OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 05:30:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what books or manuscripts do you want published?  (Read 3087 times) Average Rating: 0
pathofsolitude

Faith: Immaculately Pure Hesychastic Orthodoxy of the Old Way
Jurisdiction: Unorganized Catacomb Communion in Exile- (the bishops have lost the faith)

« on: October 27, 2007, 01:28:27 AM »

Often I find myself studying a subject about which there is simply not enough information readily available to me. Or I need to read some ancient literature that has never been translated into English. I mean stuff that seems lost somewhere in the back of an old dusty shelf at an old library on another continent! The last time this happened to me was when I wanted to get ahold of some postPatristic Syrian theological writings. Impossible of course! Its amazing how much translation and publishing work needs to be done.

So anyways I'm sure this has happened to other people too. What books [theological, spiritual, ecclesiastical, etc] would you like published? Or republished if it has been out of print for a long time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 01:29:41 AM by pathofsolitude » Logged

The great apostasy has occured. Get out of there while you can!!! Its better to be priestless than to have a heretic bishop. The apostles taught that the church consists of saints only. There are about 7,000 Spirit-bearers currently in the catacombs.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 02:23:05 AM »

General Epistle by St. Nerses Shnorhali, translated by Fr. Arakel Aljalian

It was published a while back by St. Vartan Press, of the Eastern Diocese of the Armenian Church in America.

http://www.stvartanbookstore.com/

It went out of print as of a few years ago.  Rumor has it that they were considering reprinting it, but they were afraid there wouldn't be enough interest.

Perhaps if enough different people were to contact them and say they wanted the book, they might actually reprint it.

Hint, hint, hint.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:32:40 AM »

All those Conciliurum volumes by Mansi:  translated, published, and sold at an affordable price (okay, maybe the last one is a bit of a stretch, but it's worth a shot).

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:33:24 AM »

Actually something that I and lots of other Armenians would like to see translated and published would be the works of St. Gregory of Datev.  They say his writings--especially his Book of Questions--contain and explain all the theology of the Armenian Church.  However, his works have never been translated into any modern language, not even modern Armenian.  They only exist in Classical Armenian.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:42:38 AM »

My goodness!  Are there no other valuable works out there which need to be translated, printed or reprinted?  When I first saw this thread I thought it would end up being a really long thread.  I guess I was wrong.  I guess there are no other works out there which need to be reprinted, like St. Nerses' General Epistle, which may actually get reprinted if people express interest in it.  (HINT!)

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 02:07:44 AM »

The Novels of Leo the Wise.

Actually most works from Roman authors after the 8th Centry are hard to come by in Greek, much less in nslation. I'd be happy if I could even manage to get the french translation of Leo the Wise, but it's kely as it went out of print in the 30's. Anything political, legal, social, or religious in nature from this era I would be interested in, regardless of the language, but all such texts are hard to find in Greek and near impossible to find in English...you basically have to track down the manuscripts and try to gain access to some remote monastery or academic/museum library with highly restricted access. Who knows, maybe Google will gain access in the next 20 years or so Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 02:10:26 AM »

The Breviarium Romanum in one volume. Guess what? It's coming soon!  Smiley

The complete works of Hildegard of Bingen---sadly, most were lost in WWII bombings.

There's some stuff of Tolkien's I'd really be interested in seeing---including a review Tolkien wrote but kept under wraps of CS Lewis's Letters to Malcolm. It remains inaccessible and unpublished.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 02:12:18 AM by lubeltri » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 06:00:12 AM »

The Recipe Book of the kitchen of the Holy Monastery of Iveron.
Not only because they are the most wonderful fasting dishes I have ever tasted, but because like St. Sabbas the Sanctified, St. John of Colonia, and St. Euphrosynos, countless Saints became Saints by peeling potatoes and onions, cleaning pots and preparing dishes in the service of others.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 08:25:33 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
falafel333
Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 09:53:38 PM »

The Ascetical Homilies of St Isaac the Syrian
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 11:27:37 PM »

The entire biblical canon of the EOTC into English! Also, the Ethiopian Orthodox books of Church Tradition such as the Miracles of the Virgin Mariyam, the Life of St. Gebre Menfes Qidus, etc.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 05:57:13 AM »

Deification in Christ: Orthodox Perspectives on the Nature of the Human Person, by Panayiotis Nellas

This book really laid out Orthodox anthropology (the fall, image and likeness, etc.) quite well. Unfortunately it's been out of print for a while. I put in an order for it at Eastern Christian Supply Company, thinking that they had it, and was informed by email that they didn't have any and that they'd ship it to me when they got more. Well great, that could be years, if ever! Smiley
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 09:28:31 AM »

The last time this happened to me was when I wanted to get ahold of some postPatristic Syrian theological writings.

The Corpus Scriptorum Christianorum Orientalium has something like 250 Syriac volumes, many of which are post-Patristic.

It also has many volumes from Coptic, Ethiopic and Armenian sources.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 07:07:28 AM »

Oh I can think of so many Judeo-Christian works that still need to be published in print or on the web. From the top of my head:

1. The complete Peshitta Old Testamet (English translation)
2. The complete collection of Aramaic Targums (English translation)
3. The Samaritan Pentateuch (English translation)
4. The complete Yonan Codex (Peshitta NT)
5. The complete Coptic Bible (English translation)
6. The complete Armenian Bible (English translation)
7. The complete Ethiopian Orthodox Bible (English translation)
8. Sa'adia Gaon's Arabic Tafsir Tanakh (English translation)
9. All the liturgical texts of the Armenian, Ethiopian, Coptic, East Syrian & West Syrian rites (English translations)
10. All the Yemenite Jewish liturgical texts (English translations)
11. EOB OT
12. Palestinian Syriac New Testament (English translation)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:08:20 AM by Nazarene » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »

A lot of Sir Steven Runciman's works are out of print, paticularly Byzantine Civilization and the Byzantine Theocracy.  Canto has been republishing a lot but all of his works should be out in general circulation again. They're that good.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »

There's so much!

"The Church Book," by St. Symeon of Thessaloniki that tells about everything used in church and why it's used.

Sienkiewicz's "With Fire and Sword" trilogy translated by Kuczniak.

A good biography of Patriarch Cyril Lukaris with lots of Greek sources explaining how he was never a Calvinist. The Greek sources, including Patriarch Cyril's own oath and anathematization of Calvinism are there, a book in English is not. Greek Church scholars have done dissertations on this, but there's little in English.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »

Actually, I'm looking for Latin translators for these books.  We have a publisher lined up and the texts, just need help with translating into English:

Loca Infesta by P. Thyraeus
Manuale Exorcismorum by Eynatten
Coniuratio Malignorum Spirituum by P. Oliverius
Formicarium (Book 5) by J. Nyder

If anyone would like to help, please PM me.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 04:21:05 PM »

All the following in English:

-Single volume Orthodox Bible with the complete canon - Old Testament from the Septuagint and a proper Orthodox translation of the New Testament (rather than just using NKJV as is), completed with input from international Orthodox scholars/translators, acknowledging and remedying the deficiencies of past attempts.
-Commentaries from Blessed Theophylact for the rest of the New Testament
-Complete writings and letters of St. Nektarios of Aegina
-Complete writings and letters of Bps Chrysostomos of Florina, Bp Matthew of Bresthena, along with correspondence between each other, with other local Churches (Jerusalem Patriarchate in particular and ROCOR), and the correspondence of their successors with ROCOR ad the JP from the 1920s through the 1980s
-A true history of Orthodoxy in America, the schism of the Metropolia from ROCOR, and the events leading up to the OCA’s “Autocephaly.”
-Complete writings of Fr. George Florovsky
-The writings of Andrew Psarev and Andrei Kostriukov on the history of ROCOR
Tags: bookstore wish list 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: