OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 10:59:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers for women in childbirth?  (Read 6271 times) Average Rating: 0
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« on: October 21, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »

Hello,

Does anyone on this list know of prayers for women about to (or in the process of) undergoing childbirth? (Preferably something short & simple).

I've found plenty of prayers of thanksgiving after a child is born, but nothing for women about to have a baby.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 11:30:48 PM »

Indeed, I would be interested in hearing about this as well as Mr. Y and I are expecting our firstborn in about two weeks.  If she waits that long.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 02:03:08 AM »

Doesn't that prayer go something like "Oh Lord when is this going to be over?".   Roll Eyes   Sorry sorry.  Things aren't really that bad but if you manage to concentrate on anything more than the Jesus Prayer you're doing good.  There is no reason you couldn't compose something yourself or ask your priest for some tips if you're stuck.  It should be joyful.  I wouldn't let in any references to Genesis and the Lord's cursing of Eve and all womankind to give birth in pain and travail.  Definitely a downer. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 12:14:02 AM »

Prayer for a Woman in Hard Labor at Childbirth

O Lord God Almighty, Creator of all things and Giver of knowledge to mankind; Who fashioned the body of man from the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, granting him Your blessings, that he might increase and multiply by means of the birth of children: We fervently entreat You Who loves mankind to bless this Your servant, N., who is with child, granting her help and comfort at this trying time. Ease her labor and bring her to a safe delivery.  Yea, O Lord, open the treasury of Your mercies and Your compassion to her, and let her give birth to a fruitful vine to be a cause of joy to her all the days of her life.  For You are blessed, together with Your Only-begotten Son, and Your Most-holy, Good and Life-creating Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags: prayer childbirth 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: