OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:30:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chess  (Read 24885 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: October 27, 2007, 06:32:08 PM »

I noticed a cleverly hidden five-letter word at the top of my browser the other day, and I just had to investigate it. I found to my surprise a nifty little game of ajedrez. After besting my wife twice in a row, I am now prepared to announce:

I am the reigning chess champion of OCNet!

All ye who would seek to remove me from this lofty position, tremble in fear! And participate in what is a rather intuitive hybrid of email chess and chatroom chess. It really is fun!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 08:37:35 PM »

I wanna play!

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 08:43:23 PM »

I've used the "challenge" feature to invite a few people to play, but no one's responded. I'm wondering if it's working properly (or may be they just don't like me).

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 10:14:33 PM »

I'm definitely up for a game. I may be a bit rusty though; we'll have to wait and see. I was in the chess A team in primary school, and my team won the regional champs for all three years that I played, and made top 5 in the state championships. I reached my peak at the age of 12 where I received a rating that placed me in the top 10 in the state (for my age group that is). I've only played the odd game every now and then since however, so I have no idea how i'd perform today.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 10:15:33 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 10:25:03 PM »

One of my daughters who is in 2nd grade has joined the chess club at school and so I have become interested in the game. I am available to play a game or two but I am just a beginner.

Juliana
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 10:45:21 PM »

I've used the "challenge" feature to invite a few people to play, but no one's responded. I'm wondering if it's working properly (or may be they just don't like me).
Well, the system is working because I've just received a challenge from a poster and started a game. So it must be that the people I challenged don't like me....I've made a list of their names! Cheesy

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 11:18:33 PM »

Well, the system is working because I've just received a challenge from a poster and started a game. So it must be that the people I challenged don't like me....I've made a list of their names! Cheesy
I was one of those challenged, and I certainly intend to take up the challenge.  I'm just fighting through the braincloud caused by this headcold (sniffle, sniffle Tongue) one of my enemies gave me as a birthday present--actually, I think it was my own housemate who gave me this cold--and have thus been slow to accept.  In a few days when I can think more clearly I will accept ozgeorge's challenge to take him on in a game of chess.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 11:20:14 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 01:36:22 AM »

For some reason the system doesn't allow one to castle (it regards it an 'illegal move'), which is quite irritating. Hopefully it's a problem that Robert or Ukiemeister can fix.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 01:41:23 AM »

For some reason the system doesn't allow one to castle (it regards it an 'illegal move'), which is quite irritating. Hopefully it's a problem that Robert or Ukiemeister can fix.
Yeah, that's the only reason I lost to EA. Cheesy

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 03:09:40 AM »

Cheesy You wish! If anything, it's the only reason you lost later rather than earlier  Wink

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 03:57:16 AM »

Cheesy You wish! If anything, it's the only reason you lost later rather than earlier  Wink
Okay, boys, enough of the trash talking. Wink Cheesy
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 09:16:49 AM »

I'll take that thank you very much!

*sighs* That's enough chess for me...I should be studying.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 09:21:54 AM »

Enjoy it, put it up on a shelf, put some flowers next to it. I'll be back.  Smiley

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 11:22:06 AM »

Bout time y'all starting to play it!

Castling is there....when you are eligible to castle, a link will appear in the right hand side of your screen next to your username...Click ti and you will castle.

RObert
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 03:41:15 PM »

form a league, seasonal rounds etc...active participation...I really dislike them words

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 04:40:58 PM »

After besting my wife twice in a row, I am now prepared to announce:

All ye who would seek to remove me from this lofty position, tremble in fear!

Should I point out that those two games were my second and third games of chess ever or should I let Mr. Y gloat a bit longer before he gets his butt kicked?   Grin Cheesy 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 01:58:42 AM »

How funny am I; I cancel all extra-educational commitments and appointments so I can stay at home and study, only to log into OC.net and challenge every user that comes online with a game of chess. This new forum feature is the devil I tell ya.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 02:36:56 AM »

You're unstoppable. 
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 02:46:53 AM »

I won't argue with you there.

I'm just begging to be humbled by someone!  Cheesy

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 05:15:26 AM »

I'm just begging to be humbled by someone! 
Well it's turning out to be an excellent ascesis in humility for me so far!

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 07:13:29 PM »

Looking to start a few matches....after getting checkmated by EA Smiley

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 07:19:06 PM »

Rank         Name             Elo    Wins  Draws  Losses
1        EkhristosAnesti     1140    11      0        0 

Ain't nothin' gonna break my break my stride,
nobody's gonna slow me down, oh no,
I've got to keep on movin'.

Can't nobody take my pride
Can't nobody hold me down, Oh no
I've got to keep on movin

Grin Cheesy Wink Tongue

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 09:18:34 PM »

You've probably figured this out already, but I'm posting it for everyone else. The system puts a king and queen symbol underneath your avatar. You click on the king symbol to castle kingside (O-O) or the queen symbol to castle queenside (O-O-O).

TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 02:04:39 AM »

Should I point out that those two games were my second and third games of chess ever or should I let Mr. Y gloat a bit longer before he gets his butt kicked?   Grin Cheesy 

I think he's pushing it - ldoesn't the wife who's carrying around his very heavy progeny usually win.  Never tick off a pregnant woman.  Sort of like "let the Wookie win".

* Replaced vulgarity with something cleaner  - PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:13:52 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 08:29:41 AM »

I think he's pushing it - ldoesn't the wife who's carrying around his very heavy progeny usually win.  Never tick off a pregnant woman.  Sort of like "let the Wookie win".

Cheesy I agree wholeheartedly.  Wink

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 08:11:20 AM »

Pravoslavbob came so close to inhibiting me from reaching my milestone of 20 wins undefeated, but alas, he could not...

We need a victory/arrogance dance emoticon...

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 08:35:24 AM »

Pravoslavbob came so close to inhibiting me from reaching my milestone of 20 wins undefeated, but alas, he could not...

How about a mob with pitchforks chasing you?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 09:14:37 AM »

Tsk, tsk...such pride...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 03:55:48 PM »

It will eventually lead to his Waterloo...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 08:30:44 PM »

Don't hate the player, just hate the game.  Wink

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »

Technically you havn't beaten me.......yet....lol. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 08:56:10 PM »

Stalling me hey...stallers are the most wretched kind.  Angry Remind me to put a time limit condition on the challenges I issue from now on.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 08:58:22 PM »

You are hereby reminded. 

When are we gona continue?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2007, 09:02:40 PM »

Oh, playing ignorant are we.  Wink

I'm not sure if you're aware, but generally you can make your next move at any time. I don't even need to be logged on. I have been playing a few people in that manner. I make a move one day, they make their move the next etc.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 09:06:45 PM »

I was in a rush and fergot the smiley... Wink

A good player likes to scout and watch other players...I have a call in to Patriots for assistance  Cool

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2007, 09:12:38 PM »

A good player likes to scout and watch other players...I have a call in to Patriots for assistance  Cool

Oh is that how they define it now? Last time I checked a good player wins 20 games undefeated.  Cheesy

Okay, I'm going to finally take Peter's advice:

enough of the trash talking. Wink Cheesy

I just wanted to encourage people (in my own demented way) to take up the cause of breaking the legs off my high horse.

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007, 05:56:31 PM »

EA is the real deal in my opinion, he fought hard and made me think too much..... And he knew when I made a mistake and how to capitalize. I tip my cap...

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2007, 06:12:14 PM »

Sigh  Sad ....   Cheesy

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2007, 01:53:35 AM »

You've probably figured this out already, but I'm posting it for everyone else. The system puts a king and queen symbol underneath your avatar. You click on the king symbol to castle kingside (O-O) or the queen symbol to castle queenside (O-O-O).
Sad to say, it's never worked for me yet. Undecided

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2007, 12:23:58 PM »

I used the castling function in a game against you, does that count?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2007, 12:32:07 PM »

I used the castling function in a game against you, does that count?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2007, 02:37:01 PM »

When you look in the 'FINISHED' section, the winnings are always by checkmate yet sometimes it's followed by an asterix.  What does this mean?

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2007, 03:03:03 PM »

When you look in the 'FINISHED' section, the winnings are always by checkmate yet sometimes it's followed by an asterix.  What does this mean?

That the loser resigned that particular game.

Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2007, 06:00:47 PM »

So, I just have had a lesson in humility from EkhristosAnesti.

Currently accepting challanges from people in a similar situation.

-Robert
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2007, 11:00:41 PM »

No offense.....but being an Orthodox forum, shouldn't we have at least someone from the former USSR who was drilled in the ways of Russian chess mastery, to overtake EA??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tags: Chess 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: