OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:38:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Jesus Prayer  (Read 2248 times) Average Rating: 0
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« on: October 23, 2007, 01:36:28 AM »

I have come to find this prayer so beautiful, and I have been saying it many times a day, and sometimes find myself saying it when I do not know how to pray. I was wondering though, is there any connection with what it says in Matthew 6:7 " But when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard with their many words. ''

I personally havent found this as a problem, but I would appreciate clarification.

Thank you!

Gospode Isuse Hriste, sine Boziji, Pomiluj me, Gresnoga

God bless.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:37:39 AM by prayingserb » Logged
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 02:28:47 AM »

This is an argument used by some fundamental protestants about our "prepared" prayers as opposed to there "from the heart" prayers which are thought of on the spot. An argument that I thought of was Christ gave us a prayer (The lords prayer) and told us to pray like this so that means that the vein repetitions is in regard to when we pray a prayer like the Jesus prayer for instance and are only repeating the words instead of saying them with feeling and thought as this can be very dangerous.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:53:11 AM »

The key word here is the qualifier "vain".......repetitive prayer can be good, but vain repititions are not.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:45:25 AM »

^^Great point.  Calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ is never vain regardless of how often it is done (and it should be done often IMHO).  There are several great books available on this very topic.  A few of them are Way of the Pilgrim and Mountain of Silence (which I have) and On the Jesus Prayer (which I do not have).  The verse that was quoted by the OP is often used against Roman Catholics and the Hail Mary (another great prayer), but as soon as Orthodoxy becomes more visible, they'll level the same charges against us.  I believe the verse in question is refering to saying long, drawn out rambling prayers thinking that the more one talks, the more likely God will listen.  This is not the case when it comes to our prayers.  It's good to know their arguments so that we can help them understand more fully when the time presents itself. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:56:02 AM »

I am actually reading the book '' The way of a pilgrim '' and it's what made me ask this question! I find it amazing how a man can go to great lengths for one simple prayer, but his testimonies were amazing.

I interpret it as this; it is not a problem to repeat prayers, but when the prayers are being repeated without concentration and from the heart and, basically just from memory, it is dangerous?
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »

The usual charge is laid at the feet of any church that uses written prayers.  These groups usually feel that all prayer must be spontaneous and will even include the actual praying of the Lord's Prayer by memory, however they insist on utilizing the Lord's prayer as the pattern that MUST be used in creating those "spontaneous" prayers:
1) Praising God
2) Thanking God
3) Asking God for our needs
4) sealing prayer by the word A-MEN

The irony is that once you hear the prayer pattern of a particular preacher,member, or denomination, they tend to go the route of repetition---in other words, their prayers begin to sound alike---as they create their own prayer pattern which they memorize.  In my area of Texas one often hears "and I just want to thank you Jesus for----" repeated in almost every evangelical protestant who prays.  If we get to the prayer in toungues, each community has its own pattern of sounds usually based upon its pastor but different from another community group  even in the same town.  Vain repetions---I believe so.  I will stick to praying from my heart spontaneously, using the prayer book with its saintly prayers---psalms--Godly inspiration, and occassional use of the Jesus Prayer.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 10:51:12 PM »

I used to dislike written prayers because they sounded so flowery and more speech-like than a prayer.  Sometimes they sound just like those "spontaneous" prayers that always contain the words "just" and "Lord" half a million times.  However, the prayers used by the Orthodox church are so much more meaningful, even after we've been praying them hundreds of years.  It's really interesting how much the Jesus prayer covers in so few words.  You could spend a lifetime exploring those words and never plumb the depths.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 10:59:04 PM »

This thread may be useful:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9998.0.html

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »

I have split off and moved a tangential discussion about Protestants and who is going to hell here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13214.msg181479.html#msg181479
Please stay on topic.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 10:50:55 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags: prayer Jesus Prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: