OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:25:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Popular Patristics" Series  (Read 2507 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: October 23, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »

Your comments regarding this series from St. Vladimir's Seminary Press is welcome.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:41:16 AM by ignatius » Logged

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:48:08 AM »

I own 'em all. Good, modern translations, with solid introductions and footnotes.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 11:12:38 AM »

I'll echo pensateomnia on this one; I've got most of them, and they're definitely an asset.  And they (at least in my observation) are good at what they're intended for - getting people who aren't "in to" theology to read and enjoy some important texts of the Church.  I've heard many positive responses to folks who have read On the Incarnation, On Wealth and Poverty, and On Marriage and Family Life in particular.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:21:48 AM »

I'll echo pensateomnia on this one; I've got most of them, and they're definitely an asset.  And they (at least in my observation) are good at what they're intended for - getting people who aren't "in to" theology to read and enjoy some important texts of the Church.  I've heard many positive responses to folks who have read On the Incarnation, On Wealth and Poverty, and On Marriage and Family Life in particular.

Father Bless,

Thank you for your endorsement of this series. It's actually very difficult for me to find the right level of depth on these matters as I'm very well-read with regard to more or less 'popular theology pieces' if that makes any sense but actual thesis on some matters are simply over my head due to the fact that I lack a firm foundation often times necessary for their understanding.

Grace and Peace!

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 06:42:35 PM »

Wow, Cleveland got ordained?

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 08:19:34 PM »

^^Last I heard, Cleveland is not (yet) ordained. *ahem*

Also, I echo Cleveland's and Pensate's sentiments regarding this series: the volumes are a great way to sample these treasures, and from this introduction work your way into other topics and writers that interest you!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:20:05 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 10:30:21 PM »

Wow, Cleveland got ordained? 

Goodness, no.  Haven't even set a wedding date yet, let alone an ordination one.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 12:43:56 AM »

*singing* agioi martures...

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 08:55:40 AM »

Cleavland better hurry before all the good ones are taken. Wink

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »

Goodness, no.  Haven't even set a wedding date yet, let alone an ordination one.

I'm sorry if my error put any undue pressure on you to enter the Priesthood. I knew there was a few 'Fathers' on this forum and I thought you might be one of them. My apologies.

God, have mercy on me.  Sad

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 10:36:18 AM »

I'm sorry if my error put any undue pressure on you to enter the Priesthood. I knew there was a few 'Fathers' on this forum and I thought you might be one of them. My apologies.

God, have mercy on me.  Sad

Well, it hasn't happened yet for me, but don't be too hard on yourself! 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 10:36:42 AM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 11:00:37 AM »

So, are the fish biting? Wink

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 11:10:11 AM »

So, are the fish biting? Wink

First of all, prawn boy, I'm engaged.  So the fish have had their fill.

Second of all, it is ironic that the man with the shrimp avatar would be asking about "fish biting."

---------------------
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

Congrats!  And that's kind of the point.  Wasn't picking on you. Smiley

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 01:21:56 PM »

Pray for me Cleveland (as opposed to Father Bless  Embarrassed),

I've read On the Incarnation and 'wow' is that an amazing book! It leaves me with a lot of questions though. Is that normal?

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 02:22:28 PM »

I've read On the Incarnation and 'wow' is that an amazing book! It leaves me with a lot of questions though. Is that normal?

First off, On the Incarnation is my favorite of this entire series! I always schedule myself to read this in the Advent Fast to help guide my thoughts/December sermons/classes, and it just sets t he correct tone for everything else.

Secondly, yes, you should have questions, because this means you are trying to integrate the book into your life. The person who reads this and doesn't have questions is, truly, someone who could just have used to book to keep their kitchen table from tipping over.  Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »

First off, On the Incarnation is my favorite of this entire series! I always schedule myself to read this in the Advent Fast to help guide my thoughts/December sermons/classes, and it just sets t he correct tone for everything else.

Secondly, yes, you should have questions, because this means you are trying to integrate the book into your life. The person who reads this and doesn't have questions is, truly, someone who could just have used to book to keep their kitchen table from tipping over.  Wink

Father Bless,

Ah, then I'm off to a good start thanks to the good suggestions from the posters.   Smiley

What is another good one to get? I only have this one.

Tags: Is this of any value? 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: