OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 12:09:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Protestants Christians?  (Read 21014 times) Average Rating: 0
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2007, 06:21:56 PM »

Great story! If it's okay with you, I'll tell it to Father Peter at my parish so he can relate it during his homily the next time this passage shows up in the lectionary.

Go for it; pathofsolitude not withstanding, no point in hoarding wisdom. Smiley

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2007, 06:32:54 PM »

I actually agree with you on this, Lubeltri. I think ozgeorge has made an uncharacteristic mistake in his retort, quoting a canon from the Second Ecumenical Council (when the Church could really be considered pre-divided) in an out of time context.
The Oecumenical Patriarchate receives those baptized in the Name of the Holy Trinity by Chrisimation, it keeps this Canon. What anyone else does is none of my business. Smiley

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2007, 06:35:23 PM »

The Oecumenical Patriarchate receives those baptized in the Name of the Holy Trinity by Chrisimation, it keeps this Canon. What anyone else does is none of my business. Smiley

Smiley Well, I've always liked the old boy. You can't go wrong with HAH Bartholomew.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2007, 06:51:34 PM »

But take your complaints up with the Scriptures and not with me!
Common tactic among prooftexters:
1.  Preach your spurious interpretation of the Scriptures.
2.  Point to the passages of Scripture you have selected to support your interpretation.
3.  Absolve yourself of all responsibility by saying such things as "The Bible says" or "take your complaints up with the Scriptures and not with me!"

Even if we disagree with you and deem your biblical exegesis unorthodox, our complaint is not with the Scriptures; rather, our complaint is with your selective reading of the Scriptures.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 06:52:14 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
pathofsolitude

Faith: Immaculately Pure Hesychastic Orthodoxy of the Old Way
Jurisdiction: Unorganized Catacomb Communion in Exile- (the bishops have lost the faith)

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2007, 08:28:15 PM »

To those who charge me of believing the Calvinist notion of Total Depravity-

All I said was that everyone is born worthless [=unworthy] before God, totally devoid of the Holy Spirit, and on their way to eternal perdition. Why in the world would you charge me with Calvinsim? What I said is in fact exactly what Arminian Protestants believe also! [These two groups cover most of historic Protestantism.] Arminius accepted total depravity. I guess I am Arminian then too, eh? The uniquely Calvinist version of total depravity says that a man must be monergistically regenerated by a divinely ordained zap which is given only to an arbitrarily selected group of people or else he cannot [=absolutely impossible] even make the slightest move to repentance. Is this what you think I believe? I am only confessing the doctrine of Original Sin which is actually the historic Eastern Orthodox position before the antiLatin movement picked up in the 19th century. I have read old Byzantine dogmatic manuals. And they say generally the same thing I am saying.

And for you to accuse me of Jansenism is equally outrageous. Go read what RC theologians wrote about Original Sin before VaticanII. They would all be Jansensists in your eyes. And so would the Byzantines from about 1500-1830!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 08:29:47 PM by pathofsolitude » Logged

The great apostasy has occured. Get out of there while you can!!! Its better to be priestless than to have a heretic bishop. The apostles taught that the church consists of saints only. There are about 7,000 Spirit-bearers currently in the catacombs.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »

Smiley Well, I've always liked the old boy. You can't go wrong with HAH Bartholomew.
LOL Cheesy
Actually, to be fair, the difference between those jurisdictions which baptise converts from heterodox Churches and those which don't is related to the interpretation of this Canon (Canon VII of the 2nd Ecumenical Council). The Canon seems to presume baptism by triple immersion (Eunomian baptism being rejected because it is a single immersion). The issue is not simply "who" baptizes, but also the form of the baptism. Thus, a Protestant Church which holds correct Trinitarian Dogma and which baptizes in the Name of the Holy Trinity by triple immersion has a closer form of baptism to the Orthodox Church than current Roman Catholic practice of baptism by aspersion as the norm. Constantinople simply applies more "economia" in the interpretation of the Canon.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 09:39:29 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2007, 09:51:10 PM »

Welcome pathofsolitude. I believe your definitely Orthodox. Your just not at the spiritual level as some others here yet.  Cheesy 

Do you mind quoting this scripture for me? 

But take your complaints up with the Scriptures and not with me! In fact the Lord Jesus told us that he will punish them forever by throwing them into a burning trashpit to be tormented by demons.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2007, 11:12:03 PM »

All I said was that everyone is born worthless [=unworthy] before God, totally devoid of the Holy Spirit, and on their way to eternal perdition. Why in the world would you charge me with Calvinsim? What I said is in fact exactly what Arminian Protestants believe also! [These two groups cover most of historic Protestantism.] Arminius accepted total depravity. I guess I am Arminian then too, eh? The uniquely Calvinist version of total depravity says that a man must be monergistically regenerated by a divinely ordained zap which is given only to an arbitrarily selected group of people or else he cannot [=absolutely impossible] even make the slightest move to repentance. Is this what you think I believe?
Well, considering that Jacobus Arminius followed after John Calvin, it could make sense to recognize that Arminius started from Calvin's doctrine of total depravity and, following a different emphasis, carried it to a different conclusion.  However, the common starting point just shows how Calvinist Arminius really was.

I am only confessing the doctrine of Original Sin which is actually the historic Eastern Orthodox position before the antiLatin movement picked up in the 19th century. I have read old Byzantine dogmatic manuals. And they say generally the same thing I am saying.
Potentially spurious claims...  Can you give us quotes from these dogmatic sources you deem "authoritative", along with the names of these manuals so we can cross-reference your citations?

And for you to accuse me of Jansenism is equally outrageous. Go read what RC theologians wrote about Original Sin before VaticanII. They would all be Jansensists in your eyes. And so would the Byzantines from about 1500-1830!
To paraphrase a line from the popular movie, Forrest Gump, Jansenism is what Jansenism does.  Rather than point out how we might consider our own Fathers Jansenists as defense of your position, why don't you tell us what Jansenism is and how your position differs?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 11:15:49 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2007, 11:20:30 PM »

Thats why Jesus condemned them flat out as children of the devil. And thats the practice of the Apostles as we see from several examples in the book of Acts where they did not hesitate to condemn the godless pseudoChristians in the spirit of Matthew 23.

BTW, sorry, I am catching up here on p 3 and this will get posted on p 4

Actually, Jesus condemned Pharisees and other religious leaders of his day. There were no protestants at that time. You can't anachronistically say Jesus condemned a rather large and diverse group of people who came into being 1500 years later.

You CAN say Jesus condemned this or that particular practice, attitude, sin or wrong belief (like the Sadducees not believing in the resurrection); but you can't say Jesus condemned Protestants, you have to point ot specific wrong beliefs and/or practices that Jesus condemned which protestants practice.

Also, which Protestants? the Calvinsts or the Arminians? The Baptists or Presbyterians?  You get my point.

I think a little precision ( or perhaps a lot)  in your condemnations, and further, ratcheting down these condemnations to criticisms would be helpful to us and to yourself.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2007, 11:33:50 PM »

Also, which Protestants? the Calvinsts or the Arminians? The Baptists or Presbyterians?  You get my point.

I think a little precision ( or perhaps a lot)  in your condemnations, and further, ratcheting down these condemnations to criticisms would be helpful to us and to yourself.

That's right Brother Aiden I remember I called my Uniting church friend (The Uniting church is an amalgamation between presbyterian, Methodist and the congregationalists in Australia ) got extremely offended when I referred to her as a protestant because for her it brought up negative images of fundamentalist Christians trumpeting the creation story and so forth. After that I now truly believe that there should be a distinction made between the protestant groups instead of generalizing the group (not in my life would I compare the Church of England to a pentecostal church). 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 11:37:22 PM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2007, 11:55:45 PM »

All I said was that everyone is born worthless [=unworthy] before God, totally devoid of the Holy Spirit, and on their way to eternal perdition.

Right.  And this teaching is heterodox.

I am only confessing the doctrine of Original Sin which is actually the historic Eastern Orthodox position...

No, it isn't.  You are actually reflecting a Western tendency concerning the teaching of original sin.

I have read old Byzantine dogmatic manuals. And they say generally the same thing I am saying.

You must have been reading "manuals" that date from the time of the "Western captivity" of the Greek Church, which it only painfully began to emerge from, theologically speaking, in the late 1950's.

And so would the Byzantines from about 1500-1830!

News flash.  There was no "Byzantine" state after 1453.  Morever, during the Turkocracy and the period after it, until very recently, there was not a whole lot of good theology coming forth from the Greek Church.  A great intellectual tradition died along with the East Roman (Byzantine) state.  So you've very possibly been reading a pile of scholastic garbage that is worse than that penned by Aquinas and others, since some of the Western writing at least had some original and creative thought put into it, instead of the second-rate derivative things penned by Greeks schooled in Roman or (irony of ironies!) Protestant theological schools and seminaries!

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2007, 12:18:03 AM »

I find it ironic that you've said such things about Protestants when your words sound very much like those of a Protestant...

I echo these sentiments. 

Whatever you believe, friend, do you not think that such angry generalizations about 99% of Protestants going to "burn" are perhaps not said in the right spirit of love?

And these ones.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2007, 05:47:13 AM »

Not the point, ozgeorge.  Any bishop can do this - the jurisdictions which require baptism are correct as well, or notwithstanding.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2007, 06:03:55 AM »

Not the point, ozgeorge.  Any bishop can do this - the jurisdictions which require baptism are correct as well, or notwithstanding.
Which is why I said this: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13214.msg181635.html#msg181635

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2007, 06:19:48 AM »

Yes, ozG, but "economia" is an exception made to the canons made without intent to set precedent.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2007, 06:52:12 AM »

I'm not sure I see your point. The Canon comes from the Second Ecumenical Council, two generations after the First Ecumenical Council in which Arianism was anathematized; yet the Canon says that those who had received Arian baptism were received into the Orthodox Church by Chrisimation, not Baptism- isn't this the precedent?

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2007, 07:04:47 AM »

I'm not sure I see your point. The Canon comes from the Second Ecumenical Council, two generations after the First Ecumenical Council in which Arianism was anathematized; yet the Canon says that those who had received Arian baptism were received into the Orthodox Church by Chrisimation, not Baptism- isn't this the precedent?

Arians were in error to be sure, but the canon set the precedent- this is not 'economia' - for them and other listed heretics. But this council does not cover every instance of those considered in error or outside the Church.

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2007, 07:28:07 AM »

All I said was that everyone is born worthless [=unworthy] before God, totally devoid of the Holy Spirit, and on their way to eternal perdition. Why in the world would you charge me with Calvinsim? What I said is in fact exactly what Arminian Protestants believe also! [These two groups cover most of historic Protestantism.] Arminius accepted total depravity. I guess I am Arminian then too, eh? The uniquely Calvinist version of total depravity says that a man must be monergistically regenerated by a divinely ordained zap which is given only to an arbitrarily selected group of people or else he cannot [=absolutely impossible] even make the slightest move to repentance. Is this what you think I believe? I am only confessing the doctrine of Original Sin which is actually the historic Eastern Orthodox position before the antiLatin movement picked up in the 19th century. I have read old Byzantine dogmatic manuals. And they say generally the same thing I am saying.

Dear Pathofsolitude,

First of all, I don't think anyone here was "accusing" you of anything.

Second, yes, the whole notion of original sin is Heterodox. It does sound outrageous to all who were brought up in the Western Christian tradition - both Roman Catholic and Protestant. But that's the whole point; the Orthodox Church does not teach that people are intrinsically sinful or "depraved." That was St./Bl. Augustine's interpretation of Scripture, which eastern Fathers never embraced. Their interpretation was that people were and still are intrinsically good. We sin because we are born into the world where it is easier to sin than not to sin, plus we all have a natural propensity or inclination toward sin. But we are, nonetheless, not born "sinners" or "in sin." We all have a "sparkle" of good in us, we are absolutely capable of doing good and choosing good; we still are God's most favored, most cherished creatures who can by their own effort serve God and glorify Him, and who very often do so.

Quoting selected "proof texts" and saying, "here's what the Bible says," is not Orthodox either, as far as I know.

So good to have you here. I hope and pray that you stay with us on this forum!

Best wishes,

George (not OzGeorge - a MississippiGeorge Smiley )

Love never fails.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »

George (not OzGeorge - a MississippiGeorge Smiley )

Redneck George, then? Shocked Cheesy

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2007, 08:01:52 AM »

Redneck George, then? Shocked Cheesy

Yes, a total redneck, albeit with an Eastern European accent.  Huh Undecided

Love never fails.
Sophia

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2007, 06:54:38 PM »

Amen to that Sophia!

a lowly sinner,   Juliana

Hi, Juliana!  I'm new to these boards and I look forward to learning and sharing.  Thanks for your encouragement!

Grace and peace of our Lord Christ Jesus be with you always!

Sophia

Luk 9: And an argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest.  John answered, Master, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he does not follow with us.  But Jesus said to him, Do not forbid him; for he that is not against you is for you.
Sophia

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »

Is that St. Michael Jackson? Cheesy

Oh, you're quick!   LOL!!    Could be..........'ya never know  :-)  LOL

Actually,  part of my hubby's mangement training included extensive "Diversity University" training.  This was part of the teaching in one of the many classes. 

Grace and Peace,

Sophia

Luk 9: And an argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest.  John answered, Master, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he does not follow with us.  But Jesus said to him, Do not forbid him; for he that is not against you is for you.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2007, 09:28:39 PM »

Oh, you're quick!   

Only when it comes to useless cultural references. Tongue  Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2007, 02:26:04 AM »

PathofSolitude: when I read your original post, a parable in Luke came to my mind:

Luke 18:9-14
Jesus told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, `God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, `God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."

If you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make that change!

May the Grace and Peace of our Lord Christ Jesus be with you!

Sophia

What a beautiful post. I think 99% of the time (at least for me) we are the problem, not others.
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2007, 02:50:32 AM »

Yes, a total redneck, albeit with an Eastern European accent.  Huh Undecided

You are not the only one! I have a quite noticable accent, I always get asked, are you greek? russian? but never serbian heh.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:51:09 AM by prayingserb » Logged
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2007, 12:19:01 PM »

pathofsolitude...

You have repeatedly been asked to clarify what your prior and current spiritual practice is...
and you do nothing but avoid answering.

Could you please answer this vital question before making ANY other statements?
It would be much appreciated.  Smiley

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2007, 12:52:12 PM »

pathofsolitude...

You have repeatedly been asked to clarify what your prior and current spiritual practice is...

Our friend hasn't been on since Sunday.  Give them time.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pathofsolitude

Jurisdiction: Unorganized Catacomb Communion in Exile- (the bishops have lost the faith)

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2007, 06:23:05 AM »

pathofsolitude...

Unabashed uncanonically Orthodox  Wink

The great apostasy has occured. Get out of there while you can!!! Its better to be priestless than to have a heretic bishop. The apostles taught that the church consists of saints only. There are about 7,000 Spirit-bearers currently in the catacombs.
pathofsolitude

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2007, 06:27:47 AM »

News flash.  There was no "Byzantine" state after 1453.  

Thanks for this very up-to-date information. Anything else I didnt know? Needless for me to say, the Eastern Orthodox church still calls itself, its liturgy, its theology, etc etc "Byzantine."

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2007, 06:30:08 AM »

the Eastern Orthodox church still calls itself, its liturgy, its theology, etc etc "Byzantine."
That's news to me, and I've been Greek Orthodox all my life.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2007, 06:48:34 AM »

"Byzantine" - a western term, popularized by Gibbon.

pathofsolitude

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2007, 06:56:52 AM »

Second, yes, the whole notion of original sin is Heterodox. It does sound outrageous to all who were brought up in the Western Christian tradition - both Roman Catholic and Protestant. But that's the whole point; the Orthodox Church does not teach that people are intrinsically sinful or "depraved." That was St./Bl. Augustine's interpretation of Scripture, which eastern Fathers never embraced. Their interpretation was that people were and still are intrinsically good. We sin because we are born into the world where it is easier to sin than not to sin, plus we all have a natural propensity or inclination toward sin. But we are, nonetheless, not born "sinners" or "in sin." We all have a "sparkle" of good in us, we are absolutely capable of doing good and choosing good; we still are God's most favored, most cherished creatures who can by their own effort serve God and glorify Him, and who very often do so.

To my dear George,

This is heresy!! Orthodox theologians teach that everyone is born spiritually depraved. Why do you think we baptize and chrismate babies? Whats the point if they already have the Holy Spirit? The true doctrine of Original Sin says that man is born in a state of spiritual death. Scripture calls this sin. [Harmartia= miss the mark, fall short of the glory.] Because of this sin God does not usually admit them into his kingdom until they are baptized. This is what the Orthodox church has always taught.

And how do you think that atheists are *only* intrinsically good? Talk about onesided!

Then you add the Pelagian heresy that sinners are "absolutely capable of doing and choosing good", and "can by their own effort serve God and glorify him," and "very often do so." Anathema, anathema, one thousand anathemas! All the saints teach that grace is absolutely necessary for man to cooperate in salvation. Its impossible for man to please God merely by his own effort.

Well George, I really dont know what to say to you. I hope that you and all my detractors come to your senses.

pathofsolitude

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2007, 07:03:55 AM »

"Byzantine" - a western term, popularized by Gibbon.

I guess its usage by the Eastern Orthodox is part of the socalled "western captivity" then. There is no need to squibble over terms here and get sidetracked.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2007, 07:18:30 AM »

I guess its usage by the Eastern Orthodox is part of the socalled "western captivity" then. There is no need to squibble over terms here and get sidetracked.

And you may apply that to the term "Eastern Orthodox" as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 07:18:51 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2007, 09:53:47 AM »

Disregard this.  I'm not feeding the troll.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 09:54:18 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2007, 10:16:24 AM »

To my dear George,

This is heresy!! Orthodox theologians teach that everyone is born spiritually depraved. Why do you think we baptize and chrismate babies? Whats the point if they already have the Holy Spirit? The true doctrine of Original Sin says that man is born in a state of spiritual death. Scripture calls this sin. [Harmartia= miss the mark, fall short of the glory.] Because of this sin God does not usually admit them into his kingdom until they are baptized. This is what the Orthodox church has always taught.

Dear Pathofsolitude,

I am not a cleric/theologian, so I can be mistaken, but, again, there is no notion of being born in the state of spiritual death in Orthodoxy. Instead, there is a notion of being naturally born into the world that lies in sin. We baptize and chrismate babies (or, rather, we witness God's work of baptizing and chrismating babies) so that these babies are admitted into God's new world, new humankind, or the Church.

And how do you think that atheists are *only* intrinsically good? Talk about onesided!

THat's besides the point People are never born atheists. We were talking about a total absence of anything good in a naturally born man. That is a Heterodox teaching.

Then you add the Pelagian heresy that sinners are "absolutely capable of doing and choosing good", and "can by their own effort serve God and glorify him," and "very often do so." Anathema, anathema, one thousand anathemas! All the saints teach that grace is absolutely necessary for man to cooperate in salvation. Its impossible for man to please God merely by his own effort.

Again, correct me if I am wrong, but the Pelagian heresy is, "possere non peccare." I never said that I believe that, or that the Orthodox Church teaches that. It is impossible for a human being (or, rather, for a "human becoming," because Christ is the only real, complete, accomplished human "being") to live all life and not to sin. And yes, I agree with you that God's grace is absolutely necessary. What I disagree with is that this Grace falls on a completely dead human being and acts, works in this human being, making this human being acceptable to God. That is the Augustinian soteriology, which is the foundation of both "branches" of modern Protestant theology, Calvinist and Arminian. On the other hand, the Orthodox soteriology is that a man, being intrinsically good, is born into an ill world; he lives in this world and becomes ill, but there is still a lot of good in him, and this good cooperates with God's grace, so the man begins his "theosis," or path of salvation.

Well George, I really dont know what to say to you. I hope that you and all my detractors come to your senses.

Thank you for caring. I'll gladly accept corrections of all knowledgeable people.

Love never fails.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2007, 10:22:20 AM »

Troll? Why this is the official position of the UUOC- the "Unabashedly Uncanonically Orthodox Church". Everyone knows that.  Cheesy

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2007, 10:29:10 AM »

good point, but i've found it to be very spiritually detrimental for me to scream at a wall, so to speak Smiley
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:29:26 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2007, 11:02:19 AM »

Can the troll feed us?  It's been a while since I've had a troll stew.

Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2007, 11:14:10 AM »

In all honesty, I don't think Pathofsolitude is a troll. On the Ukrainian forum "Maidan," I often read very similar posts of people who confess Eastern Rite Catholic faith. They also emphasize on the Augustinian "total depravity," and say that we, the Orthodox, should embrace this concept because "that's what the Eastern Church taught all along, not just the Roman Catholic Church."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:32:46 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2007, 12:23:16 PM »

File std. response: of course Protestants are Christians.
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2007, 01:30:01 PM »

Unabashed uncanonically Orthodox  Wink
Oxymoron  To be Orthodox is to follow the canons, which is the definition of canonical.  To be uncanonical by not following the canons makes one of necessity NOT OrthodoxYou're either uncanonical or you're Orthodox, but you cannot be both.

As far as unabashed, I can't question that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:20:37 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2007, 04:13:21 PM »

This is heresy!! Orthodox theologians teach that everyone is born spiritually depraved.

Depraved and crippled, yes.  Totally devoid of the image of God so that we are completely incapable of any good work?  No; that latter stance is NOT what Orthodox theologians teach. 

Why do you think we baptize and chrismate babies? Whats the point if they already have the Holy Spirit?

They are not said to have the Holy Spirit at birth; they are given this at baptism/chrismation.  Our understanding of Ancestral Sin, as (I think) Heorhij put it, is that we are born mortal as a consequence of our first parents' separating themselves from the Source of their (and our) life.  Since, then, a newborn infant immediately bears the mortal image of the first Adam, s/he is in need of the image of the New Adam--Christ--an image given to them in baptism.  They are thus united to Christ and brought justified into a place where they can grow in theosis.

Nowhere in this idea, however, is the idea that a newborn infant is somehow held personally culpable for the guilt of Adam's sin.  Said infant simply bears the mark of mortality merely by existing...and such an existence "falls short of the glory of God," for it is something other than an enfleshed spirit, created in the image and after the likeness of God, living in perfect communion with Life Himself.

He didn't say this.  He said there's good in them.  That's quite different than "only intrinsically good."  The atheist may have darkened his soul against God (who among us hasn't, and we're baptized Christians!), but even as an unregenerate, there still exists an image, albeit a blighted one, of our God in him.

Then you add the Pelagian heresy that sinners are "absolutely capable of doing and choosing good", and "can by their own effort serve God and glorify him," and "very often do so." Anathema, anathema, one thousand anathemas!

He didn't say this, either.  Man can choose to respond to the image of God that yet remains in him, yet the presence of this image is, in and of itself, an act of grace.

All the saints teach that grace is absolutely necessary for man to cooperate in salvation. Its impossible for man to please God merely by his own effort.

Agreed.  But Heorhij did not contradict this.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
pathofsolitude

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2007, 06:40:51 PM »

Oxymoron  To be Orthodox is to follow the canons, which is the definition of canonical.  To be uncanonical by not following the canons makes one of necessity NOT OrthodoxYou're either uncanonical or your Orthodox, but you cannot be both.

According to the establishment, yes. But I am Disestablishmentarian Orthodox. Of course thats another oxymoron to you. I really dont want to debate my ecclesiastical situation. Thats not what this thread is about.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2007, 06:57:11 PM »

According to the establishment, yes. But I am Disestablishmentarian Orthodox. Of course thats another oxymoron to you. I really dont want to debate my ecclesiastical situation. Thats not what this thread is about.
I think you'll find most here are antidisestablishmentarianists.

Thanks for giving a language teacher an excuse to use a really long word.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags: heresy Protestant Christianity 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: