OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:22:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all you Depeche Mode Fans..............  (Read 1992 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: October 22, 2007, 03:35:40 AM »

Dave Gahan has another solo album coming out on Tuesday. It is called Hour Glass. His first single is called "Kingdom". It is totally awesome; quite frankly, it sounds even better than a lot of Depeche Mode stuff (which is saying a lot). Here is a link, let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-2KVLR2UQ

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 05:49:33 PM »

Cooool.  Cool

I like the prominence of the "One Way" signs in the video. It really adds to the music.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:19:35 PM »

If it weren't for my roommate, who's turntable's, cd player, computer, car sound system and mp3 players are always spinning Depeche Mode, I might never have heard of this song Cheesy!  And though I'm not a huge DM fan (I do like them), I really like this song.  I haven't decided how I feel about the lyrics yet; I've posted them so you can decide for yourself (as well as sing along to the video Cheesy).

"Can you feel me coming?
Open the door, it’s only me
I have that desperate feeling
And trouble is were I’m going to be

I know you hear me knocking
So open the door and set me free

If there’s a kingdom beyond it all
Is there a God that loves us all
Do we believe in love at all?
I’m still pretending I’m not a fool

So in your infinite wisdom
You show me how this life should be
All your love and glory
Doesn’t mean that much to me

I’m still pretending I’m not a fool"

Dave's getting older now, and so he's probably grappling with life's bigger issues these days.  I think his music nowadays is about genuinely questioning God's existence rather than just mocking like he used to do.  Whatever the case may be, he's proven he doesn't need Martin as much as we though.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 07:48:44 PM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:40:08 PM »

yea.....Dave Gahan has one of the most unique voices in the music world. It will be another good one for sure. I have heard Depeche Mode will be coming out with another album down the road also. Can't wait!

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 10:21:46 PM »

If it weren't for my roommate, who's turntable's, cd player, computer, car sound system and mp3 players are always spinning Depeche Mode, I might never have heard of this song Cheesy!  And though I'm not a huge DM fan (I do like them), I really like this song.  I haven't decided how I feel about the lyrics yet; I've posted them so you can decide for yourself (as well as sing along to the video Cheesy).

"Can you feel me coming?
Open the door, it’s only me
I have that desperate feeling
And trouble is were I’m going to be

I know you hear me knocking
So open the door and set me free

I’m still pretending I’m not a fool

So in your infinite wisdom
You show me how this life should be
All your love and glory
Doesn’t mean that much to me

I’m still pretending I’m not a fool"

Dave's getting older now, and so he's probably grappling with life's bigger issues these days.  I think his music nowadays is about genuinely questioning God's existence rather than just mocking like he used to do.  Whatever the case may be, he's proven he doesn't need Martin as much as we though.

Yeah, it struck me Dave is dealing with theology and his existential existence. I feel his lyrics are more honest than Martin's. I respect his openness. I view the video through theological lens. It seems the video is showing how God is near, and far at the same time. The lights represent His presence around us and in us even when we aren't paying attention.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 11:11:23 PM »

^^I agree, good analysis! There are some other great songs on his new forthcoming album. Check these two gyms out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbZswgCbKCo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rW9derIwIg

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 11:44:42 PM »

^^I agree, good analysis! There are some other great songs on his new forthcoming album. Check these two gyms out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbZswgCbKCo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rW9derIwIg

I checked them out but didn't see any free weights or nautilus equipment in either of those gyms. Cheesy  Maybe they're Jims? Wink
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 11:45:40 PM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 12:22:29 AM »

I checked them out but didn't see any free weights or nautilus equipment in either of those gyms. Cheesy  Maybe they're Jims? Wink

Now that is a gem!

Troparion - Tone 1:
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 12:44:51 AM »

LOL!  ; * son, you caught me in a moment of spelling error weakness! I was really off on that one no doubt! Maybe I'm going to the gym too much..... Cheesy

*Expletive deleted

Αριστοκλής
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 07:02:47 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 10:46:19 PM »

What Jibrahil is saying is that him and Nacho are roommates. They are basically like Burt and Ernie.

Troparion - Tone 1:
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 11:17:50 PM »

What Jibrahil is saying is that him and Nacho are roommates. They are basically like Burt and Ernie.
And he's freakin' me out with all the rubber duckies! Cheesy

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 08:29:47 AM »

LOL! 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 06:39:19 PM »

Cheesy

Troparion - Tone 1:
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 10:22:42 PM »

For all of you Cingular folks, Dave Gahans new songs are available as ringtones. Here is the link

http://mediamall.wireless.att.com/sf/storefront/endUserHTMLSearchDirectory.jsp?dc=CF45508&_DARGS=/sf/storefront/endUserHTMLSearchDirectory.jsp&sf=CFHTML&dc=CF45508

Troparion - Tone 1:
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: