OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:19:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrismation  (Read 6047 times) Average Rating: 0
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2007, 07:05:03 PM »

For Latin Catholics First Communion is done at age 7/second grade.  Confirmation varies.  Some diocese do it at the time of First Communion, others around 12, others wait until high school.  It was St. Pius X who allowed First Communion to be given before Confirmation which at that time was around 12/13.  Of note, it is common in some Latin American countries to confirm at baptism and this may be a carry over of the Mozarabic Rite which did so.

Ea Semper (1907) forbade Greek Catholic priests from chrismating, reseving it to the bishop, but of all the Latinizations that were ever attempted to be foisted upon Greek Catholics this one was, to my knowledge, universally ignored and was certainly a dead letter after the creation of the Exarchates in 1924. 

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
stewie

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I thought it better than starting a new one.  My wife and I were wondering about this topic as we are planning the baptism of our daugher.

Now I'm from an Antiochian background and she from a Greek.  At the various baptisms we have attended, she was suprised that we don't have the godparents slather the child in oil after "the seal of the gift of the holy spirit".  I've never paid much attention to this, but apparently this is a big deal to the Greeks! 

Now my question is - is this a cultural thing?  I'm trying to satisfy her that it doesn't matter which church we go to for the baptism (we're members at both) but this seems to be a very important issue to her.  Of course, we can always ask our priest to allow it for the ceremony, but I was wondering what the origins of the practice were, and whether it is widely practiced among different jurisdictions.

Thanks.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2008, 10:07:46 AM »

Yes it is cultural.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags: Chrismation 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: