Author Topic: Questions About OC.net That Will Never Be Answered  (Read 5930 times)

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
Re: Questions About OC.net That Will Never Be Answered
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »
Staahko, you can't say you love the RC people but not the Church - the people are *part* of the Church.

How would you feel if I said I love the Serbian Orthodox people, just not their Church?
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
(and p.s., I didn't mean to give you a new name there, STASHKO - just typing from the cell phone again!  Sorry! ;D )
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2010, 08:55:08 PM »
Staahko, you can't say you love the RC people but not the Church - the people are *part* of the Church.

How would you feel if I said I love the Serbian Orthodox people, just not their Church?

Actually, I completely disagree.  I think it's perfectly possible to say you love individuals but not collectives: we're called to love murderers, drug dealers, prostitutes, and the like as individuals, but I dare say we're called to detest their groups.  We find that the Apostles loved those who encountered them, even if they were against their belief systems (Judaizers, Pharisees, et al.).

In the same way, we are called to love individual Muslims, but we cannot say we love Islam, a faith that blasphemes the Living God through its violation of both of the "Prime Directives" (Love God, Love neighbor - even the mortal enemy) that Christ laid out for us.  If any of us shows hate to a Muslim, we are only providing evidence against ourselves at the Dread Judgment; but if any of us accepts Islam as true faith, we condemn ourselves through denial of the Spirit's work in the world.

From an EO POV, it's hard to "love" the RC Church - too many abuses, too many heresies, and too much double-speak, over 1,200+ years to make it possible; but if we don't love the individual Roman Catholic, then we're hardly Orthodox in our praxis.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:55:51 PM by Fr. George »
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Saint Iaint

• This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
  • High Elder
  • The Truth Shall Be Reviled
    • Christ Conquers
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 09:46:47 PM »
Quote from: Stashko
"Why oh why Does it Bother any of you what (Mr.) Persson writes? He's only writing and interpeting How he was taught and learned on the way growing up, but to make fun of him isn't right either."

Right on Stashko... QFT

†IC XC†
†NI KA†
Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2010, 10:16:08 PM »
Fair enough, just pointing out that RC's are taught that "we *are* the Church", so an attack on the communion can be perceived as a personal attack (even if not intended as such).  ;D

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2010, 10:21:42 PM »
Fair enough, just pointing out that RC's are taught that "we *are* the Church", so an attack on the communion can be perceived as a personal attack (even if not intended as such).  ;D

Which is natural; many Orthodox have the same reaction when attacked by RCs, Protestants, and the like.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline PrincessMommy

• High Elder
  • OCA
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2010, 10:26:43 PM »
Alfred will stay around as long as even one other person (or Persson? :D ) responds to him.  If he were shouting into an empty room, he'd leave.   Bu no one seems willing to test that theory. Maybe others find him entertaining too?

I don't.   And I agree...as long as he has an audience he'll stick around.

Offline Father H

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Nea Roma
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »
I rather Read Perssons posts at least there Scripturally Based ,Though he interpetes them differently ,Than Lisening or reading or hearing any preaching done about what the pope has to say Anyday..... ;D
Are you serious?
Notice the grin at the end. 
Haha. He grins at the end of all his posts.

Oh.  I stand corrected. 

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
(and p.s., I didn't mean to give you a new name there, STASHKO - just typing from the cell phone again!  Sorry! ;D )

Everything is alright...You can never Offend me......Love You !!!.....
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:10:46 PM by stashko »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline Dart

• High Elder
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 10:50:50 PM »
 Then Jesus told them this parable: "Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.