OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:43:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deleting massive numbers of posts  (Read 1159 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: May 28, 2003, 04:45:12 PM »

Dear Friends,

This is a heartfelt plea to all of our users.

Recently some posters became mad at one of the administrators of this website over what to me seems to be a private issue between the two of them. These individuals then proceeded to delete or edit many posts to oblivion.

Now I am open to the idea that these folks regretted things they had written, but it just seemed very strangely timed (right after the dispute).

So therefore I am making this request: if you question something you have written, PLEASE do not destory your posts.  That is a request from me personally.  Much better is to simply write: "I regret what I wrote above and recant."

Why? Because we are a community and when we have threads with many replies going on, and someone erases the post, especially the first post, it destroys the flow of the conversation.  It can even make the thread seem like nonsense.

Now after making that request, I will announce a new OCnet policy.  If you feel the need to erase a post, and it is because you either 1) insulted someone or 2) really said something totally off the wall and you can't believe you wrote it, fine, delete/edit it.  HOWEVER, if anyone erases or edits to oblivion (ie cuts out all text) more than three posts in one day, we will ban that user for a week.

This board is based on trust. We trust that you are going to write things you believe.  Furthermore, we trust you will be honorable and if you are shown to be wrong, or a tense debate ensues, you will not try to erase your thoughts to get out of a discussion.  Without that guarantee, how will anyone feel secure posting and investing time in a thread, if they feel that at any point it may be railroaded by other posters?

Thank you for your cooperation.

In Christ,

anastasios
ADMIN

« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 04:45:31 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Neo Tobiah

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 05:01:04 PM »

Lol, if said moderator thinks that I deleted posts because of whatever words we exchanged, he thinks a bit too highly of himself (ie. that he could do/say something that would send me into such a rage that I would delete most of my--Justin's--posts from the past few days  -- EDIT, though looking back on the situation, I can see how he'd get that impression. Wink  And thinking back, I shouldn't have said the "thinks too highly"... I was being light hearted there! Smiley though I'm sure it will come across as confrontational ). I didn't think I'd get banned, but then I guess if you play "games" (how I'm sure it seemed to the moderators on the board at the time) you take the chance of getting the loaded gun each time around. Anyway, I'm sorry if I've disrupted any threads, though I doubt my thoughts played an important enough a role to seriously hinder discussions on any topic posters would like to discuss.

I strongly commend your last paragraph, though I realise that most people would place my actions at barely a step below erasing for such reasons as you listed there. The fact that I am not willing to offer any type of explanation for my actions doubtless makes me look all the more like an irresponsible fool. But you can all judge by my past actions what you think of my recent ones. If you think me an idiot... you're probably right!

Justin (aka Paradosis)

PS. My wife was admitted to the hospital today and will have a normally simple surgery this friday. Unfortunately, because of her heart condition, no surgery can be thought of as being "normal" for her (as there are complications the normal person wouldn't have). And no, my wife's going to the hospital didn't have anything to do with what happened (and neither did anything anyone said on any forum Smiley )
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 05:10:05 PM by Neo Tobiah » Logged
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 03:08:48 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

Personally, if I post something I regret later, I might add a line to the post stating as much but I prefer to leave what I wrote as a personal rebuke to myself and an incentive not to do it again. I always post a seperate apology, since that is the flow of the discussion and the damage done cannot be undone by deleting the post or adding an apology to the offending post since it makes the posts responding seem nonsensical.

John.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 05:25:27 PM »

Phew!

Whoa!

Sure am glad I never make any mistakes!  Wink

That is humor, guys, or it was supposed to be. It was not directed at anyone.

I love you all, and may God bless you!  Grin Grin Grin

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: