OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:02:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vista, be gone!  (Read 9140 times) Average Rating: 0
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« on: October 27, 2007, 09:51:26 AM »

Yay!!!!! After a lot of work, I've finally managed to upgrade my computer from Windows Vista to XP!

Vista is maddening. It is a dog. A rabid one. Anybody else have trouble with this piece of crap operating system? At MIT, where I work, all the tech people are sticking with XP (or, more commonly, Macs and Linux).
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 10:32:53 AM »

YES! I've had trouble with this one from the day I got it. Sure, it looks nice, but it fails to run most of the programs I use most (including about half my games) and the rest it runs poorly. About the only programs it really likes are Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer (I prefer Firefox, but sometimes it won't open...hmm, haven't seen that one before....). Fortunately, I had the sense to set up a dual-boot, so if I want to run anything important, I can still do it on XP. XP was the epitome of Windows computing, IMHO. Vista took a bold step off the path and crushed a butterfly.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 11:02:21 AM »

Once again, advantages are given to neo-Luddites like myself...

I just can't get excited about any of this, and I think I'm better off!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 11:03:35 AM »

You should upgrade again, this time to Linux. :-)

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 12:33:48 PM »

I personally hate Windows and dont use it anymore.  But for the sake of being fair, XP also was garbage when it first came out, with so many bugs.  PC World recommended to stick with 2000.  Later on, bugs were fixed and more and more people bought XP and were happy.

Never buy an OS when it first comes out.  Theyre beta versions in disguise until all is fixed.  So, sooner or later Vista will catch on.

As for the title for this thread, it really should be Windows, be gone.  You can learn a lot from your MIT colleagues who commonly use the more stable UNIX based OS, like a Mac.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 12:37:22 PM »

For that matter, never upgrade one's Linux kernel to a x.0 version - wait for x.1 or better.

I say this but never do it, always ready to pounce on a new release immediately and then regretting it.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 12:47:05 PM »

As for the title for this thread, it really should be Windows, be gone.  You can learn a lot from your MIT colleagues who commonly use the more stable UNIX based OS, like a Mac.

I know. Some of the postdocs in my lab were telling me to get an iMac when I was shopping for a new notebook in September. I almost pulled the string on a 5.3-pound version. But I got a great deal on a 2.8-pound IBM Thinkpad. As I get around on foot, something portable was a high priority of mine. I call it my Fisher Price laptop, it's so small and light.

I must say, though, it would have been nice to run my iPod on a Mac---it's kind of a pain on a Windows-based system.

I'll keep my copy of Vista until they work out the problems with it. The thing literally grinds your system to a halt. Maybe I'll go Mac next time. . .
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 12:56:26 PM »

Never buy an OS when it first comes out.  Theyre beta versions in disguise until all is fixed.  So, sooner or later Vista will catch on.
I hope so, but I really wouldn't compare Vista to XP. XP was the last of a series of 32-bit operating systems that began with Windows 98. A better comparison for Vista is Windows 95. 95 was a 16-/32-bit hybrid OS designed to allow users with a 16-bit library full access to their programs while they transition to 32-bit. Vista is much the same (although most users, myself included, do not yet have the 64-bit Vista). 95 never did fix all the bugs; those would be corrected in subsequent OSes.

That said, I didn't pay for Vista. I got it as part of a promotion late last year. Some of you will remember the "buy XP, get Vista free" campaign. My computer (purchased in 2002) had become so outdated that I needed to upgrade virtually everything. I felt it would be cheaper to buy an entirely new tower than to buy all the parts (especially with the transition to SATA). I didn't even know about the promotion, but I figured why not? The world eventually will be run on Vista--MS does its utmost to make sure of that--so if I can get it free, saves me $200 that I would have spent eventually.

I have seen a lot of improvement I first installed Vista early this year. Back in Feb/Mar, two instances of Windows Explorer were incompatible (i.e., I couldn't move a file from one to the other). There were several other annoyances, as well. I must say, though, that I am enjoying DX10 video. That is a big plus--and when MS eventually fixes all the bugs in Vista around 2016, I'll probably really like it.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 04:40:19 PM »

go linux.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »

....when MS eventually fixes all the bugs in Vista around 2016, I'll probably really like it.

Whew.  That's a really brisk pace.  Kind of reminds you of how quickly we Orthodox solve any doctrinal disputes.   Wink

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 06:21:50 PM »

Whew.  That's a really brisk pace.
I know. But they're really committed to the cause. Brought in a third shift, even.  Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 12:25:04 AM »

http://www.slackware.com/

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 05:50:49 AM »

GiC's a Slacker, too!?

I'll never live this down...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 08:22:48 AM »

That said, I didn't pay for Vista.

I really have never paid for an operating system alone.  I would simply pay for the computer and if it came with it, great.  I also think the way they price the OS is ridiculous.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 08:28:51 AM »

Agreed. They're still selling XP upgrades for $200, and the full program for $290. A six-year-old OS is not worth that. (Of course, if you buy from NewEgg, you can get the OEM for much less, but those are the retail prices.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »

Interesting topic...  When I purchased my desktop PC back in January, Dell was running a promotional in connection with the upcoming release of Vista in just a couple of months.  Buy my computer with XP installed and, when Vista comes out, receive the update for free.  Well, I did that.  Fortunately, I partitioned my hard drive in such a way as to install both XP and Vista on it and make it a dual-boot machine.  I tried using Vista for a while, but got fed up with trying to figure out why the available data storage on my Vista partition was always being reduced whenever I had my Firefox browser open for a significant amount of time and returned to XP; I think I lost an average of one or two gigabytes a week, but I would get this all back when I booted with XP then rebooted with Vista.  I still have a partition devoted solely to the Vista OS, but I never use it.  Maybe when Microsoft releases SP1... Undecided

Important tip for the technically savvy: partition your hard drive to separate your personal files (documents, spreadsheets, music downloads, etc.) from your operating system and program files.  If your system should crash, requiring a reformat of your system partition, you won't lose any of your personal files.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 07:28:25 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 07:40:13 PM »

Important tip for the technically savvy: partition your hard drive to separate your personal files (documents, spreadsheets, music downloads, etc.) from your operating system and program files.  If your system should crash, requiring a reformat of your system partition, you won't lose any of your personal files.

Good point.  I just used external hard drives or secondary internal hard drives instead of partitioning (although with a lot of small desktops, there really is no more room for second internal hard drives), to save some of the important stuff.  It makes it easier for me than partition (there's also backup, but those softwares are annoying).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 07:40:50 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 10:51:34 PM »

Hello,

I won't tell you what I think of Microsoft and Windows - it really doesn't bear saying. I have used Vista, in fact I have it on my computer, but I never use it (my father uses it, so I keep it for him).

I recommend migrating to the Unix and Linux world. I currently use Slackware (12.0) and NetBSD (3.1, though 4.0 may be out by New Year's). I will never go back to the Windows world of my own volition.

If you are a beginner, I would recommend a distribution such as Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS to get your feet wet. They are geared to the new Linux user and especially those coming from Windows. In fact Ubuntu is a live CD, which means you can use it without having to alter your hard drive at all. The entire OS runs off of the CD - but if you want to save any files you need something like a USB drive. This is great if you are unsure and want to try Linux without committing to it or going cold turkey from Windows.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 10:55:17 AM »

Another Slacker! ...good man.

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 06:00:36 PM »

Hello,

Another Slacker! ...good man.
I started off years ago with Red Hat 9. Then I moved on up with the rollover to Fedora. I followed Fedora through version 3 or 4, but it was just too buggy. Their main focus is on the blazing edge, which is what some folks want and need - but not me. I then migrated to Slackware back when it was 10.2 and have been using it ever since. I also use NetBSD, and may start to make it my primary OS - I'm not sure yet.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »

1995, Started with Slackware 3.2. Tried Redhat, Mandrake, Caldera, Debian. Had to know SCO-Unix and OS/2 for work. Used SUN O/S (with Solaris) at home for a while. Switched back to Slack because it seemed the most Unix-like. Still on Slack 8.1. Awaiting new computer for the new kernel.

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 07:45:17 PM »

1995, Started with Slackware 3.2. Tried Redhat, Mandrake, Caldera, Debian. Had to know SCO-Unix and OS/2 for work. Used SUN O/S (with Solaris) at home for a while. Switched back to Slack because it seemed the most Unix-like. Still on Slack 8.1. Awaiting new computer for the new kernel.

Remember the slackware disk sets Wink

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 07:46:01 PM »

I run a Sparc with Solaris 10 on it, an Ubuntu machine, and HP-UX.

I use VMWare if I absolutely have to run Windows...

Unix is the way to go.
brittrossiter

jasonrossiter
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 01:38:28 PM »

I've used Ubuntu and Open Suse in recent months, but am now using Mac OS Leopard. 

Had Vista for about a month earlier this year, after it first came out.  Hardly anything worked, and it gave my laptop power management fits.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 07:11:45 PM »

A great Christmas present would be posting & explaining technical stuff that someone who is along in years can understand and apply...

Though I hope that I'm not babbling incoherently yet...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 09:13:39 PM »

I had VISTA placed on a my old laptop by someone that thought they were doing me a favor. That lasted a few days, in which I shelved the laptop, then later sold it. I got myself a nice MacBook instead. I even upgraded to their new operating system, Leopard (OSX 10.5) and I still have no complaints. So I want to thank all at Microsoft that created VISTA help me make a decision to go to Mac. Smiley

Friar Tuck
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 11:30:32 PM »

Hello,

A great Christmas present would be posting & explaining technical stuff that someone who is along in years can understand and apply...

Though I hope that I'm not babbling incoherently yet...
I find the best sources for books are those highly technical books. After that, for those who aren't as "techie", there are the "For Dummies" series. If a person still has trouble with that, I find that the only practical solution is hands on instruction. You might want to look at your local college for computer courses (look for the lowest numbered courses) to get started.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »

Two words: Windows 7.  Grin

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 01:05:43 PM »

One word: No

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 02:04:23 PM »

-Nick

Is that a "No, never use Windows or any Microsoft product," or is that a "No, I usually use windows but I don't like Vista and am skeptical about 7?"

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 03:24:39 PM »

-Nick

Is that a "No, never use Windows or any Microsoft product," or is that a "No, I usually use windows but I don't like Vista and am skeptical about 7?"

It would be a No, never use windows but because I love a good game, I can't entirely get away from windows, so its a "No, Windows 7 is not the answer"

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 03:27:12 PM »

-Nick

It would be a No, never use windows but because I love a good game, I can't entirely get away from windows, so its a "No, Windows 7 is not the answer"
My first impression: It works. That's already better than Vista.

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »

I have to admit, as much as it is steps above Vista, I'm still disappointed by the lack of a new file system.  NTFS is showing its age, and with the eventual release of Btrfs, Linux will be even more leaps and bounds ahead of Windows in yet another field.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »

I have to admit, as much as it is steps above Vista, I'm still disappointed by the lack of a new file system.  NTFS is showing its age, and with the eventual release of Btrfs, Linux will be even more leaps and bounds ahead of Windows in yet another field.

For all we know, Microsoft could have integrated Btrfs into NTFS assuming that Windows 7 was built on some UNIX code base like Windows 2000.  The Literature doesn't say much about NTFS and Windows 7.

Edited for content.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:44:28 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 10:22:06 PM »

Windows 7 will prove to be an awesome operating system. It's already had rave reviews from many knowledgeable technical folks (i.e. Paul Thurott, Leo Laporte to name just two). We'll be upgrading our boxes next month.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »

I was sceptical at first, but I ended up getting 7 today on Paul Thurott's recommendation. I figure if he likes it, it's got to be good. Cheesy

I've played around with many of the new features, and I'm impressed. It's nothing earth-shattering, but it runs perfectly. No bugs, fast startup, and--best of all--I have not gotten a single security warning. I know, those ought to be minimum expectations, but I did mention it was Windows. Grin
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:31:21 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 10:34:26 PM »

For all we know, Microsoft could have integrated Btrfs into NTFS assuming that Windows 7 was built on some UNIX code base like Windows 2000.  The Literature doesn't say much about NTFS and Windows 7.

Edited for content.

NTFS hasn't changed too much over the last few years, but when being implemented, they did include borrow a lot of ideas from Unix-based file systems.  Only now, with Vista and 7, are some of those features being used on the client's end (symbolic links, etc).  So I would definitely say they have borrowed a lot from XFS, JFS, Reiser, parts of the Ext3, but since btrfs is still in alpha testing (it has only been in the kernel for a couple of releases), NTFS doesn't show any signs of adding such implementations.  An example of the big one, especially from large scale operations' standpoint, would be the addition of checksums and multi-device pooling in the file system itself.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 10:37:20 PM »

Edited for content.

NTFS hasn't changed too much over the last few years, but when being implemented, they did include borrow a lot of ideas from Unix-based file systems.  Only now, with Vista and 7, are some of those features being used on the client's end (symbolic links, etc).  So I would definitely say they have borrowed a lot from XFS, JFS, Reiser, parts of the Ext3, but since btrfs is still in alpha testing (it has only been in the kernel for a couple of releases), NTFS doesn't show any signs of adding such implementations.  An example of the big one, especially from large scale operations' standpoint, would be the addition of checksums and multi-device pooling in the file system itself.
Now, I don't know much about them yet, but 7's file system includes "libraries" that are intended for sharing files among multiple systems running 7. As I have only one system running 7, I can't test it, but that may be a step toward implementing such features as you describe.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 11:27:16 PM »

NTFS hasn't changed too much over the last few years, but when being implemented, they did include borrow a lot of ideas from Unix-based file systems.  Only now, with Vista and 7, are some of those features being used on the client's end (symbolic links, etc).  So I would definitely say they have borrowed a lot from XFS, JFS, Reiser, parts of the Ext3, but since btrfs is still in alpha testing (it has only been in the kernel for a couple of releases), NTFS doesn't show any signs of adding such implementations.

NTFS 5 was in XP and I believe NTFS 5.1 was in Vista.  Yet, I don't see any reference to version of NTFS in Windows 7.  What if Microsoft took alpha level btrfs code and merged it into NTFS; after all, Microsoft had over 1000 builds from Windows 7 Beta 1 to Windows 7 RTM.  The use of open source file systems explains how Windows 7 outperforms Vista and XP except in video processing where XP has the advantage over Windows 7.

An example of the big one, especially from large scale operations' standpoint, would be the addition of checksums and multi-device pooling in the file system itself.

Based on screen shots, Windows 7's device manager looks like a GUI based multi-device pooling from the file system.   Huh
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 11:59:58 PM »

NTFS 5 was in XP and I believe NTFS 5.1 was in Vista.  Yet, I don't see any reference to version of NTFS in Windows 7.  What if Microsoft took alpha level btrfs code and merged it into NTFS; after all, Microsoft had over 1000 builds from Windows 7 Beta 1 to Windows 7 RTM.  The use of open source file systems explains how Windows 7 outperforms Vista and XP except in video processing where XP has the advantage over Windows 7.

It uses a NTFS 6.0 or 6.x.  I've been able to use Server 2008 R2 RTM which is based on NT 6.1, like 7.  NTFS just hasn't shown any significant changes.  Yes, it is adding a lot of features, but it hasn't done much to the bones of NTFS.  For the key Btrfs features to be added to NTFS, they would have to rebuild some of the basics.  NTFS is still your typical journaling file system, while Btrfs is much more hybrid.  A ground up build is needed, and was expected, but it was abandoned.

Based on screen shots, Windows 7's device manager looks like a GUI based multi-device pooling from the file system.   Huh

The multi-device pooling I was talking about more has to do with the implementation of a file system over virtual pools over virtual devices.  Volume managers and raid arrays are no longer required separately, since the file system doesn't recognise things as a single drive, a single device, etc.  Everything is virtual, everything is scalable, everything is included; it is all part of the hybrid nature of ZFS and later, btrfs.  Since this is only a major deal in huge, large scale operations, Windows hasn't moved to implement it, since no one would trust a Windows machine in such applications.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 12:25:49 AM »

I know. Some of the postdocs in my lab were telling me to get an iMac when I was shopping for a new notebook in September. I almost pulled the string on a 5.3-pound version. But I got a great deal on a 2.8-pound IBM Thinkpad. As I get around on foot, something portable was a high priority of mine. I call it my Fisher Price laptop, it's so small and light.

I must say, though, it would have been nice to run my iPod on a Mac---it's kind of a pain on a Windows-based system.

I'll keep my copy of Vista until they work out the problems with it. The thing literally grinds your system to a halt. Maybe I'll go Mac next time. . .

Hard to believe it's been two years.

My system's been on Vista for the past year or so. I STILL don't like it.

I think I'd like to run my Lenovo Thinkpad X61 another year before I replace it, so I'm wondering if it's worth getting Windows 7. I can get the academic price for $29.99.

My question is, should I get the 32-bit or the 64-bit? I heard that some software and hardware don't work with a 64-bit system, but the 64-bit is supposed to run faster.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4 GB of memory.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 12:44:07 AM »

I think I'd like to run my Lenovo Thinkpad X61 another year before I replace it, so I'm wondering if it's worth getting Windows 7. I can get the academic price for $29.99.

My question is, should I get the 32-bit or the 64-bit? I heard that some software and hardware don't work with a 64-bit system, but the 64-bit is supposed to run faster.

64-bit.  Windows' 64-bit support has increased leaps and bounds compared to the state it was in with XP x64.  You might notice a very, very small increase in speed in certain instances, but not often.  When it comes to software and hardware compatibility, you should be find with an X61.  WOW64, which allows 32-bit software to be run in a 64-bit environment, works great.  And any hardware issues for moderately new hardware has been flushed out by now.  Linux 64-bit has been mainstream for years now, so developers haven't been shy to start implementing Windows 64-bit drivers.  Plus, with 64-bit, your software can use all of the 4GB of RAM (both 32 and 64 bit programmes).

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 02:09:40 AM »

Thanks for the help! It looks like I have to do a custom installation (a clean install) to go from 32 bit to 64 bit. Should be fun.  Cheesy
basilthefool

Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 07:28:39 AM »

Well, all I know is that the computer I'm currently using came with Vista (after it had been out over a year - so I guess most of the major bugs, you know New York Cock Roach size, had been eliminated) and it has worked fine. I'm planning on giving Windows 7 until after Nativity to get all the major bugs out before upgrading. Plus, January is a good season to spend days sweating over computer issues.  Grin
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »

64-bit, definitely. I've had much better compatibility with older programs on my 64-bit 7 than I did on my 32-bit Vista. 7 has two program files now, one labeled Program Files (x86) and the other Program Files (x64). When I pop in the disc from a 32-bit program, it automatically suggests the x86 folder, and when I install a new 64-bit program, it suggests x64. Very smooth, much more so than Vista's "windows.old" system.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: