OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 02:34:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Follow up on your advice  (Read 916 times) Average Rating: 0
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« on: November 11, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »

Dear Friends,

You all gave me some sound advice a week or so ago that really worked out very well for us at the Antiochian retreat. In fact,
it worked out so well, one of the four Coptic Orthodox ladies who attended has an expressed an interest in attending my church next week. She has two teenagers and she and her husband are trying to find a parish with an active youth group.
They have visited various Orthodox parishes in the area but have not found one they feel they can call home. The description I gave to her of our parish sounded very appealing to her so they will be visiting next Sunday.

Thank you all again.

sincerely, Tamara  Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:08:47 PM »

I'm puzzled.  Is this in Los Angeles?  If so, there are lots of Coptic parishes there, some with very active and dynamic youth groups. 

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 10:58:19 PM »

Dear Tamara,

Wouldn't that be a little inconvenient given that, as we established in the previous thread, our Churches do not generally allow inter-communion? Surely the parish one calls "home" is the parish where one is able to be an active participant in the sacramental life of that parish. Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:13:08 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:12:02 AM »

Dear Salpy,

I didn't realize one of the four ladies lives in the bay area. The other ladies are from southern California.

Dear EA,

She does realize our churches are not in communion. She explained to me that if my parish is a good fit for her family they would meet with our priest to try and understand what the differences are between the EO and OO churches. At this point in time both she and her husband do not see any significant differences.  She did ask me if I understood what the differences were between the two churches and I let her know I was not qualified to answer her questions. They were members of a small Coptic Orthodox church in the area but she indicated there were problems. I didn't ask her what the issues were but she is very concerned about the lack of English usage in both EO and OO parishes in the bay area. She and her husband have visited a variety of Eastern Orthodox parishes in this area over the last six months.

Tamara

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: