OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:23:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox books explaining the faith to Catholics  (Read 963 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: October 23, 2007, 01:46:53 PM »

Are there any Orthodox books which explain the faith in a friendly way to Catholics? Highlighting differences in a kindly way without all the polemics?

Thanks and God Bless.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »

The least offensive would probably be the classic "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware (now Bishop KALISTOS Ware). His presentation is less passionate and judgemental than others.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:28:47 PM »

I find Clark Carlton's The Truth to be less polemical than most. Michael Whelton's Two Paths seemed highly polemical the first time I read it but then years later it seemed rather succinct. I would avoid Shaeffer's Dancing Alone although he is right on some points.  His other book, Popes and Patriarchs, is pretty good.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 02:32:23 PM »

The least offensive would probably be the classic "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware (now Bishop KALISTOS Ware). His presentation is less passionate and judgemental than others.

Thomas

Yeah, I have to agree, that's a good choice.  There's a small book written by an Antiochian priest who grew up Catholic.  I forget what it's called.  It's certainly not all-encompassing.....he does say that he's really grateful for his Catholic upbringing in the book.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Tags: No polemical works please... Convert Books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: