OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:27:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chess  (Read 24947 times) Average Rating: 0
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »

LOL.

Seriously, maybe Nick's on the right track: does the length of time necessary to complete a game act as a deterrent?

I think so.

Pro:  You can play whenever you can and don't need to designate however many hours straight to playing.
Con:  When games are one move a day, they take forever to get done.

So it gets tedious after a while.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2008, 11:54:04 AM »

I think so.

Pro:  You can play whenever you can and don't need to designate however many hours straight to playing.
Con:  When games are one move a day, they take forever to get done.

So it gets tedious after a while. 

Would it be helpful to see what moves you've made (not just a move list, but snapshots/images)?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »

LOL.

Seriously, maybe Nick's on the right track: does the length of time necessary to complete a game act as a deterrent?
Deterrent for me?  No.  The length of time between moves does pose a serious challenge to continuity, but I think I've been able to overcome that to some degree.  The recent difficulty that stopped me from playing for a couple of months was actually Great Lent, but I've taken the game back up again now that we're in the season of Pascha.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2008, 12:03:34 PM »

Would it be helpful to see what moves you've made (not just a move list, but snapshots/images)?

I don't really think it will help all that much, because I think its more of the thought process leading up to the moves. For example, if I intended to trap your king by making 5 moves and I make 2 of them and then come back tomorrow, I probably won't remember why I'm in the position I'm in and what the other 3 moves were that I saw and formulated yesterday. Of course, that might be because I have too many things on my mind... I wonder if I need a hard drive upgrade, maybe something in the terabyte range to track all the extra data floating in my head.

-Nick
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:04:26 PM by admiralnick » Logged

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2008, 12:23:17 PM »

I don't really think it will help all that much, because I think its more of the thought process leading up to the moves. For example, if I intended to trap your king by making 5 moves and I make 2 of them and then come back tomorrow, I probably won't remember why I'm in the position I'm in and what the other 3 moves were that I saw and formulated yesterday. Of course, that might be because I have too many things on my mind... I wonder if I need a hard drive upgrade, maybe something in the terabyte range to track all the extra data floating in my head.

-Nick 

So in this case, a personal notepad (unseen by your opponent) would actually be more helpful.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »

So in this case, a personal notepad (unseen by your opponent) would actually be more helpful.

actually yea.... it would.. good thinking

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2008, 01:52:23 PM »

actually yea.... it would.. good thinking 

I'm investigating the feasibility as we speak.

---------------------
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »

Yeah, I agree with Nick. It seemed that the games that were most fun were the ones I played in one sitting. When it dragged out to two moves per day or fewer, both players became sloppy, and it wasn't as fun. A notepad would be great (I know I could do it on Microsoft's Notepad, but it's just too inconvenient to have to switch between programs).

I think another thing that would help is set times to play, with real chess clocks that have a limit not for the time between moves, but the time for all moves. Limiting the time played to, say, 10 minutes per side adds another layer of challenge to the game and actually forces both players to concentrate more, leading to a better overall experience.

I wouldn't choose this method to replace the current one, because I like the freedom to play with Australians without one of us having to be up at 3 AM. I would like the option for either an open-ended move system like we have now or a timed system a la tournament chess.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2008, 09:11:41 AM »

Hey,

Sorry, it has taken me a long time to respond.  I've been traveling a lot lately.

The next release of OC.net will feature an enhanced Chess program with the features you've indicated.

Thanks,
Robert
Cleopas
Bible Thumping, Tongue Talking, Faith Walking Christian
Elder

Jurisdiction: Charismatic Evangelical

If I'm my own Pope then I claim infalliablity. Ha!

perfecthart
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2009, 06:11:29 AM »

Uhhh, I must have missed osmething, becaue the chess tag in the nav bar is no longer viewable for me. Of course I haven;t been on in several months so...

Is the chess feature still available here? Huh
If not, if the admins/mods don't mind I have my own small chess site I would love to provide a public link for!  angel Grin

BTW, to the admins, you can change the default setting on days permitted between moves (default is set at 30) in the admin panel. If lowered (i.e. say to 2 days) this will force players to make moves on a more regular basis. Just thought you all might like to know. Smiley Wink

Cleopas
Christopher Hart

"Every one, though born of God in an instant, yet undoubtedly grows by slow degrees” -- John Wesley
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »

Uhhh, I must have missed osmething, becaue the chess tag in the nav bar is no longer viewable for me. Of course I haven;t been on in several months so...

Is the chess feature still available here? Huh
If not, if the admins/mods don't mind I have my own small chess site I would love to provide a public link for!  angel Grin

BTW, to the admins, you can change the default setting on days permitted between moves (default is set at 30) in the admin panel. If lowered (i.e. say to 2 days) this will force players to make moves on a more regular basis. Just thought you all might like to know. Smiley Wink

The last time the site went down, we didn't restore the Chess function when we brought it back up.  PM Fr. Anastasios or Robert to inquire about whether we'll restore the Chess function.

---------------------
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »

It's all for the best, chess is of the devil! Wink
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2009, 03:31:13 AM »

I am a moderator at another forum and we have Sudoku there. . . it is worse than chess because you play all by yourself. Wink

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2009, 04:08:54 AM »

But no Russian council has condemned Sudoku.  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »

But no Russian council has condemned Sudoku.  Wink

Not yet.  Wink

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2009, 03:27:59 PM »

Anyone for Kakuro?   Grin
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2009, 05:56:39 PM »

If it's as addictive as Sudoku, I don't know that I want to hear about it.  Grin

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »

If it's as addictive as Sudoku, I don't know that I want to hear about it.  Grin
That's OK. I'm addicted to crossword puzzles...the harder the better. Can't pass one up. Is that a passion?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2009, 11:46:41 PM »

I'm not a Sudoku fan; I found Kakuro quite addictive when I first played it in Greece.

In Kakuro, one uses digits to satisfy horizontal and vertical sums.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2009, 01:19:32 AM »

I don;t see why that would be so (unless it is played to excess, resulting in the neglect of one's family duties, etc.). I look at chess as a way of sharpening my analytical skills.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:20:11 AM by stanley123 » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2009, 07:28:33 PM »

I don;t see why that would be so (unless it is played to excess, resulting in the neglect of one's family duties, etc.). I look at chess as a way of sharpening my analytical skills.
He was referring to a certain poster who, immediately after we added the chess application, condemned us all to hell for playing it, on the grounds that a certain Russian synod with questionable authority anathematized it.

That's all I'll say about it, but if you search the site, you may come across this post.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2009, 11:33:30 PM »

He was referring to a certain poster who, immediately after we added the chess application, condemned us all to hell for playing it, on the grounds that a certain Russian synod with questionable authority anathematized it.

That's all I'll say about it, but if you search the site, you may come across this post.
So it ws not meant to be taken seriously? In my personal opinion, chess can be a worthwhile pasttime, having the good effect of relaxation and sharpening one's mental skills to some extent. Of course, like anything else, we can think of situations where it might be detrimental to some other area of one's life, when played to excess. 
Personally, I would hope that this Russian synod and others also, might take into consideration the issuance of a judgment concerning violent computer video games.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2009, 11:55:16 PM »

I meant it as a joke, but apparently there really are some people out there who think that chess is of the devil.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2009, 12:12:35 AM »

I meant it as a joke, but apparently there really are some people out there who think that chess is of the devil.
Ok.
Still, I hope that this Russian synod will look into the question of violent computer video games.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »

Let's bring chess back...Let's bring chess back...Let's bring chess back...Let's bring chess back...Let's bring chess back...

B to the A to the C to the K .... bring it!  Who wit' me!!!  angel  Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2009, 07:17:25 AM »

B to the A to the C to the K .... bring it!  Who wit' me!!!  angel  Cheesy

*hesitatingly rising hand*
Tags: Chess 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print