OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 07:51:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Wedding after Civil Wedding  (Read 3824 times) Average Rating: 0
authio
Elder

« on: October 19, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »

Hi all,

I heard that if a couple has a civil wedding prior to the Christian wedding, that the Christian wedding is only the crowning.  True?

Authio

Edit: I took the format tags out of the title line, since they weren't working. - Cleveland
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 01:03:58 PM by cleveland » Logged

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 01:06:30 PM »

Hi all,

I heard that if a couple has a civil wedding prior to the Christian wedding, that the Christian wedding is only the crowning.  True? 

Hmmm.  Are you referring to a situation where a couple gets their civil marriage months or years before their Christian wedding, or do you mean that they got their civil marriage a few days before?

I would suppose that the answer would make a difference in how one would answer the original question, since I know of priests who would not do the full wedding service if a couple had been civilly married and cohabitating before their Church wedding.

IIRC, before the Church was given sole responsibility for marriage in the Empire, couples did indeed have to get a civil marriage before their church one, at least if they wanted them to be legal and all.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 01:07:36 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 01:17:09 PM »

In many European countries, couples are required to have a civil ceremony before any religious ceremony.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:17:10 PM »

In Ukraine during Communist times, the service of wedding remained identical regardless of the conditions. It has not been amended later. In 1960-1980, due to various reasons some people had even a Church wedding, and a civil wedding could follow much later. But those cases were rare. Overall, because of persecutions, public Church weddings were not that common. Instead, often such services (as well as Baptisms) were served behind closed doors of a church. Upon destruction of Communism (and in some cases even prior to that) some people had the Church wedding even 20+ after the civil wedding, and they could be even Atheists at the time of the start of their marriage.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 04:56:04 AM »

Australian Law no longer recognises non-civil marriages. A marriage certificate issued by a religious celebrant no longer has any legal authority- the couple must be civilly married or obtain a civil marriage registration certificate. This is now considered an essential element of separation of Church and State.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 04:56:26 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 11:29:29 AM »

In many European countries, couples are required to have a civil ceremony before any religious ceremony.

In Italy, unless you are Roman Catholic and having a Roman Catholic wedding ceremony, I know this is the case.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »

In Ukraine during Communist times, the service of wedding remained identical regardless of the conditions. It has not been amended later. In 1960-1980, due to various reasons some people had even a Church wedding, and a civil wedding could follow much later. But those cases were rare. Overall, because of persecutions, public Church weddings were not that common. Instead, often such services (as well as Baptisms) were served behind closed doors of a church. Upon destruction of Communism (and in some cases even prior to that) some people had the Church wedding even 20+ after the civil wedding, and they could be even Atheists at the time of the start of their marriage.

My wife and I will celebrate our 25-th anniversary next July. We still aren't wed in church. Sad

Love never fails.
BasilCan

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 03:33:48 PM »

My convert, priest friend was "betrothed and crowned" before he was ordained deacon, even though he and his wife had been married for several years before hand (in his Episcopal church) and had children. Greeks do this and Bishop JOSEPH and BASIL of the Antiochian (and maybe other Bishops) encourage this.

Thus, the marriage service is normally done altogether even if one was married in a civil service. Now remember, in most churches, if one is married outside the church and do not have a marriage service inside the church, they technically excommunicate themselves from the church and can only reenter the sacraments of the church if they agree to be married inside the church (betrothed and crowned) or confess (particularly if they marry a non-Christian or their spouse will not agree to be married in the church).

So, Heorhij, if you were Orthodox when you were married, you is busted!!! If you were not, depending on your jurisdiction, you are either accepted as a couple "as is" or you need to be married properly!!!!!

Basil
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 03:55:36 PM »

So, Heorhij, if you were Orthodox when you were married, you is busted!!! If you were not, depending on your jurisdiction, you are either accepted as a couple "as is" or you need to be married properly!!!!!

We've already discussed this in a previous thread. There are several unique pastoral issues involved. Ultimately, questions of marriage (or remarriage) are decided by the Bishop.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »

Basil

I was not an Orthodox when I married - my parents did not even bother to baptize me. My wife was an Orthodox (she was baptized and chrismated Orthodox as an infant), but she never attended but one church service in her entire life until many years after we married. It was the USSR...

Now, I do realize that I have to be married properly in church, but my wife does not want to hear about it...

Love never fails.
rayoncena

Faith: god
Jurisdiction: europe

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 09:01:03 AM »

I have seen in many cultures that before going for a Christian wedding they go for Civil wedding and the reason behind this is to meets the state’s necessary legal requirements and nothing more than that.

WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »

This is interesting. A friend of mine was married Sunday (by a Protestant pastor), but he is being received into the Orthodox Church, chrismated, and receiving his first Holy Communion this Sunday. He will be married in the Orthodox Church two weeks from this Sunday. I have wondered how his priest was handling it. As far as I know, they plan to live together as husband and wife (and presumably are at this minute).

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 07:10:19 AM »

With new security requirements for travel in the US it is becoming more common place to have a civil marriage a couple of months before the church wedding in order to begin the process of securing the right documents. In these cases the civil marriage exist only on paper to allow name changes and passport updates. The real wedding takes place in the church with the full ceremony and no ones differently except the bride, the groom and the priest since no civil certificate needs to be signed. 

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: