OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 05:56:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for OXI Day materials.  (Read 930 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: October 29, 2007, 03:26:10 PM »

For those who are unaware, October 28th is "OXI" (O-hee) day in Greece, commemorating the definitive "No" response given by Greek PM John Metaxas to the Italian Ambassador's request for surrender to the Italian Army in 1940.  It signaled the start of the Italo-Hellene battle of WWII, during which the very ill-equipped Greek army pushed the Italian army back 1/5 of the way through Albania.  It prompted the ire of Hitler, who was increasingly agitated with Mussolini, and forced him to divert troops in 1941 from the about-to-be-sprung campaign with Russia in order to subdue Greece.

The initial victory was so overwhelming that many of the people attributed the victory to divine intervention, and the feast of the Protection of the Theotokos was moved from its traditional Oct 1st date to Oct 28th in Greece.  It also led to the famous line from Winston Churchill, "We used to say that the Greeks fought like heroes.  From now on we must say that heroes fight like the Greeks."

I was wondering if anyone had links to materials regarding OXI day, or texts from speeches/lectures/addresses linked to the day.  I will try my best to get what I have into this thread (somehow).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »

To continue the story, it took the Nazis 10 months to subdue Greece (contrasted with 40 days for France). They never took Crete fully, the resistance there allowing the British to evacuate their forces which were used later on D-Day. Hitler used troops earmarked for the yet-to-be-opened eastern front, delaying his invasion of Russia until the onset of winter. We all know what that meant for the Nazis. Eventual defeat.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 05:26:28 PM »

Both of my grandfathers were involved in this war and defeted the Italians in Albania. My fathers, father died in the civil war following WWII. Fighting against the rebels. He was only 33 years old.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: