OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 09:59:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rite Burial Service and Requiem Liturgy  (Read 2145 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: July 18, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »

Dear Friends

I don't remember if I had previously posted this, but here is this question.

Can someone tell me how is the Western Orthodox (Gregorian Rite) Burial service performed?

Is it exactly the same burial service and requiem liturgy that is celebrated in the Traditional Roman Rite? I say this because some of the prayers make reference to purgatory (according to Catholics). The Requiem Liturgy is very ancient, some prayers come from the apostolic times.

Can you post a link with the Requiem Liturgy according to the WRV?

Is the Dies Irae sung? The Dies Irae was originally intended for Advent season in the West, probably coming from the Gallican and Mozarabic liturgies, that make reference to the Second coming of Christ and the Final Judgement during this season. However it became part of the Requiem liturgy in the medieval times (or maybe earlier) but some movements within the Roman church discouraged its use, they thought it was too medieval and that the Requiem liturgy should be meant to confort the families and not to make them afraid. That is the reason why French composers Fauré and Duruflé, who did not write music for this sequence in their Requiem Masses.

Thanks!

VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »

Monsignor John Mangels said they do, and that he wants the Requiem Mass complete with black vestments and black candles when he goes to the Lord.

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:01:45 PM »

Monsignor John Mangels said they do, and that he wants the Requiem Mass complete with black vestments and black candles when he goes to the Lord.

Very minor nitpick: It's unbleached beeswax candles, not black.

And on this subject, does anybody know if catafalques are authorized for use within the AWRV?
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:19:06 AM »

Purgatory is not part of Orthodox teaching.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »

Is it exactly the same burial service and requiem liturgy that is celebrated in the Traditional Roman Rite? I say this because some of the prayers make reference to purgatory (according to Catholics). The Requiem Liturgy is very ancient, some prayers come from the apostolic times.

Can you post a link with the Requiem Liturgy according to the WRV?

The Requiem and Office of the Dead do not make any direct reference to purgatory that I've seen, other than requests to deliver the deceased from hell and to cleanse them of their sins, which is no different than that found in the Byzantine prayers for the dead. From what I've seen, the Office and Requiem are taken with no changes from the Catholic texts.

Here is the Office of the Dead, and here are the Requiem propers.

Is the Dies Irae sung?

Yes, and it's printed in the Orthodox Missal.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »

I have attended a Requiem Mass and was very much listening for anything that would send red flags and I heard nothing that was theologically incorrect. I didn't care for the service but to each his own.

Joseph
Tags: burial funeral Western Rite 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: