OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 04:18:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 550th Anniversary of the Fall of Constantinople  (Read 3451 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: May 29, 2003, 11:20:18 AM »

Today, May 29, 1453, the city of Constantinople fell to the T------s.  Let us pray for the suffering Orthodox Christians who still reside in that city, and that we may one day regain Hagia Sophia, no matter how slim a chance that may be...

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 12:30:08 PM »

On the happy side, though ...

CHURCH CELEBRATIONS ON THE OCCASION OF THE 300th ANNIVERSARY OF ST. PETERSBURG

Copyright (c) 2002 Communication service of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate
Church celebrations on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the city of St. Peter are taking place on May 27, 2003. The Divine Liturgy was celebrated in St. Isaac Cathedral by Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg and Ladoga, Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, Chairman of the Department for External Church Relations, and other hierarchs.

The holy relics of St. Andrew the First-called, which were brought from the Holy Mountain Athos, were in the Cathedral during the service.

Metropolitan Kirill read the Address of His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg.

After the Liturgy hierarchs, priests and laymen from various parishes of St. Petersburg organized a procession with the cross to the Dvortsovaia Square of St. Petersburg where a thanksgiving service was conducted.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 02:27:33 PM »

Today, May 29, 1453, the city of Constantinople fell to the T------s.  Let us pray for the suffering Orthodox Christians who still reside in that city, and that we may one day regain Hagia Sophia, no matter how slim a chance that may be...

anastasios

Yes, but have we accounted for the calendar difference between Julian and Gregorian 550 years ago?

Shocked

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 02:38:24 PM »

Careful with the T word, anastasios.  Lips Sealed

In IC XC
Samer
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 02:39:41 PM »

Yes, but have we accounted for the calendar difference between Julian and Gregorian 550 years ago?

Shocked

Good point!!!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 02:41:21 PM »

Holy Constantine XI, protect those who today still remain within the walls of the Imperial City.

In IC XC
Samer
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 07:04:07 AM »

The British history magazine History Today has published an article on the Fall of Constantinople available online at:

http://www.historytoday.com/index.cfm?articleid=19435

The same issue also contains a small piece on the assassination of King Alexander and Queen Draga of Serbia in 1903.

http://www.historytoday.com/index.cfm?articleid=19449

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
uturn

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 09:37:02 AM »

Quote from: Brigid of Kildare
The same issue also contains a small piece on the assassination of King Alexander and Queen Draga of Serbia in 1903.

[url
http://www.historytoday.com/index.cfm?articleid=19449[/url]

My, my, how little has Servia changed in the last 100 years.

Constantinople and the Servs?

It was the Servian Despot,
George Brankovic, a former soldier in the Ottoman army,--and the vassel of Mehmet II--who was forced to rue the fact that Servian Orthodox troops participated in the storming of Constantinople and the slaughter of their fellow Christians, while serving in the Ottoman army under Sultan Mehmet II.

(In all fairness to the Servs, they were not the only Christians to attack and despoil the ancient Byzantine capital on that fateful day. Many Christians served in the Ottoman army of Mehmet II; so much so that one wonders whether Constantinople fell 'to the Turks,' or 'for the Turks,' with the assistance of many Christian mercenaries of Byzantine heritage, especially those soldiers from various Slavic tribes. Of course, Mehmet II's chief artillaryman was Genoese and his artillery had a devastating--and lethal-- affect on the defenses of the doomed city.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2003, 10:08:52 PM by uturn » Logged

"It follows, therefore, that imagination is a power of the soul such that, by its very nature, it has no capacity for entering the realm of union with God."--Unseen Warfare.

"For this reason the holy fathers call the devil a painter...a br
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 05:39:05 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

Careful with the T word, anastasios.  Lips Sealed

Might I inquire as to why he should be careful?

John.
MartinIntlStud

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2003, 12:57:16 AM »

"Today, May 29, 1453, the city of Constantinople fell to the T------s.  Let us pray for the suffering Orthodox Christians who still reside in that city, and that we may one day regain Hagia Sophia, no matter how slim a chance that may be..."

To be quite honest. I would rather not get Hagia Sophia back anytime soon. It's just a building, guys, the beauty of Orthodoxy is that it doesn't reside where the Church is not, it is not confined to a building, even one as magnificant as the Temple of Hagia Sophia. It would become immediately a terrorist target as soon as it would be turned over to the Church and that would be very sad indeed. Maybe one day, but I hope not in our lifetime while the political climate is how it is now.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2003, 12:59:08 AM »

Martin,

I think most people recognize that Orthodoxy is the same without that building.  Yet it is a tremendous symbol of our faith, and we need it back, IMO.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2003, 03:02:00 AM »

I still want to know why we shouldn't mention the Turks?

John.
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2003, 05:17:52 PM »

Prodromos, it's a joke.

An attempt at implying that uttering the word brings bad luck.

In IC XC
Samer
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2003, 05:32:40 PM »

Besides, on the internet, we don't have a symbol for spitting after you say a word. (or do we?)

Turks -  Lips Sealed ptew, ptew

P.S. I really don't mean to be offensive, but this is what I saw an old Greek woman do when I was in Greece after she said the word T###ks.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2003, 05:57:04 PM »

This is an old inside joke of the forum, that one cannot utter the "T word".

Lol

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

theotokos

Faith: former muslim want to be an orthodox

Orthodox from Istanbul.

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »

Today, May 29, 1453, the city of Constantinople fell to the T------s.  Let us pray for the suffering Orthodox Christians who still reside in that city, and that we may one day regain Hagia Sophia, no matter how slim a chance that may be...

anastasios

The orthodox doesn't suffer in Istanbul today. I live there and I know some of them. They really have a decent living here. As a Christian Turk I can say that we'll look after them well.

ἡ ἀγάπη ἀνυπόκριτος. ἀποστυγοῦντες τὸ πονηρόν, κολλώμενοι τῶ ἀγαθῶ·
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »

The orthodox doesn't suffer in Istanbul today. I live there and I know some of them. They really have a decent living here. As a Christian Turk I can say that we'll look after them well.
Please be careful when responding in threads that are VERY old such as this one. It is dated June 06, 2003.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 11:59:35 AM »

Today, May 29, 1453, the city of Constantinople fell to the T------s.  Let us pray for the suffering Orthodox Christians who still reside in that city, and that we may one day regain Hagia Sophia, no matter how slim a chance that may be...

anastasios

When I was in Istambul (May 2006), we heard a very different story from the Rum (Orthodox Christians) that lived there. Between the grenades thrown at Churches, the improper taxation by the government on their businesses, etc. they are still treated as second-class citizens, even though many have been Turkish citizens their whole lives and their families have lived in the City for generations.  The other Christians are quite kind to them, and even many of the Muslims (heck, met quite a few "sympathizers" on the boat trip from Heybeliada/Halki to the City), but "the system" treats them quite poorly.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: