be just like a nice bonfire to hang out at.  Maybe not.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 11:53:07 PM »

Apparently it can freeze during the winter in the nearest big city. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashgabat#Climate
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 12:55:05 AM »

Apparently it can freeze during the winter in the nearest big city. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashgabat#Climate
Great!  Hell freezes over every winter. Wink
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 01:16:23 AM »

Apparently Soviet gas exploration gone wrong is the root of this.  The flame is continually fed by gas coming up to the ground (Turkmenistan has some of the largest gas reserves in the world) and nobody seems interested in spending the money, resources etc. to fix the problem since it is in such an isolated area. 

LOL!  We spent how many billions in the Middle East purifying oil and the oil getting process, and here it is just burning in another corner of the world and no one cares....fantastic. 

Sorry, didn't mean to make it political, just thought it was ironic. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 01:39:14 AM »

LOL!  We spent how many billions in the Middle East purifying oil and the oil getting process, and here it is just burning in another corner of the world and no one cares....fantastic. 

Sorry, didn't mean to make it political, just thought it was ironic. 

The real problem with Turkmen (and Kazakh and Uzbek) energy exports is there is no way to export it.  Because of embargoes it can't go through Iran and with the way how things are going in Russia that isn't an option either.  So they are essentially sitting on goldmines but with no way to cash in until the political situation of their neighbors' calms down. 

And to tie this into an Orthodox topic that isn't solely political - one of the biggest losers in the latest round of sanctions on Iran is Armenia.  When Russia closed its border with Georgia and cut off energy supplies, Armenia also lost its energy supplies.  Its borders with Turkey and Azerbaijan are closed - leaving Georgia and Iran as its only neighboring trading partners.   

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 01:09:49 PM »

The real problem with Turkmen (and Kazakh and Uzbek) energy exports is there is no way to export it.  Because of embargoes it can't go through Iran and with the way how things are going in Russia that isn't an option either.  So they are essentially sitting on goldmines but with no way to cash in until the political situation of their neighbors' calms down. 

And to tie this into an Orthodox topic that isn't solely political - one of the biggest losers in the latest round of sanctions on Iran is Armenia.  When Russia closed its border with Georgia and cut off energy supplies, Armenia also lost its energy supplies.  Its borders with Turkey and Azerbaijan are closed - leaving Georgia and Iran as its only neighboring trading partners.
At least Georgia is Orthodox. Any word on whether the two nations could possibly ship energy through Istanbul? With both nations on the Black Sea, they could potentially make a lot of money...but they'd be dependent on the good will of Turkey.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 01:12:28 PM »

At least Georgia is Orthodox. Any word on whether the two nations could possibly ship energy through Istanbul? With both nations on the Black Sea, they could potentially make a lot of money...but they'd be dependent on the good will of Turkey.

Good luck.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 07:39:32 AM »

^Indeed.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: