OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:43:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: First off, what type/style of beer do you like and why
Wheat - 2 (9.1%)
Stout - 4 (18.2%)
Ale - 4 (18.2%)
Lager - 8 (36.4%)
Other - 4 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A tribute to....BEER  (Read 5596 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2007, 01:20:32 PM »

In Kyiv, when I was there last time (summer 2006), a liter bottle of Obolon' was substantially cheaper than a 12-fl.oz. can of Budweiser. Smiley And you know what, I saw quite a lot of people eagerly buying Budweiser - they would say, ah, that's American, cool, must be great stuff...

That is crazy.  I don't think there was Budweiser in Russia, but MGD was popular in Moscow and Piter.  And of course there was the insanity of standing in line for twenty minutes to get a биг мак.  Next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll have to make it a point to visit Ukraine and try some of the other beers you mentioned.  As long as words like pivo, vodka, cheburek and the like are the same in Ukrainian, I'll be set.   

I'll take a liter of Obolon', Stepan Razin, Baltika or Sibirskaya Korona (or one of each  Grin) and a shashlyk any day over Bud and a big mac.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2007, 05:00:50 PM »

I'm getting ready for some Beck's and a Double Double from In n Out...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2007, 07:10:44 PM »

I've got a Northwind Imperial Stout that I'm waiting to drink til I have a while to enjoy it. I've never had an imperial stout before so I hope it's good.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »

I've never had an imperial stout before so I hope it's good.

Are you implying that any Imperial Stout could not be good? Is Outrage!  Smiley

When I was brewing my stouts, I always liked to add a bit of oatmeal to the malt..it kept the dryness and added a good 'mouth feel' to the stout, and made for the proper finish to each mouthful.

Well, maybe something like this for Christmas, when I can have a proper piece of beef to go with the stout or porter...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 07:34:18 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2007, 09:16:22 PM »

When I was brewing my stouts, I always liked to add a bit of oatmeal to the malt..it kept the dryness and added a good 'mouth feel' to the stout, and made for the proper finish to each mouthful.
  If I didn't have a paper to write tonight I'd be drinking it now. You're tempting me Cool
Linichka1
Banned

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2007, 08:14:06 AM »

The best beer I ever had was Union Beer in Slovenia.  Guess the locals were in agreement, because there was a Union tap alongside soft drinks taps even in the fastfood joints.  Worst beer:  Macabee from my dear homeland, so bad I misspelled the name and won't bother to correct it.  Here in Poland, Warka is my favorite. 
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2007, 01:22:09 AM »

Are you implying that any Imperial Stout could not be good? Is Outrage!  Smiley

So I had this tonight. It was amazing. Though I forgot that imperial stouts were higher ABV til I had already had half of it.  Shocked
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2007, 04:36:06 PM »

Time for some Winter Ale and a samich...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: