OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:26:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jury duty  (Read 9021 times) Average Rating: 0
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2007, 12:14:42 PM »

Tell them you have any of a plethora of gold rush era diseases, like the typhoid, or the cholera, or dysentary.

Will that help me stop making inappropriate peer-to-teen choice award whatevers?   Wink
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:17:23 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2007, 04:06:03 AM »

I think we are veering off a bit. But just for the sake of this discussion I will ansewer you.
Well. He was God and choose not to distroy his accusers. Along those lines there were countless martars in the faith that once they were stricken on the cheek, offered the other cheek as well. That my friend is inaction.
We could argue semantics all day if you want, but let's not go there. Wink

A question I have for you:  Do you REALLY want our advice, or do you just want to argue with us why we should embrace your way of thinking? Cool
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 04:08:37 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2007, 09:38:37 AM »

We could argue semantics all day if you want, but let's not go there. Wink

A question I have for you:  Do you REALLY want our advice, or do you just want to argue with us why we should embrace your way of thinking? Cool

Funny. laugh
I like to reinforce my believes through debate and maybe learn a thing or two while there. Wink

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2007, 04:21:48 PM »

Sorry for putting you on the spot Cleveland. I have a way of weaseling things out of people.  :-There certainly will be a judgement and a resurrection of all. Whether that judgement leads to death is another issue.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2007, 10:08:54 PM »

So than you agree that the prostitute is the one judging herself?

Sorry for the late response: I didn't even see this post.

I can't imagine that she is the one judging herself.  Judgment was carried out when it was demonstrated to the mob that she was an adulteress: either her husband/betrothed came with the accusation, or her father, or her lover.  They may have had evidence.  But judgment happened long before she got to where Jesus was.  In fact, judgment is precisely why she was where Jesus was - the mob had taken her to execute the sentence required by the judgment (which, before Christ intervened, there was the strictest of sentencing guidelines - specific punishments for each crime with no leeway, unlike most modern law systems which give options for most crimes, i.e. anywhere between 10 and 20 years, parole or no parole, etc.).  In their time, judgment was probably carried out by the Rabbi of the town in accordance with the Torah, or by some other town official (sorry, I'm not too familiar with Jewish jurisprudence at the turn of the 1st century AD). 

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2007, 11:27:17 PM »

Sorry for the late response: I didn't even see this post.

I can't imagine that she is the one judging herself.  Judgment was carried out when it was demonstrated to the mob that she was an adulteress: either her husband/betrothed came with the accusation, or her father, or her lover.  They may have had evidence.  But judgment happened long before she got to where Jesus was.  In fact, judgment is precisely why she was where Jesus was - the mob had taken her to execute the sentence required by the judgment (which, before Christ intervened, there was the strictest of sentencing guidelines - specific punishments for each crime with no leeway, unlike most modern law systems which give options for most crimes, i.e. anywhere between 10 and 20 years, parole or no parole, etc.).  In their time, judgment was probably carried out by the Rabbi of the town in accordance with the Torah, or by some other town official (sorry, I'm not too familiar with Jewish jurisprudence at the turn of the 1st century AD). 

I actually had this in mind when I posted.
  After she was let off the hook by Christ. She stopped sinning.This is what I mean by her judging herself. Christ didn't judge her but instead caused her to turn from her evil ways. She could have easily returned to her old ways. As the bible states. We judge ourselves so we won't be judged.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: