OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 08:19:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful Video  (Read 2185 times) Average Rating: 0
Seekingthetruth

Elder Philotheos Zervakos

« on: October 29, 2007, 05:34:17 PM »

I just did a random search for 'coptic Orthodox' in google video, and found this amazing video. I thought I would share it with you.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5082340622560171168&q=coptic+orthodox&total=816&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
Sophia

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:08:03 PM »

I wept. Truly beautiful video. Thanks for posting.

Grace and peace of our Lord be with you.

Sophia

Luk 9: And an argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest.  John answered, Master, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he does not follow with us.  But Jesus said to him, Do not forbid him; for he that is not against you is for you.
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:38:19 PM »

While the movie The Passion of the Christ is very moving emotionally, it fails to really enter into the genuine Orthodox understanding of the Crucifixion.
The following is a quote from Hiermonk Jonah, Abbot of the Monastery of St. John of San Francisco:

The Cross of Christ – Reflections on the Meaning of Christ’s Suffering

“Multitudes of Americans have flocked to see The Passion of the Christ, Mel Gibson’s graphic depiction of the last hours of the Lord Jesus.  This film depicts the sufferings of Jesus in a radical way, and is nearly impossible to watch in its brutality.  It is a kind of an icon in film, though interestingly an icon not found in the Orthodox Tradition.

“As Orthodox, our iconography, as well as our liturgical texts, do not dwell on the physical and psychological sufferings of the Christ.  Jesus is always depicted dead on the Cross, at peace, in a gesture of complete acceptance of all that happened to Him, and embracing all in the cosmic pronouncement of forgiveness.  ‘Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’  Neither does our theology focus on the physical suffering of Jesus as the ultimate ‘work of Christ.’  Rather, the Orthodox Tradition focuses on who Jesus is, as revealed by His work.

“While we do not downplay the sufferings of Jesus, we do see them in the context of the whole economy of salvation, as an aspect of our redemption and salvation.  It is the Son of God Incarnate who suffered in the flesh, for us and our salvation, at our hands.  As Orthodox we say, as do all other Christians, ‘He suffered and died for me, for my sins, because of my sins.’  But there is more to be said.  His suffering and death, and resurrection from the dead, reveal who He is – and who we are as well.  His Passion shows us how to endure suffering and transform it.

“The churches of the Roman Catholic tradition – papal, Protestant, evangelical, and charismatic – focus on the sufferings of Jesus as the very act of redemption.  This focus of the Western confessions comes from the theological development of their doctrine of the atonement.  This doctrine rests on presuppositions profoundly different from those of the Orthodox Tradition…”

There is much more to this article… I highly recommend reading it.

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 12:18:50 AM »

This is definately an inspiring and thought provoking video.  Thank you so much for sharing it with the rest of us, SeekingtheTruth.

Seraphim-
 I don't think it was Mel's intention to enter into the genuine Orthodox understanding of the Crucifixion, as he is Roman Catholic and would not know of such things.  Entering into a genuine Orthodox understanding is always our responsibility, right?  And although the movie Passion of the Christ is perhaps not the best springboard for discussion, I've always felt it very inspiring and helpful for me (and I know other Orthodox Christians who feel the same way.)  As regards this snippet from the article with Hieromonk Jonah

though interestingly an icon not found in the Orthodox Tradition.

It simply isn't true; I've seen an icon that depicts the scourging and carrying of the cross (what we see in the movie and what some Orthodox seem to object to) and you can too.  Just visit St Isaac the Syrian Skete website and look for the "Scourging and Carrying the Cross" icon painted in the 16th cent by Theophanes the Cretan.

In Christ,

Gabriel 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 12:19:22 AM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 12:21:34 AM »

I'm not sure where, but there was a debate on this somewhere else.  I think the whole idea of the video is a parallel of what occurs in the Liturgy with the movie.

I've personally argued if that there is an "iconic interpretation," it's strictly a Byzantine one.  Nevertheless, I'm not sure if there is a researched detail of a "Coptic iconic" interpretation, but I can venture to say that the graphic idea of suffering and guilt is very explicit in specifically our Gregorian Liturgy.

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 12:19:05 PM »

I just did a random search for 'coptic Orthodox' in google video, and found this amazing video. I thought I would share it with you.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5082340622560171168&q=coptic+orthodox&total=816&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

thats the worst and  most gross thing i've ever seen ...the movie the Passion of Christ  ......as a eastern orthodox i hated that movie .....just curious why would the  Holy oriental  coptic orthodox church recognize or accept the passion of christ movie ...when they dont recognize roman catholic baptism or the roman pope only as a heretic ....must of been a coptic catholic that blended the two togeather in that clip...thats the only thing i could think of ..... Shocked stashko

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 11:04:33 PM »

stashko
nope, that was made by a coptic orthodox christian (i personally know the maker).  actually, all the liturgical pieces are from my former parish in n. va.  concerning the film, i never quite understood why so many eastern orthodox had a problem with; but so it goes. 
shawn
pathofsolitude

Faith: Immaculately Pure Hesychastic Orthodoxy of the Old Way
Jurisdiction: Unorganized Catacomb Communion in Exile- (the bishops have lost the faith)

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 09:02:10 AM »

Thats a beautiful video. It tells us so much about Coptic theology. Just kidding Ekhristos.

The great apostasy has occured. Get out of there while you can!!! Its better to be priestless than to have a heretic bishop. The apostles taught that the church consists of saints only. There are about 7,000 Spirit-bearers currently in the catacombs.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 07:18:47 PM »

I have split off posts dealing directly with The Passion and put them in a new thread here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13321.0.html

If anyone wants to discuss whether Mel's movie was Orthodox or not, please post there. 

If anyone wants to discuss Ortiental Orthodox soteriology as compared to that of the West, you may post in another thread that is currently going:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13288.30.html

I would like to restrict this thread to comments directly related to the video linked in the original post.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.
Salpy

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: