OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 05:55:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Western Rite Mission?  (Read 2418 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: October 29, 2007, 03:21:19 PM »

I haven't been able to find any info on the Antiochian Church website or on any of the Western Rite blogs.  Heard recently that a fledgling Western Rite mission was starting up in San Antonio, Texas.  A friend says they saw a flyer at a local bookstore announcing Liturgy.  Has anyone heard about this? 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 05:27:10 PM »

Are you sure that this is being started in San Antonio?  A priest was commenting not too long ago that a new Western Rite mission was being started in Oklahoma City.  I know those are 2 very different cities in 2 different states, but this is the only new mission I am aware of.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:43:32 AM »

Tina,

I am aware of several  non-canonical western-rite missions in San Antonio usually of the former Roman Catholic Vagante type, some with 1 Bishop and a few followers.  There is Father Aidan Keller formerly from the Milan Synod out of Austin  who had started a small mission in Austin but then was denied ordination by ROCOR  and the mission folded; he may be trying to start another mission in San Antonio without the prior luggage to hamper it---don't know if he is under anyone at this time.

Thomas
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 08:43:53 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:52:45 AM »

I would imagine y'all are right about this being something irregular and non-canonical.  We do seem to have our share of flako groups.  My favorite is the Pope John Paul II Orthodox Church & Monastery.  Their monastery and episcopal headquarters are in one old apartment near downtown.  The irony of ironies, is that when alot of the stuff blew up about Christ of the Hills Monastery, the local news interviewed and printed commentary by their "bishop" as if it was official voice of Orthodoxy. Roll Eyes

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5793/

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:03:57 AM »

If anyone knows anything on a CANONICAL Western Rite in San Antonio, please let me know ASAP!  I'm being sent there the weekend of November 16, and wanted to go to a Western Rite Parish if there was one just for moral support (I'm Arab, so Eastern).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 06:44:17 AM »

Former Charismatic Episcopal Church Priest Starts Western Rite Orthodox Mission

Kevin [Allen of The Illumined Heart (Ancient Faith Radio)] talks with ex-CEC priest - and former Evangelical - Fr Mark Wallace about his journey (along with his wife Susan) to the Eastern Orthodox Church through the Western Rite. Fr Mark's mission is Saint Andrew, the First Called Antiochian Orthodox Church, in Oklahoma City.
Source: http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart

Podcast (mp3 file): http://audio.ancientfaith.com/illuminedheart/ih_2009-05-15_pc.mp3
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:47:19 AM by Michał » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 07:33:19 AM »

There is Father Aidan Keller formerly from the Milan Synod out of Austin  who had started a small mission in Austin but then was denied ordination by ROCOR  and the mission folded; he may be trying to start another mission in San Antonio without the prior luggage to hamper it---don't know if he is under anyone at this time.

Fr Aidan left the Milan Synod and entered the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.  His Milan Orders were regularised by Cheirothesia (as were those of Father Cuthbert who also left Milan for ROCOR) in September last year by Metropolitan Hilarion  and he is now a hieromonk with the Russian Church Abroad.

Fr Aidan runs a longstanding e-group for the Western Rite, Occidentalis and it is a mine of information.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: