OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:39:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: First off, what type/style of beer do you like and why
Wheat - 2 (9.1%)
Stout - 4 (18.2%)
Ale - 4 (18.2%)
Lager - 8 (36.4%)
Other - 4 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A tribute to....BEER  (Read 5719 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: October 18, 2007, 06:43:26 PM »

To lighten things up a bit, I thought I'd resurrect one of my favorite topics/pastimes/medicines/hobbies and oh yeah, drinks.  Almost everyone has a favorite beer, so hows about sharing it with the rest of us?  I know this has been discussed before, but maybe tastes have changed or you've discovered something unbeknowst heretofore...Hopefully, I'll learn about a new beer I hadn't heard of before! <note: Coors, American Budweiser, Bush... ain't beer Wink>

For my money, the all around best (so far) is Paulaner Heffeweizen.  It's crisp, not too filling, and has a beautiful finish.  If I want something a little more fuller, I'll go for an Oatmeal Stout (it complements hearty stews as well as sweet dishes), or Sam Adams Cream Stout.  My Romanian girlfriend really likes Heineken.  I enjoy a Heine now and then, but one must take precaution not expose the green bottle to too much light for fear of skunkiness.  Same goes with any light or clear bottle.

Beer...It's what's for dinner! Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 06:47:50 PM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 06:47:12 PM »

Well, my favorite brews were all ones I made myself...but even then, my favorites were brown ales reminiscent of those found on the Emerald Isle; bitters like that of North Yorkshire; and lambics or fruit ales, often using a Belgian recipe.

Hopefully, if I can ever sell my home in Ohio, I can bring everything all back together and brew again. Until then, all I have are my memories...

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
authio
Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 06:50:01 PM »

Mac and Jack's is so far my favorite.....I've only been legal to drink in the US (21 years old) for 6 months now, and this local Seattle staple still soothes my tongue.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 06:55:47 PM »

My favorite beers are beers brewed in my native Ukraine. I know, I know, they are not world-famous (hopefully, "yet"), but there's just something amazing about them. My favorites are Obolon', Rohan', Chernihivs'ke. They are probably closer to "lager" type than to "ale" type, strong (but not overly bitter and not "stout"), crisp, with great after-taste.

I also like Czech beers, particularly Prazdroj, known in the USA as Pilsner Urquel (I drank in in Czech Republic and I must say it tastes better over there, probably because it does not like to be transported).

Because I have lived in Seattle for over 7 years, I became familiar with good Northwestern ales like Red Hook and Ballard Bitter IPA - they are good!

Hefeweizen, Blue Moon and the like, arrrgh... I like their taste, but my stomach does not handle them well, they are too acidic to me.

Love never fails.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 06:59:06 PM »

Give me a good clean crisp lager.

Jibrail - which one did you dring when you were a Muslim  Grin

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 06:59:36 PM »

I have to agree with the Paulaner. It's a staple around my house. The Pilsner Urquell is also very good, though I haven't had it in Czechland (the group I went to Prague with was a teetotalling crowd). This time of year I also enjoy the Sam Adams Oktoberfest and very soon the Winter Lager. Both are quite good, especially on tap.

One I've taken a liking to recently is Ichiban Kirin. It's Japanese, which I know seems odd, but it really is good. It's a light beer and has a very smooth taste.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 07:03:02 PM »

One I've taken a liking to recently is Ichiban Kirin. It's Japanese, which I know seems odd, but it really is good. It's a light beer and has a very smooth taste.

Not at all! Actually, one of my favorite commercial beers is Tsing Tao---many folks think that beer is some sort of sub-rate imitation brew, and not the superb elixir it truly is.

I never did find any Harbin Beer, like we were discussing in an earlier thread, but I would like to compare these two brews.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 07:08:20 PM »

Not at all!
Not at all odd or not at all good?  Wink

Actually, one of my favorite commercial beers is Tsing Tao---many folks think that beer is some sort of sub-rate imitation brew, and not the superb elixir it truly is.
Tsing Tao was quite a discovery for me. I like trying new beers, and this one was "just to see if the Chinese could do it right." Answer: They can.

My favorite beer of all, though, has to be the Newcastle Brown Ale. It's simply perfect.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 07:26:38 PM »

Tsing Tao was quite a discovery for me. I like trying new beers, and this one was "just to see if the Chinese could do it right." Answer: They can.

My favorite beer of all, though, has to be the Newcastle Brown Ale. It's simply perfect.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Brown Ale. 
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Tsing Tao.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Sam October.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Beer.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 08:16:04 PM »

I enjoy a Guiness drought with a good smoke.  Wink

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 08:24:38 PM »

Give me a good clean crisp lager.

Jibrail - which one did you dring when you were a Muslim  Grin
LOL!  Ironically, the Turkish Muslims drink something called raki, which is pretty much the same thing as arak- what the Lebonese drink.  Both are almost identical to the Greek Ouzo.  All three turn milky when you add water, hence the Lebonese name which means (I think) Lion's Milk.  I used to love Ouzo, but after a wild night at OB's pad drinking Romana Sambuca a few years back, I almost can't handle any licorice drinks.  Almost.  Wink

And I can't believe I forgot Smythwick's!  From the same folk's who bring us Guinness; it's just a little better than Newcastle Brown Ale (another good one I learned from 'ol Nacho and OB!)... Is anyone else gettin' thirsty?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 08:34:05 PM »

Sambuca? Too sweet. Ouzo's the ticket for those who don't know Metaxa.

Can't drink beer for medical reasons...  Sad

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 11:09:51 PM »

Got it. Wink 

Can't drink beer for medical reasons...  Sad
Beer is medicine. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 11:10:45 PM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 11:54:45 PM »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Minus the smoke.  Guiness.

Our Cleveland local (Great Lakes Brewery) makes some fine beers as well.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 12:35:33 AM »

So, I'm retarded, I guess, and hit Ale when I meant to click Stout.

Sigh.

OB, I'm with you on the Guinness and the Cig.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 12:57:51 AM »

So, I'm retarded, I guess, and hit Ale when I meant to click Stout.

Sigh.

OB, I'm with you on the Guinness and the Cig.

High five brotha'

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 01:09:14 AM »

Many good choices. Newcastle's probably my favorite big national brewery. Samuel Smith is up there too, as well as Belhaven, Smithwick's, Old Speckled Hen and Sam Adams (the ales and wheats more than the lagers). I really like Franziskaner, which happens to be the Pope's favorite.

But my favorite beers of all are cask conditioned ales, otherwise known as "real ales." They are the BEST! Flat, 54 degrees, and fantastic!

I also have a weakness for cider, most especially the unfiltered, less processed kind (like scrumpy).
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 02:03:08 AM »

Ya know, Gabriel, for your poll to allow me only one choice, unless I can vote multiple times, I think the question could be worded better.  Asking what beer I like?  I like many styles, mostly the Hefeweisen (a wheat beer) and the Porter, a beer that you don't even have on the list.  What about the IPAs and the Bocks, which are also good beers?  To offer a voter only one choice, maybe your question should ask, "What is your [one] favorite beer?" Wink

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Smiley  Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.  Gooooooooooooooooooooood.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 02:22:34 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 03:02:01 AM »

Ya know, Gabriel, for your poll to allow me only one choice, unless I can vote multiple times, I think the question could be worded better.  Asking what beer I like?  I like many styles, mostly the Hefeweisen (a wheat beer) and the Porter, a beer that you don't even have on the list.  What about the IPAs and the Bocks, which are also good beers?  To offer a voter only one choice, maybe your question should ask, "What is your [one] favorite beer?" Wink

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Smiley  Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.  Gooooooooooooooooooooood.
My bad, brother.  Feel free to list every one of your favs!  Hopefully I'll learn about a new brew. Wink   For instance, Nacho and I hit the town tonight and I had a Young's Double Chocolate Stout.  Freakin' amazing! 

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 03:06:28 AM »

...I really like Franziskaner, which happens to be the Pope's favorite.

I do still happen to have a bottle in the fridge.  Wink  Yum.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 03:51:30 AM »

My bad, brother.  Feel free to list every one of your favs!  Hopefully I'll learn about a new brew. Wink   For instance, Nacho and I hit the town tonight and I had a Young's Double Chocolate Stout.  Freakin' amazing! 
One of my favorites--I plead with Αριστοκλής to not bleep out any of this, because I'm merely stating the name of the beer--is Arrogant Bastard Ale by Stone Brewery of San Diego.  "You're not worthy to drink this beer."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 03:55:40 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 04:13:58 AM »

Unless you are referring to a member's parentage, and that falsely or without proof, I wouldn't 'bleep" this  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 09:08:47 AM »

Porter!

Porter!

Porter!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 10:35:12 AM »

^^Yes, I'd rather drink porter than any other beer if I'm just sitting with some friends.

But still, there are times...like on Meatfare Sunday and Presbytera may make a Beef Wellington, and I had my own special stout served cellar temperature in a proper pub glass, with just the right amount of head to be able to support a dollar coin, the dry black patent malt lending its aroma to the meat as it is being carved...mmmmm...

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »

Is there any truth to the story that the stream which the Guiness people use for their beer was once upon a time brackish, and that a pre-schism saint prayed over the water and it was cleansed?  If true, would this make Guiness a type of Holy Water?

---------------------
Trudy

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 10:46:31 AM »

^^Yes, I'd rather drink porter than any other beer if I'm just sitting with some friends.

But still, there are times...like on Meatfare Sunday and Presbytera may make a Beef Wellington, and I had my own special stout served cellar temperature in a proper pub glass, with just the right amount of head to be able to support a dollar coin, the dry black patent malt lending its aroma to the meat as it is being carved...mmmmm...

So what time is dinner?  I'll bring dessert.

Cheesy

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?  Micah 6:8
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »

You know, after all that talk about bringing your brewing equipment to school (that never materialized), and now your bringing up your homebrews, I'm definitely going to have to come down there once you and your stuff are re-united. Either that, or there's going to be a report about a burglary in Dayton.....

(Mwa-ha-ha-ha).

---------------------
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 10:56:27 AM »

So what time is dinner?  I'll bring dessert.

Cheesy

I'll bring the μεζές dishes.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 11:29:14 AM »

You are not allowed to type such things on a Friday, Father! 

It's sinful to lead others into temptation! Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 11:49:07 AM »

You are not allowed to type such things on a Friday, Father! 

It's sinful to lead others into temptation! Wink

Ah, yes... But somehow, somewhere, it is not a Friday Wink

---------------------
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 01:48:11 PM »

Some peoples here show a bit of Trappist traits I think...good taste in beer & ale

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 02:07:04 PM »

One of my favorites--I plead with Αριστοκλής to not bleep out any of this, because I'm merely stating the name of the beer--is Arrogant Bastard Ale by Stone Brewery of San Diego.  "You're not worthy to drink this beer."

That stuff is great! I got my brother a bottle as a bit of a joke. He being a Coors Light kind of guy, his taste buds were not worthy! I had the whole thing to myself.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 02:09:57 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »

So, the Pope likes the stuff, eh?

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 04:53:31 PM »

My favorites are Obolon', Rohan', Chernihivs'ke. They are probably closer to "lager" type than to "ale" type, strong (but not overly bitter and not "stout"), crisp, with great after-taste

Оболонь!  Вот это пиво!

I love that stuff.  Kiosks in Moscow would sell liter bottles for fairly cheap.  Lot's of fun and good memories from Obolon'.  I don't think I can get it here though. 
jayjay

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 09:04:02 AM »

Coming from a country that knows good beer (Australia), and having travelled extensively through Nth America/Western/Eastern Europe, nothing beats a Tasmanian beer "Boags Draught". Though, when I was in a small town in Germany about 1/2 hr west of Hamburg (can't remember the name), they had the best home made dark beer I've ever tasted (and I've tasted more than a few beers in my time). Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 11:30:29 AM »

I know I keep saying this, but I can't get over how great these two beers are!

Oatmeal Stout and Double Chocolate Stout, both by Young's of England... Also Oatmeal Stout by Samuel Smith's of England...

Love Love Love 'em!

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2007, 05:06:34 AM »

Just thinking, maybe because I'm drinking one right now, of another beer with a good name to go with its good taste:  Dead Guy Ale by Rogue Brewery in Newport, Oregon.  After sufficient exposure to light, parts of the bottle's label actually glow in the dark.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 05:12:42 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »

I do enjoy the Fall/Winter seasons, there is a plethora of brews available to sample and enjoy... Grin

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2007, 01:37:58 PM »

Thanks for resurrecting this topic!

My roommate and I got an amazing deal on flights to London for Christmastime. You just reminded me that I'm going to be in beer heaven soon! We're going to take a trip out to western England (he wants to check out a Bible college in Gloucester)---cask ales and scrumpy in pub after pub! Sigh---if only the pound were not worth $2.09.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2007, 04:49:49 PM »

Оболонь!  Вот это пиво!

I love that stuff.  Kiosks in Moscow would sell liter bottles for fairly cheap.  Lot's of fun and good memories from Obolon'.  I don't think I can get it here though. 

In Kyiv, when I was there last time (summer 2006), a liter bottle of Obolon' was substantially cheaper than a 12-fl.oz. can of Budweiser. Smiley And you know what, I saw quite a lot of people eagerly buying Budweiser - they would say, ah, that's American, cool, must be great stuff...

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2007, 01:44:09 AM »

In Kyiv, when I was there last time (summer 2006), a liter bottle of Obolon' was substantially cheaper than a 12-fl.oz. can of Budweiser. Smiley And you know what, I saw quite a lot of people eagerly buying Budweiser - they would say, ah, that's American, cool, must be great stuff...
That's like my trip to China when, two weeks into the three-week tour, a good number of us couldn't wait to eat at the first McDonalds we saw.  Good ol' American food, if food it can be called. Roll Eyes
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2007, 02:02:33 AM »

After sufficient exposure to light, parts of the bottle's label actually glow in the dark.

Dead Guy's not too bad; just be careful with the light exposure- too much makes beer skunky <insert emoticon holding it's nose>...

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2007, 03:17:37 AM »

Dead Guy's not too bad; just be careful with the light exposure- too much makes beer skunky <insert emoticon holding it's nose>...
Fortunately, Dead Guy is bottled in a brown bottle.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2007, 12:05:16 PM »

I know I keep saying this, but I can't get over how great these two beers are!

Oatmeal Stout and Double Chocolate Stout, both by Young's of England... Also Oatmeal Stout by Samuel Smith's of England...

Love Love Love 'em!
Never had Young's, but you did manage to list two of my favorite styles of beer in one sentence.  I <3 stouts (except Guinness).
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2007, 12:09:42 PM »

Leinenkrugel Harvest Wheat (The best beer I've ever had)
Blue Moon w/ Orange
Rogue Hazelnut Brown ale
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: