OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:50:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resources on the Filioque  (Read 1440 times) Average Rating: 0
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: October 27, 2007, 05:12:35 AM »

Has anyone got some good book recommendations for Orthodox apologetics on the filioque issue? I've already got St. Photius' Mystagogy.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:26:52 PM »

Has anyone got some good book recommendations for Orthodox apologetics on the filioque issue? I've already got St. Photius' Mystagogy.

New Rome has spoken.  The case is closed. Grin

On a serious note, you probably would do better with the Scholastics to present the arguments but not attatch St. Photius' name to it.  They seem to shut off without knowing why at the mere mention of his name.

Btw is the Mystagogy and the acts, etc. of Constantinople IV (the real one, 879) on line?  The sites I had are down now.

I'm afraid that now that they admit that the term filioque can't be translated into the original Greek without a result that even they deem heretical, they will have to get their mind straight on that issue.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »

Below are a few texts that (in varying degrees) touch upon the issue of the filioque:

A. Edward Siecienski. The Use of Maximus the Confessor's Writing on the Filioque at the Council of Ferrara-Florence (1438–1439). Ann Arbor, Michigan: UMI Dissertation Services, 2005.

Aristeides Papadakis. Crisis in Byzantium: The Filioque Controversy in the Patriarchate of Gregory II of Cyprus (1283–1289). New York: Fordham University Press, 1983.

Aristeides Papadakis. The Christian East and the Rise of the Papacy. Crestwood, NY: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1994, pp. 232-238 and 379-408.

Richard Haugh. Photius and the Carolingians: The Trinitarian Controversy. Belmont, MA: Nordland Publishing Company, 1975.

David Bradshaw. Aristotle East and West: Metaphysics and the Division of Christendom. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004, pp. 214–220.

I have also posted a brief essay that I wrote on the filioque at my own website, click the link below if you wish to peruse it:

The Filioque Controversy

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:18:21 PM »

Below are a few texts that (in varying degrees) touch upon the issue of the filioque:

A. Edward Siecienski. The Use of Maximus the Confessor's Writing on the Filioque at the Council of Ferrara-Florence (1438–1439). Ann Arbor, Michigan: UMI Dissertation Services, 2005.

Aristeides Papadakis. Crisis in Byzantium: The Filioque Controversy in the Patriarchate of Gregory II of Cyprus (1283–1289). New York: Fordham University Press, 1983.

Aristeides Papadakis. The Christian East and the Rise of the Papacy. Crestwood, NY: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1994, pp. 232-238 and 379-408.

Richard Haugh. Photius and the Carolingians: The Trinitarian Controversy. Belmont, MA: Nordland Publishing Company, 1975.

David Bradshaw. Aristotle East and West: Metaphysics and the Division of Christendom. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004, pp. 214–220.

I have also posted a brief essay that I wrote on the filioque at my own website, click the link below if you wish to peruse it:

The Filioque Controversy

I would like to add another:

St. Photios the Great by Asterios Gerostergios(Institute for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies) Pages: 63,64& 94

ISBN 0-914744-51-9

Cool
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:22:47 PM by JoeS » Logged
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:04:59 PM »

Hello,

Not an Orthodox source, but if you study the issue, you should know the other side's argument. Here is the Catholic Church's Clarification on the Filioque:

http://www.catholicculture.org/library/view.cfm?recnum=1176

And here is an Orthodox response to that clarification:

http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/dogmatics/john_zizioulas_single_source.htm

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:57:01 PM »

One Orthodox point of view regarding the issue of the filioque that simply cannot be passed up is to be found in The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:58:09 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Papa Gregorio

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

St. Gregory the Great, Pope of Old Rome

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 05:53:03 AM »

Have you read this work by Dragas?

Tags: filioque Trinity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: