OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 12:00:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Saints  (Read 1896 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: May 29, 2003, 01:40:49 PM »

While we are on this topic, does anybody know of any good resources for information on Polish Orthodox Saints?  There is plenty of stuff on Gallic, Celtic, Anglo saints...but what about Poles!!

Thanks,

Nektarios - The half Polish non-Greek Greek Orthodox
James the Just
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 02:41:02 PM »

Bro Nektarios,

Being a 50% Pole myself I am curious also.

james

LISTENING TO GREGORIAN CHANT OF SANTO DOMINGO DE SILOS BENEDICTINE MONKS !!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 02:44:03 PM by Jakub » Logged
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 02:51:27 PM »

Bro Nektarios,

Being a 50% Pole myself I am curious also.

james

LISTENING TO GREGORIAN CHANT OF SANTO DOMINGO DE SILOS BENEDICTINE MONKS !!!

Well, Sw. Wojciech (St. Adalbert of Prague) is VERY highly venerated by the Poles, and he's pre-Schism, so Orthodox.   Of course, there is Child-Martyr Gabriel of Poland, you know.  Not a pretty story!

Hypo-Ortho
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 03:31:25 PM »

in response to Jakub's side bar

"Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper, in gloria seacula.  Amen."

Joe Zollars

Ps:  the listining section should say Dickinson, which is just south of Huoston.

JZ
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 03:32:37 PM by JoeZollars » Logged

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 03:58:52 PM »

Well, Sw. Wojciech (St. Adalbert of Prague) is VERY highly venerated by the Poles, and he's pre-Schism, so Orthodox.  Of course, there is Child-Martyr Gabriel of Poland, you know.  Not a pretty story!

Thanks, Hypo.  Now the trick is finding icons...

Of course I have the Jasna Gora Icon in my Icon Corner already!

Re: Gregorian Chant

Latinam et Latinam Missam amo!  Spero invenire Orthodoxiam Liturgiam in Latina...ita pulchra!

Nectarius (hodie sum Romanus!) Grin

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 04:10:39 PM »

An icon of Swiety Wojciech (Adalbert of Praha) can be found at that (vagante) St. Hilarion Monastery website that Nik suggested as OC.net website for June.  I think you may find an icon of Child-Martyr Gabriel of Poland at the OCA.org website.

Hypo-Ortho
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 04:29:05 PM »

An icon of Swiety Wojciech (Adalbert of Praha) can be found at that (vagante) St. Hilarion Monastery website that Nik suggested as OC.net website for June.  I think you may find an icon of Child-Martyr Gabriel of Poland at the OCA.org website.

Dziekuje!
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 08:28:55 PM »

Nie ma za co, Nektariusz!

I would be remiss if I did not mention the devotion of not only the Polish Orthodox AND the Polish Roman Catholics, but of *ALL* Christian Slavs, to two Greek missionary brothers from Thessalonika, Saints Cyril and Methodius, called "Teachers of the Slavs" in Orthodoxy, and their disciples.  Under the influence of one of the disciples of the "Teachers of the Slavs," a "Roman Slavonic Rite" was established in parts of what is now Poland (including Krakow)--this according to the RC scholar, Fr. Francis Dvornik, in his great work, "Byzantine Missions among the Slavs."  It didn't take Rome too long to suppress the "Roman Slavonic Rite" however---how dare the Polish Slavs of the time have liturgy in a language they could understand!  Angry

Finally, one should read the life of St. Maxim Sandowicz, a Lemko-Rusyn Pole and a priest-martyr for Orthodoxy within the lifetime of some of us "older ones."  St. Maxim was canonized by the autocephalous Polish Orthodox Church.  I have an icon of St. Maxim Sandowicz in my "Thumbs-plus," but I can't remember where I got it.

Hypo-Ortho
Tags: saints Poland Polish Polish Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: